[Official] Disco Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguy

Dark Match Winner
Before I start, i was and am a disco fan, but i gotta call him out when he says things this dumb

Disco consistently has a holier than thou attitude towards the internet fans.
Let's knock him down a peg, shall we?

lets look at his latest column:

"how ironic is it that people will pay $120 dollars for a front row seat so they can chant "Fire Russo." Think about that. "If you guys don't fire Russo, then we're not going to pay $120 for front row seats anymore!" O.k. Thanks for the $120, though! "

Hey Disco, I live in Toronto and am surrounded by a bunch of Toronto Maple Leaf fans. Tickets to Leaf games are hundreds of dollars and they are always sold out. Funny thing, the Leafs are terrible and haven't made the playoffs since 2004. And the fans will chant "Fire Fergusen" at the Leafs general manager all throughout the game. So why are people still going to the games? they know the team isn't good? Its because they still want the team to be good, and they are hoping at any moment the team will listen to them, change direction, and become good. Just like i truly hope that TNA will be good someday, but i gave up watching it months ago because i just couldn't stomach it anymore. And yes, if things dont change, those guys chanting "Fire Russo" are going to stop paying for those seats, and they sure as hell aren't buying the ppvs.

What TNA fans are doing right now when they come to your shows and chant "Fire Russo", they are expressing their wish for the direction of the product to change and become better.
And you can't deny that the direction of the company needs to change. Ratings are stagnant at a number considered low by wrestling standards, and ppv buys aren't increasing either. But even worse is that the word of mouth about tna is that it sucks, and it didn't used to be that way.

Gillbertti consistently says that the internet wrestling community does not reflect their market as a whole. Could be, could be. But the die-hard internet fans do spend the most money on your product through dvds, ppvs, and other products not being bought by the casual fan who does not bother to read about tna on the internet

if you are a baseball fan you will check out baseball websites just like if you are a wrestling fan, you are going to read stuff about wrestling on the internet. So then ask yourself how often the fans who don't bother to check the internet are going to bother to buy a ppv.
If you do manage to get the casual fan to like your product enough to buy a ppv, they will inevitibly start reading about your product on the internet thus becoming an internet wrestling fan themselves.
You cant run from us Disco, we are the ones keeping TNA afloat!

So Disco inferno when you say you laugh off "Fire Russo" chants, i not only think that is incredibly poor business, but it also reminds me why there doesn't seem to be any hope in sight for TNA.

ps LANCE STORM FOR PRIME MINISTER!!!

typical, another internet poster overstating his importance in the wrestling business. it's great to see you know so much about the wrestling fanbase. the "fire russo" guys are not tna fans. they're the same people that buy front row seats for wwe and roh whenever they're in town. they don't go because they're fans of the product. they go to the show to put themselves over. do you actually think that the people that keep wrestling in business are the posters on wrestlezone, wrestlingobserver, and pwtorch.com? the sites combined get less than 100,000 regular viewers a day(approximate number based on my knowledge of various wrestling sites.) do the math. approximately 1,000,000 people watch tna each week. if you think that fanbase keeps the company in business then i would suffice that YOUR brain doesn't work right. and how do you know they're the one's buying the merchandise and dvds? the main reason we laugh at the "fire russo" chants is because they usually take place during segments that vince had NOTHING to do with. sorry if we think that's funny. not to mention how dumb your maple leaf fan argument is, when they're paying thousands of dollars for season tickets on a product that involves real sporting competition, and TNA takes place in front of a studio audience in a theme park for free. i can see how you think my brain doesn't work right, since i'm probably on a much higher intellectual level than you when it comes to the wrestling business.

I read what lance storm said, and if you like that guy then your an idiot iguy. Your one of those people that thinks he knows a lot when they dont know much and shows in this post.

gg, I enjoyed last Thursday's TNA keep up the good work guys. Love what you guys are doing with AJ. That guy is truly phenomenal! I cant wait till June 15th, I have VIP tickets so will get to meet all the TNA talent with my friend.

I think the key to getting ratings in wrestling is to find the right balance between wrestling and entertainment. When I look back at the times when wrestling was high, it was cause it was entertaining, not because of the quality of the wrestling it self. I mean look at NWO back in the day. Look at Hogan, he cant wrestle much, his move set is extremely limited, but the guy is entertaining, and that is key.

Now consider TNA, most if not all the talent can wrestle great, and that is important to me, but what is even more important is the entertainment, the story lines. Currently they are not bad, but not great, which is why they are getting new wrestlers in but ratings are not going up I believe. TNA need to come up with that big story line and its ratings will improve I think. They need to get some new writers in there to come up with more creative ideas. Work on your wrestlers mic skills, make them more interesting and try and improve their charisma. Of the top of my head these are some of the areas they need to work on.

Let's compare quotes; "how ironic is it that people will pay $120 dollars for a front row seat so they can chant "Fire Russo." and then; "the "fire russo" guys are not tna fans. they're the same people that buy front row seats for wwe and roh whenever they're in town. they don't go because they're fans of the product. they go to the show to put themselves over"
So basically it is being inferred that people who pay 120 dollars in our economy are doing it just to be heard chanting on a PPV that few people are going to watch, and the fact that they enjoy TNA is irrelevant. I myself did not see the PPV but if what Mr. Gilbertti is asserting happens to be true, I can only assume the fans did nothing but chant "fire Russo" the whole time and did not get into the event at all.
Now onto math. 100,000 people visit these websites every day and TNA get's 1,000,000 viewers. Given the 100,000 viewers are huge wrestling fans, let's assume at least half those people watch impact. That is 50,000 which happens to be five percent of TNA's audience. Perhaps if at least five percent of your fan base has a large problem with the way things are being run, you should re-evalulate your strategy... And for God sakes let the Motor City Machine Guns out of the dog house! They were as over as anyone in TNA and could be something special.

If tna was big why cant they tape around in the countryand tape?And why does this totally no action wrestling constantly live off wcw past the most n tries to shit steroid wrestling entertainment?I mean wwf or e whateva hhh wants to be named?Where the tna home grown talent?Nowhere cuz they let wwe fireds take the shine from them!Disco wouldnt be dick riding tna if he had talent to go 2 wwe!!All u did was dance in wcw n looked a fool like u do on these forums!!all tna homegrowns get buried week after week!!I only watch the ladies who are tna not the guys!!!I heard they give away tickets disco so why is u sayin some1 is spendin 100 or so for some frre tickets!U must be still living ya gimmick wake up Glen Russo is bringing u down well tna like he killed wcw!If u respond talk like a man wit no gimmick ok?Disco fever disco fever yeah yeah!!Is gay!I probably be banned but who cares?

typical, another internet poster overstating his importance in the wrestling business. it's great to see you know so much about the wrestling fanbase. the "fire russo" guys are not tna fans. they're the same people that buy front row seats for wwe and roh whenever they're in town. they don't go because they're fans of the product. they go to the show to put themselves over. do you actually think that the people that keep wrestling in business are the posters on wrestlezone, wrestlingobserver, and pwtorch.com? the sites combined get less than 100,000 regular viewers a day(approximate number based on my knowledge of various wrestling sites.) do the math. approximately 1,000,000 people watch tna each week.

You know this argument completely goes to shit when instead of comparing those numbers to your TV ratings, you compare those numbers to your buyrates? Because typically, TNA doesn't get more than 50,000 buys. I can just as easily say everybody who buys the PPVs are internet fans according to your logic. :smashfreakB:

According to what I've seen of your company's advertising, you only really hard sell DVD's and merchandise on 'TNA Today'; In order to see the show, however, you gotta have internet access, and you gotta look for it (either on TNAWrestling.com, or YouTube).

I watch alot of things on TV. TNA iMPACT! just being one of them. This is actually my first post, so I don't post much here, infact, I don't post much on wrestling sites in general. I read and observe. The argument of 'A million people watch our primetime televised cable show!' to justify the incoherent over thought storylines, and badly produced segments (I.E. trying to get 4 storylines over in one segment, instead of one) doesn't cut it. Clearly there's a lack of cohesion in how the stories are produced/presented, because they aren't laymen enough for people watching the show for the first time, and because new viewers don't understand what they're watching, they'll more likely to change the channel and not come back, creating stagnant viewership.

Must this be repeated?

OK, Glen, I know I'm a 'stupid, over important, internet fan', but do you honestly think that what I just told you is any less feasible then what those people backstage (Dixie, Jeff) tell you?

The fact that the announcers are on the same volume at all times, and don't bring the volume up or down according to the importance of the said story is a problem. The fact that in order to get into the show, you have to 'get' 10 year old references is a problem. The fact that you don't time entrances for dynamic pops is a problem. The fact that a good portion of the roster don't have a logo (hurting a wrestler's individual marketing) is a problem. The fact that a good segment seems to be over and a shitty segment has begun before the last segment could register in your brain is the problem. The fact that in this day and age, where you could legit sell 5,000 tickets to your PPVs, you continue to perform in front of a crowd of 900 people on a weekly basis in a building that could easily fit more (and getting a more lively atmosphere as a result) is the problem. The fact that you continue to try to create new, 'exciting' gimmick matches, when in fact you don't have the production budget (or skills) to pull it off is the problem. The fact that the rules of a tag-team tournament takes 1 minute and 14 seconds to explain is the problem. And most importantly, most IMPORTANTLY, you (as a company, not as a individual) don't know how to tell the difference between your brilliance and your ridiculousness. Black Machismo was funny. 'Stone Cold' Shark Boy and Little Petey Pump are derivative, and simply, overkill. YOU DIDN"T NEED 3 MINIATURE PARODIES, MY MAN....

The problem is not the writing. The problem is what you do with your writing, and your (apparent) lack of filter in your writing. THAT sucks, and from a purely constructive, 3rd person, criticism (not as a smart mark on his high horse), it's killing business.

Everybody needs constructive criticism. 1st person prospective is a half-blind prospective. I'm just trying to help y'all out. I'm simply another brain. Peace....

So just let'S look at this from a TNA fan point of you. When TNA started a couple of years ago, they didn'T have a clue how to put on a wrestling so because of all the stupid gimmicks they had but at less they had a revenue since they some ppv buys and people were paying to get into the asylum in Nashville. So a couple of year pass and they finally get a tv deal but that tv deal meant that they had to move from nashville to orlando and maybe at some point lose to ticket sales revenue they had when they were in nashville. When the weekly ppv ended and TNA move to orlando for good that'S when the money problem started since they still had the same amount of fan base they had in Nashville but nobody was paying to see it since it was an attraction in the universal theme park so this meant that the only ressource of money coming in was the ppv buys.

So now where in 2008 and TNA is still running free show every 2 weeks in orlando will charging way to much for tickets for house show. I actually went to a TNA house show last december and i tought that the show was excellent but i would pay 120$ to see it simply because as good as the tna product is, right now, i just don'T cared about anything going on except for the knockout match. For some reason these segment are actually entertaining. But everything else is boring especially Booker T and is faction.

So here 2 suggestion that i got to give Gleen and the entire TNA Staff, first, move out of orlando has quick has possible, doing free show is going to kill the company eventually and secondly listen to the internet wrestling fans, they might not be a big percentage of your audience but they are the majority of fans that buys the ppv's and talk to there friend about TNA. If it wasn'T for the internet wrestling fans, you wouldn'T had the number of people watching TNA simply because most of the casual fan that watch IMPACT are friend of somebody that is a internet wrestling fans.

You know this argument completely goes to shit when instead of comparing those numbers to your TV ratings, you compare those numbers to your buyrates? Because typically, TNA doesn't get more than 50,000 buys. I can just as easily say everybody who buys the PPVs are internet fans according to your logic. :smashfreakB:

According to what I've seen of your company's advertising, you only really hard sell DVD's and merchandise on 'TNA Today'; In order to see the show, however, you gotta have internet access, and you gotta look for it (either on TNAWrestling.com, or YouTube).

I watch alot of things on TV. TNA iMPACT! just being one of them. This is actually my first post, so I don't post much here, infact, I don't post much on wrestling sites in general. I read and observe. The argument of 'A million people watch our primetime televised cable show!' to justify the incoherent over thought storylines, and badly produced segments (I.E. trying to get 4 storylines over in one segment, instead of one) doesn't cut it. Clearly there's a lack of cohesion in how the stories are produced/presented, because they aren't laymen enough for people watching the show for the first time, and because new viewers don't understand what they're watching, they'll more likely to change the channel and not come back, creating stagnant viewership.

Must this be repeated?

OK, Glen, I know I'm a 'stupid, over important, internet fan', but do you honestly think that what I just told you is any less feasible then what those people backstage (Dixie, Jeff) tell you?

The fact that the announcers are on the same volume at all times, and don't bring the volume up or down according to the importance of the said story is a problem. The fact that in order to get into the show, you have to 'get' 10 year old references is a problem. The fact that you don't time entrances for dynamic pops is a problem. The fact that a good portion of the roster don't have a logo (hurting a wrestler's individual marketing) is a problem. The fact that a good segment seems to be over and a shitty segment has begun before the last segment could register in your brain is the problem. The fact that in this day and age, where you could legit sell 5,000 tickets to your PPVs, you continue to perform in front of a crowd of 900 people on a weekly basis in a building that could easily fit more (and getting a more lively atmosphere as a result) is the problem. The fact that you continue to try to create new, 'exciting' gimmick matches, when in fact you don't have the production budget (or skills) to pull it off is the problem. The fact that the rules of a tag-team tournament takes 1 minute and 14 seconds to explain is the problem. And most importantly, most IMPORTANTLY, you (as a company, not as a individual) don't know how to tell the difference between your brilliance and your ridiculousness. Black Machismo was funny. 'Stone Cold' Shark Boy and Little Petey Pump are derivative, and simply, overkill. YOU DIDN"T NEED 3 MINIATURE PARODIES, MY MAN....

The problem is not the writing. The problem is what you do with your writing, and your (apparent) lack of filter in your writing. THAT sucks, and from a purely constructive, 3rd person, criticism (not as a smart mark on his high horse), it's killing business.

Everybody needs constructive criticism. 1st person prospective is a half-blind prospective. I'm just trying to help y'all out. I'm simply another brain. Peace....

I was always wondering the best way to reply to "disco" without looking like a douche and him saying "you are an internet fan" and "you don't know anything". Well my friend you did it. I always read GG's articles and always say this guy thinks to much of himself. Who does he think he is? A big name like the "brooklyn brawler"? He isn't. Yes he knows the wrestling business inside and out (so he says). He got the inside scoop. But we as wrestling fans know it better. "Why?" says GG. Because we are the ones that watch it and the ones that know what we like.

GG likely response.
"You are a douche. You don't know anything about the business. trying to make a name for yourself like Chris "the authority" ah..... what was his name again? i am so great that I can't remember. Sharkboy this curryman that. Highest ratings ever. 1,000,00 people watch TNA and 100,000 complain. Do the math that's like .4 % or something. We love russo. former WCW champ. Well my medication is here got to go. Peace internet fans suck TNA is better than WWE and Disco Infernalmania will run wild on you"

P.s. I spilled my beer and beat my wife because of this post. damn redneck blood"

P.P.S. i am from Newfoundland Canada. that should help ya out.

Oh Disco, maybe you've partied too much with Alex Wright...
I don't care if a million people are watching impact, how much money do you really make off tv rights? There is no way tna could make a profit off tv rights alone, not a chance. The real question is how many people are buying your ppvs, dvds, etc. I don't think that number is anywhere close to a million.
If you think its only those guys in the front row that are ticked off at the direction of the company you are way way wrong. Im not one of those guys who goes to wrestling shows every time they are in town, in fact i haven't gone in years- and i empathize with those who are chanting "Fire Russo"because the angles are totally insulting to our intelligence. Russo written shows in the past haven't always been like that. now you are right in that Russo might have nothing to do with angles that are recieving the chants, but the fans are only mentioning Russo specifically because he is a writer who's name they know- the message they are trying to get across is that they want the direction of the writing to change, no matter who is writing it. And honestly they probably don't want him really to get fired, considering he is a guy with a wife and kids.

"another internet poster overstating his importance in the wrestling business.
that exactly the attitude I am trying to get you to stop having. I am in business, and my business is VERY successful (i just put in a hot tub, i'm great). I know that my hardcore customers dont represent all my customers, but I also know that they give me the most money, so i cater to them.
Wrestling is the ONLY business I have ever heard of that consistently says that the feedback they get from their customers is not relevant because they don't represent the whole market. Take a business class Disco, because you and tna are way out to lunch on this issue. I realize you've all taken some chairshots in your day but jesus.
When i stopped watching tna my thinking was "well, i hate these storylines, and I know TNA isn't listening to anyone but themselves so i don't see how this is ever going to get better"- thats one customer lost, how many more do you want to lose? and i'm rich, id buy lots of ppvs and dvds if you catered more to me.

Frankly i could care less, but when i read that you and TNA management laugh off the Fire Russo chants, that makes me cringe as a wrestling fan, and as a business man. You've gotten yourself wrapped in this cloak of security where anytime you recieve negative feedback you can just write it off as "internet fans".
I'm not a "internet fan", i can't even watch a full roh card and i long for the days of a good tito santana vs greg valentine match. Trust me all types of fans want tna to change its direction
Its horrible horrible business to not listen to them.

I love Gilbertti's articles, as I can't think of a single one I haven't been impressed with and haven't thought to myself, "Just about everything he says is right".

But, with that being said, I love the Internet Wrestling Community's response to Gilbertti so much more. Despite making all sorts of logical sense, all they want to do is criticize him because he was the Disco Inferno. They never understand that when he is insulting certain types of fans, he is 100% dead on the money. It's amazing too, because of all the columns are Wrestlezone, Gilbertti's is the only one I see posted on various other wrestling forums. And the response is always the same, and I laugh everytime.

Keep up the good work Mr. Gilbertti. It maybe has taken a while, but you are finally the most over wrestling personality for a business. If they made a Wrestlezone Column Champion, Gilbertti would be on his 4th month of a title reign.

I love Gilbertti's articles, as I can't think of a single one I haven't been impressed with and haven't thought to myself, "Just about everything he says is right".

But, with that being said, I love the Internet Wrestling Community's response to Gilbertti so much more. Despite making all sorts of logical sense, all they want to do is criticize him because he was the Disco Inferno. They never understand that when he is insulting certain types of fans, he is 100% dead on the money. It's amazing too, because of all the columns are Wrestlezone, Gilbertti's is the only one I see posted on various other wrestling forums. And the response is always the same, and I laugh everytime.

Keep up the good work Mr. Gilbertti. It maybe has taken a while, but you are finally the most over wrestling personality for a business. If they made a Wrestlezone Column Champion, Gilbertti would be on his 4th month of a title reign.

woah woah woah. How can you say Gilberttis is right? clearly something tna is doing is wrong. TV ratings: very low for wrestling standards, ppv buys: low for wrestling standards.
WWE shows that the market for wrestling is huge, yet tna still can only tap into a small percentage of it.
So when deciding whether or not Disco knows anything about the wrestling business lets remind ourselves that Disco has never been associated with a successful wrestling product: When disco joined the booking team with WCW (just after the wolfpac and hollywood united i think, but am not sure) WCW had a large fan base that continued to shrink until its demise. Now disco is with TNA, a company that has been unable to tap into anything but a small percentage of the wrestling market despite having national exposure.
so before asking yourself if Disco knows anything about the wrestling business, ask yourself `does disco know how to do anything BUT FAIL in the wrestling business``
normally a holier than tho attitude is reserved for people who have actual accomplished something, not just for people who try

do you actually think that the people that keep wrestling in business are the posters on wrestlezone, wrestlingobserver, and pwtorch.com? the sites combined get less than 100,000 regular viewers a day(approximate number based on my knowledge of various wrestling sites.) do the math. approximately 1,000,000 people watch tna each week. if you think that fanbase keeps the company in business then i would suffice that YOUR brain doesn't work right.

no, you`re right, i dont think the posters on those websites account for everyone keeping tna afloat. You ofcourse, in your infinite wisdom, are forgetting to count all the posters on all the millions of others of wrestling sites out there such as: obsessedwithwrestling.com , lordsofpain.net, ewrestlingnews, and all of Canada gets its wrestling news from thefightnetwork.com - so if only 10% of your fanbase is posting on those three sites you mentioned, what percentage of fans do you think are posting on all the hundreds of other wrestling sites
you do the math disco. How many baseball fans out there do you think never check the internet for information on the sport

woah woah woah. How can you say Gilberttis is right?
Simple. I read his articles, and then move my fingers across the keyboard.

clearly something tna is doing is wrong.
Oh? That's why they've gone from opening their doors 6 years ago, to the undisputed number two promotion in America?

TV ratings: very low for wrestling standards,
No, they're very low for WWE Raw standards. This may shock you, but not all wrestling shows judge the success of their ratings against Raw.

However, what Impact's ratings ARE high for is their spot on SpikeTV. And if the TV network is happy with the ratings, what else matters?

ppv buys: low for wrestling standards.
You know this how? To my knowledge, TNA has NEVER released PPV buyrates for their shows. The only thing you're going on is what Dave Meltzer reported a long time ago. And if you're going to believe Dave Meltzer, then you're not very smart.

I'm not saying that TNA draws good or bad buys. What I'm saying is that YOU have no idea what they draw.

WWE shows that the market for wrestling is huge, yet tna still can only tap into a small percentage of it.
They own approximately 20% of the wrestling fans on their TV show of only 3 years. What exactly are you expecting from them?

So when deciding whether or not Disco knows anything about the wrestling business lets remind ourselves that Disco has never been associated with a successful wrestling product:
Gilbertti played the character of an out-of-date disco room dancer...and got the character over.

I think that says volumes for him.

When disco joined the booking team with WCW (just after the wolfpac and hollywood united i think, but am not sure) WCW had a large fan base that continued to shrink until its demise.
AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Did you really just insinuate that Glenn Gilbertti is the reason that WCW died?

Now disco is with TNA, a company that has been unable to tap into anything but a small percentage of the wrestling market despite having national exposure.
You call 20%, for a company of only 6 years, and with only a 3 year old television show, a "small percentage".

See, your problem, just like most people who criticize TNA, is that you blame TNA for being as successful as they have been. In your eyes, TNA is a victim of their own success. I GUARANTEE you that ANY company, especially an entertainment company, starting out would LOVE to be in a position that TNA has put themselves in over the course of six years. They have national exposure, monthly live PPVs, they're stealing talent from the WWE, they're on schedule to pull a profit this year...that's pretty darn successful.

so before asking yourself if Disco knows anything about the wrestling business, ask yourself `does disco know how to do anything BUT FAIL in the wrestling business``
What successes have you had in the wrestling business? I'll be the first person in the world to scream that being in the business has nothing to do with gauging the quality of a program, but if your criteria for rating Gilbertti's opinion is based upon his success, or lack thereof, in the wrestling business, please inform us of all the successes YOU'VE had in the business. What channel can I turn on to see you work this week? What feuds have you been in?

normally a holier than tho attitude is reserved for people who have actual accomplished something, not just for people who try
And yet, here you are, expressing that same opinion, only with far less credentials to do so.

It's one thing to disagree with Glenn Gilbertti because you have valid counterpoints, and it's something different all together to disagree with him because of your perceived notions of his success in the wrestling business.

The fact that he was a memorable character during the hottest period for wrestling in the last 20 years, being given a horrific character and getting heat with it, should say quite a bit about Gilbertti's success in the wrestling business.

buddy you are so far up disco`s ass you can taste what he had for dinner yesterday.
Your only motivation seems to be that you want to lick discos balls (get it, disco balls)
I may not have had success in the wrestling business, but i have had ENORMOUS success in business

There is not a single comment you made that is right in anyway. You are possibly the dumbest poster I have ever encountered and I will be ignoring you from here on out.
The funny thing about this, besides what the mod team will do, is how very little of what I said has anything to do with Disco. I've been saying the same things long before Disco started working for Wrestlezone.

Every comment I made WAS right in every way. The fact that you resorted to a needless flame instead of responding with counterpoints more than validates my post. And, I have to ask.

What is the "ENORMOUS" success you have had in business, and tell me how that has any impact on your views of wrestling.

Simple. I read his articles, and then move my fingers across the keyboard.

Oh? That's why they've gone from opening their doors 6 years ago, to the undisputed number two promotion in America?

How could they not be undisputed #2? all they have to do is beat ROH. they were number 2 before their first event.

No, they're very low for WWE Raw standards. This may shock you, but not all wrestling shows judge the success of their ratings against Raw.

- if they don't they should. WWE ratings show what the market for wrestling is, if that many people like WWE then there is a way to get those people to watch your product. TNA hasn't managed to do that.

However, what Impact's ratings ARE high for is their spot on SpikeTV. And if the TV network is happy with the ratings, what else matters?

the real ECW had those ratings for the same station and the network wasn't pleased and booted them off. Sure the numbers might be good enough to actually stay on the station, but to not be able to increase your viewership when another brand is getting 3x as many views is horrible.

You know this how? To my knowledge, TNA has NEVER released PPV buyrates for their shows. The only thing you're going on is what Dave Meltzer reported a long time ago. And if you're going to believe Dave Meltzer, then you're not very smart.

Disco will tell you that the ppv buys are not increasing, you can ask him the next time you are giving him a hummer

I'm not saying that TNA draws good or bad buys. What I'm saying is that YOU have no idea what they draw.

They own approximately 20% of the wrestling fans on their TV show of only 3 years. What exactly are you expecting from them?

you haven't phrased this right, i don't know what you are actually saying, but i'll assume that i don't agree with it.

Gilbertti played the character of an out-of-date disco room dancer...and got the character over.

I think that says volumes for him.

as a performer yes. I'll be the first to admit that Disco totally got that character over and was in fact underutilized. But Disco's record behind the scenes is a totally different subject.

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Did you really just insinuate that Glenn Gilbertti is the reason that WCW died?

No I didn't, i was stating that he's never been associated with a successful wrestling product behind the scenes. He's been involved with two companies behind the scenes, one of them being WCW, and neither has been successful

You call 20%, for a company of only 6 years, and with only a 3 year old television show, a "small percentage".

With only a 3 year television show?!!! thats a long time buddy, Nitro didn't need that long, Raw didn't need that long. They had much bigger budgets mind you, but still. To say that you are still in the "growing" period in terms of ratings after 3 years is really dumb. Even disco should agree on that.

See, your problem, just like most people who criticize TNA, is that you blame TNA for being as successful as they have been. In your eyes, TNA is a victim of their own success. I GUARANTEE you that ANY company, especially an entertainment company, starting out would LOVE to be in a position that TNA has put themselves in over the course of six years. They have national exposure, monthly live PPVs, they're stealing talent from the WWE, they're on schedule to pull a profit this year...that's pretty darn successful.

This doesn't make any sense. I don't blame them for their success, they aren't successful! they might, MIGHT, make a profit, but considering how large and untapped the market is, they are doing pretty terribly

What successes have you had in the wrestling business? I'll be the first person in the world to scream that being in the business has nothing to do with gauging the quality of a program, but if your criteria for rating Gilbertti's opinion is based upon his success, or lack thereof, in the wrestling business, please inform us of all the successes YOU'VE had in the business. What channel can I turn on to see you work this week? What feuds have you been in?

And yet, here you are, expressing that same opinion, only with far less credentials to do so.

I could be in creative for wrestling, really anyone COULD do it. And if i did it and was terribly unsuccessful that would still put me on an even playing field with what Disco has done.
As for my success in business: I was a funder for a profitable film that net close to a million, I bought and sold stock for the startup company "research in Motion"- you might know them they invented the blackberry, i own a bar in Toronto, and am co-owner of a Tim Hortons franchise that i've never been to but nets me six digits a year- come to my house, come to my bar, and then tell me i don't know anything about business- oh and i've done all this at 28 after growing up dirty poor in North York

It's one thing to disagree with Glenn Gilbertti because you have valid counterpoints, and it's something different all together to disagree with him because of your perceived notions of his success in the wrestling business.

No, i'm saying that we shouldn't take his word as gold because he's in the wrestling business, you have to be successful in the business first for that to happen

The fact that he was a memorable character during the hottest period for wrestling in the last 20 years, being given a horrific character and getting heat with it, should say quite a bit about Gilbertti's success in the wrestling business.

yes, as a performer he should be given that credit.

You are a tool, and NOW i will be ignoring you

Look, i actually like Disco and i'm even a vince russo fan. But for him to say that they laugh off the negative feedback is ridiculous. they should be listening to it and catering to their audience

How could they not be undisputed #2? all they have to do is beat ROH. they were number 2 before their first event.
No offense, but that's a silly statement. How could they not be undisputed #2? Easy. Be like the other 30 promotions in the country that are not.

- if they don't they should. WWE ratings show what the market for wrestling is, if that many people like WWE then there is a way to get those people to watch your product. TNA hasn't managed to do that.
They've only had three years to do. Raw has been on since 1993. In 1996, three years after the debut of Raw, the WWF was drawing high 1s and low 2s. And that is after having 50 years of tradition behind the product.

TNA has only been in operation for 6 years, and on TV for 3. I'm not exactly sure what you expect from them. How can you possibly expect them to compete with the WWE's number 1 show, with absolutely no tradition behind them?

the real ECW had those ratings for the same station and the network wasn't pleased and booted them off. Sure the numbers might be good enough to actually stay on the station, but to not be able to increase your viewership when another brand is getting 3x as many views is horrible.
That's because ECW wasn't getting 1.0 when everyone else was getting a 3.5. ECW was getting a 1.0 when WCW and WWF were combining for over 10.0 ratings. Major difference. Not to mention how many channels have been created over the last 8 years, further giving people more options to watch.

Disco will tell you that the ppv buys are not increasing, you can ask him the next time you are giving him a hummer
Oooh, you made a gay joke. How very clever of you. And how do you know what TNA's PPVs garner in buys? You still haven't answered my question.

you haven't phrased this right, i don't know what you are actually saying, but i'll assume that i don't agree with it.
No, I phrased it accurately. The WWE draws about 5 million viewers for their show, and TNA draws about 1 million. That's twenty percent of the available wrestling audience, in only three years of existence.

No I didn't, i was stating that he's never been associated with a successful wrestling product behind the scenes. He's been involved with two companies behind the scenes, one of them being WCW, and neither has been successful
And yet, TNA is the number 2 promotion in America, has a national TV deal, monthly live PPVs, merchandising in stores, a DVD division, some of the top main-eventers from the WWE, and are going to make a profit.

What about that is not successful?

Let's put it this way. Let's say I open a restaurant. I make a couple hundred thousand dollars profit every year. Is my restaurant not successful, because McDonalds makes a couple million dollars profit?

Your logic doesn't make any sense at all.

With only a 3 year television show?!!! thats a long time buddy, Nitro didn't need that long, Raw didn't need that long. They had much bigger budgets mind you, but still. To say that you are still in the "growing" period in terms of ratings after 3 years is really dumb. Even disco should agree on that.
Now wait a minute. Both Nitro and Raw had primetime slots. Nitro had a live show on a night that Raw made a wrestling night. TNA's show started late night on Saturday night. Since then they have nearly doubled their audience, moved to prime time on a traditionally VERY strong TV night (meaning stiff competition), and have gotten a two hour show. Obviously SpikeTV thinks their show is successful. They pulled record ratings twice in January and February.

If you think that Impact and Raw/Nitro can be compared, you're not thinking straight.

This doesn't make any sense. I don't blame them for their success, they aren't successful! they might, MIGHT, make a profit, but considering how large and untapped the market is, they are doing pretty terribly
So then, EVERY wrestling show, every wrestling promotion, other than Monday Night Raw is unsuccessful? Smackdown is unsuccessful, ECW is unsuccessful, ROH is unsuccessful, Monday Nitro was unsuccessful back in the first year of their existence, Raw was unsuccessful from 96-98....in your opinion then, every show that isn't number 1 is unsuccessful.

Do you now see why Gilbertti constantly criticizes fans?

I could be in creative for wrestling, really anyone COULD do it. And if i did it and was terribly unsuccessful that would still put me on an even playing field with what Disco has done.
As for my success in business: I was a funder for a profitable film that net close to a million, I bought and sold stock for the startup company "research in Motion"- you might know them they invented the blackberry, i own a bar in Toronto, and am co-owner of a Tim Hortons franchise that i've never been to but nets me six digits a year- come to my house, come to my bar, and then tell me i don't know anything about business- oh and i've done all this at 28 after growing up dirty poor in North York
Great. Now explain to me how any of that translates into judging the success of TNA?

I mean, you're not successful at all. I mean, Sex and the City movie made $55.7 million dollars in one weekend. See all the untapped resources that are available in the movie business? Your movie only made $1 million. Your movie was unsuccessful. This is fun, let's continue, shall we?

I've never heard of a Tim Horton's, but I did some quick research and see that it's a "coffee and donuts" shop. Tell me, are you the most wealthy man from Tim Horton's? Because, if not, then you're not successful. Is your franchise as successful as McDonalds, worldwide? If not, then you're not successful. And, I don't think I need to address the success of your bar, or lack thereof.

Now see, using YOUR theory, you're not successful at all. And neither are any of your business ventures. Why? Because there are so many untapped resources in your markets that you're not catering to, and there are so many who are.

So, you're not successful, and have no business telling TNA how successful they are.

No, i'm saying that we shouldn't take his word as gold because he's in the wrestling business, you have to be successful in the business first for that to happen
I don't take his word as gold because he's in the wrestling business, I take it as gold because he's right. Whether he was in the business or not, has nothing to do with his accuracy.

You are a tool, and NOW i will be ignoring you
Funny, this is like the second time you've said that now.

I find Gilbertti to be absolutely hilarious. He tells it like it is and gives respect only to the people he thinks deserve it. Why shouldn't he make fun of idiots who have no idea what they are talking about? Slyfox was 100% right. Here's my point: You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but don't assume that anybody else cares what you think or has to agree with you. They don't. If you don't like his style or what he says, then don't read the articles . Nobody is making you.

damn. slyfox with the ground and pound on poor iguy. let me address a couple of iguy's statements.
1) comparing tna's success to raw would be like comparing all reality shows to american idol. not a good argument. they have a way bigger budget than tna and if you think about it, spike tv is happy with tna, whereas wwe's networks have not been happy with their ratings.
2) what does the network booting ecw off have to do with tna? tna is not getting booted off spike.
3) even i have no clue what tna's ppv buyrates are.
4) please expound on my record behind the scenes, specifically with things that i've been responsible for. i would suggest you probably know absolutely nothing about what my role has been behind the scenes in the wrestling business.
5) you're saying you shouldn't take my word because i haven't been successful. would you take paul e. dangerously's word? has he been successful? who in the wrestling business's word would you take under your perception of their success?

question is disco an "internet fan"? seems he posts on this forum enough to be considered one. it just doesnt seem very professional to go onto fanbased forums and try and put people down just because they dont like or disagree with ur product. wouldnt it be smarter to listen to what fans have to say and take it into consideration since the fans are the ones that pay ur bills? just wondering how one of the "higher ups" justify coming onto a message board and arguing with fans, doesnt make much sense to me at all.

GG..........i highly doubt you don't know what the buys of your PPV's are.......because if you don't your clearly outside the loop when it comes to the direction of TNA and left out of the conversations on how to improve the product. Obviously somethings wrong when you have guys that CAN draw i.e AJ STYLES,MCMG,CC,KURT ANGLE,JOE etc. yet the numbers arent improving and the salaries are going higher. We all know what happens to a company when the talent makes more than the company. TNA got a name for itself pushing good wrestling over storylines.........now its pushing crappy storylines over I'd now say average wrestling. The only thing that Russo did good was book GG getting squashed in his "BIG" impact return.

GG..........i highly doubt you don't know what the buys of your PPV's are.......because if you don't your clearly outside the loop when it comes to the direction of TNA and left out of the conversations on how to improve the product. Obviously somethings wrong when you have guys that CAN draw i.e AJ STYLES,MCMG,CC,KURT ANGLE,JOE etc. yet the numbers arent improving and the salaries are going higher. We all know what happens to a company when the talent makes more than the company. TNA got a name for itself pushing good wrestling over storylines.........now its pushing crappy storylines over I'd now say average wrestling. The only thing that Russo did good was book GG getting squashed in his "BIG" impact return.

don't you think that if i knew them, then alot more epople would know them, and they'd more than likely become public knowledge? you haven't posted on this forum much, but other posters will let you know that it's very easy to get on my bad side when you accuse me of lying. you make some generaliztions, like how tna got a name of itself. one of the main problems i have with internet fans is they really like to act like they know what they're talking about, when the reality is that they don't.

I think Disco is one of the most misunderstood people here. When people trash TNA on every new idea they come with, I can see how TNA officials would just start laughing it off. I for one LOVED the ladder match and the ending. I though the fans completely ruined it by yelling fire russo. It was a great storyline because 1) It got The beautiful people heat 2) Roxxi is now super-over with the crowd and 3) It gives us a good match for the next ppv. So whoever wrote that KUDOS to you!

As far as the internet, I think people are overly critical of wrestling in general. Its entertainment. I don't watch 24 and think "oh man... they screwed up the wiring in episode 39 scene 5... it should've been Green Blue Red not Red Green Blue. THOSE IDIOTS. let me flame them now" It doesn't mean you shouldn't have an opinion, it just means give things a chance.

For example: I love Curry Man. I could care less if its Daniels or not. He is entertaining out of the ring, his promos are hilarious (with reference to Steve Corino [PS someone find me that promo on youtube its absolutely great]), and it gives Daniels something else to do now especially since his fallen angel and Triple X gimmick were getting stale and old. On the other hand, I find Eric Young the most annoying character on the planet because its too one dimensional and predictable. A wrestler afraid of wrestlers. Meh Doesn't really seem interesting to me. And as proven by the recent breakdown of ratings a lot of people are getting tired of Eric Young. But I digress...

Sure a lot of things Glen says can be misconstrued as mindless self defense and indulgence of his own ego, but how do you know your ideas are better? And furthermore do you go up to a cop and tell him how to do his job? The internet has become filled with more negativity then positive comments and add-ons. Everyone tries to be a so-called expert and won't let the actual experts give their expertise on the situation. A damn shame.

Sorry I'm just upset how a company with so much upside has went into the crapper........the product is suffering.....and the talent that's "over" the most take a backseat while guys i wish just crawled into a hole and never laced thier boots up again (Steiner,Nash etc.) are getting a hero's push. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the connection between old washed up WCW guys and the old washed up WCW booker thats putting them in those spots. Every TNA fan I know started thier TNA DVD collection with the best of the X-DIVISION. If i wanted to see Nash and Steiner in main-event roles I'd subscribe to WWE 24/7, instead i want to see good wrestling featuring young and upcoming talent that i can get behind and root for and watch their carreer develop and blossom into an "A" performer (ROBERT ROODE)

However, i'm starting to realize that TNA might no longer be the option I'm looking for.....UNTIL RUSSO GETS FIRED!!!!!!!

I think Disco is one of the most misunderstood people here. When people trash TNA on every new idea they come with, I can see how TNA officials would just start laughing it off. I for one LOVED the ladder match and the ending. I though the fans completely ruined it by yelling fire russo. It was a great storyline because 1) It got The beautiful people heat 2) Roxxi is now super-over with the crowd and 3) It gives us a good match for the next ppv. So whoever wrote that KUDOS to you!

As far as the internet, I think people are overly critical of wrestling in general. Its entertainment. I don't watch 24 and think "oh man... they screwed up the wiring in episode 39 scene 5... it should've been Green Blue Red not Red Green Blue. THOSE IDIOTS. let me flame them now" It doesn't mean you shouldn't have an opinion, it just means give things a chance.

For example: I love Curry Man. I could care less if its Daniels or not. He is entertaining out of the ring, his promos are hilarious (with reference to Steve Corino [PS someone find me that promo on youtube its absolutely great]), and it gives Daniels something else to do now especially since his fallen angel and Triple X gimmick were getting stale and old. On the other hand, I find Eric Young the most annoying character on the planet because its too one dimensional and predictable. A wrestler afraid of wrestlers. Meh Doesn't really seem interesting to me. And as proven by the recent breakdown of ratings a lot of people are getting tired of Eric Young. But I digress...

Sure a lot of things Glen says can be misconstrued as mindless self defense and indulgence of his own ego, but how do you know your ideas are better? And furthermore do you go up to a cop and tell him how to do his job? The internet has become filled with more negativity then positive comments and add-ons. Everyone tries to be a so-called expert and won't let the actual experts give their expertise on the situation. A damn shame.

good point. funny how these forums are filled with haters, i get on the haters for hatin', and I'M the heel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back