• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Random Slyfox Comments (questions welcomed, replies not promised)

In fairness, I'm not trying to start a conversation about it here, I'm just stating what has made me giggle a little.

So I picked up the PC game 7 Days to Die at a discounted price. And the game is VERY fun so far. I haven't used the firearms much yet, but putting a crossbow bolt through the face of a fat zombie is incredibly rewarding.

The only issues I've had have been related to the fact my machine is many years old and so I have to turn the video settings down to get a decent framerate. But, other than that, this game has been awesome so far.

I've been playing 7 Days like crazy. Built a fortress. Have a main base and an iron reinforced wooden fence all the way around, complete with guard towers in each of the four corners of the fortress. I have set chests on both levels of every guard house, with 50 bullets of every gun type in the chest, as well as food, water and healing supplies. If I get attacked by a horde of zombies, I should be ready to fend them off.

Oh, and why do some people feel the need to lie so often? I can tolerate most things, but lying has simply never been one of them.

Apart from the lies we have told/still tell to protect ourselves in hard situations, there are two more types of lying that I've witnessed in two blood relatives, which I'd like to share:
One is popularly called "bluffing," I believe... the unnecessary lies, just because. My dad used to do that a lot, he used to boast to his friends claims like "I'm about to sell my car and buy a new one next month," even though there were no plans for it. When inquired, he would simply answer something like "Ah, it doesn't matter." I think it's a habitual thing and they just cannot help it; it's kind of like an addiction.
The second type is practiced by my aunt, and is more of "politicking." No matter what question you ask her, she will think for a couple of seconds and answer something, while really not answering anything that you wanted to know. You can tell, as soon as you hear it, that it's a lie, and the person is trying to answer something politically correct. I feel that type of lying stems from one's own insecurity and past experiences where they were victims of others' politics, and thus always tries to stay alert that they don't answer anything which might come to bite them back later on.
Either way, I guess both are wrong, even though the practitioners might not be doing it deliberately.

I have a question:

What do you think an average citizen could try to do (in a democratic country, of course) in contributing towards eradication of communalism, racism, regionalism, religious hatred, and so on?
Two of the most common suggestions we hear, are: (a) not taking part in any such act yourself, and (b) voting for the right candidates. Do you agree with the effectiveness of these? Do you think there is anything else that one can do?

What do you think an average citizen could try to do (in a democratic country, of course) in contributing towards eradication of communalism, racism, regionalism, religious hatred, and so on?
Two of the most common suggestions we hear, are: (a) not taking part in any such act yourself, and (b) voting for the right candidates. Do you agree with the effectiveness of these? Do you think there is anything else that one can do?
You're talking about things which have existed since the dawn of time. The idea any one person, or even any one society, can eradicate things which have existed forever is just not realistic.

I see...
So, are time and education over a long period, the only realistic hope?

The only hope, yes...realistic? Not really. Generally the intolerance of which you speak is bred from ignorance and the need for self value. You perceive yourself as better than another because we feel the need to be okay with ourselves and far too many people need the external stimulation to fuel their self-worth. And as long as you never have to actually deal with others who are unlike you, it's so much easier to claim you're better.

Education is the only way, but at the end of the day, the same things which cause conflict (and not even referring to scarcity of resources) today are not much different than they've ever been. They just have new names and faces.

If I get attacked by a horde of zombies, I should be ready to fend them off.
Got attacked by the Day 7 hordes. It wasn't even a fair fight. Only one zombie even penetrated the fortress. I know the later hordes will get tougher and tougher, but the Day 7 horde didn't really put my defenses to the test.

I need some other PC games to look into. I recently bought NBA 2K15 during the Steam sale and it's pretty fun.

Барбоса;5235567 said:
I recently got Tango Fiesta from Steam.

It's a tribute to those top-down shoot'em ups from the late late 80s/early 90s like Super Smash TV.
How is it?

I think that's such a big problem with today's games...they try just way too hard. There's a reason Minecraft was/is so successful.

What makes a wrestler a 'spot monkey'?

I've heard it thrown about for years but I've never quite got it. Maybe it's because I like the high flying stuff or maybe it's because people throw it around way to liberally (like the Cena 5 moves of doom argument)

I mean off the top of my head the only sort of 'spot monkeys' I can think of are Amazing Red and to a lesser extent Kofi Kingston

To understand what spot monkey means, you have to think about what is a spot. A spot is any pre-planned moment of the match. Throughout a match, you have a number of spots planned. Some wrestlers prefer to just have one for the opening of the match and the ending of the match (this if Ric Flair's preferred style). Other wrestlers, like Randy Savage, would have many many more moments planned throughout the match.

In between each spot, you have wrestling in order to transition to the next spot. A spot monkey is a worker with very poor, and many times very obvious, transitions to their next big spot. In other words, a spot monkey is someone who just jumps from one spot to the next, without ever really considering how to tie them all together logically within the flow of a match. Generally spot monkeys are poor workers and because of their terrible, or even non-existent, transitions, they have terrible matches, which is why the term "spot monkey" is one spoken with derision.

Hope that makes sense.

Playing Minecraft right now. Just built a Nether portal. Spawned in the Nether at level 70, with absolutely no land around for approximately 150 blocks and nothing but lava underneath me.

Worst. Spawn. Ever.

Sly is a robot and thus has no imagination. This rules out WZCW.

In the Wrestling non-spam sections, I'm often faced with a situation where I type a reply to a post... then I reconsider whether what I write will actually add anything to the discussion, or whether it is a very simple reply that someone must have said already... and I just end up closing the tab.

Is that the right approach, for what good is a remark that is little more than an answer to a survey, or is it the wrong approach, for the very purpose of the forums is so that we can answer what we think?

In the Wrestling non-spam sections, I'm often faced with a situation where I type a reply to a post... then I reconsider whether what I write will actually add anything to the discussion, or whether it is a very simple reply that someone must have said already... and I just end up closing the tab.

Is that the right approach, for what good is a remark that is little more than an answer to a survey, or is it the wrong approach, for the very purpose of the forums is so that we can answer what we think?
Meh, in those situations, do as you wish. There have been numerous times over the years where I will write out a reply and decide I either don't like it or it isn't necessary and I'll close it out. It's all in how you wish to proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back