European Football Thread - 2009-10

Chelsea have just been banned from signing players in the next 2 transfer windows. The details are sketchy but that's official. More to come.

HUGE NEWS.

If only they hadn't already got a team that will win the league with ease this season and probably the Champions League too. It won't affect them much this season, in the summer it will annoy them. But for this year Lampard, Drogba and co will walk the title.

I'm unsure about how this will affect Chelsea altogether. I mean, it will annoy them over the next two transfer windows but, to be honest, their squad should be strong enough to compete this season. Saying that Chelsea will walk the title this year is not true. Arsenal look good at the minute and Man City look very good with Adebayor on fire. Chelsea do look lethal at the minute and the ruling really wont affect them this year. Come next summer though, with a lot of older players on the books, it could get messy. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

I think the problem is that if Chelsea suffer horrible injuries and they will need players, surely FIFA will have to do fair play on that? I mean it sucks abit for Chelsea but they have an old squad. But great for the rest of the league as they will have a window opportunity without Drogba and Essien by the winter period.

Also, I just read, Hull have signed Vennegoor of Hesselink! Great signing by Hull!

Saying that Chelsea will walk the title this year is not true. Arsenal look good at the minute and Man City look very good with Adebayor on fire.
I'll give you Arsenal look very good, but in the one big game they have had so far they looked brilliant but lacked a killer instinct. They lost a game they should have won, this tells me they are not experienced enough to win the title.

As for City, you really think they look very good? They were pushed to the limit by Wolves and Portsmouth, two teams who will struggle immensely this year. The fact they won by being so poor was impressive but I haven't seen anything yet to tell me they will be a top four side, never mind the champions.

United and Liverpool need to improve a hell of a lot to run Chelsea close. Chelsea were very good last year, and should have been in the Champions League final. This year they have the same team with the addition of Zhirkov, a fantastic left sided player. They don't have any real weaknesses and I fully expect them to win the league.

Chelsea do look lethal at the minute and the ruling really wont affect them this year. Come next summer though, with a lot of older players on the books, it could get messy. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Precisely. This year they are fine, next year they may be in trouble.

As for City, you really think they look very good? They were pushed to the limit by Wolves and Portsmouth, two teams who will struggle immensely this year. The fact they won by being so poor was impressive but I haven't seen anything yet to tell me they will be a top four side, never mind the champions.

They've looked very good in attack but are lacking that killer instinct that's required to be a top side. But they are producing attacks and more importantly, they look defensively sound for the first time in years. We've got around 5 or 6 new players inserted into the starting XI, so I'm hoping that as the season progresses, they continue to gel and find ways to win. Arsenal and the Scum next 2 league matches, so this will definitely give us a better idea as to whether or not we're the real deal.

And about the Chelsea transfer ban:

[youtube]nRjNBkKktlc[/youtube]

:lmao:

So Newcastle have a great start to the season, for the first time ever they won five league games in a row with a clean sheet in each game things are going great.

Then they get beat off Blackpool?! I guess it shows how well Blackpool are doing (they beat Wigan in the cup for example) and the fight we're going to have on the road. Another loan signing in, but with the lack of Strikers it's going to be a long haul.

OK I've decided to do something a little different as well as my usual Newcastle update. I'm going to give an award for random things each week. So first onto Newcastle.

Whilst not the best game of football, it was good to see a fight back with some tactical changes to win the game 3-1. Well done to Carroll who's scored two goals in a week where his daughter was born and he's been injured for 3 weeks. Kudos man. Also I'm getting more and more impressed with Alan Smith, he was lacking huge amounts on Wednesday but was fantastic yesterday and I was glad Butt didn't play, I just find him lacking somewhat.

So my award of the week....for being trues supporting heroes goes to...

Green Army!

0.jpg

Plymouth, bottom of the league, 800 mile round trip to St James' Park and they sold out the allocation. Not only that but they drowned out 46K Geordie's for a lot of the game.

Great work Plymouth fans, I hope your team picks up.

League Cup third round has been and gone, with no massive shocks really. I know most people disregard the cup but I am a fan of it. Seeing each club's respective young players is interesting and the cup is a great platform for the youngsters to shine. What I don't like is when teams play youngsters, but when they get to the semi-final they put the strongest players in. The players who got them there should play.

Anyway, the teams the Top Four all put out were good enough to survive in the Premier League, well, Liverpool's second string isn't great, which shows just how strong they are in their depth.

Thet being said, I fancy Aston Villa this season. Tottenham will be up there too, but O'Neill has a good record in this cup, winning it twice with Leicester. He looks like he is taking it seriously and it would be good for Agbonlahor, Milner and Young to experience winning trophies. Their first choice team is too strong for United and Arsenal's reserves should they meet later on.

As for the next round, Fergie jnr vs Fergie snr anyone? They are bound to face off one day so I'm hoping for this year.

Yes boys and girls, another week in football has occurred and I am here, once more to give you all of the results from the matches of my choosing and to round up what has been quite a busy term since my last post in here. We have had World Cup Qualifiers, Champions League openers and Domestic League thrillers. So welcome to another edition of the “Week in football” by Dave.

So, before I begin to round up all of the action that has happened since I posted in here last, I want to tell you why I haven’t been posting as much as I probably should be. The thing is, since my last post, a lot of things have been getting done in my life and more than that, a lot of new things have been taking up precious time on my expanding schedule. So much so that I really haven’t found the time to post here, or even in general on the forum. Nevertheless, I want to get back to some sort of posting routine and this is the place to start.

OK, with that out of the way, we can move on. The first things that I want to clear up are the World Cup qualifiers. Mixed fortunes for the British nations and I honestly can’t say that I am surprised.

uefa1.jpg

So, as you can see thanks to Wikipedia and my limited Paint package skills, most of the qualification process is done and some of the teams have already qualified. Of course, there are more groups than this but I only had the time to edit in the home nations. Sorry to any people in the Republic of Ireland but you are not a home nation and so not included. As we can see, England have done the best of the home nations by an absolute country mile. I honestly think that England will reach the last 4 of the competition next year if they can maintain their form. However, we all know what England are like when it come to choking, don’t we? Nevertheless, with Capello at the helm, England have a definite chance for glory next year and I wish them the best of luck. With a 100% record in the qualifying phase, they probably won’t need it though.

Moving on to the other nations who haven’t been as successful as England. Northern Ireland is the only other home nation that could qualify but even that is probably out of the question. Having played one more match than Slovenia, the chances of them qualifying are slim to none. The same can be said about Wales and Scotland, both of whom are already out of the competition. Obviously I am absolutely gutted about Scotland but I am not surprised in the slightest. Scotland are always getting in their own way and this is no different. Oh well!

Champions League Group Phase – Game 1

The results were as follows:

cl1.jpg

OK, so I want to cover the British teams more than anyone else but just like all the other ones, I will want to cover a couple of other matches. All around, it was not a bad day at the offices for the British teams. All of which achieving a good result in their ties. Chelsea picked up the win over a good Porto side in a match that I watched. I thought that it would have been a higher score line but it was not to be. At this point in the competition, I support all of the British teams, with one obvious exception. Speaking of, Rangers managed to get a 1-1 draw away at Stuttgart. I suppose this is semi-impressive although they still suck ass. Anyway, onto the other British teams. Liverpool won against Debrecen and I suppose it was nothing too unexpected there, although you would expect it to be more. Nevertheless, they picked up the win and that is all that counts really. Arsenal also won against Standard Liege after a good match. After that impressive showing against Celtic, I fully expect them to get through the group stage and go far in the competition. Man Utd also done well with a tricky win over Besiktas in Istanbul. A good match this was and Man Utd deserved their win in the end.

So after all of that, the British teams are doing as well as can be expected and will be looking forward to the next matches that they have.

English Premier League.

epl2.jpg

Good stuff! Let’s start at the very beginning, shall we? Manchester Utd vs. Manchester City. This match… Wow! This match was a great match from start to finish. I watched it in the gym and after a while, I just decided to sit on the rowing machine for 45 minutes and watch the second half after catching glimpses of the first half. Nevertheless, it was an amazing match that really showed that both Man City and Man Utd are going to be awesome contenders for the league title this year. The problem I see for Man City, is that Adebayor wasn’t playing and they did look a little worse off for it. Bellamy played awesomely and Tevez did his bit but Adebayor would have added a but more to the outfit and who knows, Man City could have won it with him. 4-3 is a great result for Man Utd that will really give them a boost in the coming weeks. It will be good to see what happens to City after this because no one knows how they will act.

Arsenal beat Wigan 4-0 in a match that can only be described as one sided. Wigan started this season so well and after a few results you see them lingering around the relegation places. Arsenal, on the other hand are moving up the league after a quite unsteady start to the season. They are beginning to show that they are going to be contenders for Europe this season. However, I really don’t think that they will be contenders for the title as the teams who occupy the places above them are playing infinitely better and more consistent than Arsenal are.

Another couple of good wins for Liverpool and Chelsea put them in with a good chance of putting their names to the championship this year. Chelsea are the only team left with a 100% win record. This compliments Portsmouth’s 100% loss record. With a 3-0 win over Tottenham, Chelsea have shown us that they are ready to stake their claim to the title. 3-0 over more than competent competition is a very good result and Chelsea really did deserve their win. Liverpool are doing well too and really did do a good job against West Ham. Torres is still showing us that he is a great player and will be the reason that Liverpool do well this season.

Portsmouth, on the other hand, are really struggling and are going to be relegated this season if they don’t get their shit together and soon. Getting beat by Aston Villa is not overly bad as Villa are a good team but Portsmouth look very, very poor. 0 points from 6 games is not a great start to the season and in my opinion, they will be relegated. Will they beat the record of having the least points in the Premier League Season? Probably not but maybe.

If it's ok with everyone, I'd like to start a new, weekly feature called:

Potato's Predictions

So the Friday before each Premiership weekend, I'll give my thoughts on each match, then some predictions as to what I think the scores will be. Feel free to add any thoughts you want to this, any improvements you think could be made to it and such. So without further ado, to the first match:

Birmingham vs. Bolton
These two sides will, in my view, be down there near the relegation area come the end of the season, particularly Bolton if Gary Megson is still in charge. Therefore, even at this early stage in the season, this has to be considered a six-pointer.
The Verdict: 2-1.

Blackburn vs. Aston Villa
Both these sides have very different aspirations this season, with Blackburn perfectly happy to stay up and Villa wanting to get into the Big Four. Blackburn will want at least a point, however I think Villa will have too much for them.
The Verdict: 0-2.

Fulham vs. Arsenal
Arsenal this season have been a team of two halves: amazing at attacking, yet sometimes catastrophic at the back. Fulham on the other hand are looking to be doing worse than last season, as a loss at Wolves last Sunday illustrated. It'll be tough for Fulham to get anything out of this game, even at home.
The Verdict: 0-3.

Liverpool vs. Hull City
Hull look to be under serious pressure, in particular their manger, Phil Brown. They were everyones favourites to go down this season, and on early showings, I'd be inclined to agree. Liverpool look to be steadying now after a shaky start, and at home should win with little difficulty.
The Verdict: 4-0.

Man City vs. West Ham
City will be hurting after their loss last week against United (get in!) and this can only be bad for West Ham, who under Zola, look destined to be where they've been for what seems like eternity: Mid-table. City should have too much for West Ham, who look like they rely too much on Carlton Cole.

Portsmouth vs. Everton
Six straight defeats for Portsmouth, and on paper, it looks like it could be seven against a far superior Everton side. This Portsmouth side need time to gel, and when they do, they'll come good. However, when they do will it be too late?
The Verdict: 0-1.

Stoke City vs.Man United
Stoke at home is an entirely different prospect than Stoke away, as United found out last season with a much more physical match than they were perhaps expecting. Sir Alex called the defining moment of our season. However, without Ronaldo, who was so good at breaking down these kind of teams, I fear United may struggle.
The Verdict: 1-1.

Sunderland vs. Wolves
Times are changing at Sunderland, Steve Vruce has made some very astute signings, most notably Darren Bent, and I think they could be the surprise package this season. Unlucky to lose at Burnley last week in contrast to Wolves who are on a high after beating Fulham.
The Verdict: 3-1.

Tottenham vs. Burnley
Burnley could be like Stoke this season. Formidable at home, yet strangely poor away. For Tottenham, this represents just what they would have wanted after disappointing defeats to United and Chelsea, and I see them winning comfortably in this match.

Wigan vs. Chelsea
I fear for Roberto Martinez as the first managerial casualty of the season. After a promising start against Villa, disappointment has followed, and a visit from an unbeaten Chelsea side would be just what Martinez didn't want. Chelsea look very good, and with Joe Cole and Yuri Zhirkov returning. expect them to get better.
The Verdict: 0-5.

Thanks for reading.

Following on from Couchpotato for those of you wanting a cheeky bet on this afternoons games there are plenty of money grabbing chances in the footbll league.

West Brom at home to Crystal Palace. West Brom are unbeaten and scoring for fun, Palace are inconsistent and offer no threat to the Baggies.

Blackpool at home to Peterborough. Blackpool are flying under Holloway and are unbeaten at home. Peterborough can't win away for toffee.

In League One the usual guarenteed success is Leeds, but they face a tricky trip to Milton Keynes so avoid that one for today.

Huddersfield at home to Stockport, as your best bet. The Terriers are brilliant at home and you can rely on them to score. Stockport are not much of a threat.

I also fancy Swindon Town to beat Wycombe today. Swindon have had a decent start to the season whilst Wanderers are struggling.

In League Two you have the bottom club in the league without a win away from home o Grimsby[/B] at home to Darlington is a guarentee. Hey, if I'm going to be miserable at losing, I may as well make money from it.

2 points clear at the top of the championship, 4 points clear of the playoff places. I was due to go to the game at Blackpool, typical that we lost.
Now the concern is Keegan Vs Ashley. Now I support Keegan, he was pushed out by a fucking moron but this isn't Keegan Vs Ashley, it's Keegan Vs Newcastle. If Keegan wins big, put simply, we're fucked, Keegan won't be be able to set foot in Newcastle again and the messiah will go from being one of the most loved men in football to public enemy No 3 (the first being Ashley, the 2nd being Wise)

Now the concern is Keegan Vs Ashley. Now I support Keegan, he was pushed out by a fucking moron but this isn't Keegan Vs Ashley, it's Keegan Vs Newcastle. If Keegan wins big, put simply, we're fucked, Keegan won't be be able to set foot in Newcastle again and the messiah will go from being one of the most loved men in football to public enemy No 3 (the first being Ashley, the 2nd being Wise)

With black and white blood in my veins I say this....

Kevin Keegan can fuck off, twice he's walked out on the club, he came in and knew Wise would be in charge of transfers, Ashley even cleared his debts from the soccer circus. Keegan then doesn't do too well and then leaves causing the club to go into disarray and we're still feeling the effects today. Whilst I feel Mike Ashley has been terrible for the club, King Kev is not the great manager that everyone up here makes out to be.

With black and white blood in my veins I say this....

Kevin Keegan can fuck off, twice he's walked out on the club, he came in and knew Wise would be in charge of transfers, Ashley even cleared his debts from the soccer circus. Keegan then doesn't do too well and then leaves causing the club to go into disarray and we're still feeling the effects today. Whilst I feel Mike Ashley has been terrible for the club, King Kev is not the great manager that everyone up here makes out to be.

Well said.

Great action this weekend, from Wigan humbling Chelsea, to Sunderland and Wolves' classic, not forgetting Darlo doubling their points tally but losing their manager.

Moment of the weekend, without a doubt, was the Sir Bobby Robson tribute at Portman Road. I was close to tears. Superb tribute, though it's a shame Ipswich fans couldn't sell the game out. As for the game itself, Newcastle continued to impress. Brilliant performance. Keano is under all sorts of pressure now.

I have to point out the pride I felt when I saw the tribute's from Newcastle, And Ipswich.

I also have to point out that a player Forest have on their books called Majewski will be a star, He has so much power, And technique for such a small player. He can fucking hit a ball as well.

Why as a Newcastle lad born, And bread would Keegan sue his boyhood team? They are in enough shit as it is, I would do ANYTHING to help my club prosper. He is nothing short of a cunt, In the same catogory as Dennis Wise himeself.

So, another weekend of football action has gone, and its time for...

Potato's Analysis

What I'm going to do now is offer my analysis on each Premiership match, followed bt my prediction and what the actual score was:

Birmingham vs. Bolton
This match was exactly what you would expect from a scrap between two teams likely to be in the bottom half for a lot of the season: fast-paced and very scrappy. That being said, there was some quality, namely Kevin Phillips' goal, however overall, Bolton had a touch more class, which could be less to do with Gary Megson's style of management and more to do with Alex Mcleish's unpopular 4-5-1 system. This is the kind of game that Birmingham need to be getting at least a point from, and the pressure is off Gary Megson, for now at least.

What I Said: 2-1. Actual Score: 1-2.

Blackburn vs. Aston Villa
On paper, this would always have looked like a tricky match for Villla, but a test which they would expext to come through. And when Gabriel Agbonlahor scored, it did indeed look like a routine win for Villa. However, they didn't bargain for the heart that Sam Allardyce has instilled in Blackburn finally shining through. It was a steely performance, and a win they probably deserved.

What I Said: 0-2. Actual Score: 2-1.

Fulham vs. Arsenal
This was Fulham's best performance of the season, and still they were not good enough to beat Arsenal, this was largely down to the efforts of Arsenals third coice keeper Vito Mannone however. Even though Arsenal won, there was still plenty for Wenger to reflect upon, not least how shaky his team look at the back. For Roy Hodgson, there will be other games, and they'll be OK in the end, not quite reaching the heights of last season, but safe.

What I Said: 0-3. Actual Score: 0-1.

Liverpool vs. Hull City
This was a game of two men. One, Fernando Torres, who reminded us all, as if we needed a reminder, that he is one of, if not the most devastating strikers in world football. And the other, Phil Brown, whos team looks on the verge of imploding. They have talent, but their defence is, at times, catastrophic, and a treat for a team such as Liverpool. Hull need to take a look at themselves, and although they would have expected to lose this match, the manner at which they did will be extremely disheartening to the fans.

What I Said: 0-4. Actual Score: 1-6.

Man City vs. West Ham
Tevez was the man for City last night, and what he did after scoring his first is the mark of a man who seems genuinely appreciative of the West Ham fans. Contrast that with the emotions of Adebayor after scoring against Arsenal. West Ham looked inventive, particulary Alessandro Diamanti on the wing. For the £24 million price tag, Joloeon Lescott looks as secure as a handbag in Birmingham, and this must worry Mark Hughes. Still this is exactly what they needed after losing to United, and their fans will go home happy.

What I Said: 2-1. Actual Score: 3-1.

Portsmouth vs. Everton
Portsmouth are in serious trouble it seems, and another defeat would suggest them relegation certainties already. However, the new look Portsmouth looked good, and were unlucky not to get a draw. However Everton are not the kind of games they should be winning, and Paul Hart should be encouraged by the performance. David Moyes must be impressed by the form of Louis Saha, who I believe would be one of the best strikers in the world were he not so injury prone.

What I Said: 0-1. Actual Score: 0-1.

Stoke City vs. Man United
A routine win from United, as they rarely looked in danger of conceding against a bizarrely underwhelming Stoke side, whos normally vocal support at the Britannia was slightly muted. However, the game belonged to one man: Ryan Giggs. How he still keeps playing at the standard he does is beyond me, and it was his replacement of the disappointing Nani that changed the game. For Stoke, there will be other games, and in the next few weeks, Portsmouth and Blackburn await. Both winnable games.

What I Said: 1-1. Actual Score: 0-2.

Sunderland vs. Wolves
What a game. This scoreline would be more likely for a Spanish league game. Two soft penalties were harsh on Wolves, who deserved at least a point from the game from their spirited fightback. The game belonged to the under-fire Kenwyne Jones, who scored a penalty and a great goal from outside the box. 5-2 flattered Wolves though, who will hurt from this loss.

What I Said: 3-1. Actual Score: 5-2.

Tottenham vs. Burnley
Terrific at home, yet shocking away, what is wrong with Burnley? Robbie Keane deserves all the praise he gets, yet he owes a lot to Burnley's woeful defending. Owen Coyle needs to alter his attack minded tactics away, as I think a more defensive approach would get more points for them, as they can't rely on their home form all season. This was just the game Tottenham needed after two poor losses, and maybe they can kickstart again.

What I Said: 4-0. Actual Score: 5-0.

Wigan vs. Chelsea
Without doubt the shock of the weekend. Almost everyone in the football world had this down as a comprehensive win for Chelsea, and Wigan really surprised many with their grit and determination. They were helped by the Cech red card, but I think Roberto Martinez answered a lot of his critics with that performance. Chelseas normally reliable defence was in disarray at times.

What I Said: 0-5. Actual Score: 3-1.

So, another weekend of football is amongst us, and it's time for more:

Potato's Predictions

Bolton vs. Tottenham
Interesting one is this, as Tottenham haven't won at the Reebok for something like 6 games in a row, and if they want to mount a serious top-six/four challenge, this is the sort of game they need to be winning. Likewise for Bolton, they realistically need to be getting at least a point from home games against these teams like Villa, Fulham, Spurs etc.

The Verdict: 1-2.

Burnley vs. Birmingham
Without a doubt Burnley's easiest game of the season so far, and with their formidable home form, it looks like Birmingham have a very tough trip ahead of them. However, it must be remembered that Birmingham were in the Championship last season with Burnley, and so are used to the atmosphere. A Burnley win should be expected though.

The Verdict: 2-0.

Hull City vs. Wigan
Quite simply, a must win for Phil Brown to have any chance of keeping his job. He undoubtedly has good players, it's just a question of him getting the best out of them. From the look of their season so far, Wigan are going to have a topsy-turvy season, with the 3-1 win last week over Chelsea, after going on a run of 5 straight defeats. This result should give us a better view of where Hull and Wigan are.

Wolves vs. Portsmouth
Another six-pointer, even at this early stage of the season. Wolves will be expecting a home win over a Portsmouth side that have been plunged from one crisis to another. Paul Hart has the worst job in the football world at the moment, trying to keep his players minds on the football and not on all the boardroom stuff. This will almost certainly play into Wolves' hands.

Man Utd vs. Sunderland
Interesting match between the two form teams of the Premiership in my opinion. Sunderland undoubtedly have striking talent, but their defense strikes me as a bit frail, as last weeks 5-2 win showed. If Steve Bruce wants to play both Kenwyne Jones and Darren Bent, then all power to him, but at Old Trafford, there needs to be more help for the defence. In the end I see United having too much for Sunderland, but Sunderland have more than enough ability to cause the United defence a few problems.

The Verdict: 3-1.

Arsenal vs. Blackburn
This is what should be an easy match for Arsenal coming off the back of three tough games (United, City, Fulham) and having home advantage over an inconsistent Blackburn team. However, it is well known that Arsenal have a problem with the way that teams such as Blackburn play, but at home Arsenal are very good and will take a lot of beating.

The Verdict: 4-1.

Everton vs. Stoke City
Everton must be strong favourites for this match, however Tony Pulis will want to make sure his team bounces back from the disappointment of losing 2-0 to United at home. This could be bad for Everton, but their strike force, particularly Louis Saha, is really hitting the spot right now. Also a chance for Stoke to show whether they have found a way to win away, something lacking last season.

West Ham vs. Fulham
Two sides that were tipped to do well this season have to recover from disappointing starts. West Ham find themselves in the relegation zone, however I believe that they won't be anywhere near there come the end of the season. Fulham, in my opinion won't do as well as last season, and Ro Hodgson needs to find a balance between doing well in Europe and the Premiership.

Chelsea vs. Liverpool
The big match of the weekend, and a key one for both teams to bounce back from disappointing performances; Chelsea from their loss to Wigan, Liverpool from their loss to Fiorentina. Chelsea will really miss Petr Cech in goal, however I see this as a relatively high-scoring draw.

The Verdict: 2-2.

Aston Villa vs. Man City
Aston Villa should be worried by this match, as the formidable City attack looks like its starting to gel and find its feet, with Roque Santa Cruz coming back from injury, and Robinho soon to. Aston Villa need to be getting something out of this to keep up their status as perennial top-six finishers.

The Verdict: 1-2.

Without a doubt the best football match I watched this weekend was Manchester United vs Sunderland. Chelsea were too good for Liverpool, Rangers Celtic was good without being a classic, and Darlington lost to the worst team in the football league (after Darlo, of course).

United vs Sunderland was a riveting Premier League match. It was played at 100mph, the way football should be played. The ref did stop and start a bit too much, maybe Sir Alex had a point after all?

Sunderland set their stall out EXACTLY the way to stifle United. Defend, and you get massacred. Attack with one striker, you get massacred. Attack with two up top supported by two hard working wingers and you get your reward.

They also pressed United, which took away the threat of Paul Scholes. He is only good when he has time to pick a pass. They didn't let Wayne Rooney have the ball into feet, and they certainly didn't let him run at them. Result? Rooney acts like a child and disappears. Sunderland also let Nani have as much of the ball as he likes. The only player who comes close in the whole League to being as bad as him is Lucas Leiva.

Sunderland were brilliant and they have shown every other side how to get something from Old Trafford. Their one mistake was sitting too deep in stoppage time, and United will find a way through. United may still win the League, Sunderland will certainly finish in the top half.

Massive, massive news people. Former Republic of Ireland player and manager and former Aston Villa legend Steve Staunton has took up the managerial reigns at Britain's top club, if you turn the enture Football League upside down.

Staunton comes to Darlington to try and cut his teeth managerially after relative failure as Ireland boss and as assistant manager at Leeds.

He joins a club with two points, no players, no fans and looking like relegation certainties. Good luck fella.

We have Leeds this week in the Johnstone Paint's. Nice easy start for him then. After we get revenge for our Carling Cup defeat he will take us on a 35 match unbeaten run which will see us clinch the title on the last day of the season. Right?

Massive, massive news people. Former Republic of Ireland player and manager and former Aston Villa legend Steve Staunton has took up the managerial reigns at Britain's top club, if you turn the enture Football League upside down.

Staunton comes to Darlington to try and cut his teeth managerially after relative failure as Ireland boss and as assistant manager at Leeds.

He joins a club with two points, no players, no fans and looking like relegation certainties. Good luck fella.

We have Leeds this week in the Johnstone Paint's. Nice easy start for him then. After we get revenge for our Carling Cup defeat he will take us on a 35 match unbeaten run which will see us clinch the title on the last day of the season. Right?

Why why why why why why why why why. Why appoint an awful manager to an awful team. Unfortunatly Pebs I think your on your way out of the football league. Who knows maybe he can prove himself here and turn your season around. It doesnt start tonight though. I'm sure our reserves should easily beat your team without any trouble.

Yup, without a doubt. We are beyond doomed. I am told you have an unproven South African starting his first game tonight, am I right? He'll probably get a hat-trick.

It can't get any worse for Darlo, Staunton is a gamble but we need to take gambles. I'd rather we risked everything to survive than meekly accepted our fate.

Yeah Davide Somma, hes on the bench and im looking forward to seeing what he can do in the second half. 2-0 at the moment to Leeds. You can tell its bad when Tresor Kandol scores past you. Plus if thinks go really bad for Leeds we have Jermaine Beckford on the bench.

I suppose your right at least you are taking some steps instead of just accepting it. I just dont think Staunton will amount to anything.

Yeah Davide Somma, hes on the bench and im looking forward to seeing what he can do in the second half. 2-0 at the moment to Leeds. You can tell its bad when Tresor Kandol scores past you. Plus if thinks go really bad for Leeds we have Jermaine Beckford on the bench.

I suppose your right at least you are taking some steps instead of just accepting it. I just dont think Staunton will amount to anything.

Meh. 2-1 isn't a disgrace. We were outplayed but we weren't embarrassed.

We really could do with a win. I don't care how we get one, we just need one. We could also do with another couple of thousand at our home games. Isn't going to happen though.

I remember having Tresor Kandol at Darlo, we loved him for the short time we had him. Shame we didn't keep him on longer. He's much more effective at our level than yours.

It is typical how Leeds remember to win again the game I don't have money on them.

Two sad, lonely weeks have passed since the last Premier League weekend, but now its back with a vengeance, and on Sunday, possibly the biggest derby match in Britain, if not the world.

Here we go then:

Potato's Predictions

Aston Villa vs Chelsea.
This should be a fairly even match, as Aston Villa have looked strong at home, and Chelsea's only defeat coming away. Both teams are injury free from from the international break, and this should work in Chelsea's favour, as they have the strongest players. Gabriel Agbonlahor will want to impress Capello, as will all England strikers.

Arsenal vs Birmingham.
Easy win for Arsenal. Unlike last match against Blackburn when they were surprised by the aerial threat of Rovers, Birmingham have no such threat, and struggle to score goals away from home, and at home as well. Christian Benitez, City's best player so far, hasn't returned from Chile as he missed his flight. Pathetic if you ask me. Can't see further than an Arsenal win here.

Everton vs Wolves.
Should be a comfortable win, although Wolves have more than enough quality to cause Everton's weakened defence some problems. It should be tighter than you may think.

Man United vs Bolton.
After last matches disappointment against Sunderland, United will want to bounce back, and this is the perfect match to do it in. However, they'll have to do it without Rooney, who got injured against Ukraine, and possibly Berbatov, who may fly home to Bulgaria to see the birth of his first child. Edwin van der Sar should come back, as should Michael Owen. Bolton will feel that they will need to spend the majority of the time defending.

Portsmouth vs Tottenham.
The (heroic?) return of Harry Redknapp to Fratton Park, where he enjoyed a very successful time as manager, winning the FA Cup in 2008. The main question in this match is whether Redkanpp gets booed or not. On the pitch, Spurs should have too much for a weak Portsmouth side who were lucky to win at Wolves.

The Verdict: 0-1.

Stoke City vs West Ham.
If Stoke are going to establish themsleves as a Premiership team, then this the kind of match they need to be winning. With their formidable home form they are a match for anyone, especially for a West Ham side who have been struggling so far, and I don't see it changing for them today.

Sunderland vs Liverpool.
Here is the chance to prove the critics that Liverpool aren't just a two man team, as Gerrard and Torres are both injured. Purely because of this, Sunderland can't hope for a better chance at beating Liverpool. After coming so close to beating United, Steve Bruce will want his team to go one better against one of the Big Four.

The Verdict: 3-2.

Blackburn vs Burnley.
THE BIG ONE. As I live very close to both Blackburn and Burnley, and go to a school where most people support Blackburn or Burnley, this is huge in this area. I've heard some say that this won't be a match, it'll be a war when occasionally a ball will be kicked, but thats an exaggeration. I think. I do think there'll be at least one red card though, with Blackbrn running out overall winners.

Wigan vs Man City.
Wigan have showed to be a bit of an inconsistency so far, and will want to rpove themselves against City. City will want to win this to keep up the challenge for the Big Four.

The Verdict: 1-3.

Fulham vs Hull City.
Hull have Jimmy Bullard coming back for this match, and that'll make a huge difference to them. Fulham will still be too much for them though.

So I'm going to continue with the League One Reviews starting with the games next week. I did plan to do them all season long but personal life has thrown some curveballs at me and obviously that comes first.

Leeds remain the only unbeaten team in all of the English leagues after a hard fought game against Norwich thanks to this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8306388.stm

Leeds didnt look particularly strong in the game and Norwich probably deserved the win. But 2 points clear with a game in hand against Bristol Rovers means Leeds are in a commanding position as they entered the Bogey month that is October.

Charlton remain in second but have stuttered in recent weeks due to a few draws. They do look a dangerous side and if anybody will challenge Leeds for league One champions it looks to be them. Jon Joe Shelvey is an amazing talent and with Deon Burton still banging the goals in they are still a threat to anybody.

MK Dons have been on a role, Ince seems to know how this team works, and in his second spell there has yet again molded them into a strong side. They have a few tough games coming up against Southampton,Bristol Rovers and Charlton though so they will need to take a few points of them if they want to continue to be in with a shout of Automatic Promotion.

Colchester have also hit form they have not lost in the league since Leeds beat them back in August. Kayode Odejayi has hit some goals in the last few games and seems to be forming a formidable partnership with Kevin Lisbie. They are one of the suprise teams as I doubt anybody had them pegged to be this strong so far in the season.

Bristol Rovers have some tough games coming up most notable are the games against MK Dons and Leeds. They have had a good start to the season when many thought that they would not do anything after selling last seasons top scorer Rickie Lambert to Southampton. Still they have persisted and have won important games to be were they currently are but with Huddersfield and Millwall hitting form they (along with Norwich) need to watch out otherwise they could be slipping out of the playoff spots.

Finally in this stint I will talk about 6th placed Norwich. They were dreadfully unlucky not to get at least a point at Elland Road on Monday night (Thank you Forster :D) but if they carry on playing like that then they could be pushing for the autos come the end of the season. Paul Lambert has really changed the club around considering how awful they were on the opening day of the season and with Grant Holt in goal scoring form backed up by Wes Hoolahan they have a strong offensive line. But they like Bristol have some decent teams chomping at their heels wanting to get into the playoff places.

Its still very early days though

Games to watch out for this week

3rd vs 2nd bottom
MK Dons vs Southampton
Southampton maybe second bottom but only because they have had a 10 point penalty. Without that penalty they would be at least in the playoff places. Nevertheless this should be a fantastic game. Both teams have strong squads but I feel this will come down to the strikers and in a big game there is only 1 name I can think of and that is Rickie Lambert.

My Predicition
MK Dons 1-2 Southampton

Millwall Vs Leeds United
I'm picking this not just because I am a Leeds fan nor because Leeds are top. I am picking this because the Rivalry these teams have had in recent years has been crazy. When people think of these two teams they think Hooliganism and I wouldnt be suprised to hear about incidents of this nature before, during and after the game. As for the game itself Leeds will want revenge for Millwall knocking Leeds out of the playoffs last season. It will be a fantastic encounter, lots of fouls, lots of bookings and hopefully a few goals (preferably to Leeds) I am concerned about this game though as Millwall are looking really good at the moment.

My Predicition
Millwall 1-1 Leeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back