*OFFICIAL* Old School Wrestling Discussion (New Generation & Earlier Discussion ONLY)

Oh I've been loving Rhodes. He's been doing a great job with whatever he's given. I'm just saying that he hasn't been "defending his title on a fairly regular basis". Being anal is just my thing. See also: "Heroin spelled with a capital H because it's a brand name"

It kind of proves my point though. I had no idea he hadn't defended in a while yet I still know he's the champion. Swagger won the title a couple of weeks ago and if you happened to miss that episode, you probably have no idea who the champ is.

Also, what's the generic version of Heroin?

Totally disagree there. Ryder did more for that title chasing it than Ziggler ever did holding it.

Someone mentioned how Rhodes brings credibility to the Intercontinental Championship, that's what I thought Ziggler did with the US Championship. He had some solid matches along the way, too. I agree though, the whole feud with Ryder made the belt seem important. Ryder wanted the belt more than anything, Ziggler wouldn't let him have it, Ryder had to use the fans to get into contention -- good stuff there.

My biggest shock coming to this forum was the the new definition of old school wrestling. I used to post at another message board a few years ago (around 2005) and most of the old school posts were of the 80s/early-mid 90s. Not that I have a problem with the attitude era being called old school, just surpised. I guess eventually this time in wrestling will become old school.

I loved the attitude era. Being in middle school/high school during that time frame the whole Austin/DX thing was awesome. Wrestling became the cool thing in school. Every Tuesday the big discussion was RAW/Nitro. Great time in wrestling. The problem is there is no where to go from there. PPVs need tv for build up but instead tv is used for main event matchs and shock value. Theres way too many ppvs.

I started watching the current product again over the summer. Punk/Cena had me interested. In the 80s/90s the feud would have lasted a year. Hate how everything is hot shoted.

I also hate the worked shoot. We are the reality tv generation and I cant stand it. Everyone knows wrestling is fake but if you work the angle right the fans will be glad to forget that fact.

So, I'm putting this thread back on topic.

If there is any more off-topic discussion in this thread, I'm deleting the posts. Therefore, once again, I'm reminding everyone that this thread is for discussion of pro-wrestling PRIOR TO the Attitude Era. That means the Attitude Era is NOT included in this topic nor are the eras that came afterwards; including today.

Man... I really wish our posters knew how to read and comprehend.

Like... comprehend that nobody is really interested in discussing pre-Attitude stuff? Oh, I'm having no problem comprehending that, geezer. ;)

I'm so sick and tired of everyone begging for the Cruiserweight or European titles to come back. If the current midcard titles are not being utilized properly, what makes you think a LESS PRESTIGIOUS title will do better? It's common sense and it frustrated me to no end that no one sees it.

There's a lower division of wrestlers that have no direction and no reason for fans to give a shit about them because they either get shafted with shitty television feuds or are relegated to NXT or Superstars obscurity. Even if the Cruiserweight Championship isn't featured prominently, it would give a select group of wrestlers purpose and make them more regular characters on television, rather than being doomed to the revolving door of the under-card.

Titles provide a framing to matches and feuds. Of course such framing can be provided by carefully crafting storylines regardless of whether a title is involved or not, but such attention is hard to give to every little feud, especially in the under-card. However, a title grants immediate importance to the match and the Cruiserweight Championship in particular promises an exciting, fast-paced wrestling style.

Also, both mid-card titles were being used very well, elevating Rhodes, Ziggler and then subsequently Ryder, only that petered out as he became part of Cena's storyline. Fuck, Swagger hasn't even been on television for weeks. Terrible. And even Rhodes, though he's still being used predominantly, isn't defending the title, likely because the roster on both shows is thin so they can't have him defend the title in a separate match since there's no one as over to take his place in the Chamber.

Also, both mid-card titles were being used very well, elevating Rhodes, Ziggler and then subsequently Ryder, only that petered out as he became part of Cena's storyline. Fuck, Swagger hasn't even been on television for weeks. Terrible. And even Rhodes, though he's still being used predominantly, isn't defending the title, likely because the roster on both shows is thin so they can't have him defend the title in a separate match since there's no one as over to take his place in the Chamber.

You must not have read my previous post properly because this paragraph was EXACTLY my point. If the current midcard titles are currently not being properly utilized, why should the WWE create more titles that will lead to more obscurity?

See, this is where everyone is wrong. You guys all ask for more titles and more divisions. However, if EVERYONE is a champion, what's the point of a title belt?? This is basically giving the WWE a reason to devalue their titles even further than what has already transpired with the US and IC belts.

New divisions and more gold is NOT the answer. Matter of fact, it couldn't be further from the answer. They need to restart and shift their focus back onto the titles that are currently in play. If THOSE divisions become oversaturated (which I highly doubt they ever will) then maybe they should consider another division/title.

I think the WWE should bring back the Women's, Cruiserweights, Light Heavyweight, Hardcore, European, ECW Heavyweight any other titles they previously had!!!!!!

I just noticed that we're still talking about stuff that's NOT pre-Attitude Era.

Ugh...

Wrestling existed before the Attitude Era?

On a serious note, the 1992 Royal Rumble is a great place to start.

Besides the 2011 Rumble, the 1992 Rumble has got to be my favorite of all time. Not only was it a huge buildup with a great payoff, but Bobby Heenan's reaction after Flair came out with the win was priceless. Just hearing that man completely freak out, repetitively screaming "YES! YES! YES!" is one of my all-time Heenan favorite moments. I wanna make that into a ringtone for my cell phone.

I miss The Ultimate Warrior's rambling promos. When he was all popular and what not when I was a kid I was just an uber Warrior mark. Now that I am an adult cynical fuck, they're comedic gold.

No one realized how ridiculous they were until the Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior came out. Christian's Warrior impression is fucking epic.

Sorry I'm late to the party. I don't know how I missed this thread.

Honestly, being that I lived through that era, wrestling was on a whole new wavelength back then. Gimmick characters were the norm and you basically were fans of what you were given. I can honestly say that as a young kid or an early teenager, as long as they were paired up with an interesting foe in their feuds, I viewed them as critical.

Perfect example: Wrestlemania 3 - Billy Jack Haynes vs. Hercules
No offense towards KB, but he reviewed this match last year. To put it lightly, he thought the match sucked out loud.

Now, I watched this match LIVE with my family and I can honestly say it was one of my favorite matches on the card. The reason being that I lived through its buildup. The "technical" aspect of the match didn't matter. This was a feud between two guys whose simple plot was that they were both trying to lay claim to the full nelson being their finishing maneuver. The buildup was short, yet great and the match was the exact payoff that we all expected. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and the double-countout finish had me craving more.

My point is that characters don't matter. It's the story that makes it exciting.

100% agree. I miss the days when the midcard guys got their own feuds and storylines that people cared about. This was a simple storyline between two midcard guys at the same level. In 1987 a simple story like who has the best full nelson was enough to make a compelling feud. Because this was the era of squash matches both guys always won and always looked good. They didn't wrestle each other twice on the weekly show before their ppv match. They weren't on a win/loss see-saw because most of the competition was equal. We became familiar with them through squash matches. They became popular or hated through squash matches. We learned their arsenal and which moves meant more than others through squash matches. By the time they wrestled each other we were invested enough into their characters to care about a match between two guys who always won. Billy Jack was popular. Hercules was hated. Both were proven winners. Finally it was time for each to step up to tougher competiton in each other so it mattered.

Random fact about the 1992 Rumble

It's talked about as a great rumble due to the star power involved. Guys from the past, present, and future, and guys who made their name in other promotions came together to try to win the vacant title. We had Hogan, Savage, Flair, Sid, Taker, Slaugher, Sheik, Von Erich, Michaels, Piper, among others in the rumble. Notice one big name missing? Bret Hart. Between WrestleMania 2 and WrestleMania 12 the 1992 Royal Rumble is the only ppv that Bret Hart missed.

No one realized how ridiculous they were until the Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior came out. Christian's Warrior impression is fucking epic.

You're right. It's because we was all little kiddies when he was the man and we didn't know any better.

Vince did a real good job of making us forget that the Warrrior even existed. When the DVD came out, he reminded us. By then, we were old enough to realize great humor.

And I totally agree Christian's version is priceless.

Random fact about the 1992 Rumble

It's talked about as a great rumble due to the star power involved. Guys from the past, present, and future, and guys who made their name in other promotions came together to try to win the vacant title. We had Hogan, Savage, Flair, Sid, Taker, Slaugher, Sheik, Von Erich, Michaels, Piper, among others in the rumble. Notice one big name missing? Bret Hart. Between WrestleMania 2 and WrestleMania 12 the 1992 Royal Rumble is the only ppv that Bret Hart missed.

Was he hurt at the time?

Was he hurt at the time?

hey there, still new to the site but i'm probably as old skool as anyone on here been 33 yrs old and watched since 1986!

No from what i know Bret wasnt hurt, he was in contract negotiations and had dropped the ic title a short time before the rumble to avoid having the belt on him when he left (sound familiar 97 montreal!)
If he hadnt been in this situation i think he may have defended against the mountie in an undercard match but would have loved to have seen him in the rumble match itself!

I just noticed that we're still talking about stuff that's NOT pre-Attitude Era.

Ugh...

My bad. Then let's bring back just the WWF Women's Tag Team Championship, WWF Canadian Championship, WWF International Tag Team Championship, WWF Junior Heavyweight Championship, WWF International Heavyweight Championship, and the WWF North American Heavyweight Championship.

Let's keep it old school when it comes to bringing back titles!

Sorry I'm late to the party. I don't know how I missed this thread.

100% agree. I miss the days when the midcard guys got their own feuds and storylines that people cared about. This was a simple storyline between two midcard guys at the same level. In 1987 a simple story like who has the best full nelson was enough to make a compelling feud. Because this was the era of squash matches both guys always won and always looked good. They didn't wrestle each other twice on the weekly show before their ppv match. They weren't on a win/loss see-saw because most of the competition was equal. We became familiar with them through squash matches. They became popular or hated through squash matches. We learned their arsenal and which moves meant more than others through squash matches. By the time they wrestled each other we were invested enough into their characters to care about a match between two guys who always won. Billy Jack was popular. Hercules was hated. Both were proven winners. Finally it was time for each to step up to tougher competiton in each other so it mattered.

Completly hit the nail on the head!
People cared because you had time to invest your feeleing in the build they received. Any this just doesnt happen now. U cant let someone sit in the lower card places losing week after week and then expect people to rally behind them.
Thats why squash matches were so important to character building. I very rarely find myself getting into todays product in the same way as i used to because win or lose doesnt really matter unless your the golden few that get stories and focus on you. Think about it, Big Zeke beats jobbers week after week and then starts beating upper card guys - slowly building a rep with the fans etc. Not a cookie cutter even fought match then lose then win then lose, lose, lose. Why would i or or anyone else buy into that? Vince needs the old story tellers to help build his "superstars" the old way and not tv writers!
Hope i didnt get off topic there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back