• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Old School Newsletter

I don't know about that. Warrior played his role perfectly and while there are few absolutes in wrestling, one is that you can't have a great match with just one great performance. that was a great match.

But you have to be capable to be carried. I know that no incarnation of Savage could carry my fat ass to **1/4, much less to a match that is considered a classic even though HE FUCKING TALKED TO HIS HANDS! I remember as a kid, just getting over finding out it wasn't real, wondering if Warrior was just fucking crazy.

But you have to be capable to be carried. I know that no incarnation of Savage could carry my fat ass to **1/4, much less to a match that is considered a classic even though HE FUCKING TALKED TO HIS HANDS! I remember as a kid, just getting over finding out it wasn't real, wondering if Warrior was just fucking crazy.

You'd think that, but then again, this is Savage. The guy was born with a dad as a booker, and the sport in his blood. I find it funny when you consider how much booker's sons tend to carry their opponent in the match. Even in a Bret-Flair match circa- 1992. If you read his book, he carried Ric through it.

Then again, he's not biased at all...

I love Bret Hart to death, but he's a bit of a dick. Especially when it comes to Flair. Flair is a dick himself though so I guess it balances out in the grand karma equation.

I love Bret Hart to death, but he's a bit of a dick.

I get that impression from reading his book. Dear God, it seems every night, he finds some beauty to sleep with. I don't care who you are, no one's ever that lucky. Not even the Nature Boy himself

Question... Would anyone post if I made a thread arguing over which Funk was better?

Question... Would anyone post if I made a thread arguing over which Funk was better?

It's Terry Funk by about 12 million thousand quadricetrimentimultimillion. Dory was quite frankly one of the most boring wrestlers to ever live, and that's being generous. He made Bruno Sammartino look like Rey Mysterio. One of the greatest trainers of all time no doubt about it though. He had some great matches in Japan as well.

It's Terry Funk by about 12 million thousand quadricetrimentimultimillion. Dory was quite frankly one of the most boring wrestlers to ever live, and that's being generous. He made Bruno Sammartino look like Rey Mysterio. One of the greatest trainers of all time no doubt about it though. He had some great matches in Japan as well.

Yeah, pretty much my thought. I wanna have a brother tandem in which you could split the voting right down the middle, and have a good argument.

Rick and Scott Steiner?

Note: I will not do the Harts. Been done too many times

Rick and Scott Steiner is another incredibly lopsided discussion as well. Scott by a mile and a half.

Bret and Owen are really the only comparable brothers that spring to mind. Perhaps the Von Erichs.

I agree with this. Dory was much more interesting to watch in the ring when tagging with Terry. Harley/Dory had some great singles though.

The cousins thing sounds like a great idea, but I think a father/son would be more interesting. Blackjack Mulligan/Barry Windham, Johnny Valentine/Greg Valentine, Dusty/Dustin etc.

Tito Santana could have been a WCW champion. I would have liked that.

Seriously, am I the only fucking Greg Valentine mark on this board? I need to know.

No, between his Dog Collar match with Piper at Starrcade '83 and his run as Tag Champion with Brutus Beefcake, one can say Valentine was very versatile and could work with nearly anyone. Stiff as hell in the ring though. Gotta respect the Hammer.

The Hammer is underrated in the ring. He had some absolute classics with Tito Santana at the Boston Garden, absolute classics.

Has to be Valentine's title win over Tito at the Boston Garden in the fall of '84. Those guys worked theif tails off every time they faced each other, and Valentine's title win was always a classic moment to me. Shit just the fact that he'd come off the top rope with an elbow was hardcore in those days, Valentine was definitely underrated and his feud with Santana proves that to me. They had a slew of great matches spread out throughout house shows all over the country, from Boston to Houston to Canada. They had a very good lumberjack if I remember correctly in 85 as well.

Really though, any time they met up it was always going to atleast be very fun, if not awesome. Loved that feud.

Why not just ask me to pick my favorite child?

It'd come down to one of the Flair match-ups, or perhaps his tag match with Dory against Hansen and Brody in AJPW.

Yes, yes it was. Pretty much everything AJPW did from 84-99 was nine thousand kinds of epic.

So I guess this is the official bullshit about old school thread? Cool.

Any fans of Power Hour? I've been re-watching my tapes this past week, and for one of WCW's more minor shows, the match quality is incredible. The two standout guys are Anderson and Pillman. I think with the year 1990 alone, you could make a double disc DVD out of ***+ matches with Anderson, facing the likes of Muta in a PPV main-event quality matches, Buzz Sawyer or relative unknowns such as Tim Parker, the guy was a straight up machine. And as for Pillman, well, his tag matches with Tom Zenk were just brilliant. The 4/20/90 match with the Express might just be one of my favourite non-PPV/special event tag matches ever.

So I guess this is the official bullshit about old school thread? Cool.

Any fans of Power Hour? I've been re-watching my tapes this past week, and for one of WCW's more minor shows, the match quality is incredible. The two standout guys are Anderson and Pillman. I think with the year 1990 alone, you could make a double disc DVD out of ***+ matches with Anderson, facing the likes of Muta in a PPV main-event quality matches, Buzz Sawyer or relative unknowns such as Tim Parker, the guy was a straight up machine. And as for Pillman, well, his tag matches with Tom Zenk were just brilliant. The 4/20/90 match with the Express might just be one of my favourite non-PPV/special event tag matches ever.

Good to have you here, man. I remember you when I first started posting. Talking about Hansen and stuff. The WWE should release a best of the Clash of the Champions DVD set. Talk about some gems on those things. Sting vs. Flair I, Funk vs. Flair, Midnights vs. Rock N' Roll Express for the 1503rd time. I remember them doing a War Games themed Clash, which ended up being a PPV. The Power Hour and WCW Main Event were also epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back