Rematches that never happened

jmt225

Global Moderator
I know there are a lot of "Dream Matches" out there, but what matches have you guys seen where it only happened once, and you really wished it would've gone down again?

I have a couple, so here we go:

Shawn Michaels vs. Vader - Okay, so there match went down at Summerslam 1996, and its still 'til this day one of my favorite HBK matches of all time. I was really upset when they didn't include it on HBK's latest DVD release, but it's about to come out on the Summerslam Anthology (which will hopefully be released in volumes, instead all together), so if you haven't seen it and you're a Shawn Michaels fan, you must pick up a copy of the Summerslam that holds this bout. Anyway, why the fuck did a rematch never take place? Probably because of Shawn being a prick, but damn it... Vince should've made it happen. This match was basically only set up for future matches between the two to go down. I was, and still really am, disappointed that HBK just jumped into a lame feud with Mankind (yes, there match at Mind Games was good, but that could've happened later on) and then Sid after the aforementioned Summerslam match against Vader. Vader vs. HBK could've really ended up being Shawn's greatest feud just based on match quality had those two fuckers just got along and went with the program.

Shawn Michaels vs. Shelton - I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen this classic by now, and I'm sure it'll most likely be on everyone's list. They're match was just beyond fantastic. Everything clicked between these two. They had more chemistry than Angle and HBK had IMO, and it's a shame we still haven't had a rematch yet. However, that might change soon. Shelton has seem to get his act together. It looks like he's working his ass off and there haven't been any bad shit reported on him since his move to ECW. If he can keep this up, with Raw's lack of heels, I can see him being moved there and instantly starting a feud with HBK. Hopefully, that does end up happening. We need another match between these two before HBK retires.

Shawn Michaels vs. Rob Van Dam - Okay, so another match with HBK, but this one is different. These two first match against each other on Raw in 2002 wasn't half as good as the previous two matches mentioned, or half as good as I expected it to be. When HBK came back full time in 2002, him working with Rob was the one thing I wanted most to come out of it. But it only happened this one match and I'm extremely disappointed with that. If RVD ever comes back to WWE, I really hope these two get back in the ring against one another.

The Rock vs. Rob Van Dam - Another let down match on Raw in 2001. Steph was in Rob's corner and even though the match is entertaining and fairly decent, there just wasn't enough time for these two to really put on a show. They would work against one another again in a tag match soon after the match on Raw, but it was the exact same result as their Raw match: short and left a lot to be desired. I really believe a program between these two would've been fucking awesome. I know RVD gets flap here from a lot of fans that he's nothing but a spot monkey who has nothing to offer but flips, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I won't touch on the ridiculous spot monkey statement, but fans really underestimate RVD's charisma. When he first came into the WWF back in 01, I'd say he had more charisma than The Rock. Could he cut promos like The Rock? No, but he had just as much, if not more, charisma as him and seeing these two personalities collide in a long-term feud would've been great.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Sabu - Now I know this was nothing but a spot fest, but fuck… it was the most enjoyable spot fest I've ever seen, and with the lame ass ending, I expected a rematch and am very disappointed that one never came to. Fuck did these guys really put on a show at ONS 2006. Sabu gets a lot of criticism from fans about botch moves, and rightfully so I guess, but he didn't botch any in this awesome contest, and Rey Mysterio was just Rey fucking Mysterio. He's always been awesome, and he brought the best out of Sabu for one last time. It sucks he never got the chance to do it again.

Sting vs. Christopher Daniels - Okay, will someone please tell me what the fuck happened here? None of Sting's storylines in TNA intrigued me like this one did. I thought it was a very interesting match-up, and I couldn't wait to see the matches these two would put on, but it only ended up being a one match blow-off feud. What the fuck!?!?!? WHY? That made no sense and really pissed me off. These two dragged me in, and then it's over within a couple of fucking days. That was complete and utter bullshit.

I know you said matches that only happened once but I can't do that. Especially when the one match that I've wanted to see have a definitive rematch with a clear cut ennding never got one.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan vs Sting: Yes it has happened numerous times, but it never really got their story finished. It was always a cheap ending. I've always felt cheated out of this fued. The hype surrounding it was epic to say the least and every match just let me down because of the finish. They shouldve had a match with a definitive ending but they never did, and I will always be depressed for it. They shouldve had a rematch with a clear cut ending.

I know there are a lot of "Dream Matches" out there, but what matches have you guys seen where it only happened once, and you really wished it would've gone down again?

Shawn Michaels vs. Shelton - I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen this classic by now, and I'm sure it'll most likely be on everyone's list. They're match was just beyond fantastic. Everything clicked between these two. They had more chemistry than Angle and HBK had IMO, and it's a shame we still haven't had a rematch yet. However, that might change soon. Shelton has seem to get his act together. It looks like he's working his ass off and there haven't been any bad shit reported on him since his move to ECW. If he can keep this up, with Raw's lack of heels, I can see him being moved there and instantly starting a feud with HBK. Hopefully, that does end up happening. We need another match between these two before HBK retires.

Great match, but there was indeed a rematch. It occurred on an edition of RAW in early 2006. Highlight of this match was seeing the awesome spring board into superkick spot from the first match revisited. This time, though, Shelton springboarded into blocking Shawn's kick. HBK won shortly after, but another classic from these two.

For me, I have two matches that come to mind:

Hulk Hogan vs. Goldberg

This match only happened once on the infamous Nitro in which Goldberg won the title. I would have loved to see this match occur on a PPV such as Starrcade. This match deserved to be on a much bigger stage than an ordinary Nitro.

Chris Jericho vs. Triple H, for the World Title

I know this match has happened more than a few times, but I am referring to the true rematch for the Undisputed title that Y2J never got against Triple H after Wrestlemania X-8. I believe his "rematch" was a "triple threat" match with HHH against Y2J and Stephanie, in which Triple H pinned Stephanie. After a good 3 month reign as champ, that is the rematch Jericho gets? Disgusting.

HBK vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

These guys had what I thought was a great match at Wrestlemania 14 even with Shawns bad back. I would have loved to see these guys go at it again in the ring if only for the fact they probably could both be huge faces and both do a great job of selling.

This match could have a ton of false finishes and have the crowd on the edge of their seat. I'd love to see these guys go at it in Texas...

Wrestlemania 25??? Austin did say he had one more match in him and HBK would probably be the guy I'd love to see him go against. From what I've heard in shoot interviews these guys are friends and I'm sure neither one of them would have a problem putting the other one over so it could go either way.

HBK vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

These guys had what I thought was a great match at Wrestlemania 14 even with Shawns bad back. I would have loved to see these guys go at it again in the ring if only for the fact they probably could both be huge faces and both do a great job of selling.

This match could have a ton of false finishes and have the crowd on the edge of their seat. I'd love to see these guys go at it in Texas...

Wrestlemania 25??? Austin did say he had one more match in him and HBK would probably be the guy I'd love to see him go against. From what I've heard in shoot interviews these guys are friends and I'm sure neither one of them would have a problem putting the other one over so it could go either way.

That itself WAS a rematch...from KOTR '97!

I know this match has happened more than a few times, but I am referring to the true rematch for the Undisputed title that Y2J never got against Triple H after Wrestlemania X-8. I believe his "rematch" was a "triple threat" match with HHH against Y2J and Stephanie, in which Triple H pinned Stephanie. After a good 3 month reign as champ, that is the rematch Jericho gets? Disgusting.

They fought at Judgement Day two months later.

The Rock vs. Ric Flair They fought on "Raw" shortly after The Rock won his last Championship. I really think it could've meant something on PPV. Match itself wasn't bad for a TV match. But I really think with the charisma both guys had, it could've been so much more. And obviously, the direction of the Rock's career, prevented any one on one match from ever happening again (I'm aware they were against each other in the tag match at 'Mania 20).

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar Always wanted to see a rematch between those two. Because it was the match that truly made Brock legit, and I would've loved it when the Rock had his return as a heel in 2003, to face Brock at least once. I really think that too could've done wonders for Brock.

ultimate warrior vs hulk hogan- i dont mean that trash that wcw had. i mean an actually rematch between the two. for the wwf title could have been huge at the time but instead sgt. slaughter took the belt of warrior

I'd love to see Monty Brown Vs. Jeff Jarrett with a CLEAN finish, which to the best of my knowledge hasn't happened.

Also, one that comes to mind is Jeff Hardy Vs. Rob Van Dam for the Hardcore Title. These two men had one hell of a match at InVasion 2001, they never had a great feud though, which could've been big for both men at the time. Van Dam could've been pushed a little more and Hardy could've maybe had more draw and a bigger pull in the back.

My last greatest rematch that never happened is Chris Jericho Vs. Rob Van Dam for the WWE Undisputed Championship. This match happened on RAW in late 2001, I still have it taped on VHS. It was just a few weeks removed from Jericho's title win and did have a clean finish, but there could have been more build-up and hype around it. It was two great performers in one great match, and there should've been more.

The Ultimate Warrior vs Triple H I always see signs in the crowed wanting this match. Also the Warrior is one of the only big names that Triple H hasnt gone over. The first match of course was a squash match and took place before Triple H was a main eventer. The "cerebral assasin" Triple H agaist the Warrior would be a dream match in my opinion.

Scott Steiner vs Goldberg These two had a great feud near the end of the original WCW. Stiener was the last person to beat Goldberg one on one. These two were set to face on raw in 2003 but was changed to a triple threat with Test. Steiner is the only one of Goldberg's opponents that he hasnt pinned.

I would like to have seen a second match between Rock and Goldberg. Now I'm not that big on either one of them but I have to admit I thought their match at Bakclash 2003 was good. Especially The Rock he was downright comical in this match plus Goldberg showed that he could actually sell there was good buildup for the match and the match in my opinion delivered unfortunately there was never a rematch.

They fought at Judgement Day two months later.

While that is in fact true, I am talking about a one on one match between the two for the Undisputed Title. The match at Judgment Day was a non-title Hell in the Cell match. Undertaker won the Undisputed Title from Hulk Hogan on that show.

I gotta agree with xmoshx. The Hogan/Warrior WCW match wasn't a rematch, it was an abomination. Following Wrestlemania VI, Warrior and Hogan could have continued their face on face feud throughout the summer, possibly even multiple matches, with each winning the title from each other, neither able to gain a clear advantage. This could have been monstrously huge.

Great match, but there was indeed a rematch. It occurred on an edition of RAW in early 2006. Highlight of this match was seeing the awesome spring board into superkick spot from the first match revisited. This time, though, Shelton springboarded into blocking Shawn's kick. HBK won shortly after, but another classic from these two.

For me, I have two matches that come to mind:

Hulk Hogan vs. Goldberg

This match only happened once on the infamous Nitro in which Goldberg won the title. I would have loved to see this match occur on a PPV such as Starrcade. This match deserved to be on a much bigger stage than an ordinary Nitro.

Didn't Jericho and HHH meet in a Hell in a Cell Match as a rematch?

I would have liked to have seen a rematch between Undertaker and Bret Hart after Summerslam 1997. Bret beat Taker for the title (Because HBK was the ref and hit Taker with the chair) in an epic confrontation. Unfortunately Undertaker never got a return match (though it did lead to the Hell in a Cell with HBK).

Technically Jericho did have a rematch with triple h, a couple actually, but never a true title rematch, that's what FA V2 is saying. Jericho's rematch with Triple H was two raws later and was a triple threat match that involved stephanie, which Triple H won by pinning stephanie. Then they had a hell in a cell match at judgement day, but Triple H lost the title to Hogan at Backlash, so it was just rematch to end their fued. Jericho, I think, didn't get a one on one match for the title untill he fought Cena at SummerSlam 05, some 3 1/2 years later.
Anyway though, two rematchs that never happened, both involved the Big Show and both times he lost the WWE title. The first was in sometime in the end of 99/beginning 00, when he lost the title to Triple H on Raw. Triple would go on to fight Cactus in a classic street fight match at RR, and Big Show fueded with the Rock. The second was at No Mercy 02 to Kurt Angle. Big Show was an obvious transitional champion, his title reign lasted one month and was used simply to get the title off Lesner and onto Angle so Lesner could fight him. Big Show even soon aligned himself with Angle after the loss, like Big Show didn't even care That Angle beat him and Heyman screwed him over.

I know that most people wouldnt think of this to be a good rematch, but:

Tatanka VS Ludvig Borga

Their first match in my eyes was pretty good, and the fact that it was Tatankas first loss, I desperately wanted to see how good the rematch was gonna be but Halme got injured and was never seen again. instead they threw in Bam Bam Bigelow at the Royal Rumble1994, and hes a fine wrestler and all, but their feud was basically over and the match wasnt that great

What about:

Edge vs Mr Kennedy:
This was a quick squash match on Raw last year to transfer the MITB from an injured Kennedy to Edge. The way the match came off, all 3 minutes of it, it made you think that when KK returned in the summer he would seek revenge on Edge for taking the MITB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back