Big Van Vader will destroy Roddy Piper

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Before the polls open and the discussion gets hot and heavy, I want to take a moment to express the tremendous gap that exists between Big Van Vader and Rowdy Roddy Piper, and why for all intents and purposes, Vader should defeat Piper by roughly an 8-1 margin.

1. The size advantage

This one is easy. Vader outweights Piper by, well, basically another Piper. And since Piper is neither a) strong enough to muscle the big man around, nor b) fast enough to utilize a stick-and-move strategy, he's helpless to the big man's immensity.

2. The brawling aspect

Piper was never a technical marvel. He wasn't a high flyer. He was an all-out brawler / fighter. He comes straight at you, which is the worst possible strategy to employ against Big Van Vader. Why? Because Vader is a better, stronger, and tougher brawler than Piper. Show me all the videos you want of Piper smashing a beer bottle over his head and bleeding - I'll counter with Vader popping his eye back into his head to finish a match with a true legendary brawler in Stan Hansen. I'll take Vader's uppercuts in the corner over Piper's short jabs any day of the week.

3. The agility thing

I can't recall ever seeing Piper come off the top rope. I can't recall Vader ever NOT using his amazing agility and ariel assault to flatten his opponents. Hell, even Jack Swagger has been inspired by the Big Van Crush (turnbuckle extending splash) and has parlayed it into his own finisher. Piper is just outmanned and outclassed.

4. The history

Piper is to World Championships what the NY Mets are to no-hitters. A non-factor. Piper has held really just two major titles - WWF Intercontinental (he won it from...THE MOUNTIE) and WCW United States. He went into WCW like a ball of fire, feuding with the Hogans and Flairs of the world, and shortly thereafter, became Buff Bagwell's bitch in the creation of the Judy Bagwell saga. Vader, on the other hand, has been a World Champion on more than one occassion in Japan, Mexico, Germany, and the United States. Where Piper routinely lost big matches, Vader often won them.

There is nothing Piper has on Vader, outside of a great interview. And that won't win you a match. You have to back the mouth up, and in a match like this one, Piper doesn't have enough ammo. He's attacking a tank with a toothpick.

Vader wins, HUGE.

Why wouldn't Vader squash Piper? I can't find arguments to support Piper. I suppose people might say that if Shawn Michaels who is built similar to Roddy can beat Vader, then the Hot Rod can. Other than that, I have nothing to suggest how Piper can win this match.

Yeah, I have to agree Piper should stand no chance (kayfabe). Vader is too big, too physical for Piper. Like you said, Piper wasn't a power guy. He wasn't a speed guy... I really have no clue how to define him, outside of a skinny, drunk-looking brawler. In terms of kayfabe, Vader gets my vote.

But there are some people who will not be voting kayfabe, and that's fine, it's been said you can vote however you like. But when you match up the careers of Piper and Vader, the only advantage Piper has is career length. Vader was a Worlds champion. He has had long-lasting feuds with guys like Ric Flair, Sting, Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, and The Undertaker. He won a lot of matches against a lot of high-caliber guys. To just dismiss Vader, and say Roddy Piper had a better career would also be a bit off. Piper may have the more popular name, but I'm not so quick to say he had the more quality career. If he did, it wasn't by much.

I suppose people might say that if Shawn Michaels who is built similar to Roddy can beat Vader, then the Hot Rod can. Other than that, I have nothing to suggest how Piper can win this match.

If someone went that route, it would fail miserably. Simply facts:

1. Shawn Michaels utilized speed and ariel assaults that Piper never really touched.

2. Shawn Michaels made part of his career on beating guys larger than he was, such as Diesel, Bigelow, Crush, and on one occassion each, Vader and Yokozuna. Though the win over Vader was a fluke. Still, did Piper beat any really large competitors? Maybe he scored a win over One Man Gang once?

3. Shawn Michaels is a multiple-time World Heavyweight champion. Piper is still a big fat ole' goose egg in that department.

I think Shawn Michaels is a much more skillful wrestler than Piper. Shawn can brawl, wrestle, pretty much do anything. Piper is Piper. He just tries to beat his opponent into the mat until he can keep them down for a 3 count, or put them in the sleeper hold until they pass out.

There is no way Piper beats Vader here. Anything Piper can do, Vader can do better, and Piper can't do all that much, while Vader may have the biggest arsenal of any big man the history of professional wrestling.

I will be voting Vader. He's big, he's fast (for his size) and he's got a devestating arsenal of moves (Vader Bomb, Vadersault etc...). You could argue that Piper would wear him down with the sleeper but Vader wouldn't let it get slapped on him. He's too powerful to let Piper put the sleeper on.

Does no one give credit to Piper for his resourcefulness? Piper in this match would not try to match power with Vader, nor would he want to brawl with him. He would do things to frustrate Vader, such as slide of the ring frequently for "rest" and putting the referee between himself and Vader. It'd be a hit and run type of thing, where Piper would stomp on Vader's toe, rake his eyes, and kick out his knee, then get well out of reach. I would expect that in this match, "Rowdy" Roddy would be able to play mind games, eventually causing Vader to either blatantly get himself disqualified, or a situation where the referee is out cold (happens all the time) and brass knuckles come into play. If the zebra ever takes his eyes off of the match for a moment, Vader would be on the receiving end of a low-blow.

I'm not saying Piper wins, but it isn't a slam dunk for Big Van Vader.

Does no one give credit to Piper for his resourcefulness?

Nope. None. And even if we did, Vader was just as resourceful, if not more, especialy considering the fact that he was mentored by Harley Race, one of the greatest dastardly heels of all time.

Piper in this match would not try to match power with Vader, nor would he want to brawl with him

As yes, the master strategist Rowdy Roddy Piper. Come on, you're telling me that you recall a litany of examples of Piper using strategy? Of Piper not going toe-to-toe with someone? Especially someone so much larger than he is?

He would do things to frustrate Vader, such as slide of the ring frequently for "rest" and putting the referee between himself and Vader.

Vader does those things too, you know. And if Piper wants to slow the match down, that will benefit Vader, not frustrate him. It may, however, infuriate Vader, which will only lead to Piper's certain death.

It'd be a hit and run type of thing, where Piper would stomp on Vader's toe, rake his eyes, and kick out his knee, then get well out of reach. I would expect that in this match, "Rowdy" Roddy would be able to play mind games, eventually causing Vader to either blatantly get himself disqualified, or a situation where the referee is out cold (happens all the time) and brass knuckles come into play. If the zebra ever takes his eyes off of the match for a moment, Vader would be on the receiving end of a low-blow.

What a lovely fantasy.

I'm not saying Piper wins, but it isn't a slam dunk for Big Van Vader.

I maintain an 8-to-1 margin is appropriate for this match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back