Rate The Gimmick: D-Generation X - Rebels

Ferbian

Has Returned.
It's time for another installment of Rate The Gimmick. With a slight variation to introduce tag teams into this all. Tag teams however won't be the same thing every time, it will begin to variate from time to time. All depending on what I get of ideas.

The concept of this is for you to rate a gimmick of my choosing from 1-10, 1 being awful and 10 being awesome. Pretty simple right?

This week we'll look into our first tag team, or to some more specifically our first faction, you decide what you want to believe.

item-2483.jpg

Lovely pose, I wonder why they didn't do that in the original. At least I never saw that.

Anyway, D-Generation X was introduced in mid 1997. It started out as Rick Rude, Chyna, Triple H and Shawn Michaels, a bunch of rebellious degenerates that ran amok with comedy segments and making fun of various roster members.

With the return of Rick Rude to WCW, and Shawn Michaels temporary retirement, D-Generation X faced a reincarnation in terms of rebuilding the groups members. X-Pac and The New Age Outlaws joined Triple H and Chyna, to once again have numerous comedy segments alongside with dominating the title scene with both the Outlaws being tag team champions on numerous occasions, as well as Triple H after a while becoming WWF champion.

As Triple H moved on to create a storyline with Stephanie McMahon, D-Generation died out for a few years, only to be reformed in 2006 as Shawn Michaels and Triple H took upon the role of recreating the stable into a tag team. Feuding with the McMahon's for the most of it, only to disappear once again in 2007.

With a final incarnation that finally saw the tag team of Triple H and Shawn Michaels win tag team gold, for the first time in their careers together.

D-Generation X has feuded with numerous different people, from The Rock, Vince McMahon, Jeri-Show and many others throughout their career.

There's not much more to say about D-Generation X really, with exception of asking for your opinions on this stable / tag team that have been a bigger part in slowly introducing the Attitude Era, as well as numerous great moments throughout the 90's as well as 00's.

Remember, please give your reasons whenever you post, and ultimately remember to give a score.

10/10

For me this was THE Group that I wanted to be like(trust me and I did in some ways in my school).

Everything about this stable was brash, in your face and downright wicked.
It also helps that these two were overly brilliant on the mic, with their expressions and could really go in the ring.
I remember when the crotch chops started, man! it was a pandemic in school....EVERYBODY WAS DOING IT!!

They changed cultures and were absolutely a pleasure to imitate.

People do come down and say that they were nothing but a nWo rip-off.
Now I wasn't fortunate enough to see the nWo in their heyday all the time (caught just a little of them, got WCW irregularly here.) but after going through youtube and other dvd's I just have to say DX for me will be better in all aspects. I understand how a WCW will criticize the fact that they did first but just cause they did it first doesn't mean they did it best!!

DX was a faction that every kid wanted to join and trust me, we did have one at school!! (plus it was great to do a crotch chop to a teacher when they weren't looking :p)

I would say 10/10. They were cool, and they were completely different than anything that had been seen in WWE up to that point. Plus, it helped solidify 2 guys who would play a major role in the company for the next decade. It made the New Age Outlaws relevant. It helped establish the Rock, when he led the Nation of Domination in a feud against DX. For a long time, DX was the one constant in the WWE, feuding with young guys & established stars.

I was a big NWO fan, & I think DX was much different. They were both stables, but DX was never an outside group looking to take over WWE. NWO was billed as a threat to the survival of WCW, while DX was simply a group working within WWE. Also, DX was much more geared towards younger viewers. They were more juvenile. NWO was older guys, & just seemed to be more dangerous.

To answer a separate question asked in the OP about their pose. Triple H didn't use that pose until a while after DX even ended. He didn't even use that pose when DX consisted of X-Pac and The New Age Outlaws. So that is why they didn't do that pose until the reincarnation of DX.

Now on to rate Degeneration X's gimmick...

10/10

I say that with ease. That is a rating for every single version of DX as well.

Original DX - Sure, Rick Rude was in the group at the very early stages. Chyna was always there. Shawn Michaels and Triple H were obviously THE actual group. HBK, freshly turned Heel, former WWF Champion, was the established guy, the leader! HHH was a former IC Champion and had just won The KOTR. Was on fire and on the rise. The things they did along the path to their break up after Wrestlemania 14, was innovative, memorable and truly epic!

DX Army - After HBK retired, HHH assumed leadership of DX and reformed it. The new version, still included Chyna. But also added X-Pac (Shawn Waltman) and The New Age Outlaws (Roadogg Jesse James & Bad Ass Billy Gunn). The lineup may have changed but DX remained innovative still! They invaded an episode of Nitro in army gear among many other numerous off the wall shit.

DX 2000 Even though this is my least favorite version of DX. It was still big in it's own time. This was during The McMahon Helmsley Era. Trips, Pac and The NAO reunited. This time with HHH's wife, Stephanie McMahon Helmsley. This was by far the most over as Heels DX was. With Triple H holding The WWF Championship, and was now truly hated by the fans, they weren't well liked. At most times in the previous versions of DX, even when they were Heels, they were cheered still. Basically they were Tweeners. But not in DX 2000. People genuinely hated them this time around.

New & Improved DX - Years and YEARS in the making. A lot of people might consider this version as more of a shell of what they were the first time around. But I don't. I had been waiting for this reunion for a long, LONG time. When they finally came back together they started by feuding with Vince and also Shane McMahon. They were much more censored then they were back in 97-98. But yet again, they were still innovative. Pulling numerous pranks on Vince and feuding with the likes of Rated RKO, Randy Orton, Legacy, and JeriShow. And finally capturing Tag Team gold, TOGETHER.

They are an 10 all around to me. There was always maximum effort from DX and also for DX by WWF/E Creative. They were always entertaining and innovative.

10/10

dx was and is the greatest stable/tag team of all time they had everything main eventers (triple h shawn micheals rick rude) mid cards who my never have had a better push then being in the stable (x-pac and new age outlaws) and chyna just brought it together ik some people would say nwo was better but in terms of storylines and just how it all meshed together over the years dx was way better nwo in the last years was old and repeative dx was kept fresh even when it was just hhh and shawn in the last year of the group people still loved seeing them pull pranks and fued with vince they are a group that cant and never will be recreated to have the same impact as DX!!!

DX is my favorite tag team ever and HBK will always be my favorite,so ill give every version Dx up to the last one a 10/10 the last installment of D-Generation X ill give a 8/10 the reason i say that is because of they way they put hornswoggle into the group and the WWE title match with Cena. I have nothing against
Hornswoggle, heck i even like him, but the way they put him in it was dumb because he was only part of the tag team for all of what 3 episodes? And cmon the WWE title? Even a monkey would know whose going to win that match.

Easily 10/10. When I was growing up me and my friends lived and breathed everything to do with DX. Walking up to random girls and telling them to suck it was always a good time when you were 9 years old. The chemistry those guys had always made for good promos, the one where they were giving the speech on using profanity still sticks out in my mind today. Combined with the majority of them having good in ring working skills in their prime, these guys were the best.

I have a lot of memories from DX haha, I loved the gimmick and it was just awesome. The Latest version of DX was good but not as good as when they first started. I acted like them a lot in school being the rebel I was and still am.

Easy 10/10

Well first off... Can't really compare the nWo to DX. DX was a couple of rebels trying to piss off the company. The nWo became the only thing WCW did for awhile.

DX had great promos, got the crowd involved, great string of sucess, and almost every member of the group one day might be included the WWE hall of fame. That goes for Chyna, X-pac, and the New Age Outlaws. What these guys did for the industry was great. Yea, I don't care for Sean Waltman, but he did accomplish a lot in his days.

DX had the catchphrases and the crowd with them at all times. No stopping it. So I have to join most of the folks and say...

10 out of 10

Original DX = 10/10. Simply because I couldn't stop laughing at ANYTHING they did, and I'M CANADIAN!!

2006 DX = 7.5/10. Meh, it was a run-down version with HHH as a leader...

2009-10 DX = .... Can't even rate this one. I don't think I need to explain why. IT WAS HORRIBLE. (I don't mind though, it was funny for the younger ones, especially my niece. :)

10/10

For me this was THE Group that I wanted to be like(trust me and I did in some ways in my school).

trust me you werent alone, everytime in school me and my crew would be telling everyone,even teachers WE GOT 2 WORDS FOR YOU SUCCCK IT!!!!!!

but i rate this gimmick a 10 out of 10, this was the wwe verson of the nwo kind of, everything these guys did was tooo funny, like pretending to be the nation was a classic promo in wwe history one of the funniest ones ever, than riding a tank to wcw and taking them to war... now i know why alot of ppl miss the attitude era cuz it was priceless and we will never have moments like this again in wrestling history EVER

I'm also going to say 10 out of 10 because it was the perfect gimmick for a stable.

From their whole rebel gimmick, there was so much the writers could do. And not only were the options endless, it really made for interesting TV during the Attitude Era. DX and the Attitude Era went hand in hand. They were perfect for each other. When you put all of those elements together, it makes for a very memorable and historic gimmick.

All of the reincarnations of the group were not nearly as good as the original, but that was because it wasnt the Attitude Era anymore. But regardless, the original gimmick kept its prestige. So yeah, 10 out of 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back