Question to Ty Burna/Other hip-hop fans

Milkyway!

Hodor!
[YOUTUBE]y-idbqUzwxs[/YOUTUBE]

Why isn't this guy considered to be up there with Pac/Nas/Biggie/Jay-Z/whatever other higher echelon of rappers/hip hop artists. He's got some amazing songs.

[YOUTUBE]y-idbqUzwxs[/YOUTUBE]

Why isn't this guy considered to be up there with Pac/Nas/Biggie/Jay-Z/whatever other higher echelon of rappers/hip hop artists. He's got some amazing songs.

Too Short makes excellent fun tracks, but he's not a killer on the mic. He's from the days pre-Rakim where it was a very basic rhyme scheme, and that's exactly how he plays it. He's still a legend but he's not in that top flight of rappers. It doesn't help he's been virtually underground his entire career. Good storyteller but not anywhere near the level of Slick Rick.

Too Short makes excellent fun tracks, but he's not a killer on the mic. He's from the days pre-Rakim where it was a very basic rhyme scheme, and that's exactly how he plays it. He's still a legend but he's not in that top flight of rappers. It doesn't help he's been virtually underground his entire career. Good storyteller but not anywhere near the level of Slick Rick.

To clarify, you're essentially saying he's just too simplistic with his style of rap in comparison?

To clarify, you're essentially saying he's just too simplistic with his style of rap in comparison?

Pretty much. When hip hop started it was always rhyming at the end of the bars with few syllables. It was rather simplistic and that's where Too Short comes from. This was how it was for the longest time until Rakim came around and started throwing out internal rhymes and multi syllable rhymes. A lot of rappers from the 90's such as your Biggie, 2pac, Jay-Z, etc were greatly influenced by Rakim by introducing new techniques.

Biggie and Pac were maestros with telling stories on the mic, with Biggie having an incredible rhyme scheme, while Pac had the best delivery. While Biggie did have a lot of fluff songs, when he dropped serious songs I don't think even Pac was on his level. Listen to Biggie's song Juicy, and then Pac's song Changes. They have a deep emotional impact, Juicy about going from struggling to live on the street, to reaching his dream. Changes meanwhile is about hoping for a better life for the people Pac grew up around, and for the world to be better in general.

Short knew how to put a good song together, but he doesn't have near the skill of the top guys in hip hop history. He's still a legend in hip hop but he's not going to be anywhere near the Mount Rushmore of the genre.

Too Short will always be a west coast legend. But like Ty said he's never been supremely great rapping. He can tell a good story when wants to, especially in regards to social commentary. Tracks like "The Ghetto" and "I Want To Be Free" are examples of Short at his best. Plus he had great production from Ant Banks for a period. He's kind like DJ Quick to a degree as far as rapping ability goes.

I wouldn't say the reason Too Short isn't considered legendary is because he's too simplistic, it's just that his rap style was already being done better by other rappers. Guys like Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, and Guru were the guys that I would say perfected the simplistic rhyme scheme before Rakim changed the scene with guys like Pac and Biggie.

Listen to Kool G Rap's road to riches and you'll hear what I mean. There are some signs of what Ty is talking about with multi-syllable rhymes and some internal rhyming.

There's nothing wrong with Too $hort, but he was a medium sized fish in a big pond, and that pond had some megalodons swimming around.

Simplicity is a factor, but also because there's no deep meaning behind most of his records. All he really raps about is sex.

Too Short IS in the class of Legendary. Maybe its just because im from the West Coast, but he is def considered one fo the big OG vets.

Simplicity is a factor, but also because there's no deep meaning behind most of his records. All he really raps about is sex.

A lot of it boils down to this. Skill-wise, I don't think anyone has any doubts. The thing is, he pretty much wraps about nothing but bullshit.

A lot of it boils down to this. Skill-wise, I don't think anyone has any doubts. The thing is, he pretty much wraps about nothing but bullshit.

Ain't nothing wrong with that. If I remember correctly he helped push the hyphy movement as well along with Mac Dre and E-40. Definitely a pioneer of West Coast hip hop and he's got a spot there as a legend. He's just not gonna be known as an elite level MC.

That being said, Too Short is always in my rotation. Even when he moved out to Atlanta and got hooked on the Dirty South sound.

My question likely stems from my 2-3 month long enjoyment of many of his songs. They're easy to rap along with, fun, and definitely make a good sound on the upgraded loud speakers/amp in the car.

Also, just to create a little more discussion I've never been much of a fan of Pac's overall music; however, I can't deny he's one of if not the best rapper ever. (I personally love Nas as best ever)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back