Who is/was the true leader of DX: HBK & HHH?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The legendary faction of D Generation-X was born during the prolouge of the attitude era in 1997. Consisting of the president of D Generation-X Shawn Michaels. And vice president Triple H with then-girlfriend Chyna as the hit girl. From Survivor Series in '97 in where the infamous "Montreal Screwjob" happened, with Shawm Michaels coming out on the "winning" end with the WWF/E championship belt. To Wrestlemania 14 after HBK lost the WWF/E championship belt. That was the end of that era of DX, and when Triple H took over as it's leader a night later on RAW. And bring back kliq member Sean Waltman dubbed as X-Pac. And bringing in the New Age Outlaws Road Dogg & Bad Ass Billy Gunn.

So for the whole 365 days from the post-Wrestlemania RAW to the next. Triple H was the leader of D Generation-X. Unti'l Wrestlemania 15 in where Triple H turned on X-Pac during his match against Shane McMahon for the European championship. Thus turning him heel and against DX. So history repeated it's self the next night on RAW. Where X-Pac stood as DX's new frontman with the New Age Outlaws as the tag team of the stable. And then soon after that, Billy Gunn went his own for a during his "push".

But soon DX was back as a unit minus Chyna, enter Tori & Stephanie McMahon. And D Generation-X were once again heels. Since then the faction known as DX fizzed out. But returned in the form of Shawn Michaels & Triple H (minus Chyna). But this time around in 2006, Triple H seen as the frontman in D Generation-X being on the mic more than HBK use to be between the two. And Shawn Michaels brought the comedy relief into promo's & skits.

So in the history of D Generation-X. Who is/was the true leader of DX: HBK & HHH?

To be quite honest, people are probably gonna remember the HHH led DX more than the HBK DX.

The HBK led DX was a nice little heel stable, but it was all about HBK most of the time.

The HHH led DX had everyone share a piece of the spotlight. The Outlaws, X-Pac and even Chyna. They turned from Heel to an incredibly popular face group. They invaded WCW, made a girl flash, and the gimmick where they made fun of The Nation....need I say more.

I'm not gonna count that little return they did in 2006 although it was hilarious as well. It was DX, but it didn't feel like DX cause it was just them two.

When it comes down to it, HBK is the true leader because he started it in the first place and was a major star, but I'm always gonna remember DX as the popular group led by Triple H.

Really hard, but I'd have to give the nod to Triple H.

Heh, I didn't even know HHH led DX. I guess I should have, even though I didn't watch WWF during the Monday Night Wars. I DID know that HBK was retired and DX lived on, so if I had cared enough to put 2 and 2 together... but I didn't care enough. Not then at least.

For an nWo fan, I can't help but think of DX as HBK's thing, much like nWo was Kevin Nash's wing of the Kliq.

To me, DX will always be HBK, HHH, Rick Rude, & hermaphroditic Chyna, with a special go-between of X-Pac.

I never liked The Real Double J Jesse James in any form and I liked Rockabilly best for Billy Gunn.

But don't worry, I know I'm weird.

The HHH DX from (1998-2000.....both fun faces and heels) had way more/many memorable...the kind of stuff people will always remember. The HBK (late 1997-early 1998) was a nice heels faction but it just revolved around HBK and HHH as HBK's follower. The 2006-2010 version revolved around both HBK and HHH but to me HHH was the standout guy.

To me it is simply HBK. He was the focus of DX when it first started, he held the titles. He laid down for HHH to get him the meaningless Euro Championship like a good leader that wanted to screw the fans should. He was by far the star in that group.

I can understand others remembering the HHH led DX eras but that was just a watered down version of the original that we all loved to hate.

I'm probably just being nostalgic but HBK was the leader in my eyes and when he left DX was never the same.

To be quite honest, people are probably gonna remember the HHH led DX more than the HBK DX.

The HBK led DX was a nice little heel stable, but it was all about HBK most of the time.

The HHH led DX had everyone share a piece of the spotlight. The Outlaws, X-Pac and even Chyna. They turned from Heel to an incredibly popular face group. They invaded WCW, made a girl flash, and the gimmick where they made fun of The Nation....need I say more.

I'm not gonna count that little return they did in 2006 although it was hilarious as well. It was DX, but it didn't feel like DX cause it was just them two.

When it comes down to it, HBK is the true leader because he started it in the first place and was a major star, but I'm always gonna remember DX as the popular group led by Triple H.

Really hard, but I'd have to give the nod to Triple H.

I agree it started with hbk as the leader he left hhh created the dx army with new age outlaws and xpac...then it was a new dx that we saw lately which was obviously led by hhh because hbk was not so involved in the more explicit stuff because of his faith. So overall i would say hhh. HBK is still the bigger star of the two but hhh is DX

Triple H will more than likely be remembered as the leader for a few reasons. The biggest reason, though is because he was the head of the faction when people started clicking back to Raw from Nitro. In 1997, when HBK headed DX, a majority of people were still watching WCW. By the time Triple H took over, the audience was at more of a 50/50 split (mostly due to Austin) ... and within the year that DX was really going strong, the audience really shifted in WWE's favor.

The shame of it, though is that had HBK not injured his back, the stable could have gone from a memorable stable to an iconic stable in the mold of the NWO and The 4 Horsemen. The one thing the stable lacked was a presence in the World Title picture, and that was a role that HBK would have filled. Assuming Pac and the Outlaws joined, the stable could have had the IC Champ (HHH), the Euro Champ (X-Pac), the Tag Champs (New Age Outlawz) and the Women's Champ (Chyna). DX could have been the greatest force in WWE history.

triple h

when hbk led the group it was, as earlier stated, all about him. DX was supposed to help keep shawn at the top much like legacy to orton and evolution to triple h. When Hbk left due to injury, Triple H took the faction to a whole different level. They did many things a head of their time ex driving a tank to a WcW live event. The new age outlaws were able to capture tag gold and x-pac got himself some singles gold as well. Now im a little blurrly but im pretty sure Triple H won his first WWE championship from the big show while he was in DX.

When DX came back with just Triple H and Shawn, we saw Triple H take command of the group with the most of the mic work and Shawn took sidekick with the comedic relief. Most of the tag matches had Shawn take a beating then Hunter comes and clean house! The group is pure magic and helped ,along with Austin and the Rock, save the WWE through its hard times in the Monday Night Wars. Thank God for DX

triple h

Now im a little blurrly but im pretty sure Triple H won his first WWE championship from the big show while he was in DX.

Trips won his 3rd, on raw, against the big show.

His first was night after Summerslam against foley, 2nd was at Unforgiven in a "6 pack challenge".

But He did hold the world title while in a version of DX. The McMahon version of dx was just about HHH tho. The old one they were seemingly equals untill H turned on them. H and Pac were both fighting for and holding the same 2 mid card belts while the Outlaws were being tag champs - even road dogg had the IC title in early 1999.

The was no such equalness in any dx post Summerslam 99.

I never considered DX a stable in the beginning.. i always thought they were basically just a tag team with Chyna as the valet and Rick Rude as the manager for the short time he was there.. when X-Pac and the Outlaws joined, that's when they truly became a stable.. anyway, i enjoyed the original DX a lot, i loved them as heels during that time and how childish they were.. it was hilarious.. when Pac and the Outlaws joined, they were still great.. they have a lot of great memories during that time as well..

I'd say HHH is main leader of DX, he was the leader for most of the incarnations of the group.. except the beginning and when he turned on DX to go Corporate..

I'ma be honest with you. As we all know DX was started by Shawn Michaels. At this time Shawn Was WWF Champion and European Champion, and laid down to Triple H to award him the european title. But to agree with most readers on here, the First DX was basically founded around Shawn Michaels. But when Shawn Michaels reitired from Back Pain, Triple took over during the Attitude era which was huge because it was WWF's Boom Period and when the group really gained popularity with the New Age Outlaws and X-Pac. And later on when the group came back together, although Triple-H did most of the talking and they did have single as well as group feuds, you can kinda since in a way DX between the 2 became like a balance of power between the two.

I said that to say this, Without a doubt Shawn is really the true leader of DX. And Triple H was a great Predecessor, he took what Shawn Michaels started and ran with it. The Nation Skits, The Corporation Skits, The WCW Invasion, and didn't they have an essay contest to see who was gonna wrestle the Rock at One Time?

But I understand where people was coming from when they said Triple H was the true leader. But simply Triple H basically spend the majority of the time X-Pac and NAO during the Attitude era, and helped run WCW out of business. And before Michaels final retirement he basically did most of the talking and had more common sense than HBK.

But all cause Triple H ran with it, it doesn't make it his group. Shawn Created it, and Shawn could come back in it whenever he pleases. Saying Triple H was the True Leader of DX is like Saying Scottie Pippen was the Real Reason behind the Chicago Bulls success behind the 6 NBA Championships. The Bulls were Jordan's Team, and he wouldn't of did it by himself if not for Pippen and the rest of the team. But whenever Jordan retired, the Bulls failed to win the NBA Championship for 2 years in a row. And when Jordan comes back, they win 3 more.

So in all, Shawn Michaels was the true leader of DX cause he started it. And DX wouldn't of gone far in the Attitude era if not for Triple-H running with it, and the NAO and X-Pac doing their share of the part. The WWE just paired a group of guys that knew how to work well together. And that's a good thing, and it's a great reason for such a great thread like this.

When HBK was the leader it was to mentor Triple H however when they reunited there was no real leader but WWE made Shawn look like Triple H's sidekick. Personally I liked DX when HBK was leader then did more off the wall stuff. When Triple H was leader the dressed themselves up as people they feuded with .

When I think of D-Generation X, the incarnation that first springs to mind is the one with Triple H, X-Pac, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn, with their SUCK IT 69 football jerseys. That was the version of DX that was on top during the period when I first started watching WWE.

As great and as revolutionary of HBK's DX was, it was mainly all about Shawn, with Triple H a supporting character, while in the larger, Triple H led DX, all members were pushed with the Outlaws winning multipl tag-team titles, X-Pac having success in the mid-card and then Triple H in the world title scene.

The mocking of The Nation, The WCW "Invasion" in the tank, the great entrances from the Outlaws, the list goes on. DX have always given us great moments. I love looking back and seeing Shawn's version of DX, some of the stuff they did even then was hilarious, but because I have spent alot more time watching DX with HHH as the leader rather than HBK, I am going to have to give this one to The Game.

If I had to pick 2 members of DX though, it would be Trips and Shawn, but if only one could be leader, it would have to be Hunter.

it was HBK when it first started back in 97, he is the original founder then thriple H became the leader after WM14. when they came back seemed like HHH was more of the leader in the 2000 when it was the 2 of them bc hbk wasnt like he once was

Triple H is the guy that will be better remembered as the leader of DX since he's been the leader the entire time besides the first half year. Had Shawn not retired for four years, Triple H would not have been leader at all. Triple H has won something like 13 world titles since Shawn left, Triple H has been shoved in our faces since Shawn left but the fact of the matter is Shawn Michaels has been and always was the reason to watch DX. Triple H should have always been a level below Michaels because he is BORING. Shawn Michaels was hilarious as a hated heel and he was hilarious in 2006 as the sidekick. Even in his limited role as second to Trips, Shawn outdid him. Michaels 4 title runs were better quality than Trips 13, Michaels in ring work was better quality than Trips and Michaels was by far a superior entertainer whereas Triple H was just mediocre. Sure Trips will be seen by most post 1998 wrestling fans as the true leader of DX. But for me Michaels best embodies what DX was all about. Triple H will always be for me Shawn's tag along.

I'd have to go with HBK for a few simple reasons:-
1. He WAS DX up till Wrestlemania 14
2. Without him DX lacked a credible main-eventer till HHH got his WWF title, and even then HHH was no where near Michaels status as a main eventer (When he did eventually reach this level DX was no more)
3. When they reformed later for the last few runs no one held the belt so no one really was the leader. Yes HHH got more of the mic but that was because Shawn was averse to saying lots of DX-esque stuff, even though it was watered down by then.

Triple H was the main leader of DX. Out of the four incarnations of the faction.... Trips led all but the first. The first was Trips & Shawn led by Shawn. Second was Trips, X-Pac, and the New Age Outlaws led by Trips. Third was Trips and Shawn with Trips doing most of the talking and Shawn did more comedy in promos. Finally the last one was the same as the third only Hornswoggle was a mascot.

There was no official leader with the last two incarnations while with the first two there were. Trips and Michaels both led a version of the faction and either one could be considered the leader of the two recent versions. I say that it was Trips though because he acted more like the leader in the last two versions while Michaels took on more of a comedic role. That breaks the tie in Hunter's favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back