• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Official] Formula 1 2009 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what, I never thought of that. It would have been extremely interesting to see the result had the next race been Spa. If that has influenced the decision then it is a disgrace. Safety rules are the most important part of the sport. Other teams will start to think they can bend these rules too. Yes they need money but what they are saying here is it is acceptable to disregard rules if you have a big named driver in your team. Had it been Force India just before the British Grand Prix, they would have been banned and that would have been that.

I havn't been paying a lot of attention to the Alonso debacle in reccent Formula one news (I was kinda distracted by the Schumacher story) so I don't know much of the specifics, but did the team know before he left the pit that the tire wasn't attached properly?

In any case though I agree with the main points that you guys are making. Allowing a team to appeal and break a rule simply becuase it will help ticket sales isn't a precident the sport should really be following- especially with something as dangerous as a free flying tire. I know they have killed fans before and now as they don't make high fences any more the accident could have been much worse.

Not to hit people with Schumacher propaganda but it sorta reminds me of 1994 where he recieved a race ban after the car board was damaged even though it was clear that he had done it spinning on a chicane- all to try and make the championship tighter. Rules should be rules and applied as such. As the Todd says- it will just lead to everyone appealing rules.

Finally!!!

This has been a long time coming, but Kimi has won the Belgian Grand Prix, his first victory since Spain 2008 way back in April of that year and this is Ferrari's first victory of the 2009 season. I'm absolutely over the moon! :D

As for the race, it was a very interesting battle between Kimi and Fisi all race long, and Fisi did an unbelieveable job to keep up with Kimi. Infact for the most part Fisi was actually quicker... and looked for a while like he could jump Kimi in the pitstops. Sebastian drove well to finish third and thankfully for Jenson, Rubens' only scored 2 points so his championship lead is (I believe) 16 points now.

A fantastic race and an amazing result (for me anyway). :D

Yeah it was a good race, I really enjoyed it. The end result was fairly up in the air until the end. If it hadn't been for Vetel's bad start, or Alonso's wheel we could have had an even tighter finish. Good to see red on the top step again :) The question now is, who will Kimi's number two be in Monza? Surely Luca won't be back again in Italy, Italian nationality or not?

Fisichella.

If it's not Fisi, after all the rumors that have been flying around, and after his performance yesterday and this afternoon, it would be really, really harsh. It's any drivers dream to race for Ferrari at Monza infront of the Tifosi. It would be a very special moment for him. Badour needs to lose his second seat in the time, return to his test driving role and never show his face at a Grand Prix weekend again. Goodbye and good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

A fantastic race and an amazing result (for me anyway). :D

Yeah, for you anyway. Personally, the race was done and dusted after the safety car period. Yes Fisichella did well to keep up but he bever seriously threatened Kimi. The Fin knew if he was in trouble Kers would help him out.

As for Button and Hamilton, the one moment that completely ruined my interest in the race, it highlights the stupidity of not allowing new drivers to test. Grosjean and Alguersuari, yes they have shown they can drive a car, but they need experience of certain situations which they could have picked up from testing days with the rest of the cars. Grosjean was too naive and ruined Jenson's race, same with Alguersuari on Hamilton. Both Brits blameless, not that that will cheer them up.

Such a shame this season has detoriated from the start. No one team has been good enough to win the title. Everyone is far too inconsistent. Red Bull or Brawn will win both, and both teams aren't the form teams at all at the moment. Both teams could feasibly not have another win all season yet end up with the championship.

Well its a pity that the loss of two drivers would completely ruin your interest in the race. As I said I thought it was a very interesting and competitive race in which a lot of the points paying positions were up for grabs. We also saw a chance for some of the drivers from weaker teams showcase their talent. I am sure you weren't complaining when the same happened for Brawn this year :)

In any case I have to say that my interest in this championship has increased since the start. A truly open championship like this is rare to see and I am enjoying the prospect of more than one or two drivers being expected to win races. The only pity I think is that Button is so far ahead. If he had even 10 or 20 points less then Lewis and Kimi would also be in the mix for the championship which would make the end of the season very interesting. Even so we could even hit the final race with 4 drivers competing for the win :)

Yeah, for you anyway. Personally, the race was done and dusted after the safety car period. Yes Fisichella did well to keep up but he bever seriously threatened Kimi. The Fin knew if he was in trouble Kers would help him out.

As for Button and Hamilton, the one moment that completely ruined my interest in the race, it highlights the stupidity of not allowing new drivers to test. Grosjean and Alguersuari, yes they have shown they can drive a car, but they need experience of certain situations which they could have picked up from testing days with the rest of the cars. Grosjean was too naive and ruined Jenson's race, same with Alguersuari on Hamilton. Both Brits blameless, not that that will cheer them up.

Such a shame this season has detoriated from the start. No one team has been good enough to win the title. Everyone is far too inconsistent. Red Bull or Brawn will win both, and both teams aren't the form teams at all at the moment. Both teams could feasibly not have another win all season yet end up with the championship.

For a while it looked like Fisi could at least but Kimi under serious pressure and force him into a mistake. He got the gap down to .7 of a second at one point and was consistantly lapping at that pace.

As for the first lap incident, I'm sorry that Lewis and Jenson's retirements spoiled the race for you, look how I've felt all season practically, Ferrari absolutely no-where to be seen. You've gotta experience races like that to really enjoy it when it all comes together. That's why today is so special to me, because I've waited since last November for a Ferrari victory and it's the first time my favourite driver has won in 16 months.

And about no-one being good enough to win the world championship due to lack of consistance, I have to completely disagree with that. That's the beauty of this season, it's becoming very unpredictable every race, as you don't know who has it right for that certain weekend. Neither Brawn GP or Red Bull had it right this weekend (even though Vettel finished 3rd in the end), and that's going to make it even more crucial that both Brawn and Red Bull get it right for the rest of the season. Whoever wins this years world championship absolutely deserves it.

I am sure you weren't complaining when the same happened for Brawn this year :)
Nope they were a consistent team who were winning races and looking dangerous every week. They were having a very good rivalry with Red Bull which looked like lasting all season. Now, we have teams who are good in one or two races, then finishing last the next season. Yes this level playing field makes it "more unpredictable" but that isn't exciting to me. The best teams should be at the front easily, making the days they don't exciting days. Now the leading teams are struggling to make the top ten. You may find this exciting but I don't one bit.

The most entertaining days in recent F1 were the rivalries between Williams and Benetton and the one between McLaren and Ferrari. I thought we were getting one between Brawn and Red Bull. Funny how every single one of those has been Adrian Newey versus Ross Brawn. But yeah, this season is a but of a mish mash to me.

A truly open championship like this is rare to see and I am enjoying the prospect of more than one or two drivers being expected to win races.
That's the thing, it isn't really an open championship. if it was open all the way through the season and half the field were still in with a realistic shout then it would be more entertaining. As it is only four can realistically win. One has forgotten how to drive, two of them have won just the one race and the other has one engine to last him the rest of the season. Hardly world championship status.

The only pity I think is that Button is so far ahead. If he had even 10 or 20 points less then Lewis and Kimi would also be in the mix for the championship which would make the end of the season very interesting.
Yep, but as it is Lewis and Kimi are driving for damage limitation.

Even so we could even hit the final race with 4 drivers competing for the win :)

Which won't be as entertaining if the four of them are 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th.

For a while it looked like Fisi could at least but Kimi under serious pressure and force him into a mistake. He got the gap down to .7 of a second at one point and was consistantly lapping at that pace.
He was never going to risk the second place though. If you had anyone else in that situation they would have had a brave go at Kimi. Fisi was happy with second, which I don't like to see. Every driver should be wanting to win.

And about no-one being good enough to win the world championship due to lack of consistance, I have to completely disagree with that. That's the beauty of this season, it's becoming very unpredictable every race, as you don't know who has it right for that certain weekend.
But it's for the World Championship. Why should the smaller teams be within a second of the top teams, never mind beating them. Races where the underdogs score points or nick a podium are exciting, but they are happening every race.

Neither Brawn GP or Red Bull had it right this weekend (even though Vettel finished 3rd in the end), and that's going to make it even more crucial that both Brawn and Red Bull get it right for the rest of the season.
If they are racing for the World Championship their car should have been good enough to win most races, not just a few of them. Teams have either come into this season without the right car or have come in with an update that is not good enough to ruin the chances. Testing needs to be brought back so we see more consistency.

Whoever wins this years world championship absolutely deserves it.
Yes but say Button doesn't finish with any more podiums, he wins the world championship with no decent results in the second half of the season. This was one of the reasons I didn't want the medal system in place, but the points system does the same thing anyway.

So Lewis has taken pole of tomorrow's Italian Grand Prix at Monza. Big woop... The main headline from today is that Force India really have a competitive package now. Adrian Sutil had a serious chance of taking pole position before Lewis snatched it right at the last. Kimi will start third... good enough for me, I'm more than satisfied with that.

The big story surrounding Formula 1 right now is about Renault and their victory at last years Singapore Grand Prix. For anyone who dosen't know what is happening, I'll briefly fill you in:

Fernando make a very early stop (much earlier than anyone expected, around lap 9 or something I believe). Nelson Piquet was apparently ordered to crash on purpose on a certain section of the circuit which didn't have any cranes near it. This would mean that the safety car would need to be deployed untill the wreckage was cleared. Whilst everyone spilled into the pits, and Felipe basically lost the world championship by driving off with the fuel hose still attached, Fernando was able to take the lead and stay there.

Nelson provided a statement to the FIA who have called Renault into a hearing in Paris. Apparently the team have begun criminal proceedings towards Nelson (who Renault fired not long before the whole story was made public) and his father (who apparently encouraged his son to tell the FIA what had happened).

I personally think that theres to much evidence here that proves Renault are guilty. It all fits in perfectly and it makes perfect sense. This could so easily see Renault get the boot from the sport. Max Mosley has been quoted to say that "race fixing is worse than cheating".

It must be true, because making a claim you were told to crash a car on purpose is so ludicrous Piquet can't have made it up. And I doubt his Dad would be backing his story up if there wasn't proof as Piquet Sr is too respected to attempt a huge lie like this. It is not something I would put it past Briatore to do, though I do wonder why they got rid of Piquet if they knew this situation would come up.

I want to believe Alonso had nothing to do with it, but his history (the McLaren/Ferrari scandal) showed proof he was cheating. If it is found out that Piquet Jnr was told to crash on purpose then Renault should be chucked out, Briatore banned (won't happen due to his ties with Ecclestone) and anyone else involved to be banned from F1. Piquet should be punished too for going along with it, though him coming clean can spare him a lifetime ban.

As for today, Hamilton first with Button well ahead of the Red Bulls will do for me. Tomorrow is a race between Lewis and Kimi in my eyes, back to the good old McLaren/Ferrari tussles. Button and Barrichello will be racing each other of course; Ross Brawn will be praying they do not collide.

And we are down to two. Pretty much perfect weekend for Brawn, a nice one-two and their only challengers had a nightmare; Webber crashing out and Vettel making a mockery of comparisons between him and Schumacher wth an awful drive; Vettel isn't fit to clip Schumacher's toe nails never mind be his replacement in the F1 world.

The Grand Prix was made up of two different races that joined up at the end. Hamilton won his with Raikkonen and Sutil with ease, Brawn won theirs against Kovalainen and the Red Bulls even easier. Brawn's showed their dominance again and are now surely the only team involved in the title race.

Barrichello now trails Button by 16 points with four races to go, so four second places will be enough for Jenson. Barrichello needs victories and problems for his teammate.

Yeah I thought it was a pretty good race. Glad to hear at the end of it that Hamilton was ok- his crash into the wall looked fairly nasty. A pity Heiki completely dropped the ball as well- he has the one of the best oppertunities in the whole grid to win that race and he let it slip away- though in fairness the Brawns looked like they would have been tough to beat today. I wonder how the Force India will do on the street circuit of Shanghai? I would honestly be surprised if they are up there again. This is the season of highs and falls after all :p

So then, after all the drama this season we have possibly the biggest one. Renault have all but been found guilty of forcing Nelson Piquet Jr to crash so Fernando Alonso could win the Singapore Grand Prix. Briatore and Symonds have left Renault, meaning no real punishment can be given to Renault as they can now claim innocence.

You have to admit, the plan worked to perfection. It was brilliant on Symonda and Briatore's part. However, you can't cover up how disgusting this thing is. Asking a young driver to crash on purpose, and a crash bad enough to deploy the safety car is diabolical. Briatore and Symonds should never be allowed back in F1. Ever. Piquet will probably never get another drive for the trouble he has caused, but at least he uncovered this disgraceful tactic.

As for Renault and Alonso, they will probably go pretty blameless in this whole thing, and Alonso will get his move to Ferrari. Neither will be well received in Brazil though.

So then, after all the drama this season we have possibly the biggest one. Renault have all but been found guilty of forcing Nelson Piquet Jr to crash so Fernando Alonso could win the Singapore Grand Prix. Briatore and Symonds have left Renault, meaning no real punishment can be given to Renault as they can now claim innocence.

You have to admit, the plan worked to perfection. It was brilliant on Symonda and Briatore's part. However, you can't cover up how disgusting this thing is. Asking a young driver to crash on purpose, and a crash bad enough to deploy the safety car is diabolical. Briatore and Symonds should never be allowed back in F1. Ever. Piquet will probably never get another drive for the trouble he has caused, but at least he uncovered this disgraceful tactic.

As for Renault and Alonso, they will probably go pretty blameless in this whole thing, and Alonso will get his move to Ferrari. Neither will be well received in Brazil though.

I didn't think anything of it at the time. I just assumed that Piquet, being a rookie, just lost the back end on the exit of the corner he crashed on. But, your right, the plan worked perfectly. So well infact, that no-one really took any notice of it until Nelson stepped up and admitted to the FIA what happened.

You say that Piquet will probably get another drive because of this... but if you think about it, it wasen't Nelson's fault. He was given a direct order and when your in a situation like that, he had to do his job, no matter how bad it was. He's a talented young driver whos career has been shattered thanks to Flavio.

I was angry for how he treated Nelson and now I'm even more angry thanks to the whole crashgate situation. It's a disgrace and Flavio should never show his face at a Formula 1 event (of any kind) again in his life.

What an absolute idiot! Pat Symonds however will be missed in some respect but his reputation is recked as well.

You say that Piquet will probably get another drive because of this... but if you think about it, it wasen't Nelson's fault. He was given a direct order and when your in a situation like that, he had to do his job, no matter how bad it was. He's a talented young driver whos career has been shattered thanks to Flavio.
I believe he should get another shot as he has come forward and admitted it but I don't know whether other teams will view it like that. They will all feel cheated by Piquet. Some might think he should have come forward straight away instead of doing it. Personally, I'd give him a shot. just have to wait and see.

I was angry for how he treated Nelson and now I'm even more angry thanks to the whole crashgate situation. It's a disgrace and Flavio should never show his face at a Formula 1 event (of any kind) again in his life.

What an absolute idiot!
Agreed. Apparantly his role as majority shareholder at QPR is now under threat as he may fail the Football League's fit and proper test. And good riddance to him. He should be forever shamed.

Pat Symonds however will be missed in some respect but his reputation is recked as well.
There is no way back for him either. He has no excuse. Asking a driver to crash on purpose is simply awful. Never mind a Brazilian driver, whose country is still recovering from a crash like Piquet's which killed their most famous ever driver.

Fuckin' right on. Great racing for us Brits this weekend. Jenson is one step away from being the World Champion now. He could do it next week though he'll likely do it in Brazil. A British driver winning the world championships ahead of a Brazilian in Brazil? Where have I heard that before? Go on Jenson lad.

It is a right shame that Jenson has three challengers. Two of them have only won two races, the other has won just the one. How they hell does that equal a championship challenge? Neither of the three of them deserve it.

Hamilton himself now has two victories this season and he'll be the first to say he isn't deserving of being a World Champion. Today's race for him was perfect. No mistakes, everything timed to perfection and he was a comfortable winner.

Vettel, congratulations. Speeding in a pit lane? Amateur. There is no defence for this, he blew it, big time. Undeserving of a title challenge before this race, now he has no claim to one at all.

The right thing is happening in F1, the right man is going to win. Hopefully Jenson wins at least one of the following three to cement his claim to being the best. Oh, and one final thing, Adrian Sutil. When you passed your test I'm sure you were told to always look before pulling out at a junction, not drive into the side of oncoming traffic. The same rule applies to driving a race car when you have spun off. The complete clown ruined Heidfeld's long record. Hope he enjoys his $20,000 fine. He is lucky it wasn't worse.

First of all ROB get in here and keep the thread going. Due to our differing tastes this thread could be good! Also, I'm sure you are wanting to talk on this subject.

Ferrari have announced that Kimi Raikkonen will be leaving and will be replaced by two time World Champion Fernando Alonso. Good move or bad move?

There is no doubting Alonso's talents but there is a question of his temperament. He seemed happier at a small team as the number one driver rather than at a big team with equal billing. If he couldn't get on with a rookie at McLaren, how will he get on with Felipe Massa? A man who no one would begrudge winning a world title after his accident.

Alonso will be expecting a car to win the world title, but having an equal for a teammate has never worked for him. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

As for Raikkonen, hopefully he doesn't end u at McLaren, as they are much better off without him. He is not a dedicated team member and his clash of styles with Hamilton will not benefit the team. They should look to appoint Niko Rosberg if possible, a young, quick driver who will push Hamilton will be better than an over inflated ego. Yes, Kovalainen was meant to be the said young, talented driver, but he has choked in the big time.

There ar ebetter guys out there for McLaren than Raikkonen. Kubica or Heidfeld would make a much better driver, or even Timo Glock/Adrian Sutil. A German would keep Mercedes happy so any of the last three would be a sensible option. Just anyone but Raikkonen.

It was a good race on sunday and i'm hoping Jensons on form this weekend in Japan. I like Barrichello I've been a fan of his for a while so if he did come back and win it, I wouldn't be too bothered. However I'm obviously backing Jenson to win.

Vettel was so foolish, granted he is young but its F1 101 you dont speed in the pit lane. I feel sorry for Rosberg who got the drive through for crossing the white line, he just switched off and oversteered over the line. 2 incidents which made the GP more entertaining. Sutil's crash was so stupid, he could have caused a really bad accident and whatever punishment he gets is rightly deserved.

Ferrari have signed Alonso for next year replacing Kimi Rakkionen who will most likely be joining Mclaren. Is this a good move for Rakkionen? yes it is, I think he is very lucky to get a big drive for next year. I personally would have gone with Rosberg, this guy has a big career ahead of him and just needs a car thats good enough to win. Where does this leave Kovi? because IF Raikkonen decides to join Mclaren, I think he will struggle to get a drive for 2010 unless one of the newer teams decide to give him a chance.

Well I accidently found out the result before I watched, so that may be a factor, but today's race was the worst one of the season. The only action was a late safety car that made the closing few laps fun, for a change, but other than that an awful race.

As for the title, 3rd place in Brazil for Jenson and he has the title he deserves. Vettel has shown that if nobody puts pressure on him, he can drive a car properly without blowing up an engine or speeding in the pit lane. If Hamilton had pushed him, though, I bet he would have made a mistake. He only looks comfortable when he's leading.

Button to win it in Brazil, the second straight year a Brit in car number 23 will win the title ahead of a Brazilian in front of rival fans. Don't give us all heart attacks like Lewis did though, Jenson.

"Here is your winner... and NEW Formula 1 world champion... JENSON BUTTON!"

Finally, after 10 seasons in Formula 1, 2 years of frustration in an awful car and finally he's done it! I have been a fan of Jenson ever since he started. He scored his first points in Formula 1 on the very same track that 10 years later he would win the world championship on. He was incredible in the first half of the season, he was hit by a number of problems with his Brawn GP car, which all started at Silverstone. And, despite being called an unworthy world champion by a number of people, former F1 driver John Wotson being one them... but he's done it. Absolutely fantastic. I've been a fan of Jenson ever since he started. Ferrari is my love, but Jenson has always been my favourite non-Ferrari driver, ever since 2000.

Fucking get in there son. *raises glass* TO JENSON BUTTON!!!

:D:D:D

Brilliant race and the most deserving driver has won the World Championship.

Two years running a British driver has gone to Brazil and finished fifth to win the Championship and piss the Brazillians off. When Rooney, Lampard and Co. knock the overrated Brazillians out of the quarter finals of the World Cup (before going on to lose 4-0 to Spain) no Englishman will be safe in Brazil.

Jenson drove superbly today, and did more stunning overtakes today than either Vettel or Barrichello have done all season. He's won more races than the two put together. He is a far superior driver, and the best driver won.

Hopefully he gets a good car next year and we can have a Button/Hamilton championship battle. Hopefully Alonso ruins the harmony at Ferrari as he does everywhere else he goes.

Jenson Button. World Champion. Caps off the best weekend in a hell of a long time. Congratulations, Jenson. My first born will be named after you.

I have to agree he really drove fantastic today. He answered his critics with a champions drive and won the championship that he has deserved since Australlia. I have been a fan of Buttons all the way through his career (he's English I support anybody English) and I'm really pleased for him and Brawn to have won the championships. I really feel sorry for Rubens Barrichello though as he is another one who I have become a big fan of over the years. I hope Brawn keep the same line up for next year and Rubens gets another shot at the championship that I think he deserves for all his hard work.

As for the future, Alonso and Massa at Ferrari could be interesting both have big egos and will both want to be the number 1 driver so as Todd said there could be a big blow up there cos we all know how much Alonso likes to whinge. Button vs Hamilton next year sounds so tasty, but you cant count out Barrichello,Vettel,Webber,Raikkonen (wherever he ends up) it really looks like it will be a good future for F1.

What a fantastic race, to the first lap crashes to Kovalinen setting Raikkonen on fire to Buttons overtaking to Vettels fantastic drive to finish 4th and Rubens' unlucky streak continuing this race had it all. But overall it finally feels good to say Jenson Button - World Champion

Congrats to Jenson Button for winning the drivers championship. Has been the best driver all year without a shadow of a doubt and definately deserved the title.

Also well done to Aussie Mark Webber on his second race win this season. Has copped a bit of critiscm over this way in the past, but good to see what he can do when given a good car to work with.

Also must say it has been a refreshing year to have a few new teams up the top instead of the same old same old.

Yeah the winner of the race when someone else wins the Championship is never remembered. Webber is unfortunate only his second ever win happened in this way, but Button is getting all the headlines and rightly so.

As for Barrichello, the rumours are he is going to drive for Williams next year. Whether this means Rosberg is joining Brawn or McLaren remains to be seen. Well, first of all Brawn need to keep hold of Button. They have to deliver a competitive car or Button will be better off elsewhere. I'd love to have both him and Hamilton at McLaren, as they will probably have the best car next year along with Ferrari.

All of Red Bull's hopes rest on Adrian Newey designing another fantastic car. Without him the team would be mediocre. Whether he can put out a car that can compete with McLaren and Ferrari remain to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back