Oi, GSB!

Do you British have any vegetarian food?

As main dishes?

Cheese on toast is the national dish of Wales (not kidding)

We're not well known for Salads, we're a pretty goddamn carnivourous nation, primarily because we can only grow a few root vegetables and berries - nothing really interesting grows in Britain naturally so generally vegetables are used as accompaniments to meat since we have plenty of good space for livestock.

How's the texture in that blood pudding (sausage?)

@GSB: Check out Man vs Food and Bizarre Foods America for a glimpse of different American cuisines. On a related note, the legendary Nasty Boyz (their words) were featured in an episode of MvF Nation.

How's the texture in that blood pudding (sausage?)

It's like a drier sausage and by sausage I mean like American links, not a Frankfurter.

@GSB: Check out Man vs Food and Bizarre Foods America for a glimpse of different American cuisines. On a related note, the legendary Nasty Boyz (their words) were featured in an episode of MvF Nation.

The 'cuisine' featured in MvF that is not hamburgers or sandwiches is not American. It is taken from various other cultures - Mexican, Japanese, Chinese etc.

Soups are my speciality, Dowds.

tumblr_m4vau49FSE1qgu8oa.gif

You ever gone to Cullen for it? My parents own a caravan just along the coast from there so I've had a fair few bowls over the years. That and butteries together are a fine but pretty unhealthy coupling, mainly due to the buttery.

You ever gone to Cullen for it? My parents own a caravan just along the coast from there so I've had a fair few bowls over the years. That and butteries together are a fine but pretty unhealthy coupling, mainly due to the buttery.

I've never been to Scotland at all myself, though I do have some relatives up there. Then again, I've never been to Karachi but that hasn't stopped me from chowing down on several dopiazas in my time.

As is Britain, certainly in the larger cities like Manchester.

So tell me then, what's the local fare in Chicago? Other than...
220px-Giordano%27s_Deep_Dish_Pizza.jpg

Flattery will get you nowhere (this time). I don't see how our food can be dry when most dishes are served with some sort of sauce or gravy. Tasteless is also an invalid criticism, especially since over 50% of the UK is used for agriculture, and we are also one of the biggest importers of ingredients, so our dishes are hardly devoid of flavour. If your experience with British cooking is limited to some themed restaurant over there, then you can't call all of our food since you haven't had the authentic thing.

Isn't the world's largest McDonald's in the Olympic Park? Which brings me on to...

Typical Londoner response. Our capital may as well be a different country it's that out of touch. You're right though, as is Барбоса, in that British food is experiencing a high point right now because of people like this:
images
images
images
What makes their recipes so special is that they will use traditional British dishes and modernise them. The classics that I put in my opening post are still enjoyed up and down the country outside of the London bubble, and moreover it's what foreigners think of when they think 'British cuisine'.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Well yeah, there are chains of restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe where the menu is mostly burgers the size of your head, but I'm sure there is more to North American food as that; with such a large country there must be a myriad of regional variation, especially with the melting pot notion you mentioned above.
My girlfriend and I used to go to a restaurant in Manchester called Old Orleans that was Louisiana themed: jazz music and memorabilia, creole cuisine and cocktails, etc., it was a fun place to go, but I doubt it's a patch on the real deal.

Here's some more food:

110_chicken___40_cloves.jpg

660__beef_casserole.jpg

1330_lamb_shank.jpg

265_pork___rosti.jpg

2445874328_5819315270.jpg

p-fig4_1482240c.jpg

Bomb lookin dishes. All of em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics