[Official] Disco Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, no matter how many times gg and sly speak the truth, people still wanna go with the negative, narrow-minded point of view. It just goes to show how ignorent wrestling fans have become over the years.

I wish we had guys like Glen and Slyfox on the IMDb wrestling board to put all the misinformed idiots in check.

There's a difference in mindnumbingly pointless segments and entertainment. It's alright to have nonwrestling segments from time to time if they are to build up a feud or something of relevance. You gotta feel bad for Christopher Daniels being Curry Man while AJ is in the main event as I have always found him to be just as talented as AJ. I do find Curry Man's music to be catchy but that's the only thing about him that I find the least bit interesting. If you guys can't seem to watch TNA without thinking about vomiting, do what I do, stick with WWE and don't watch TNA. Atleast with WWE, it's something you've been watching since you were a kid and it's more tolerable to deal with than something relatively new like TNA. I say that for the people who need a wrestling fix who find it hard to just turn everything off.

You can't hold against TNA an imaginary wrestling audience that is not there these days. That's simply ridiculous to do.

Maybe they would be there if wrestling shows, such as TNA Impact, held the same quality and entertainment as they did when those fans were watching. They didn't disappear off the face of the earth, they're merely not interested in what's being offered right now.

It says your opinion on quality is quite skewed and unreliable. Ring of Honor is atrocious, and the only people who "like" Ring of Honor do so simply because it makes them think they are better wrestling fans, not because they actually enjoy the product more.

Who are you to tell me my opinion's are skewed and unreliable? That's a purely ignorant comment. Perhaps your opinion is skewed and unreliable because you seem fine with the wrestling that is being given to us currently by products like TNA, which all those "imaginary wrestling" fans who are no longer watching are not fine with because they're not watching wrestling anymore. And the stereotypes about Ring of Honor fans are as ignorant as the stereotypes about Vince Russo, etc. I'm not a huge fan of Ring of Honor at all, but I do enjoy some of the talent and the things they do, just as I enjoy some of the talent TNA has. I don't think I'm a better wrestling fan then anyone, I have my views and I have my tastes just as you do. You telling me my opinion is skewed and unreliable, as if your opinion on what quality wrestling is is "fact" and "right" makes your entire argument devoid of any credibility.

Yeah...and I guess it was just a coincidence they had all the biggest draws in wrestling history on the same show, AND the most revolutionary angle in wrestling history, all at the same time. Coincidence...right?

Actually, you obviously missed when I said that they went from 2's to 3's in their first year.. as the nWo angle didn't begin until the middle of 1996 which was a year and a half later. They were in the 3's when the nWo began. Sure, they had some of the biggest draws in wrestling history but it was also because of the amazing and revolutionary Cruiserweight division they had, a strong mid-card that set up to the main events. People seem to forget the entire product has to be good, not just the top draws, and that's something TNA can learn from and improve, is it not? Especially since even their main events aren't bringing in ratings. But people are too busy making excuses instead of learning and improving by looking at the past successes and mistakes of those before them.

Dammit Glenn i reeeeeaally want to hate you, but you make it difficult, you're absolutely right man, i can fault you on little and im sure it is annoying to have hundreds of people claiming to know it all and tell you that your company aint shit.

Your point about being compared to WWE is very true, it would be like me starting a basketball league tomorrow and expecting to be bigger than the NBA within 6 years. The WWE has decades of heritage behind it, even WCW was around longer than TNA before it could compete and they had a faaaar bigger budget and a better spot than TNA do. Wrestling in general has dipped in terms of a global interest, WWE was doing nearly double what it is now years ago i believe (someone can confirm or correct me on that) so a million viewers a week isnt something to be mocked.

I hope TNA doesnt ever go away because it caters to something WWE doesnt give me, forgive me for wanting matches like the Unbreakable Triple Threat every few PPVs, i dont ask this of the company every week, and generally Impact matches are better than Raw/ECW/SD ones, but i personally dont care for Shark Boy, Curry-Man or Karen Angle, if people out there are liking it, go ahead, make the company succeed, make them bigger.

I think Slyfox said something about ROH being atrocious and people only liking it to make them feel like better wrestling fans. I think there are elements of truth to this. You hear about ROH and all these top level matches that they have put on and you feel like you should like it but when you do watch it, you dont feel sucked in, you have to really sit yourself down to watch it. A buddy of mine leant me three DVDs and i have watched them all, but there were certain parts i had to really try my best to get through. Then again there are some matches and talents that are genuinely incredible, Nigel McGuiness and Bryan Danielson bore me, Austin Aries and Delirious entertain me. I also like the Briscoe Brothers and think they could draw in a big company.

HOWEVER... A friend of mine is a life-long WWE guy, and TNA was like this to him. I tell him about how good AJ Styles and Samoa Joe are and he feels like he should be watching them, but when he tunes in and sees some of stuff he doesnt like it. He has enjoyed a few choice matches i've shown him but in general he cant get into it like he can WWE.

I feel this is a good assessment of ROH. Bits and pieces are worth checking out but on the whole it doesnt even compare to the top two companies.

Maybe they would be there if wrestling shows, such as TNA Impact, held the same quality and entertainment as they did when those fans were watching. They didn't disappear off the face of the earth, they're merely not interested in what's being offered right now.
See, that's the mistake so many people make. Those fans AREN'T there anymore. Wrestling has ALWAYS traditionally lost fans from the ages of 20-25. Wrestling's target audience has always been under the age of 25. Those fans from ten years ago are NOT there anymore. You can't get back fans that don't want to be fans anymore.

Who are you to tell me my opinion's are skewed and unreliable?
Slyfox696. That's who I am.

That's a purely ignorant comment. Perhaps your opinion is skewed and unreliable because you seem fine with the wrestling that is being given to us currently by products like TNA, which all those "imaginary wrestling" fans who are no longer watching are not fine with because they're not watching wrestling anymore.
How is my opinion skewed when TNA is far more enjoyable than ROH? And that's not just my opinion, that's the opinion of many more wrestling fans. How do I know this? Because TNA is on national TV with monthly live PPVs, and ROH gets 36 Canadian PPV buys for one of their shows, which is the reason carriers dropped them in Canada.

How do I know TNA is more entertaining? Because more people are entertained by it. How do I know more people are entertained by it? Because more people want to watch it.

And the stereotypes about Ring of Honor fans are as ignorant as the stereotypes about Vince Russo, etc. I'm not a huge fan of Ring of Honor at all, but I do enjoy some of the talent and the things they do, just as I enjoy some of the talent TNA has. I don't think I'm a better wrestling fan then anyone, I have my views and I have my tastes just as you do.
No, the stereotypes about the fans of Ring of Honor are quite true. Watch any ROH show, and at any given show, you'll find no less than 80% of the fans who consider themselves "smart" to the business, and desperately want everyone else to think they are "smart".

You telling me my opinion is skewed and unreliable, as if your opinion on what quality wrestling is is "fact" and "right" makes your entire argument devoid of any credibility.
Not really. Because viewership supports my statement. The only thing you can base your statement on is your personal preference. And if you want to talk about devoid of credibility, let's start when someone tries to say the product that fewer people watch and care about is more entertaining than the product that is on national television and doing monthly live PPVs.

Actually, you obviously missed when I said that they went from 2's to 3's in their first year.. as the nWo angle didn't begin until the middle of 1996 which was a year and a half later. They were in the 3's when the nWo began.
AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You're not too up on your facts, are you?

WCW Monday Nitro debuted September 4, 1995. Scott Hall first appeared on the Memorial Day episode of WCW Nitro in 1996, which was on May 27. Hogan joined the group, and formed the nWo at the Bash at the Beach PPV, which was on July 7th. Hollywood Hogan won the WCW title from The Giant at the Hog Wild PPV, which was August 10.

The ratings for WCW didn't begin to start consistently hitting the 3s until June 17th, AFTER the debut of Hall and Nash.

Your comment is completely ill-informed and just plain wrong.

Sure, they had some of the biggest draws in wrestling history but it was also because of the amazing and revolutionary Cruiserweight division they had, a strong mid-card that set up to the main events.
Wrestling doesn't draw on the undercard, and never has.

People seem to forget the entire product has to be good, not just the top draws, and that's something TNA can learn from and improve, is it not? Especially since even their main events aren't bringing in ratings. But people are too busy making excuses instead of learning and improving by looking at the past successes and mistakes of those before them.
And the Attitude Era completely blows your statement out of the water. In 1998 and 1999, the WWF sucked hardcore, outside of the main-event scene. You had Goldust running around like a BDSM freak, D'Lo Brown buying tampons for PMS, a vampire drinking blood, a group who literally called themselves the job squad, and a whole host of other garbage. The only reason Attitude Era was successful was because Austin and The Rock led the main-event scene and were damn entertaining.

I think Slyfox said something about ROH being atrocious and people only liking it to make them feel like better wrestling fans. I think there are elements of truth to this. You hear about ROH and all these top level matches that they have put on and you feel like you should like it but when you do watch it, you dont feel sucked in, you have to really sit yourself down to watch it. A buddy of mine leant me three DVDs and i have watched them all, but there were certain parts i had to really try my best to get through. Then again there are some matches and talents that are genuinely incredible, Nigel McGuiness and Bryan Danielson bore me, Austin Aries and Delirious entertain me. I also like the Briscoe Brothers and think they could draw in a big company.

HOWEVER... A friend of mine is a life-long WWE guy, and TNA was like this to him. I tell him about how good AJ Styles and Samoa Joe are and he feels like he should be watching them, but when he tunes in and sees some of stuff he doesnt like it. He has enjoyed a few choice matches i've shown him but in general he cant get into it like he can WWE.

I feel this is a good assessment of ROH. Bits and pieces are worth checking out but on the whole it doesnt even compare to the top two companies.

I do feel the need to point out that AJ Styles and Samoe Joe both came from Ring of Honor and I think any great match they've had in TNA can be rivaled by one of their matches in Ring of Honor. The Briscoes are just flashy move after flashy move, they'd need some serious fine tuning in my mind to be really good in a bigger promotion.

I do feel the need to point out that AJ Styles and Samoe Joe both came from Ring of Honor and I think any great match they've had in TNA can be rivaled by one of their matches in Ring of Honor. The Briscoes are just flashy move after flashy move, they'd need some serious fine tuning in my mind to be really good in a bigger promotion.
And I feel the need to point out to you that AJ Styles was working in TNA from Day 1, and was working in WCW long before he was working in ROH. Also, I would like to point out to you that Samoa Joe may have caught TNA's attention in ROH, but it was TNA that made him a wrestling name, not ROH.

No i know they both came from ROH, and probably some tiny company before that, but, these are 2 of the names you associate with TNA, i really havent seen enough ROH to comment about the quality of matches, it's hard to keep up with in the UK where the DVDs arent readily available in every shop. I'd be willing to watch a match with Joe or Styles in ROH to have this point proved to me, but i personally know them from their work in TNA.

The Briscoes do use a lot of flashy moves and do need fine tuning, but they have a look, and on a fundamental level can wrestle. I truly believe a true TEAM draws more than a random pairing, and the fact they have such an arsenal of tag team moves that TNA and WWE fans have never seen before gives them something that could be run with. The whole MAN UP thing is merchandise waiting to happen really.

I think the best thing about a wrestler who comes from ROH is they have a very large moveset that can be finetuned down to a small, solid one that sells in TNA or WWE rather than a bodybuilder who can only do five or six moves. I think a refined moveset is more entertaining than a match that contains 100 moves, there are times in ROH where i question why a wrestler is kicking out of these massive moves when we would accept them losing to one of them, i feel they try too hard.

I happened to enjoy watching Val Venis matches and other mid card matches during the Attitude Era. The World Tag Title and the Intercontinental Title matches were pretty damn entertaining. The Brood kicked ass too. Everybody I know marked for the blood baths. You can't forget about the APA. The whole card in the attitude era was stacked. Pretty much every guy got a reaction.

Props to SlyFox for using logic and sound argument to make the strongest points. He nailed it. Sadly, no matter how effectively he debates, few people on the Internet have the decency to engage with an alternative viewpoint.

TNA is and has been fighting a problem with perception. WCW had the same problem. It seems that any big company that dare try to show a level of ambition is targeted by the WWE zealots. Basically, there are a lot of people who don't want TNA to succeed. The way the wrestling media generally report about TNA is slanted and unfair. It's so transparent.

So, TNA is battling all these perceptions. The media choose to focus on and exaggerate TNA's flaws - the "horrible morale", the "terrible buyrates" etc. They also want to characterize TNA as a clueless company, rather than a progressive company which (like EVERY company) has made some mistakes in its short life. A company which has grown as much as TNA in six years cannot be clueless. They have made great strides but, rather than acknowledging that, the critics try to paint this gloomy picture of a failing company.

I would guess that most of the online critics just jump on the anti-TNA bandwagon because it's easier to do that than to use your own judgment. There doesn't seem to be a lot of original thought online. There are so many regurgitated opinions. If Meltzer was spinning TNA in positive ways and highlighting the positives, I'm confident a lot of the sheep would be echoing the same sentiments.

It takes courage to defend your enjoyment of TNA online! In doing so, I've encountered some vitriol, had my intelligence and honesty questioned and basically been called all sorts of names. For admitting I like a wrestling product?! Strangely, I know a lot of people IN THE REAL WORLD who really do enjoy TNA. Online, it's becoming the equivalent of admitting you like to cross-dress!

Ultimately, there's too much negativity online generally. Internet fans are often the most crticial and DON'T necessarily reflect the views of the casual viewers. That's why they are often ridiculed.

Honestly, I've watched some incredible movies and TV shows, yet when I check some reviews online there's at least one guy complaining (in the most negative way possible) about how much it "sucked" and how the writer is a "stupid hack!!" etc etc. The Internet is a terrific resource, but in some places it has attracted geeky losers who just want to vent their frustrations which, deep down, have nothing to do with the product they are reviewing and more to do with their own life frustrations!

I dont think the attitude era mid-card was neccessarily better, it was just more clearcut, i think WWF employed more guys than WWE does.... well... it probably seemed it due to the lack of three brands. If you look at an individual brand, let's take Raw, the mid-card at present is Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Umaga, Mr Kennedy, Carlito (when he isnt tagging) and below them is Snitsky, Paul Burchill, Val Venis etc.

The three brands concept is just spreading the WWE talents very thinly, they have two hours to sell you a championship feud, a secondary main event feud, a tag team feud, a women's feud, an IC/US feud, something comedic and then whatever is left. Back in the day they had four hours a week to do the same thing and you could have a guy appear every four shows but stay on the radar who these days wouldnt ever get on the main broadcasts. I think they do a surprisingly good job of getting across all these different talents on each show.

How is my opinion skewed when TNA is far more enjoyable than ROH? And that's not just my opinion, that's the opinion of many more wrestling fans. How do I know this? Because TNA is on national TV with monthly live PPVs, and ROH gets 36 Canadian PPV buys for one of their shows, which is the reason carriers dropped them in Canada.

How do I know TNA is more entertaining? Because more people are entertained by it. How do I know more people are entertained by it? Because more people want to watch it.

Seriously, you're an idiot, I have to say. You try to make an argument before about how you can't compare TNA to WWE or WCW, because they're entirely different entities who are on entirely different levels. Then you go on to try to compare TNA to Ring of Honor to prove a point? Hypocrit. TNA's a nationally televised company, with a big business financing them, with huge stars compared to Ring of Honor. What's your point? Ring of Honor doesn't have any huge stars, and their main stars were stolen by TNA who have used them for their own success.. what's your point? TNA banned their talent from performing on Ring of Honor once Ring of Honor got a ppv deal, why do you think that is? Your logic's flawed.

No, the stereotypes about the fans of Ring of Honor are quite true. Watch any ROH show, and at any given show, you'll find no less than 80% of the fans who consider themselves "smart" to the business, and desperately want everyone else to think they are "smart".

Oh, you mean like the fans in TNA that do the same?

And the Attitude Era completely blows your statement out of the water. In 1998 and 1999, the WWF sucked hardcore, outside of the main-event scene. You had Goldust running around like a BDSM freak, D'Lo Brown buying tampons for PMS, a vampire drinking blood, a group who literally called themselves the job squad, and a whole host of other garbage. The only reason Attitude Era was successful was because Austin and The Rock led the main-event scene and were damn entertaining.

Are you kidding me? You just proved to me how completely devoid of any intelligence I was actually thinking you did have. You almost had me there. The Attitude Era only had Austin and the Rock?... not the Undertaker, Mankind, Kane, DeGeneration X (that would be Triple H, Shawn Michaels and even the New Age Outlaws back in their day), Edge & Christian, the Hardyz, the Dudley Boyz, Kurt Angle.. nor eventually Chris Jericho, Big Show, all of the Radicalz. Good job.

WCW was so strong in their hayday, not only because of the nWo but because they had guys like Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, all the Mexican wrestlers, putting on unbelievable matches in the mid-cards to lead up to the main event draws. Why do you think WCW started to deterorate and continued to when the nWo storyline eventually got stale and died and all those great draws like Hulk Hogan were still there, but all that mid-card talent had left and went to the WWF? The WWF just got better and better with the mid-card talent WCW wasted.

A good wrestling product has something that draws the fans in from the bottom of the card all the way to the top, otherwise people won't watch and sit through the product to get to the main event, they'll tune out long before hand.

Seriously, you're an idiot, I have to say.
Not really.

You try to make an argument before about how you can't compare TNA to WWE or WCW, because they're entirely different entities who are on entirely different levels. Then you go on to try to compare TNA to Ring of Honor to prove a point?
I don't believe I was the one to bring up Ring of Honor, YOU were.

Hypocrit.
Irony.

TNA's a nationally televised company, with a big business financing them, with huge stars compared to Ring of Honor. What's your point? Ring of Honor doesn't have any huge stars, and their main stars were stolen by TNA who have used them for their own success.. what's your point? TNA banned their talent from performing on Ring of Honor once Ring of Honor got a ppv deal, why do you think that is? Your logic's flawed.
I don't understand your point here. You said ROH was more entertaining and I said that made your opinion skewed and unreliable. It's skewed and unreliable, because even though it may appeal to you more, that doesn't mean it's more entertaining.

Oh, you mean like the fans in TNA that do the same?
Precisely. And, those "fans" who want people to think they are smart, are the same ones that criticize the product. And yet, for all their criticisms, it seems as if TNA is doing just fine, now doesn't it?

Are you kidding me? You just proved to me how completely devoid of any intelligence I was actually thinking you did have. You almost had me there. The Attitude Era only had Austin and the Rock?... not the Undertaker, Mankind, Kane, DeGeneration X (that would be Triple H, Shawn Michaels and even the New Age Outlaws back in their day), Edge & Christian, the Hardyz, the Dudley Boyz, Kurt Angle.. nor eventually Chris Jericho, Big Show, all of the Radicalz. Good job.
You really should learn to read and understand the whole context of my statement. What I said was that in 1998 and 1999, which was when the WWF was drawing their highest ratings, the midcard was crap, and the only reason ratings were so high was because of the main-event scene, which was led by Austin and Rock.

Before you have a conniption, you might want to actually fully read and comprehend what I say.

WCW was so strong in their hayday, not only because of the nWo but because they had guys like Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, all the Mexican wrestlers, putting on unbelievable matches in the mid-cards to lead up to the main event draws.
Great. Who cares?

Those guys were not what sold tickets, or made people watch. It was the nWo storyline that did. This isn't even debatable, it's fact. Main-eventers draw, not small guy undercard workers.

Why do you think WCW started to deterorate and continued to when the nWo storyline eventually got stale and died and all those great draws like Hulk Hogan were still there, but all that mid-card talent had left and went to the WWF?
There are many reasons. Eric Bischoff was not creative and booked poorly, the promotion was run poorly from a wrestling standpoint, the Time Warner merger, and several other things.

The WWF just got better and better with the mid-card talent WCW wasted.
No they didn't. They got better and better with Austin and the Rock. Don't believe me? See what happened to ratings and business in general when those two guys left.

A good wrestling product has something that draws the fans in from the bottom of the card all the way to the top, otherwise people won't watch and sit through the product to get to the main event, they'll tune out long before hand.
Nope, not really true at all. Main-event wrestlers are what draw fans, not undercard workers. This isn't rocket science, it's just fact.

Props to SlyFox for using logic and sound argument to make the strongest points. He nailed it. Sadly, no matter how effectively he debates, few people on the Internet have the decency to engage with an alternative viewpoint.

TNA is and has been fighting a problem with perception. WCW had the same problem. It seems that any big company that dare try to show a level of ambition is targeted by the WWE zealots. Basically, there are a lot of people who don't want TNA to succeed. The way the wrestling media generally report about TNA is slanted and unfair. It's so transparent.

So, TNA is battling all these perceptions. The media choose to focus on and exaggerate TNA's flaws - the "horrible morale", the "terrible buyrates" etc. They also want to characterize TNA as a clueless company, rather than a progressive company which (like EVERY company) has made some mistakes in its short life. A company which has grown as much as TNA in six years cannot be clueless. They have made great strides but, rather than acknowledging that, the critics try to paint this gloomy picture of a failing company.

I would guess that most of the online critics just jump on the anti-TNA bandwagon because it's easier to do that than to use your own judgment. There doesn't seem to be a lot of original thought online. There are so many regurgitated opinions. If Meltzer was spinning TNA in positive ways and highlighting the positives, I'm confident a lot of the sheep would be echoing the same sentiments.

It takes courage to defend your enjoyment of TNA online! In doing so, I've encountered some vitriol, had my intelligence and honesty questioned and basically been called all sorts of names. For admitting I like a wrestling product?! Strangely, I know a lot of people IN THE REAL WORLD who really do enjoy TNA. Online, it's becoming the equivalent of admitting you like to cross-dress!

Ultimately, there's too much negativity online generally. Internet fans are often the most crticial and DON'T necessarily reflect the views of the casual viewers. That's why they are often ridiculed.

Honestly, I've watched some incredible movies and TV shows, yet when I check some reviews online there's at least one guy complaining (in the most negative way possible) about how much it "sucked" and how the writer is a "stupid hack!!" etc etc. The Internet is a terrific resource, but in some places it has attracted geeky losers who just want to vent their frustrations which, deep down, have nothing to do with the product they are reviewing and more to do with their own life frustrations!

This may be true to a point, but it's also true that TNA fans seem to see only positives and ignore the huge holes and problems with the product. I for one am not a WWE zealot as I have just as many problems with the current WWE product. I would love TNA to success and I'd love to see them reach the potential with their talent that I believe they could, in my mind, but right now I find their product almost unwatchable for the most part. I enjoyed TNA's X division back in the day, loved the World X Cup years ago with Team Canada, enjoyed their tag team division, and found many good things. The reason WWE fans are loyal and stick with them even when their product slumps and becomes something bad is because they've had incredible era's in their product which has made their fanbase loyal and they're willing to stick through the bad and wait, in hopes of things turning around and becoming as good as it's been in several different times in WWE/WWF histiory. TNA doesn't have that same advantage as they're young and don't have as strong or large of a loyal fanbase.. they need to build that and earn that, and to do that they need a good product consistently.

Not really.

I don't believe I was the one to bring up Ring of Honor, YOU were.

And you tried to use Ring of Honor as an absurd argument that lacked logic.

I don't understand your point here. You said ROH was more entertaining and I said that made your opinion skewed and unreliable. It's skewed and unreliable, because even though it may appeal to you more, that doesn't mean it's more entertaining.

I said Ring of Honor is more entertaining to me.
You have no point here.

Precisely. And, those "fans" who want people to think they are smart, are the same ones that criticize the product. And yet, for all their criticisms, it seems as if TNA is doing just fine, now doesn't it?

All a matter of perspective since their ratings have been falling and there's no proof their ppv buy rates are improving.

You really should learn to read and understand the whole context of my statement. What I said was that in 1998 and 1999, which was when the WWF was drawing their highest ratings, the midcard was crap, and the only reason ratings were so high was because of the main-event scene, which was led by Austin and Rock.

You really should read and understand. Most of those names were there, in the mid-card, during that time and carried the product along with Austin and Rock just fine.

Those guys were not what sold tickets, or made people watch. It was the nWo storyline that did. This isn't even debatable, it's fact. Main-eventers draw, not small guy undercard workers.

Are overall ratings determined by one segment or main event match of an entire two hour show? Do you think people will buy ppvs for one main event when the entire rest of the show is nobody's who are unwatchable?

And you tried to use Ring of Honor as an absurd argument that lacked logic.
What?

It's not absurd, it's simple fact. TNA is more entertaining than Ring of Honor.

I said Ring of Honor is more entertaining to me.
You have no point here.
And, that makes your opinion skewed and unreliable. Like I said earlier.

All a matter of perspective since their ratings have been falling and there's no proof their ppv buy rates are improving.
And yet, their revenue is increasing, their profit is increasing, and their exposure is increasing.

I call that successful.

You really should read and understand. Most of those names were there, in the mid-card, during that time and carried the product along with Austin and Rock just fine.
Huh? No, those names didn't carry the product, and the midcard sucked. You had stupid pointless angles going on, that were raunchy for the sake of raunchy.

If you take Austin and Rock out of 1998 and 1999, then the WWF might not exist today.

Are overall ratings determined by one segment or main event match of an entire two hour show?
Overall ratings are determined by number of viewers who watch the show. And if a show promotes a strong main-event that people want to see, then the show gets a better rating. That's why Raw gets a 3.5 TV rating, and ECW gets a 1.2 TV rating. Because Raw has the main-eventers, and ECW has all undercard workers.

Do you think people will buy ppvs for one main event when the entire rest of the show is nobody's who are unwatchable?
Yes. They do for boxing, they do for MMA, and they have always done it for wrestling.

Sly, obviously you must've ordered December To Dismember 06 and enjoyed it with that logic. A card has to be interesting throughout if anyone is going to buy it. And boxing is getting it's ass kicked by MMA right now. And when it comes to wrestling, shows are sold based on the wrestler's personalities, not on in ring content. In MMA and boxing, its about the fighting and violence involved. People like watching guys get punched in the head no matter whos doing the punching. People could care less about Funaki vs Kenny Dkystra.

Sly, obviously you must've ordered December To Dismember 06 and enjoyed it with that logic.
Why? D2D had a terrible main-event.

A card has to be interesting throughout if anyone is going to buy it.
It helps, but not necessary if you have a main-event people want to see. Take Starrcade '97. Do you REALLY think anyone bought that PPV for any reason other than to see Sting vs. Hogan?

And boxing is getting it's ass kicked by MMA right now.
So? MMA promotes on the strength of one or two fights, not a whole card.

slyfox,
i will have to disagree with you on your point about wwe attitude era mid card. i think the midcard is what defined the attitude era. sure, there was alot of whacky garbage going on back then, but that's what creates water cooler talk. mark henry sleeping with his sister, val venis getting his dick chopped off, sable half nude, etc.... mind you the top of the card drew the ppv buyrates, but when you turn on a wrestling show and a vampire is drinking blood, it made it hard to change the channel. i don't think wwe's ratings would have been as high if you had benoit wrestling eddie for twenty minutes on a show where stone cold made mcmahon piss his pants.

What is your role in TNA anyways? I don'T want to piss you of or anything but it seem like you don'T really know anything that'S going on in TNA as far as PPV buys and ratings and all the other financial stuff. So if you could please tell us what's your role in TNA is, i'm pretty sure that us, internet fans, could have a intelligent discussion about TNA after.

as of right now i am an agent(producer). for example, mcmg will wrestle rock n rave. i give the talent the finish and the bullet points of the match. they lay it out and come to me with what they've got. if it sounds like it works within their time constrictions, i'll write down specific spots and then during the match i'm in the production truck and i call shots to the director. sometimes i have ideas for specific spots during the match which the talent will use. other times we'll all lay the match out together. i also will get with talent during the day and give constructive criticism. sometimes i'll give creative some ideas, also. and other times i'll help russo produce backstage vignettes. myself, pat kenney, jim cornette and scott d'amore all do the same job. d'amore is pretty much recognized as the best agent, and has done excellent work with the girls.

The thing about TV that most people don't realize is that wrestling programs need to leave people with something to think about or want to tune in the next week to see what will happen. Thats why the NWO and the attitude era worked. What is more memorable? Bret Hart v. Chris Benoit on the tribute show for Owen Hart (which is probably one of my favorite matches) or crazy angles.

I still remember Austin beating Mcmahon with a bedpan or when Austin drove the Zamboni down the ramp and jumped over tons of security to beat McMahon for screwing him out of the title. Or as previously mentioned Val Venis getting his "privates" chopped off by Kae En Tai.

Or in Nitro when Hulk Hogan made his turn. No one cared about the match. Everyone just was in awe about the angle/turn Hogan made. Or when Sting came down from the rafters to take on the NWO. These are what the average fan remembers... not the matches.

Does this mean that wrestling shows should be all angles and interviews? No. Matches are essential. But not all matches need to be a hundred stars to be good.

Everyone wants to bash TNA for having too little match time or too much match time or too much crazy angles but the fact of the matter is 1) its got people talking. 2) people do enjoy aspects of TNA and 3) they are trying something different. Does that mean I think you should watch TNA? If you like it sure. Personally, I stopped watching cause it no longer interested me. Do I "bitch" about it non-stop? Hell no. I just turn the channel.

slyfox,
i will have to disagree with you on your point about wwe attitude era mid card. i think the midcard is what defined the attitude era. sure, there was alot of whacky garbage going on back then, but that's what creates water cooler talk. mark henry sleeping with his sister, val venis getting his dick chopped off, sable half nude, etc.... mind you the top of the card drew the ppv buyrates, but when you turn on a wrestling show and a vampire is drinking blood, it made it hard to change the channel. i don't think wwe's ratings would have been as high if you had benoit wrestling eddie for twenty minutes on a show where stone cold made mcmahon piss his pants.
I understand what you're saying, but those things were entertaining based more off of their shock factor, and the "push the envelope" factor than they were because the angles themselves were inherently entertaining.

I think if you were to do the EXACT same things today, they wouldn't get a bat of the eye, simply because the envelopes already been pushed.

I do agree that those things were probably more conducive to high ratings than a 20 minute Benoit vs. Guerrero match.

what other forums post my articles?
There are plenty. I know the forums on the prowrestling.com have posted some of the article, I know that the PWR forums have posted it. There are several different forums.

as of right now i am an agent(producer). for example, mcmg will wrestle rock n rave. i give the talent the finish and the bullet points of the match. they lay it out and come to me with what they've got. if it sounds like it works within their time constrictions, i'll write down specific spots and then during the match i'm in the production truck and i call shots to the director. sometimes i have ideas for specific spots during the match which the talent will use. other times we'll all lay the match out together. i also will get with talent during the day and give constructive criticism. sometimes i'll give creative some ideas, also. and other times i'll help russo produce backstage vignettes. myself, pat kenney, jim cornette and scott d'amore all do the same job. d'amore is pretty much recognized as the best agent, and has done excellent work with the girls.

Wow, I didn't know exactly what you did with TNA; so that was very interesting for me. To me, that sounds like a great job and a very interesting one too. If you are a fan I can imagine that you love your job. Your post also helped me understand how matches work. I thank you. Now as for if your brain works or not, I think this thread and your posts have proven that your brain does indeed work.

This thread has elevated my opinion of you.

I don't post here much and sorry if I piss people off, but what I say will be the truth.

The fact of the matter is, us fans, TRUE fans will ALWAYS be fans. We will ALWAYS support TNA and WWE as long as they are on. We will ALWAYS have that glimmer of hope we see something in either promotion that will trigger the little mark in all of us. An oh shit moment. Wanna know why Raw is at 3's and not 5's like in the Attitude era. Simple. The kids who were 15-16 who tuned in and saw nWo, Goldberg, Austin, Rock, HHH are gone. Those types of people couldn't spot Ultimate Warrior if he didn't have his face paint on and running around shaking shit. And even if he did, they prolly STILL wouldn't have known him if not for his craptactular stint in WCW.

Wrestling "fans" will always be here. What makes a promotion succeed is drawing in NON wrestling fans. Hulk Hogan, and Steve Austin did that. Hulk Hogan had every kid wanting his shirts, tank tops, his movies everything. Austin made every pimple faced geek scared to stand up to anybody feel good. Like they COULD actually take on the bully at school. For those types, reality was suspended. And because of those types, Raw would draw 5's Nitro would draw 4's 5's and you had a BOOMING business.

But now, those fans are gone. Wrestling isn't cool anymore. It isn't popular. And why should it? WWE is almost pure crap and TNA is so horrible its pathetic. So how do you draw them in? Im not sure. I guess thats why Im not writing wrestling for a living. But I do know a fucking reverse battle royal is the UNDISPUTED MOST ******ED GIMMICK in the history of wrestling. And that was TNA. I also know WWE hasn't created a HUGE star in years. Why? Vince is bored.

Do I want TNA to succeed? Hell yes. It means Vince will try harder, which will make TNA try harder. If TNA doesn't succeed, WWE doesn't succeed, wrestling doesn't succeed and we as fans lose. I WANT to have two brands to watch. I WANT to see different stars, different angles, different events. But right its not a contest.

And the bad thing is, WWE is losing the last bit of their era fans. And TNA's ratings aren't going up. When WWE lost their viewers last time, WCW snatched them up. TNA isn't doing that. So whoever is leaving WWE programming, isnt turning on TNA and going "wow thats new, Im going to try this"

And why is that? It's simple. TNA can't succeed if they bury their own stars. Don't you think Vince was laughing his ass off Glen, when he would turn on TNA or hear about how HIS creations were dominating TNA? Now that may not seem like much, but if your a fan of WWE, and your like fuck this crap im done, turn over to TNA and BLAM Angle is beating Joe, Styles, Jarrett, Sting, yadda. WTF? Isn't this the same crap Im TRYING to get away from? Now clueless fans will go hey, Angle Dudleys Christian are winning so I guess this promotion ain't crap since their stars are WWE stars. Now what if they had tuned in and saw Samoa Joe just DOMINATE Angle. Wow, thats different, wow thats wait who is this Samoa guy. He just dominated Angle. And man whose the Motor City machine guns they just made a laughing stock of the Dudleys.

TNA's and WWE's ratings are going to sit at pretty much the same # until either promotion figures out a way to draw the people who don't like wrestling in. And I love the Knockouts, but they won't sell. Women has never sold and never will. I like Big Show, but he doesn't sell. Didn't in WCW, hasn't in WWE. Snitsky or Snitzky whatever it is, is BEYOND garbage. He couldn't sell out a sports car.

And another major thing in TNA especially is all the turns. Angles a face no he's a heel. Nope a face now a heel. Christian, a face, a heel, a face all in the span of not too long. Booker was a face now he's already a heel. Just because TNA brings somebody in does NOT mean they have to debut as a face. Christian And Booker are 10x better as Heels. They should be heels. Just like HHH is ten times better as a heel. Some guys were MADE for face/heels.

And don't get me started on Shark Boy. That right there might be the dumbest and most ignorant gimmick in the history of mankind. Cause it hurts your promotion. Your taking a guy who can't sell, and asking him to do a parody of one of if not top 3 selling gimmicks of all time. You don't have a Stone Cold. Nothing even close to it. So don't remind fans how good wrestling was. "Holy crap hes pretending his Stone Cold...Damn I miss him, damn wrestling was great then....yadda yadda". Another thing again, you've got WWE wrestlers, you have a former WWE writer, and now you are taking 2 of the most popular characters of all time (Austin and Savage), and pushing 1 of them to the moon. Now I agree Black Machismo is great. He does a fantastic job. 1 is fine. But 2 is pushing it, especially when the other cant even do anything cause hes a fucking shark. The minute WCW started to recognize WWE, their troubles began. Mentioning WWE this, WWE that, Foleys going to win the title, blah blah, trouble followed. You won't turn on WWE and see any of their talent mimicking TNA talent. Won't see WWE even MENTION TNA. Why? Thats bad business.

Im getting tired and its time to watch some old wrestling. But in closing Ill say this

Just like in sports, Coaches can be blamed for everything (writers in wrestling). But at the end of the day its all about the talent. And right now Samoa Joe and AJ Styles aren't Austin and the Rock. Bautista and Randy Orton isn't the Andre the Giant and Macho Man. The talent just isn't there. And no matter what, you can script somebody to be good, bad, great, a hero, a villian but if they cant speak and cant wrestling nobody will give two shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back