• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report On Sting's WWE Future

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that Sting is gonna be working one singles match for WWE and then retire. Obviously, the ASSUMPTION that this one singles match will be at WrestleMania XXXI against The Undertaker. Meltzer goes onto state that, according to his sources, there's no specific time set for when WWE will make the announcement, what the match will be or exactly when it'll take place.

If this is true, then Taker vs. Sting seems to be the only real match that most people are interested in seeing Sting compete in. It's been talked about for the past couple of years since Sting was alleged to be very close to signing with WWE. If this match is gonna happen, then it honestly needs to happen at WrestleMania XXXI or possibly even sooner because Sting will officially be 56 years old and Taker will have turned 50.

I don't buy into Undertaker & Sting at WrestleMania. Or I didn't. If Sting is to have only one match, then that is the match he should have.

Though why WWE are only getting one match out of him I do not know. Sting sucks, but he's an asset. One year, three or 4 matches.

One year, three or 4 matches.

Agreed. They can drag a little more out of the guy than one match, especially after making us wait all these years to see Sting to perform on the big stage again. They don't have to be high-impact affairs, but after all this time, a guy who never retired, never let his body rust from inactivity, can surely go a few more times. Old time wrestlers know how to work a match without taxing themselves too severely; I'm reminded of those guys who tangled with Heath Slater a couple years ago. If Vader & Rikishi could go for a short match, I'm sure Sting could.

As for Undertaker-Sting, I think anyone expecting a classic confrontation would be disappointed, but I'd still tune into the match because it would be a genuine event......something a lot of us have wanted to see.....and something that will occur only once.

Yes, if Steve Borden chooses to wrestle only one match, we'll still watch .....but I believe he can give us a little more than that. They'll pay him well for his presence......and he can spice it up by doing what he's done well for so long.

I don't see why Sting absolutely must wrestle Undertaker and nobody else, I mean there are lots of interesting matches Sting could do like Sting vs Triple H, that would be huge. Or Sting vs Big Show or Sting vs Chris Jericho or Sting vs The Rock or Sting vs Goldust or Sting vs Randy Orton for a crack at the belt or Sting vs Kane.

Sting vs Undertaker would still be pretty cool though.

However I fear that Sting vs anyone would kind of tank given his age. A lot of planning would have to go into it.
Another question on my mind is would the WWE fans embrace him and recognize him for the legend he is?

Remember when Hogan came back to WWE after being practically booed out of WCW by both the fans and the the writers?
When he came back the WWE fans cheered Hogan and booed the Rock of all people. Why? I think because they were WWE fans.
It is hard to get a read on it from the IWC. IWC views don't always reflect the way WWE crowds behave.

There are a lot of Sting fans in the IWC but would WWE fans actually cheer him on against the likes of The Undertaker? or God forbid Cena? I wonder.

I would welcome sting and practically mark out to see him in WWE but would it be a universal feeling amongst the WWE fans?

Booking Sting for a few matches seems simple. You have him team with Cena against The Wyatt Family soon after he signs, then Cena & Sting face off in a match based on mutual respect, then you have a match against 'Taker. Possibly with another match for Sting somewhere else.

He can do it. It just depends on wether he's being lazy or not.

Well STING's arrival to WWE would be really cool. All these years we have heard the rumour that he is coming to WWE for a final RUN. We all waited for UNDERTAKER vs STING matchup to take place for a long time..But i think its too late for this match to take place..Those men are really old and can only put on a crap match as none of them can really carry that STREAK match to the levels we have seen all these years..

Well the the arrival and confrontation of STING against TAKER will be awesome..The buildup to the match will be GREAT.. The PROMOS that they both deliver will be SECOND to nothing.. But the MATCH is all gonna suck as i believe that two old men in a WRESTLING MATCH is always gonna SUCK...

If sting is only going to have one match and it does turn out to be sting vs taker at next years mania that would be cool but its hard to think of what they would have him do for the rest of the year as taker is only on tv a handfull of times a year so it would be hard for sting to hype the match up for a full year without any input from taker.i think instead of mania they should do the match at summerslam or somthing instead as sting actually has a chance of winning then because the streak isnt on the line.i hope sting does actually have a few matches in wwe before he retires though.

If sting is only going to have one match and it does turn out to be sting vs taker at next years mania that would be cool but its hard to think of what they would have him do for the rest of the year as taker is only on tv a handfull of times a year so it would be hard for sting to hype the match up for a full year without any input from taker.i think instead of mania they should do the match at summerslam or somthing instead as sting actually has a chance of winning then because the streak isnt on the line.i hope sting does actually have a few matches in wwe before he retires though.

Build Sting up to match his legend status. Have him fight as many people as possible that can pose a threat to him. Build up the age and ring rust. Just have him compete and be undefeated for a year. No belts. Just wrestling. Then have him face Taker at mania after a year of nonstop wins.

What if it's Sting who only wants to wrestle one more match?

Its possible that Sting has chosen to only wrestle Undertaker because he doesn't want to take a chance on the direction his booking may go throughout the year.

He may not want to "put others over" in the E but may be ok with going out on his back at Wrestlemania with The Undertaker.

The man with a bald patch who wrestles in a t-shirt is no match for Taker who will have just beaten Brock Lesnar!!!

Sting vs Triple H appeals more to me.

Unless this contract is signed in the back seat of a Delorean with Christopher Lloyd in the driver's seat, it's a waste of time and money.

For the past couple of years, the argument has been Sting wrestles pretty well for his age. That doesn't cut it in a Taker WM match up, or a Rock match where they both have ring rust. Or even if they got the deal done today to wrestle Warrior at this WM, might as well, it would have just as much build to it as most of the card.

Just sign his hall of fame contract and move on if he will agree to is one match.

If it ends up going this way, then Sting is going to be a part of WM30 somehow. They'll do it exactly the way they did Rock and Cena the first time. Did Rock even wrestle at all that entire year? This would get Undertaker more involved in a non-wrestling role as well.

I don't really mind it if it gives Sting a chance to get back into shape and get his conditioning back where it should be. I know a year is a long time. But you figure he'll be more prominent in January.

I just want to see him on tv. I really don't care if he wrestles or not.

And like Mustang, I'm really not expecting this match (if it happens) to be anywhere near match of the year, but the involved parties will cover that up because they are so big name wise.

Personally I call bullshit on this Wrestling Observer Newsletter report and I take it worth a grain of salt, because it simply makes no sense whatsoever from anyone's perspective. I fail to see how Sting benefits from coming to WWE for just one match, after resisting the jump for so many years, just to retire after competing in only one match.

Presumably his opponent would be the Undertaker, possibly at WM31. If this goes down and he loses, how does coming to the big leagues after all this time, just to compete once and lose, benefit him? Sure there would be the obvious financial payday (although I'm not so sure that this would necessarily be the monumental payday that it could have been years ago), but how does this impact upon the potential legacy he leaves behind? Is he better off remaining as the greatest star who Vince could never get, or is it better to be the one who ultimately could not get it done on the grandest stage of them all?

If this match happens, I cannot imagine the scenario where he ends the streak, one of the most cherished accomplishments in pro wrestling today, and then just walks away. I cannot see WWE being OK with this and specifically I can't imagine Undertaker and other elite guys in WWE would be OK with it either. A guy who consistently refused to come to WWE just walks in and does something that Triple H, HBK, Orton, Punk, and do many others failed to do.

This leaves the WWE Hall of Fame consideration. But does one match, win or lose, really affect that one way or the other? Some would argue he deserves to go in even if he never competes in a WWE ring. Others would argue he doesn't deserve induction into the hall of fame of a company that he only wrestled on once (assuming he does ).

Sting is getting up there in age and clearly doesn't have much in ring time left. But I'm quite sure he could do a six month to two year semi-regular stint, competing against several guys in the process. This would earn his payday, enhance his hall of fame aspirations, and quiet the naysayers. Anything less doesn't make sense to me and leaves me skeptical.

The boat on this match for me has sailed! Sting is going to be 56 years old and taker 50! But if sting does wrestle one match for the E,then it must and has to be against taker at WM31. I think though,the E can drag more than one match out of sting,its not out of the possibility. Throw him into some tag matches where he is protected and doesn't have to take a lot of bumps.

Stinger has forgotten more about the business than most will ever learn. He knows what to do,knows not to fatigue himself too severely. He absolutely can work a short match and recoup. But imagine what this match would have been at WM22! Instead of Taker vs Mark Henry,we would have had Taker Vs Sting

If Sting vs Undertaker happens, it should definitely be sooner than wrestlemania 31. Everybody knows the Undertaker would go over at wm 31. They're not going to have a 56 year old man end the streak. That would suck if it happened. Maybe that match will happen at Summerslam in Sting's hometown of LA? In the early 90s wcw went to the meadowlands in NJ a lot and Sting headlined a lot of those shows. Maybe he will headline another show there again on May 4th against Undertaker? Hey Rock vs Goldberg happened at one of the "B" ppvs a month after wrestlemania 19. That match wasn't saved for wm 20. Just my two cents.

IF (keyword) Sting comes back for more then a HOF contract I'll be surprised. I pretty much just sit back and read on here, but seriously after all the complaining about how Taker and Sting has to happen how are people going to complain when it may end up happening? So what if they are both old, does everyone carry Undertaker at Wrestlemania? These guys are both talented and know what they are doing and their limitations. No it won't be the match it could have been back when Sting was wearing all the bright colors and Taker's arms weren't completely covered in tattoos.

If this story is true that he will only sign on to compete in one match that doesn't mean he won't get physical before then. It really depends on what type of Sting they are going to bring in, if they bring him back with his "Crow" type gimmick then he could do a lot without actually competing. Think of all his altercations he had with NWO without it actually being a match. They have tons of possibilities for this.

Heck I know they won't do it but I'd love for them to some how incorporate him in with the Wyatt family. Like if he has been the true force behind the family all this time. The fact he never wanted to be in WWE all this time and the whole chance at cutting promos about the "sheep" could be a great set up of giving beatings and him never having to actual do a real match. Would then give Taker a reason to come out of the woodwork and challenge Sting. Go on a rant about how he's been watching him and knows who he is and respects him. Have Taker say some company man things and basically offer up the streak for his "soul". If it ended up being a Wrestlemania match well then you just induct him the following year. Would give WWE plenty of actual WWE footage to show and then barely show his WCW footage for all the promos of him being in the hall of fame. Do I think they should do that? No but we all know they'd love to show footage of things they actually produced other then his work as the competitor. They could even incorporate him in with the Shield seeing as they are on a path of defying the Authority and would set him up to just sit back and kinda do a takeover with the Shield.

As far as to why would he or they only want to bring him in for one match or even be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame? WWE owns everything WCW, Sting was WCW. One of the greats of his time and Vince and everyone else knows that. Plus if they just induct him into the HOF and don't give him the proper promoting leading up to it how will they sell Sting t-shirts, figures and ice cream bars to make money off his induction? There are a lot of the casual younger fans in WWE that won't have a clue who Sting is or want to spend their money on some old wrestler they pretty much know nothing about.

Business wise,one match does not work.Considering there is a few more matches that could be profitable.Undertaker,Cena,Randy Orton (the Legend Killer),HHH, and maybe Shawn Mchaels.Those would all be good money PPVs.If Sting can hit the gym,he can get a lil better shape.A 2 year run would be perfect.Lots of money to retire on and a few matches he fans would love to see.

Sting is FIFTY-FIVE fucking years old. Why would anyone want to see this old geezer wrestle a match?? I get that Ric Flair put on an amazing retirement match at 59 years old, but Ric was a mainstay in WWE throughout all that time. It's not like there was a need to reintroduce him like there is with Sting.

Induct him in the Hall of Fame, let him do a couple of Old School Raws, put him on a bunch of WCW DVDs, and make some merchandise. There is absolutely no point in Sting working a match at his age.

Both Sting and WWE would be smart to gauge the reaction from his initial few appearances. If the crowd is lukewarm, build to a one-off with Taker where Sting loses, and he is inducted into the WWE HOF shortly thereafter. There is no way Sting will end the streak, so I am not going to entertain the notion.

If Sting's return creates a buzz and breathes new life into his character and legacy (and I'm not saying it will or won't), hopefully he can be enticed into a one-year deal that sees him appear often but only actually wrestle two to four matches max. I have not seen him compete some time. I stopped keeping regular tabs on IMPACT wrestling late last year.

The one match and done does seem like BS. A large portion of the WWE audience is unfamiliar with Sting, and he must know he would likely be seen as a heel to a degree in one random match with Taker, because most people do not want to see the streak end.

As always with Steve Borden, I will not truly believe he is working for WWE until he walks down the aisle.

Sting vs. Undertaker is THE match that must happen at WM 31. If that's Sting's one and only match in WWE, that's fine. If he goes out on his back to 'Taker, that's fine. We all know that wins and losses are irrelevant, right? It's the match and the story that's the real entertainment value and what matters, right?

My hope is that Sting shows up at WM30 in his Raven gear with the baseball bat at or near the end of the Taker-Lesnar match and issues the challenge without saying a word. Maybe he even gets involved and he and his bat is the reason the young tough stud doesn't go over the old man. Build it up for the next year not as a heated rivalry, but two old-school veterans showing they respect the hell out of each other and want a match just to see what happens.

Regardless of age, those two men will put on a classic. It will be well worth watching, well worth paying for the network or PPV.

To be honest I don't even want to see a 50 year old Taker vs a 55 year old sting. I'd rather see Taker face almost anyone else. Cena is at the top of my list and Daniel Bryan is second on that list.

I am split on this issue. On one hand, the fan in me would like to see the match between Sting & Taker because it would be epic. Neither man has wrestled the other since they both became legends and it is indeed a dream match. On the other hand, the realist in me realizes that Sting is awful in the ring and that Taker isn't much better. Both guys are well past their primes and having them in a one-on-one match @ WM 31 might be the match that stinks the joint up. I guess time will tell.....

ok i still see it playing out like this. taker beats brock. lights go out we hear the crows cawwing and we see sting in the rafters all crowed out holding his trademark bat. coming time. we see little jabs from sting and comments tormenting taker and so forth. sting flirts with everything taker has done over his career. graveyards, boilerrooms and even funeral parlors. he even appears and takes out kane with some sneak attacks with the baseball bat a few times. the have promos against each other and play mind games. at summer slam sting and maybe a partner goes over taker and kane when taker gets pinned by sting. a little ways down the road the feud continues with say at ss or the rumble sting goes over taker cleanly.... the frusteration and games continuing with sting saying that taker cant beat him and he will completely erase the undertakes legacy. leading to wrestlemania where with doubts that taker can actually do it with sting in his head taker finally after losing to sting in other matches finally pins sting at wrestlemania thus not burying sting and taker keeps his streak and we the fans get the match we truly want. granted a little more plans can go into this but thats what id like to see

Watch the q and a sting done in london last sat, a fan joked and said he didnt want to sting to fight taker just to loose and sting laughs and said what does that really matter at this point in both careers, then he insisted again that he wanted to face undertaker and no one else. What an obvious sign to show hes coming to WWE...

Sting wont show up in the lesnar taker match and he definetly wont take out brock to help make taker win as that makes taker look weak.

Sting will either appear at the end of there match when lesnar has left the ring (or stretcherd out) and most likely will tease a confrontation with taker but this of course will be kept short and sweet, or he will be on raw the next night, this makes the biggest sense.

Undertaker is listed to appear on 7th april on raw on advertising but lesnar is not, what does that tell you??
Sting is in New Orleans at the same time again what does this tell you?

Undertaker comes out at the end of the night says hes done it all, retire speech blah blah, LIGHTS OUT, freaky video intro, sting comes out stands on the ramp black and white facepaint long black cloak points the bat at undertaker, crowd erupts (of course it will, it will be filled with the buggest wrestling marks-all raws after mania are) then raw comes to a close without either legend saying a word.

IWC then blows up.

Out of the 3 biggest matches in the history of wrestling to never happen being:

Hulk hogan vs stone cold
HBK vs the Rock
Sting vs The Undertaker

i will be glad we will at least see one of them at WM31. Icon vs Phenom... Bring it on

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back