Random Thoughts by Glenn Gilbertti

based on how you've described yourself, i don't think ANY professional wrestling program would be looking for your dollar, nor your input. if you don't like hot girls, then that's your problem.

Uh...yeah. Apparently, as usual, you miss the point disco. I don't get a thrill out of men in tights either. As Gordon Solie used to say, "It says Wrestling on the Marquee".

And, you have put yourself into the same category of IWF'ers in your response to me alone. Rather than to counter-point the content of any of my assumptions, observations or personal beliefs, you have chosen the low road in attacking my character.

I'll give that you have helped choreograph some nice matches over the last couple years. But all we see is your constant attacks upon the fans. If you want to do something constructive, how about telling us what's good about the product. Build it up for us. I don't see how your attacks are helping build anything other than animosity. Make us want to see what you have to offer. Gee, I wonder why ratings are down (and on TV it looks like attendance is down as well...for a free show no less). Maybe the IWF'ers are reading your rants as well as us on the forums.

Uh...yeah. Apparently, as usual, you miss the point disco. I don't get a thrill out of men in tights either. As Gordon Solie used to say, "It says Wrestling on the Marquee".

And, you have put yourself into the same category of IWF'ers in your response to me alone. Rather than to counter-point the content of any of my assumptions, observations or personal beliefs, you have chosen the low road in attacking my character.

I'll give that you have helped choreograph some nice matches over the last couple years. But all we see is your constant attacks upon the fans. If you want to do something constructive, how about telling us what's good about the product. Build it up for us. I don't see how your attacks are helping build anything other than animosity. Make us want to see what you have to offer. Gee, I wonder why ratings are down (and on TV it looks like attendance is down as well...for a free show no less). Maybe the IWF'ers are reading your rants as well as us on the forums.

the reality is that your 50 year old wrestling fans grew up on gordon solie and lance russell. if they're still watching now, they'll be watching till their deathbed. give me one good reason why a show should be written for their tastes. i actually don't even consider you an internet wrestling fan, because you're actually too old for that category. you just fall into the category of guys that like wrestling matches.

I think TNA deserves the utmost credit for the Knockouts Division. It's been a revelation and the way they have built the characters has been excellent. The Beautiful People gimmick is a terrific heat-magnet and kudos should go to whoever came up with it.

Considering the content TNA is currently putting out across the board, which is admittedly not as cutting edge as it ought to be, it's pretty surprising that the main demo is the over-50s. A mistake in the research surely?

ShadowMancer.. that was for the recent weeks. That is concerning. But the time they were doing 1.2 in January they were getting the younger audience.

The shows that are really tame end up drawing a different demographic. There are way more other stuff that 18-34 year olds can waste their time watching than boring wrestling they can see ages ago.

The 'wrestling' on the wrestling show is probably what appeals to the 50 year olds. TNA needs to make their show more compelling..

I dont think TNA wants their audience to be 50 year olds.. even though the majority of the people on the net that whine about wrestling are 50 year olds that want their 70s rasslin back. Perhaps TNA is paying too much attention trying to cater to these people: Wade Keller/Dave Meltzer and the sheep who buy these people's dirtsheets

i actually don't even consider you an internet wrestling fan, because you're actually too old for that category. you just fall into the category of guys that like wrestling matches.

lol

Anyways, TNA has done a great job with Angelina/Velvet and the knockouts division I agree

I think TNA is trying to bring back that soap opera element though. i just wish they'd let Russo write a huge angle for TNA.. and continue developing each and every character on the show. The show needs to be written like a TV show and not a wrasslin show.

Russo is writing for TNA, he does have input just like the other people on the booking committee, so stop talking about Russo as if he's just sitting back doing nothing, waiting for an opportunity he's not getting. You're not fooling anyone.

And TNA didn't get this 50 year old demograph in one show. That demographic is their largest and it's obviously been watching TNA for a while, so they're failing miserably in drawing any audience they want as the younger audience isn't watching TNA, if you lose them for the short term then you've lost them for the long term.

Am I the only one that is tired of hearing about booking? "I would book this guy this way, I would book that guy that way." Whatever!!!! The wrestling business didn't become a multi-billion dollar industry with people who "don't have a clue" handling the booking. With the exception of one. I'm sure everyone is aware of what is said about opinions. But hey, if Glenn Gilbertti can have his published for the whole world to see then I figure it must be editorial open season. So, here's mine.

Can anyone tell me why the TNA Knockouts segments are the highest rated on the program? Besides the obvious, it's because Glenn doesn't write those segments. Have you heard some of this guys storyline and booking ideas? I mean really. The best gimmick this guy ever had was a goof in velvet bell bottoms that wouldn't have known Disco if it punched him in the mouth. Talk about low rated segments! Whew!!! Reminds me of the worst episode of Bosom Buddies.

Most of the guys here that are writing these "booking" columns start by saying, "I'm not a booker, never have been, probably never will be." Enough said right there. Shut up! You shouldn't even be writing the column. Now, I'm not going to tell anybody how to book anything beyond my Church League softball game next week. However, I am going to give you a fans view of what keeps us hanging on to every segment.

Every high rated segment is going to fall within one of the following categories. The segment is either in your face smash mouthed, high flying action packed with several close pin falls, or just down right sexy. I do include the violent and bloody matches that hold our attention in the in your face category. The Knockouts and Divas would fit into one of the categories, as would a Steve Austin promo, as would a latter match or many of the early X Division matches. A William Regal promo, however, of him sitting on a throne speaking in a very monotone voice would not. Nor would a match with a lot of headlocks or arm bars or just a lot of long "wearing down" holds.

Wrestling fans are much like hardcore roller coaster enthusiasts. We want to be taken to the edge, a lot. We want to be surprised, excited, or just plain turned on. Wrestling matches from days past were much like telling stories. I won't go into the structure of a match. Most of smarks as Disco likes to call us already know about that. But, we don't want to be told stories anymore. We want to be taken on a thrill ride. We want to ride that sadistic roller coaster every Monday, Thursday, and Friday night. Let the promo's tell the stories, let the matches thrill us.

The bottom line to what I'm saying is simple. I am much more likely to go to the kitchen for a bologna sandwich during a backstage Snitsky promo than I am during a Gail Kim, Roxxi Laveaux vs Angelina Love, Velvet Sky match. I am much more likely to channel surf while Borash is waiting out in the parking lot for Steiner to walk by and tell him how stupid he is than I am during a Hardy, Kennedy, Morrison, Jerico latter match.

In closing I want to say this. I don't who, when, how and so on you book a program. Just follow the model of keen businessman Dana White. Keep it exciting, keep it sexy, and keep it in my face. Grown men beating the hell out each other with beautiful young women walking the Octagon in bikini's. The only thing that could make it better would be having the girls fighting and Metallica playing in the background. Until next time........... C----yaaa!

Well, the knockouts look hot.. and if i'm channel flipping and see Gail Kim and Velvet/Angelina, I'm goin to stay on the channel. If I see two guys like MMG wrestling LAX, i'm probably not going to watch the show.. especially if it goes 20 minutes. It's boring...

If we see some good entertainment, like Nash doing hilarious stuff. Even the return of Disco's "Jive Tlakin'" segments where he flirts with the knockous. I remember seeing Disco on the early tna episodes trying to get Goldy Locks to strip. That shit is funny and it will keep channel flippers tuning in

The knockouts get a slightly higher rating than everything else. As for Vince Russo.. he's on the creative team, some days he'll have more input (visibly) but he's writing the show for Jeff. It's not like WWF, where most of his ideas would get through and McMahon would just add a few things here and there. but most of the shows he wrote in WWF weere ALWAYS controversial, edgy, entertaining, very fast paced and eye grabbing as well as larger than life characters and dialogue

TNA a lot of times dont have that. When I see a show with mostly wrestling and wrestling-oriented stories only, I just have to assume that there's no Vince Russo input because history in his WWF/WCW PROVES that he doesn't write boring predictable shows. TNA has done a lot of shows that leaves me scratching my head going "they didn't do boring shows a few months ago"

Don't follow UFC> Wrestling is scripted. UFC is shoot fighting. I love the girls in UFC, but wrestling has always been about the larger than life stories and characters. WRestling has to embrace that like they did in WWF. Kids and men know that the show is an act.. Embrace the entertainment aspect like they did in WWF and Russo wrote teh shows WELL and got them HUGELY over..

My point is you have to get the masses enjoying the show. And predictable fake wrestling is NOT the key.. People see hot women and stick around. They may see the ludicriousness of an Angle/AJ wedding, find it entertaining and want to stick around for next week.

They may see Shark Boy stunning everyone on the roster and loving the perfect impression of Stone Cold and want to tune in to see if he stuns Cornette teh next week. They may tune in to see the ANgle/AJ saga continue.

It's all about keeping the characters fresh, exciting and to the point of attracting anyone who watches the most popular shows.

I just finished vol 1 of Beavis and Butt head.. damn that mtv stuff was controversial. I found that stuff hilarious and entertaining. the featurette was a good lookback on how that show got on the air.

My point is.. TNA doesn't have anything really newsworthy to get people talking. WWF attitude got everyone talking.. media, kids, people who went to work. That got more people talking and watching. How is word of mouth goin to happen for TNA when they aren't doing jack shit worth talking

(this isn't a knock on last TNA episode.. i enjoyed it.. but I do think it should be 2 hours of mayhem)

- I think it's obvious Russo is behind the dialogue for Velvet and Angelina's roles.. WWE can't write shit.. I wish they pushed Christy more.. They do need sex appeal... it draws.. but you have to do it well. good soap opera angles.

This is probably going to get me alot of heat, but I think it's kinda funny... Everybody pokes at "Disco Inferno". Everybody hates Glen Gilbertti. Back when I first started watching WCW, I actually liked The Disco Inferno. I'd mark out anytime he came out... When he won the television title...holy crap, I lost it. Do you know why? Because it wasn't the same crap again... It wasn't Hogan winning ANOTHER title...or Macho Man rambling on about "Space being the place" and "Reincarnation doesn't have to be, YEAH!"...Or Ric Flair Winning the Heavyweight Title....again... Who remembers the "cheat sheet"? That was original... He forgot his finishing move.... Funny stuff. Cheesy? yes. Stupid? Very... But damn it, it was ORIGINAL! Disco Inferno was a funny gimmick... you have to admit that it was funny listening to "Disco Sucks!" chants every week... I'm gonna have to hand it to Mr. Gilbertti here. He tells it like it is and expresses his opinions and feelings whether it offends people or not, and he doesn't pull any punches. I'm the same way... So I respect him for it. I think what alot of people have issues with, is the fact that he's able to discredit alot of things from an "inside the business" standpoint, and people hate being wrong and being TOLD they're wrong. Cut him some slack. He was hired to write here, let him do his job!

Glenn Gilberti is among the most transparent trolls I've ever seen. I know Mr. Gilberti, it kills you that some internet favorite like Bryan Danielson, who may not have as impressive of a bank account as you, has drawn more people to his rinky-dink gyms and armories that he performs at than you ever did as a useless curtain-jerking joke in WCW and TNA. I know it kills you that if you rolled around in shit you wouldn't draw a fucking fly. I know it kills you that as tiny as most of Danielson's crowds are that he performs in front of it, those tiny crowds are much larger than any tickets you actually contributed in convincing people to pay to come see any card you participated on.

Glenn Gilberti is among the most transparent trolls I've ever seen. I know Mr. Gilberti, it kills you that some internet favorite like Bryan Danielson, who may not have as impressive of a bank account as you, has drawn more people to his rinky-dink gyms and armories that he performs at than you ever did as a useless curtain-jerking joke in WCW and TNA. I know it kills you that if you rolled around in shit you wouldn't draw a fucking fly. I know it kills you that as tiny as most of Danielson's crowds are that he performs in front of it, those tiny crowds are much larger than any tickets you actually contributed in convincing people to pay to come see any card you participated on.
I don't understand. What makes him a troll? The fact that he accurately makes statements, regardless of what people think of him?

I find it funny you talk about Danielson and your comparison with Disco. You talk about Danielson drawing rinky-dink crowds, and then go on to say that Disco was working in the biggest wrestling promotion in the world, and was a multiple time television and tag team champion.

Besides, your argument seems to be that because Glenn Gilbertti didn't draw during his career, he has no right to criticize another wrestler. Well, tell me this. How many fans have you drawn in your wrestling career? Because, according to your logic, you would have had to been either a major draw or work in a major company for your opinion to not be considered "trolling".

So, I eagerly await to hear the grand tales of the crowds you've enticed to buy tickets.

This is probably going to get me alot of heat, but I think it's kinda funny... Everybody pokes at "Disco Inferno". Everybody hates Glen Gilbertti. Back when I first started watching WCW, I actually liked The Disco Inferno. I'd mark out anytime he came out... When he won the television title...holy crap, I lost it. Do you know why? Because it wasn't the same crap again... It wasn't Hogan winning ANOTHER title...or Macho Man rambling on about "Space being the place" and "Reincarnation doesn't have to be, YEAH!"...Or Ric Flair Winning the Heavyweight Title....again... Who remembers the "cheat sheet"? That was original... He forgot his finishing move.... Funny stuff. Cheesy? yes. Stupid? Very... But damn it, it was ORIGINAL! Disco Inferno was a funny gimmick... you have to admit that it was funny listening to "Disco Sucks!" chants every week... I'm gonna have to hand it to Mr. Gilbertti here. He tells it like it is and expresses his opinions and feelings whether it offends people or not, and he doesn't pull any punches. I'm the same way... So I respect him for it. I think what alot of people have issues with, is the fact that he's able to discredit alot of things from an "inside the business" standpoint, and people hate being wrong and being TOLD they're wrong. Cut him some slack. He was hired to write here, let him do his job!

Most internet fans are a bunch of fucking dipshits and can be proven wrong very, very easily. That takes no effort whatosever.

He said that more people would pay to see him in a comedy match against Honky Tonk Man than a Bryan Danielson match. Such a statement is laughable. Then again, I expect someone who sips on his Kool-Aid to completely miss my point and not be aware of what I'm referring to.

http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/07/2...no-says-danielson-cant-wrestle-yes-seriously/
You could have just linked his column here on Wrestlezone. After all, that's where he works, and the forums you are at.

Furthermore, I would rather pay to see Disco vs. Honky than I would Bryan Danielson against random ROH jobber. Why? Because they actually have characters that were at least semi-entertaining, and didn't look like some guy I would see on the street. Furthermore, neither of the guys look like a giant penis. Can't really say that about Danielson.

Oh, and I was completely aware, and almost put it in my last post, but decided against. Thanks anyways.

Most internet fans are a bunch of fucking dipshits and can be proven wrong very, very easily. That takes no effort whatosever.
I don't think I even need to comment on why this comment is ironic.

This guy is funny because it is hard to be proved Wrong when talking about an industry based around Lies, Storytelling and Half Truths. Certain things can be wrong. but nothing can be completely wrong. I have said Danielson has potential.

Anyway I have a comment for Glenn can you please number your Random thoughts or come up with a subheading for them. It would make it so much simpler to post them in here.

You start to realize that everybody, at some point, needs a scapegoat... Mr. Gilbertti, you have been chosen, apparently. It's always the people who make great points, have the most evidence/facts to back their claims, and are very difficult to disprove otherwise...

Just as you are all entitled to your opinions when it comes to not liking Glen Gilbertti, he is entitled to share his experience in the business with the rest of us. In that respect, I honestly don't think that intentionally and personally (verbally) attacking somebody is the right thing to do in situations such as this... If you want your opinion to be heard and respected, be classy about expressing it. As far as I'm concerned, If it sounds like bullshit, looks like bullshit, and smells like bullshit...you probably read it here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back