• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[OFFICIAL] Bret Hart is the new WWE United States Champion

I agree with most of the posts here. I don't think Bret will have the title for long. I expect he'll relinquish the title this Sunday at the PPV and either retire the belt (don't think so) or set up a tournament for it (which I expect Bryan Danielson, not Daniel Bryan, to be a part of). It's likely just some cheap pops, giving Bret Hart one last title, especially in Canada, before hanging up the boots for good.

I do believe, though, it cheapens the US title a little, when someone of Bret's age and health, can win it. I realize it's kayfabe, but even still, you need to keep the illusion of reality. Sure, the Miz will likely go on and team up with Jericho to win tag team titles (again), but I think people are wrong if they think the Miz will enter the main event scene on RAW now that's he's lost the "lesser" belt.

Plus, it's a little inconsistent to blast TNA (as I frequently do) for putting titles on old guys and involving the old guys too much in the picture, while saying it's OK to give Bret Hart any title at this stage of his career. The difference, I realize, is that it won't be a prolonged run for Hart, unlike Hogan, Flair, Sting, and the Band who will be front and centre for months to come. But still, you cannot complain about TNA featuring Hogan while saying it's OK for WWE to feature Hart, albeit only briefly.

I thought the kayfabe part was protected perfectly. The Sharpshooter is a legitimate and dangerous move, that has a well known history in the WWF/E. It can beat anyone at any time. That's what happened last night.

And Bret's health is a mystery to me. So many rumors. I know he's a stroke survivor, and has physical limitations, but what is unknown is if Bret cannot TRULY wrestle because of them, or if Bret doesnt traditionally wrestle out of fear of having another stroke, which is 100% understandable. We all know of guys who have wrestled again despite "career ending" injuries. Flair, Austin, HBK, and Steamboat all wrestled again despite risking partial paralysis. Mr. Perfect came back after a career ending injury. So did dozens of others, and many more will.

I will say though, aside from Teddy Bruschi who is an NFL player, i don't know of anyone who has competed despite a stroke risk, which to me says that Bret's condition is the most dangerous....

I thought the kayfabe part was protected perfectly. The Sharpshooter is a legitimate and dangerous move, that has a well known history in the WWF/E. It can beat anyone at any time. That's what happened last night.

And Bret's health is a mystery to me. So many rumors. I know he's a stroke survivor, and has physical limitations, but what is unknown is if Bret cannot TRULY wrestle because of them, or if Bret doesnt traditionally wrestle out of fear of having another stroke, which is 100% understandable. We all know of guys who have wrestled again despite "career ending" injuries. Flair, Austin, HBK, and Steamboat all wrestled again despite risking partial paralysis. Mr. Perfect came back after a career ending injury. So did dozens of others, and many more will.

I will say though, aside from Teddy Bruschi who is an NFL player, i don't know of anyone who has competed despite a stroke risk, which to me says that Bret's condition is the most dangerous....

Sure, the kayfabe part was pretty well done, and don't get me wrong, as a longtime Canadian wrestling fan, I enjoyed seeing Bret win another belt last night. It has to be questioned, though, how realistic it is for Bret to even be in a position to apply the sharpshooter in the first place. I realize it was no-DQ and he had outside help but even still, for Bret Hart, at his age and health, to apply a sharpshooter to a prominent current wrestler like the Miz, it seems a little TNA-ish to me, and that's not a compliment.

There's really not much mystery about Bret's health, he suffered a career-ending stroke. Even if I wanted to look beyond this, there's no getting beyond the fact that he's old and out of shape. It's sad seeing guys well past their physical primes continuing in the ring. Now I know Bret is not "continuing" in the ring per se. It just seems inconsistent to me to fault TNA for having Hogan or Flair or the Band in the ring, whereas it's OK to have Bret Hart in the ring. That's all I'm saying.

I know he's a stroke survivor, and has physical limitations, but what is unknown is if Bret cannot TRULY wrestle because of them, or if Bret doesnt traditionally wrestle out of fear of having another stroke, which is 100% understandable.

The stroke, coupled with the fact he's 52 years old is probably a more complete explanation of why he doesn't wrestle anymore. The other folks you named (including Bruschi) were far younger when they had their problems.

Mr. Perfect came back after a career ending injury.

Then it wasn't a career ending injury.

The stroke, coupled with the fact he's 52 years old is probably a more complete explanation of why he doesn't wrestle anymore. The other folks you named (including Bruschi) were far younger when they had their problems.

Then it wasn't a career ending injury.

I agree with you. I believe deep down in my bones that Bret could still "go", but the risk of suffering another stroke is why he doesn't leave it to chance.

can anyone explain to me what the point was for michael cole to go out of his way and be upset about bret

A. coming back and being in the match in the first place
B. bret winning the title

i had never seen cole so upset and blatantly bash hart for everything that happened last night. is this going to set something up in the future? i was totally surprised cole acted like that.

can anyone explain to me what the point was for michael cole to go out of his way and be upset about bret

A. coming back and being in the match in the first place
B. bret winning the title

i had never seen cole so upset and blatantly bash hart for everything that happened last night. is this going to set something up in the future? i was totally surprised cole acted like that.

I'm glad somebody asked that. I was about to do the same thing.

Are they trying to turn Cole heel? He blatantly bashed the match at WM and Bret in general. WTF. I wonder if his actions were scripted or did he let it slip that he honestly has something against hart.

I'm glad somebody asked that. I was about to do the same thing.

Are they trying to turn Cole heel? He blatantly bashed the match at WM and Bret in general. WTF. I wonder if his actions were scripted or did he let it slip that he honestly has something against hart.

i'm sure it was scripted. it isn't like he let a one-liner accidently slip out. he talked about it for awhile while bret was celebrating. i'm not sure where they are going to take it though. cole doesn't seem like the type that would go over as a heel announcer. he's too "blase'" for the role.

Kind of reminds me of when Bret was feuding with Jerry Lawler. Lawler would make jokes about Bret's family and stuff. I could see cole going down that route. Whats next, Bret vs Cole??

Sadly, I could see this happening. Bret would go over and this way the "E" wouldn't have to squash another wrestler. I am getting a bit tired of the fact that anytime Bret is involved lately, they make him out to be way too dominant. I know he's had help, but come on. Is it possible to have him win and not make the other wrestler look weak?

The Michael Cole thing surely is scripted. With Vince McMahon screaming in the headsets of his announcers, I doubt Cole would be allowed to get away with ad libbing.

Also, many in this forum have complained that Cole is too bland as an announcer. Maybe they're trying to change that......and that's good. At any rate, they've got us talking about him, right?

Sadly, I could see this happening. Bret would go over and this way the "E" wouldn't have to squash another wrestler. I am getting a bit tired of the fact that anytime Bret is involved lately, they make him out to be way too dominant. I know he's had help, but come on. Is it possible to have him win and not make the other wrestler look weak?

with hart being limited in the ring, the only way they can have him face anyone and it be legitimate is to have him get help, which will continue the squashing of major stars. this is why i wish they would bring back hart as the full time gm. he can still be a major part of storylines, but not have to wrestle anyone.

i do hope he comes back in some form. he seemed much more comfortable on the mic and looked like he was legitimately having fun in his segment with jericho.

with hart being limited in the ring, the only way they can have him face anyone and it be legitimate is to have him get help, which will continue the squashing of major stars. this is why i wish they would bring back hart as the full time gm. he can still be a major part of storylines, but not have to wrestle anyone.

i do hope he comes back in some form. he seemed much more comfortable on the mic and looked like he was legitimately having fun in his segment with jericho.

I agree and when Buzz announced the GM would be here next week on Raw and then Brett won the US Title (don't remember which happened 1st), I thought it was set up perfectly for him to be the GM. He could make his 1st order of buisness to set up a US Title Tournament. Then he could go on to make life for Miz and Jericho hell!!

The Michael Cole thing surely is scripted. With Vince McMahon screaming in the headsets of his announcers, I doubt Cole would be allowed to get away with ad libbing.

Also, many in this forum have complained that Cole is too bland as an announcer. Maybe they're trying to change that......and that's good. At any rate, they've got us talking about him, right?

i would say this is to set up danielson coming in and their being a bret/hart dynasty/danielson vs. jerimiz CLUSTER fuck fued. If Cole becomes a heel and bashes one of the biggest legends then it will make danielson (who is the only other face he would bash) look like he is a great guy. This will turn into something that is great mark my words. If you put a UP and coming team with a legend and the best technical wrestler against two of the greatest talkers and one of them is also a legend, then you get an instant classic feud. Watch as you will be amazed

I just watched the match again (I was already DVR'ing Raw, LOL!) and I was just as puzzled as to why Cole went off on Bret. I can understand if they want him to go "heel" or something but it doesn't make sense when not 2 minutes before his "rant", he was calling Jericho and Miz parasites for what looked to be a 2 on 1 beat down of Bret. I like the idea of a "heel" announcer but not when they mess it up like last night! That's just my opinion

I personally was upset with the outcome of the match, as i am loving the miz character and dont see the point of Bret winning the US title. Just because it was in Canada dosnt seem like much of an argument to me. I suppose it furthers the fued between Jericho and Miz with The Hart Dynesty but i just dont think giving Bret the US title was worth anything.

It is true that the US title is near meaningless nowadays but Miz still held it for a reason and used it to as a tool to propell himself, what can Bret do with it, nothing in my opinion.

Even though I'm Canadian, I let out a long sigh when Bret won the title last night. Especially since the match itself was so horribly scripted from the run-ins to the way it ended. And why is it every time Bret locks in the sharpshooter whoever's on the receiving end taps right away? I've always figured it looks more believable if the guy looks like he's trying to fight it for at least 10-15 seconds and then taps... anyway I'm not happy with Bret winning the title at all. He's a 52 year old man who obviously can't actually wrestle a match anymore, and the whole thing is just ridiculous. It was great to see him come back in January, but when he beat Vince at WM I thought that was it.
What I'm basically saying is that Bret has really overstayed his welcome. It's great if he wants to continue making appearances on RAW and being the Hart Dynasty's manager or whatever, but don't give him titles and try to make it like he's still got that wrestling ability in him. Especially when you book it so that it looks like he can beat the Miz with a weak version of the sharpshooter.
Another title's value gone down the drain...remember what happened to the Cruiserweight Title after Hornswoggle won it. jhakjdhakdhakjh WWE really pisses me off sometimes.

Even though I'm Canadian, I let out a long sigh when Bret won the title last night. Especially since the match itself was so horribly scripted from the run-ins to the way it ended. And why is it every time Bret locks in the sharpshooter whoever's on the receiving end taps right away? I've always figured it looks more believable if the guy looks like he's trying to fight it for at least 10-15 seconds and then taps... anyway I'm not happy with Bret winning the title at all. He's a 52 year old man who obviously can't actually wrestle a match anymore, and the whole thing is just ridiculous. It was great to see him come back in January, but when he beat Vince at WM I thought that was it.
What I'm basically saying is that Bret has really overstayed his welcome. It's great if he wants to continue making appearances on RAW and being the Hart Dynasty's manager or whatever, but don't give him titles and try to make it like he's still got that wrestling ability in him. Especially when you book it so that it looks like he can beat the Miz with a weak version of the sharpshooter.
Another title's value gone down the drain...remember what happened to the Cruiserweight Title after Hornswoggle won it. jhakjdhakdhakjh WWE really pisses me off sometimes.

You honestly feel that Bret Hart's win actually DISCREDITS the title? What planet are you on, anyway? You mean to tell me that the Miz holding onto the title for months without defending it didn't discredit it? As far as I'm concerned, Bret's win is exactly what the title needed!

Bret Hart is a Canadian LEGEND. The guy is more popular and more well-known than the Canadian president. He and the Canadian crowd were given the ultimate sign of appreciation by allowing Bret to take the title. I'm sure that a plan is in place for the title belt to go up in a tournament of some sort in order to justify it's champion. The Miz, although masterful on the microphone and incredible with his star power, did NOTHING with the US title.

I bet that you couldn't even tell me who he beat for it without looking at Wikipedia. On the other hand, no will will forget that Bret Hart won the title from the Miz. Yeah, exactly. Stick THAT in your pipes and smoke it.

Other people on here have complained that having Bret win his "matches" the way they do, make Bret look too dominant. I thought Miz tapped early, but whatever. In kayfabe, the Sharpshooter is a move that can beat you at any time..so it's not weird to me seeing a former wrestler slap on his finishing move that still hurts. On the contrary, always having help makes him look weak IMO. Bret should have beat Miz like that on his own. He could have got a beatdown from Miz, hit a low blow or a spine buster or something to even the tide, then slap on his finisher.
I thought it made Bret look weak having him go down and stay down from a single punch, and then all of a sudden he is well enough to slap on the sharpshooter. That's the only complaint I had.

Other than that, it looks to me like Bret has looked more comfortable each time he has gotten in the ring. One day, somehow, we may see a more normal match from him, as long as he protects his head.

As far as Bret falling on the turnbuckle, I think he just misjudged his step and was caught up in the moment so to speak. I have seen stone cold do the same thing, and shrug it off like it was nothing...

Other people on here have complained that having Bret win his "matches" the way they do, make Bret look too dominant. I thought Miz tapped early, but whatever. In kayfabe, the Sharpshooter is a move that can beat you at any time..so it's not weird to me seeing a former wrestler slap on his finishing move that still hurts.

I thought it made Bret look weak having him go down and stay down from a single punch, and then all of a sudden he is well enough to slap on the sharpshooter. That's the only complaint I had.

Let's be honest here... don't you think you might be nit-picking just a LITTLE BIT too much here?? Do you honestly think that the average viewer gives two flying squirts of piss about your excessively detailed analyzation? Sorry, but if it takes THAT much effort for the WWE to win your viewership, I don't think they'd mind if you just turned on another television program.

I didn't think about that stuff for one split second. I was too busy being entertained. God forbid.

Other than that, it looks to me like Bret has looked more comfortable each time he has gotten in the ring. One day, somehow, we may see a more normal match from him, as long as he protects his head.

Highly doubtful, otherwise it would've been done at Wrestlemania. Don't ya think?

As far as Bret falling on the turnbuckle, I think he just misjudged his step and was caught up in the moment so to speak. I have seen stone cold do the same thing, and shrug it off like it was nothing...

Agreed. I laughed and felt bad all at the same time.

Thing about Bret is, and it's been said umpteen million times is that he cannot wrestle any more. All of the skills are there, but they're rusted solid and Bret himself can't take anything more forceful than a worked punch. He can't take headbumps, he cant take back bumps and that pretty much eliminates most of a wrestler's arsenal. Especially when we consider that Irish Whips count as back bumps (bouncing off the ropes or hitting the turnbuckles) and clotheslines are ruled out anyway (as he'd have to take a back bump).

As for Bret as US champ, like the Wrestlemania match it's not about the reign itself. Nor is it about Bret adding one more notch to the bedpost. It's about finishing off the emotional baggage of Montreal. 'Mania was about Bret taking out his anger at being screwed a decade ago, as well as everything that happened because of it; and this is Bret doing what he promised ten years ago (i.e. coming to the next Raw, and dropping the title when he wasn't contractually obligated to). After that's done, Bret can officially move move on and say that he's done everything he's ewanted in the buisness and won't show up again unless he's one of the 'famous fans' in the crowd.

Thing about Bret is, and it's been said umpteen million times is that he cannot wrestle any more. All of the skills are there, but they're rusted solid and Bret himself can't take anything more forceful than a worked punch. He can't take headbumps, he cant take back bumps and that pretty much eliminates most of a wrestler's arsenal. Especially when we consider that Irish Whips count as back bumps (bouncing off the ropes or hitting the turnbuckles) and clotheslines are ruled out anyway (as he'd have to take a back bump).

As for Bret as US champ, like the Wrestlemania match it's not about the reign itself. Nor is it about Bret adding one more notch to the bedpost. It's about finishing off the emotional baggage of Montreal. 'Mania was about Bret taking out his anger at being screwed a decade ago, as well as everything that happened because of it; and this is Bret doing what he promised ten years ago (i.e. coming to the next Raw, and dropping the title when he wasn't contractually obligated to). After that's done, Bret can officially move move on and say that he's done everything he's ewanted in the buisness and won't show up again unless he's one of the 'famous fans' in the crowd.

I agree with your analysis. I have actually made scenarios in my head of the kind of back and forth match that Bret could safely have, but regardless, at least we all agree that the skills are still there, but there is the issue of if wrestling as normal would cause another stroke. 50/50 chance on that, but it's not worth it to find out.

As has been said, the stroke was his biggest problem. Taking info from Bret's book, he told us that he had finally been cleared to start training again in 2002, and he may have been on the verge of attempting a wrestling comeback, as his headaches and stuff had finally subsided from the concussion. The stroke ended all of that.

That being said, I'm happy for Bret to finally have the closure he deserves. I'm not sure if he will ever get in the ring again, even for storyline purposes like hes done...

After seeing what happened live, I was kinda thinking Hart will introduce Danielson or someone else, he didn't really fight, but wow, it was kinda exciting to watch, all the action, with regal and kozlov getting involved and jericho aswell, i guess well Bret is now a 5-time us champion...now i think he won't defend it and will vacate the title or hand it to someone, becuase lets be honest, wasn't this bret's last show, and we don't see him defending the title do we??

Ok this is a great thing for bret hart and the us title.
In away i think its more of vince giving back to bret hart for the screw job. This is how the wwe title was suppose to go when bret was going to wcw at the time. So in away i think vince did the best he could do for bret and try to hold up his part of the deal the made in the past only difference is know is that it was for the us title. what do you guys think?

I wouldn't say that this happening has discredited or ruined the prestige of the US title, but I find it hard to see what WWE will do next with it.

Unless, they finally let Bret do what he wanted to do following Survivor Series '97, and abdicate his title, leaving on his own terms. That would make me smile, and would really quell all aspects remaining of Montreal.

As a huge Hitman fan, this is awesome. Yes the match was not very good, yes Bret is a shadow of his former self.
But its Bret Fucking Hart, one of the greatest of all time. Is he really any worse than some of the other U.S. Champs we have had. Jim Duggan, One Man Gang, or Steve McMichael?

I'm sure just like the majority of posters here it was a bitter sweet thing to watch.

On one hand you're glad to see Bret Hart leave on a High Note in Canada to make up for the MSJ (well nothing will make up, but they did do a lot for the man to try to get him to forgive)

On the other you just had Bret Hart make the Miz (one of you're most over stars) submit within 2 seconds of the move being applied. This is the same finisher that guys like Austin and Owen stayed in for close to a minute before tapping/getting to the ropes/going unconscious. I just think the spot should of been better done.. in my mind it was a cluster...

So many questions of mine were going on during it..

A) What happened to Kozlov and Regal? It's almost like the Hart's came out and hit them with a couple rights and they went down for the rest of the segment?

B) Once again just like Kozlov and Regal... why was Jericho down that long..

I personally thought they had so much more to gain with Bret pulling the swerve and announcing the debut of Bryan Danielson (not Daniel Bryan) as his replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back