• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Report: Another Title Unification?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to a report from F4WOnline.com, WWE looks like they're going to go ahead with unifying the WWE Intercontinental & United States Championships. The report states that a title unification match is "likely" slated to be part of the Elimination Chamber ppv. Incidentally, this year's Elimination Chamber ppv falls on February 23rd, the day before subscribers can sign up for the WWE Network.

Since it was announced that WWE was unifying the WWE & World Heavyweight Championships, a fairly common topic of discussion has revolved around the unification of WWE's two mid-card championships. A few weeks back, WWE itself teased the possibility of unifying the titles with an article on WWE.com when the question was posed to Big E. Langston & Dean Ambrose. WWE doing this and going so far as to mention the article several times on television gave the notion some stability.

IF this is the plan, personally, I'd like to see a series of matches between Ambrose & Langston over the course of the next month or so, culminating in one final bout at Elimination Chamber. A series could put them on a more even kilter with both men earning decisive and clear wins over the other as a means of building up hype for the final match. As things stand right now, I'd be very surprised if Langston doesn't unify the titles. Given that Langston is the IC champ, it goes without saying that he'll probably come out the winner no matter how the feud is build up, as the IC title is the WWE created championship. However, a series of competitive matches between them could at least give the impression that both have a near even shot of coming out the winner.

Well, I would personally prefer it if they kept having two midcard titles. The roster is large enough to justify having three seperate singles title tiers. The best of the best (kayfabe) going after the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, the upper midcarders going after the Intercontinental Championship, and the lower card wrestlers going after the US Championship. The good news is that this will make the Intercontinental Championship even more important, as it would be the ONLY other option for wrestlers to win outside of the world title and the tag team titles.

If this does take place around Elimination Chamber with Ambrose still the US Champion and Langston still the Intercontinental Champion, then I would retire the US Championship upon Ambrose winning the match to become the Intercontinental Champion. It would help his push and in still becoming a break out star if the plans to split up The Shield are still in place. Langston sucks anyway so I have no problems with him losing. The US Championship came from WCW while the Intercontinental Championship was always Vince's, so it's a safe bet to assume that the US title will be retired.

What's really going to suck now is the Night of Champions PPV brand. This leaves us with only 4 title tiers. World, midcard, tag team, and divas. If they do not figure out something else to add to the show, we will be stuck with multiple non-title fillers that no one cares about. Perhaps the addition of a Money In the Bank briefcase defense, or something. Either that, or make it to where there is never another event outside of Wrestlemania where all of the titles are defended. The less titles you have, the tougher that gets. I'm sure they will figure it out.

I'm all for it. Not only would it give us a mid-card feud worth caring about on the road to Wrestlemania, but it would also heat up the competition in that part of the roster. Furthermore, it would increase the number of superstars who could be elevated to the WWE Championship level, and I would much rather see a handful of competitors battling over the title as opposed the tired method of having a lone competitor feud with the champion for a month, then move on. Remember in 2000 when there were always at least four superstars after the WWF title at any one time?

Similarly, reducing the number of championships in the mid-card to just one would make that title stand out more, and thusly (you'd hope) it would be defended in it's division more often.

As has been said before on this forum, Dean Ambrose is the latest in a long line of wrestlers who have done nothing with the United States championship, and the ending of the brand split has only furthered the irrelevancy of the U.S. title. So yes, I would love to see the two belts unified.

A best of 5 or 7 series would be fun to watch, so long as it was kept fresh and all the matches weren't just straight up singles bouts; WWE does enough repeat performances at the moment as it is. However, if they were going ahead with having the unification match at the Elimination Chamber event, why not have it inside the titular match? The stakes would be higher for both incoming defending champions, whilst it also give 4 other superstars a chance to win gold. Langston, Ambrose, Ziggler, Sandow, Ryback, Kingston in such a match would work brilliantly.

As for the Night of Champions PPV, I think it's time that event was retired and a new concept was thought up. If WWE were to only have 4 championships, then these could be defended at every PPV event, as a championship ought to be.

This I can get on board with. One title. One guy that holds that title and can feud with all the mid-card talent and elevate himself and elevate the meaning of the title. This gives the entire mid-card something to shoot for and strive towards in building their character. You're not going to have the constant mid-card shuffle between people going for the US or IC Titles just making it appear like you need something for them to do rather than have the titles be meaningful and the reigns be meaningful.

Sort of like a MitB briefcase... it should be seen as a title that pegs a guy to be a future player... just not as instant as a briefcase does.

If they do this then the cruizerwight title should be brought back. We got plenty of high flyers or smaller guys doing jack shit at the moment. One midcard title may not be enougn for so many unused talents.

I would be ok with the two titles being unified. They need to keep the current(old) IC title though. It also opens the chance of seeing other titles revived. The Cruiserweight and Hardcore Championships would be the ones I would like to see as they would give a bigger dynamic and the talent with nothing else to do and are not contenders something to fight for.

Merge them, then push the IC title as if it is the WHC of the past couple of years.

E.C. is a great PPV to have the match on. It gives WWE time to then push the champion leading into Mania in a one-on-one feud for the belt and really promote that the I.C. title as WWE's second main belt.

I like to see it in the chamber with a few other names in their, a returning RVD or Jericho, guys who u think could actually hold it not joksters like Santino and make a big deal of it. It's a good way to re-start the importance of the title.

I hope not, but then again, it doesn't matter. They'll just revive the US title later anyway. They've done it before, they'll do it again.

I am looking forward to the Intercontinental Championship and United States Championship Unification however I wish they would hold unifying these two historic championships at the grandest stage of all Wrestlemania 30

To revisit past Wrestlemania matches I would love if the unification match would be a ladder match just as HBK and Razor Ramon had to determine the true Intercontinental Champion at Wrestlemania 10 which is still in my regards as top 10 match of all time at Wrestlemania.

8 Man Ladder Match for The Unified Intercontinental/United States Championship
1. Intercontinental Champion Big E Langston
2. United States Champion Dean Ambrose
3. The Miz
4. Kofi Kingston
5. Fandango
6. Bad News Barrett
7. Damien Sandow
8. Dolph Ziggler

I would like to see either of these superstars win and earn a Wrestlemania Moment for themeselves (Dolph Ziggler Damien Sandow Big E Langston Bad News Barrett and Fandango)

Great News.
The US title means jack-shit at the moment. It will give us a greay feud to look forward to. However, the wrestlers involved means it will be a concern.
Big E Langston has been pushed well since becoming IC champion. His latest match with the Champion, Randy Orton was a great example of that.
However, I think everyone agrees that the Shield needs to be pushed also All 3 members if possible. The break up is supposed to happen slowly,although on SD this past friday there wasn't any hint for whatever reason. So, either it is quickened a bit or Big E gets the win when it is unified.
If Ambrose wins it and the Shield break up would have bigger importance. However, it isnt a requirement at all but if Roman Reigns is to be pushed correctly and slowly then it would help if he wins his first singles title at WM. The interest in the match will also be there.
All that said; Big E losing such a match would be to his detriment ultimately since unlike Ambrose who will most likely in a feud with his fellow members, Big E would be somewhat directionless and will be quickly put into a meaningless feud or none at all.

I am all for this Title Unification since one of the MID CARD Titles means nothing at this time. The IC title elevation will also continue as well when it happens. However, the result of the match will go a ling way in shaping the fortunes of the Superstars who will take part in it.
Personally,with CM Punk possibly taking on HHH at WM. This possible unification line would be perfect to put the Shield and Big E Langston together in a programme post- Royal Rumble and help in the Shield's break up. Ultimately Big E is my pick to win due to something causing the Shield members to implode due to arguments or miscommunication between them. Would be a fitting result which hinders none of the superstars involve on the Road to WM.

Cheers.

It was just posted that the plan for the elimination chamber is to unify the IC and US titles. With that said.

Will they perhaps bring back an defunct title to give the lower mid cards something to fight for?!

I would love to see either the hardcore or CRUISERWEIGHT titles back. CRUISERWEIGHT is more likely though. What are you thoughts?

With basically the US title being treated as a non-existent title and the IC title being the second most prestigious title in the company hell yah unify it. I be down for a best of seven series starting after Royal rumble between Ambrose and Big E!! If build properly,this would be an awesome feud between the two. Have the final match happen at WM30 grandest stage of them all..

The almost 40 year history of the US title and 35 year history of the IC title,this will be an incredible epic battle between the two young stars... I very much have been clamoring for this,the US title is just not being treated with the respect it should be.. Not that ambrose is a bad champion its not his fault,but the titles need to be unified ASAP!!

It's interesting that they want this match at EC. If Lesnar gets a 1v1 for the WWE WHC title at EC, and Dean Ambrose and Big E go 1v1 for the IC/US, then where does the chamber match come into it?

I'm all for a unification of these titles, but I ask the question as to whether the cruiserweight tile will return as a result? Having 2 mens singles title seems like a pretty slim trophy room for the big roster we've got now? Either that or WWE are planning on getting rid of a lot of deadwood wrestlers like Ryder, Mahal, Khali, Hornswoggle, Tensai etc etc etc.

I love the move and think it's long overdue. 2 mens singles titles and the tag team titles bring back an old school feel. If this doesn't add prestige to both the singles titles by them being pressured to give the best matches and feuds for them, I don't know what will.

I am looking forward to the Intercontinental Championship and United States Championship Unification however I wish they would hold unifying these two historic championships at the grandest stage of all Wrestlemania 30

To revisit past Wrestlemania matches I would love if the unification match would be a ladder match just as HBK and Razor Ramon had to determine the true Intercontinental Champion at Wrestlemania 10 which is still in my regards as top 10 match of all time at Wrestlemania.

8 Man Ladder Match for The Unified Intercontinental/United States Championship
1. Intercontinental Champion Big E Langston
2. United States Champion Dean Ambrose
3. The Miz
4. Kofi Kingston
5. Fandango
6. Bad News Barrett
7. Damien Sandow
8. Dolph Ziggler

I would like to see either of these superstars win and earn a Wrestlemania Moment for themeselves (Dolph Ziggler Damien Sandow Big E Langston Bad News Barrett and Fandango)

The match is way too similar than a MitB ladder match. How about if you make it a huge battle royal ladder match. Have 30 guys fighting it out to climb the ladder. It would be a much more different dynamic. The 30 guys would go great with the WrestleMania 30 marketing plus you could include every single former IC and US Champ still with WWE:

1. Antonio Cesaro (1-time US)
2. Big E. Langston (1-time IC)
3. Big Show (1-time IC, 1-time US)
4. Chris Jericho (9-time IC)
5. Christian (4-time IC)
6. CM Punk (1-time IC)
7. Cody Rhodes (2-time IC)
8. Curtis Axel
9. Daniel Bryan (1-time US)
10. Dean Ambrose (1-time US)
11. Dolph Ziggler (1-time IC, 1-time US)
12. Drew McIntyre (1-time IC)
13. Ezekiel Jackson (1-time IC)
14. Goldust (3-time IC)
15. Jack Swagger (1-time US)
16. John Cena (3-time US)
17. Kane (2-time IC)
18. Kofi Kingston (4-time IC, 3-time US)
19. The Miz (2-time IC, 2-time US)
20. Randy Orton (1-time IC)
21. Rey Mysterio (2-time IC)
22. Rob Van Dam (6-time IC)
23. R-Truth (1-time US)
24. Santino Marella (2-time IC, 1-time US)
25. Sheamus (1-time US)
26. Tensai (1-time IC)
29. Triple H (5-time IC)
27. Wade Barrett (3-time IC)
28. William Regal (2-time IC)
30. Zack Ryder (1-time US)

If they go ahead with a Shield Triple Threat at Mania, then I would have Dean drop the US title to Mark Henry.

If the 8 guys in bold already have matches on the show, you can bring in any other of the multitude of IC and US Champs who are still around. I underlined my picks.
• Billy Gunn (1-time IC)
• Bobby Lashley (1-time US)
• Booker T (1-time IC, 3-time US)
• Carlito (1-time IC, 1-time US)
• D'Lo Brown (1-time IC)
• Finlay (1-time US)
• Greg Valentine (1-time IC)
• The Honky Tonk Man (1-time IC)
• JBL (1-time IC, 1-time US)
• Jeff Hardy (4-time IC)
• Jeff Jarrett (6-time IC)
• John Morrison (3-time IC)
• Ken Shamrock (1-time IC)
• Kevin Nash (1-time IC)
• Kurt Angle (1-time IC)
• Lance Storm (1-time IC)
• Marty Jannetty (1-time IC)
• Matt Hardy (1-time US)
• Montel Vontavious Porter (1-time US)
• Orlando Jordan (1-time US)
• Razor Ramon (4-time IC)
• Rhyno (1-time US)
• Rikishi (1-time IC)
• Road Dogg (1-time IC)
• Roddy Piper (1-time IC)
• Shelton Benjamin (3-time IC, 1-time US)
• Tajiri (1-time US)
• Tito Santana (1-time IC)
• Ultimate Warrior (2-time IC)
• Val Venis (2-time IC)

Noooo, the whole point of unifying the titles is so that the one title remaining ACTUALLY MATTERS!
And it's great that they're doing it. I look back longingly at the times when the IC title was a hot commodity, like when Bret and the Bulldog fought over it at Summerslam. Or Shawn and Razor at Wrestlemania. Or Ricky and Macho. Sigh. It used to be important!

And now it may become important again. WWE finally realized that for things to matter they need to keep it simple stupid. Less is more. I love it.

Eliminating the US title only to bring back the same thing by a different name would defeat that purpose.

1 main champion, one number 2 champion, tag champions, women's champion. That's the way it has to be.

Good that they are doing this.Both titles are pretty irrelevant with the US title being the even more irrelevent of the two, all because WWE doesnt give a crap.

Lets hope this unification news is real and that it is going to happen.Cause even tho it might not be important, being THE 2nd champion in WWE will mean a whole lot more, since there will only be 2 belts.

Jackhammer i love the idea of having a series of matches with the culmination being at EC..

i have been saying for the last year or 2 now WWE reall needs to do this unification, especially since they cant seem to be able to book both champions right at one time lol

with that being said..i think Big E would ultimately prevail, leading to his Mania fued with whomever that may be (Y2J? RVD?..i figure its gotta be a past great IC champion to tie in with the 30 year theme) and basically because it be pretty easy to book the Shield, specifically Roman Reigns costing Ambrose the title at EC someway somehow and having Langston go over.

I'm for it since realistically WWE isn't booking well enough to have legitimate IC and US title feuds at the same time.

The talent is there for contenders for both titles. You got Del Rio, Brodus Clay, Tensai, Sin Cara, Sandow, The Miz, Fandango, Dean Ambrose, R Truth and Xavier Woods all without legitimate storylines.

It's great to see they have the idea to do a unification. Ambrose barely defended the title and it's a great way for Ambrose to move on to bigger things like possibly chasing the title from Langston, feuding with Reigns/Rollins, the possibilities are endless vs. being US champ where when you defend your title, it's against a random opponent.

I have no problem with two separate midcard titles. The problem is the booking of said titles. If Ambrose had been given more matches to defend the titles, and had gotten a few wins, dirty or otherwise, the US title wouldn't be such an afterthought.

It's kind of typical of WWE that they think having two midcard titles is the problem. That's not the problem; lazy booking is the problem, especially with heel champions. Just get your shit together, have specific plans for each non-transitional midcard champion, and there won't be a need for unification.

I'm undecided but the U.S title has been irrelevant for a few months now. Previously, there was the WWE Title and the I.C title. Then they introduced the European, Hardcore and Light Heavyweight Championships before the brand-split. It became obvious that 4 titles (WWE, WHC, IC, US) were too many when they ended the split in recent years.

Having just the WWE Heavyweight and the Intercontinental Title doesn't seem right. There is 5 hours of television to fill with a massive (and very talented) roster. I think they can definitely keep both the Intercontinental and United States title. Right now they are using Ambrose elsewhere but that belt can be relevant.

When you think of all the names in the mid card: Kofi, Miz, Ryback, Axel, Ziggler, Del Rio, Kidd, Fandango, Sandow, Barrett amongst others including those in tag-teams and NXT. Plenty of names and having two mid-card titles is an easy, perhaps even lazy, way of keeping them occupied.

I have no problem with two separate midcard titles. The problem is the booking of said titles. If Ambrose had been given more matches to defend the titles, and had gotten a few wins, dirty or otherwise, the US title wouldn't be such an afterthought.

It's kind of typical of WWE that they think having two midcard titles is the problem. That's not the problem; lazy booking is the problem, especially with heel champions. Just get your shit together, have specific plans for each non-transitional midcard champion, and there won't be a need for unification.

^ Agreed.

Personally, I don't really want them to unify the IC and US title but if it is the only way for WWE right now to get their heads out of their asses and book interesting feuds for EVERY Championship then ... fine!

But really, WWE should just have been giving Ambrose with the US title some solid feuds and keep doing that with the US title holder. Because there are a lot of lower card guys right now they aren't using but SHOULD BE and could use in a US title feud. Guys like Justin Gabriel, Zack Ryder, Tyson Kidd, Sin Cara, Kofi Kingston and The Miz (as 'vets') who could really get a chance to SHOW their talents with a little bit of much-needed promo time. They don't need a ton but just enough to talk about their goal to become US Champion and any beefs with the current Champion.

But alas, WWE is not capable right now of handling more than 2 singles Championship feuds... I mean, damn, they could barely handle 1 singles Championship feud because back in the summer/fall when Curtis Axel was IC Champion he was feuding with CM Punk for a good chunk of it and NO SHITS were given about the IC Title and who was going after it.

CM Punk seems to be the cog in the system here. He is 'too big' to care about going for the IC or US title and therefore basically buries those titles. I know this is booking and Vince is behind this but it is damn stupid to have the IC and US titles buried like this.

So if the damn WWE has to unify the US and IC title just so they can concentrate on making EACH Title holder actually interesting and constantly having stories around them then ... so be it. It will suck for guys like I mentioned above who are talented but are going to be squashed even more because they won't likely be given even a shot at the IC title because of all the other guys WWE THINKS we want to see ... like Alberto Del Rio and Batista.

Maybe after WWE unifies the IC and US Title they can finally focus on giving those absolutely HIDEOUS Tag Team Championship belts a change-up.

Good, the US title has been pretty useless to me. The IC belt is WWE's title, & it needs to be the main mid-card title like it was. You don't need a championship to make a feud interesting. The WWE had hot story lines and engaging characters with just three main belts back in the day so why not now. If they work on character development & compelling stories then another belt won't be missed. Never mind the fact of how many stars are on the roster, not everyone needs to be a champion.

ANYONE who thinks this is a good idea in 2014, will be bitching up a storm about it in 2015.

Over 80% of the roster is below the main-event level. Title reigns are no longer treated like hot potatoes, and now there's only 1 mid-card title and 1 tag-team title. What does that mean? A massive amount of IWC smarks moaning over why their favorite wrestler, who deserves a chance to shine, isn't even being given a title reign or a title shot and wasting away in mid-card hell.

I don't even think the implications of the World Heavyweight Championship being unified has sunk in with a majority of the Internet fans. WWE is going to push who they want. To hell with the fans. Cena and Orton aren't going anywhere. Sheamus and Del Rio are still Triple H's golden boys. Part-timers will continue to headline PPVs because it's the easy way to draw money. Punk's leaving in 2015, and Bryan is going to end up all you've have got. All those guys you think are deserving of a main-event push? The lesser world title that gave guys a chance is now deactivated. It's never going to happen now.

Now we're not only going to see less main-event pushes, but less title reigns in general.

Like everything else WWE does, title unification is something the IWC is for right now, but will completely turn against later on down the road.

Mark. My. Words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back