NXT Review and Aftermath Thread

Yes I loved how Nakamura did the full entrance in that segment talking to Aries. He should be treated as an "anomaly" and keep his promos brief.

"Yeah I stabbed you in the back, it was the only place I could because you turned your back on me" what a line from Joe! Loved him in the whole thing and mentioning all of the past events like the Dusty classic was great.

Nia should've laid far more of a beat down on Asuka IMO, it was weird how Asuka has been booked completely dominant (except against Eva Marie lol) and yet one powerbomb lays her out completely. I really want Nia to win this one in the screwiest way possible.

NXT Takeover: The End

I meant to get this up sooner but it's been a really busy week. So on June 8th, NXT held another Takeover event with the odd sub-title of "The End". I didn't expect it to be better than Dallas, however it's a Takeover event and they have yet to disappoint. This one didn't either.

Andrade Almas VS Tye Dillinger
This was an ok opener. I wanted Dillinger to win though.

American Alpha VS The Revival (NXT Tag Team Championship)
Awesome match, right up to the unexpected finish. Even though I prefer American Alpha, I was fine with the finish. The Revival made history with their win here and I'm excited to see what comes next for both teams.

Austin Aries VS Shinsuke Nakamura
This was the match of the night for me. The match with Sami was much better, although this one delivered and lived up to the hype. Check it out if you have not seen it yet!

Asuka VS Nia Jax (NXT Women's Championship)
Worst match of the night, and it wasn't Asuka's fault. You can blame Nia Jax for that. She still sucks. Alexa Bliss should have gotten the title shot instead because she can actually wrestle. Hopefully Asuka has a better challenger next time around.

Finn Balor VS Samoa Joe (Steel Cage match for the NXT Championship)
This was pretty cool. Joe winning was the right call, especially since Finn has to be headed to the main roster soon. There's nothing left for him to do in NXT other than possibly feud with Hideo if/when he returns. The fact that their Dallas match was better did not stop me from enjoying this one. Another one that I recommend you check out if you missed out on it.

Overall Thoughts
Another fun Takeover event. Aside from the strange name and the Women's Championship match, it was pretty solid. Dallas, London, and Brooklyn were all better so it was a step down when compared to bigger events.... If you missed this event then check out the Tag Team Championship match, Nakamura VS Aries, and the NXT Championship match.

ヒュー G. レックション;5523405 said:
I've not watched this week's NXT yet but just wanted to say I really LOVED the Alexa Bliss vs Carmella match. Probably my favourite women's match I've seen this year! Everytinin itnwasbgreat and well done. Well the crowd didn't really give a shit until the end, which is a shame.
Same here.

I too enjoyed this match a lot. Both Carmella and Alexa Bliss have done what they are supposed to do at NxT and that's developing. NxT is a developmental territory and these two girls have upped their performance here. Bliss has been good as a cocky heel while Carmella has been fine as an underdog face. And I really love both girls' finishers too.

And I am really glad to see such a depth in tag team division in NxT at this time. I like all four teams out there and it feels good to see tag division get main event time.

Just watched Nakamura Vs. Balor match. I really liked the match. It was refreshing to see Balor dominating a match and Nakamura being dominated for some time.

No-selling surely was a negative factor of this match. Nakamura just forgetting to sell his knee was dumb. Even Balor no-selled a roundhouse kick from Nakamura.

It sureky would have been an A for me if not for No-selling. Still It's a B+ or B at least.

I have been loving Samoa Joe's badass title reign. He is all Roman Reigns should have been in my opinion.

I wanted to review nxt takeover brooklyn 2 but since their no real thread to review the whole event I decided to right my review here.

first, the austin aries vs no way jose match: it was a really good opener and properly the best match in austin aries nxt career so far but my problem with this match and it was a something that was happens a lot in the first part of the show, it was the crowd reaction which was very distracting since tjey we're cheering for the indy gus that was suppose to be the heel and it didn't help get jose over in this match at all. Having itami come out after the match didn't help matters either and again the wasted a guy that has potential to be over with the crowd to please the hardcore fans.

bllie kay vs ember moon: really good indy style match between those 2 but I saw better between them in shimmer and it really felt like a place holder more then anything.

bobby roode vs A.C.A: again decent match not great and the crowd reaction really took me out of this match, roode is suppose to be a heel and again the crowd gave him a babyface entrance, roode should have tries to turn the crowd against him instead of playing to the crowd.

the revival vs champa and gargano: best match on the show in my opinion and they found a way to make a predictable outcome interesting.

bailey vs asuka: not as good as their first match and even not as good as bailey's match at last year's nxt brooklyn but still a good match but the predictable outcome took away from the match a little bit.

samoa joe vs shinsuke nakamura: again the same as the last 2 takeover special when asuka was following a nakamura match, the fact was that following asuka's match did hurt this match a little since but match felt the same. The ending was really good but in the ebd, I was taken ot of this match a little bit bcause of the predictable outcome and I just waned to see how nakamura would win the title.

in the end, this takeover special was pretty good but not on the stander of last year's nxt brooklyn but it's been a constent thing with those takeover special this year.

NXT Takeover Brooklyn II

I meant to get this review up sooner but have been busy in recent weeks. Better delayed than never. The show had a really tough task in following up to last year's fantastic Takeover event held in Brooklyn. It wasn't as good as last year's although it set the pace for the Summerslam weekend nicely.

Austin Aries VS No Way Jose
A good choice for an opener. While I still don't like No Way Jose all that much, he did better than expected here. Hideo showing up to hit the GTS was also really cool.

Billie Kay VS Ember Moon
A good debut for Ember Moon and Billie has improved. Weakest match of the night, yet on an NXT Takeover card that remains a spot that's rarely bad. The other matches are just that much better.

Andrade Almas VS Bobby Roode
I don't care about Andrade whatsoever, Roode made the match better. Can't wait to see what is next for him in NXT.

Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa VS The Revival [NXT Tag Team Championship]
This was the match of the night. Very strong effort by both teams and The Revival proved why they are still the best.

Asuka VS Bayley [NXT Women's Championship]
It would have been nearly impossible for this to top last year's NXT Women's Championship match in Brooklyn. Highly enjoyable nonetheless.

Samoa Joe VS Shinsuke Nakamura [NXT Championship]
A fitting main event and Shinsuke winning was certainly the right call. I liked having the violinist there for the entrance, it was a cool addition. Didn't top last year's Ladder match main event however you should still check it out if you have yet to see it.

Overall Thoughts
My thoughts have not changed at all in the weeks that have passed since I watched the show during Summerslam weekend. We are at a point now when you expect greatness with any Takeover event. This one was not any different. A step up from Takeover The End, but not quite as good as last year's Brooklyn event. If for some reason you've missed out on this show you should check it out when you get a chance.

NxT: 5 October 2016

Authors Of Pain get rid of Bollywood Boyz in the first round of Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic. I would have Authors Of Pain get some more time instead of just squashing every now & them.

Rich Swann and Patrick had a good match in which Swann won. That spinning superkick is awesome and so is Swann in the ring. Patrick was fine too.

Peyton Royce defeated Danielle Kamela. I am liking this heel duo of Peyton & Billie Kay. Peyton surely was impressive. The move executed at ring apron was damn good. The match was slow at times, I guess Danielle was the one who was slow.

Bobby Roode not letting Tye Dillinger speak much showcases that Perfectly Glorious isn't going to survive much long.

Dan Matha is quite huge, man. As mentioned by other posters in NxT thread, it wasn't a right way to debut a big monster. I am all in for Samoa Joe's badass run but this was a wrong person out here.

Revival defeated a makeshift team of Alexander and Almas in a good Ist round match. Almas turned heel after the match which was damn right decision.

Also I agree with Isenberg that Nakamura's absence on NxT TV is illogical as he has been competing in house shows.

NXT Takeover Toronto

I was very excited for this event going into it. The card looked great plus between this and the Survivor Series event tomorrow, it's a good weekend to be a wrestling fan. It, for the most part, lived up to expectations.

Bobby Roode VS Tye Dillinger
This was a really fun opener. Roode's choir for his entrance was a great addition and helped add to the big event feel of the evening. Tye was booked strongly and I thought for a moment there that he might win this. Roode winning was the right call. He should be on his way to an NXT Championship shot soon.

Authors of Pain VS TM61 (Dusty Rhodes Classic Final - With Paul Ellering In A Cage Above The Ring)
Yeah, this was.... a weird match. I don't get what anyone sees in the Authors Of Pain. They are better than the typical big monster heels, but I don't find anything they do entertaining. Ellering managing them helps although not that much. Anyway, this was the weakest match of the night. Ellering being in the cage above the ring seemed pointless and just made everything more complicated. TM61's unintentional connection to Pokemon was made even more ironic by the red and blue outfits that the team wore. Skip this match, nothing to see here other than the weird cage stipulation.

DIY VS The Revival [NXT Tag Team Championship]
This was incredible. After their match in Brooklyn I knew the rematch was likely to be good, but my goodness this exceeded expectations. I would even go as far as to say that this was one of the best tag team matches I have ever seen. I'd imagine that The Revival are done now and get promoted to Smackdown. There's nothing left for them to do on NXT. Let them restart their feud with American Alpha on the main roster. I bet DIY face the Authors next. Maybe DIY can get a good match out of the Authors if they go that route, we'll see. Loved this match. Tag team greatness is the only way it can be described. Go watch it if you missed out on it.

Asuka VS Mickie James [NXT Women's Championship]
How do you follow an incredible Tag Team Championship match? By putting your dominant Women's Champion against a legendary former Women's Champion who just returned, that's how. It was great to see Mickie James in a WWE ring again. She put forth a great effort and Asuka got the retention she needed. Didn't like the arrogance shown by Asuka when Mickie offered the handshake, could that be a heel turn? We'll see. Ember Moon will probably be the next challenger and the one who finally dethrones her. I hope Mickie stays. It would greatly benefit the current NXT girls to work with someone like her.

This started out good but the ending ruined it for me. Nakamura having the violinists for his entrance was a great addition and I really enjoyed that. As for the match, I can't fathom why they would have Joe win this. You can only have one person to be the first 2 time NXT Champion. I didn't even agree with Joe winning the title the first time, let alone this time. Of all the people on the roster, why would he get this honor? He doesn't deserve it. Nakamura should have retained. Unless they are planning to promote Nakamura to the main roster very soon, that was a really bad call. I legit laughed out loud at the mistake they made on playing Joe's awful old entrance theme upon the win. Random dance music never did fit well with Joe.

Overall Thoughts
Despite disagreeing with the ending, this was a fun show. There has yet to be an NXT Takeover event that's not above average in quality. I would say it was a step up from Brooklyn, when looked at as a whole, because of the fantastic Tag Team Championship match as well as the opener and Mickie VS Asuka. Watch all three of those if you missed out on this event. Or better yet, watch the whole thing other than the Dusty Classic Finale, since the NXT Championship match might still be up your alley as well. I didn't really like it, although others did.

NXT Takeover Toronto

So glad to finally see NXT come to Toronto and what a show they put on last night. Almost all of the matches were better than most you see on the main roster, and the crowd was white hot for the whole night. So here are my thoughts on this event.

Roode's entrance was in a word "GLORIOUS", what with the choir and all it seemed to go on forever I'm not complaining though. The crowd didn't really know who to cheer louder for, so they just cheered both of our home town boys equally. Great fun match to open the show, got everyone going.

Authors of Pain VS TM61 (Dusty Rhodes Classic Final - With Paul Ellering In A Cage Above The Ring)

I'm not sure how I feel about the Authors of Pain. Somehow get the feeling that Paul Ellering is the one who is carrying them in a way. Both guys are good in the ring but kind of boring in a way. What I mean by that is neither one seems to have any personality at all. Maybe by the time they get the belts and get called up, they will have developed one. My thoughts are that's why Ellering is with them. TM61 for a relatively new team has a ways to go as well but they work well together and I expect good things from both.

Definitely the match of the night by far. With the near falls it was just fantastic. One of the best tag matches I've ever seen. The Revival needs to come up to the main roster, Smackdown preferably and feud with American Alpha. That will jump start their tag division as they kind of need it. When you have the Spirit Squad and the Headbangers that's a huge red flag that something has to change. Plus keep them off the RAW roster and let the former NXT writers handle them. I'm afraid we'll end up with another Ascension if they end up on RAW.

Mickie James looked wonderful last night and right at home in the WWE ring. She didn't miss a step and gave Asuka a match she could handle. The title was never really in jeopardy though because of the announcement that would be James only match. Hoping it will change and she sticks around. The NXT girls could use her to help them along. Now the biggest problem is who will Asuka face next? Since the draft she's the strongest one left and looks to hold the title for awhile. I suppose her next feud with be Ember Moon who will probably be the one to dethrone her eventually. Asuka needs to end up on Smackdown as well.

Love Nakamura's entrance and the crowd with right into it. Not really a fan of Samoa Joe's though, never have been, so the ending was a disappointment for me. I really thought Nakamura would hold the title till at least Mania and then drop it. The silver lining is though we might see Nakamura moving sooner rather than later. He's still a relatively young man, but not in wrestling years and if he's going to make the jump it should be soon. I doubt we'll ever see Joe on the main roster, he looked to spend the rest of his time in NXT and that's not a bad thing. He has tons of experience and it's needed.

Overall Thoughts

As with all of the Takeover events this one didn't disappoint. As I said we've been waiting for this for what seems like forever, and when you have a great show, good matches and a hot crowd it's a win win. My only regret was not actually being able to go down and see it in person that would have been a treat. But anyway there is always next time.

I was just wondering from somebody that was at the takeover show, Was that crowd actually reacting to something during the show because except for the opening match and the main event, on tv, i look like the crowd was sitting on their hand for most of the show, even the ending of the show felt like you had to process the ending before finally reacted to the samoa joe win.

The show was a really good show like always but 5 strong matches but on t.v anyway, i thought that the lack of reaction from the crowd took me out of the show.

I was just wondering from somebody that was at the takeover show, Was that crowd actually reacting to something during the show because except for the opening match and the main event, on tv, i look like the crowd was sitting on their hand for most of the show, even the ending of the show felt like you had to process the ending before finally reacted to the samoa joe win.

The show was a really good show like always but 5 strong matches but on t.v anyway, i thought that the lack of reaction from the crowd took me out of the show.

Are you seriously out of your mind man?

I was there, crowd was hot all night. Only match they weren't reacting to was AoP/TM61.

Are you seriously out of your mind man?

I was there, crowd was hot all night. Only match they weren't reacting to was AoP/TM61.

thanks man for the answer because it probably was a problem with the way the mic the place because on the network, it really didn't sounded like that. Like i said except for the main event and the opening match, i sounded like you weren'T reacting to anything.

thanks man for the answer because it probably was a problem with the way the mic the place because on the network, it really didn't sounded like that. Like i said except for the main event and the opening match, i sounded like you weren'T reacting to anything.

Hm, well I watched it again on the Network next day and I thought we were pretty loud. Of course, that could just be because I was actually there and am somewhat biased. But yeah, the crowd was really hot.

Very solid opening match. Both guys got big reactions for obvious reasons. Roode is completely in his element with his Glorious gimmick. If you look at his offence it's actually quite limited, but everything is calculated and meaningful. Nothing wasted. You can see why he's so fresh at 39. As for Dillinger, he still got over in losing by standing in the ring to get that ovation. That was nicely done.

I'm actually quite impressed with the AOP, they're athletic for big guys and I like their intensity. But this was more about Ellering, and they've got to be careful to strike the balance between him getting AOP over, and getting himself over. I also don't think that TM61 should be getting in that much offence against what are supposed to be a physically dominant tag team. That said, the match was impressive in parts and quite entertaining.

What a match. This really is as good as it gets. They pretty much captured everything from the storyline/feud, previous match. I completely suspended my disbelief. At one point I genuinely thought Gargano was gonna tap to the reverse figure 4 - and they had you guessing all match. Everything was about winning and the emotion was absolutely unreal. The sequences and near falls were perfect. Both teams have impeccable timing. I didn't see any moves that would have put any guys at risk of injury. This was wrestling at its very best and the match of the year.

This was also really good, and James doesn't look like she's been away for five minutes. She really showed what a professional she is here and matched up to Asuka perfectly. I thought the finish was a bit sloppy though - seems like they'd run out of momentum about 2-3 minutes before and I'd preferred to have finished then. But I'm nitpicking, and to keep the crowd entertained after that incredible tag match was highly commendable.

An absolutely brutal match. Both guys were stiffing the hell out of each other. Very realistic and I thought this was actually better than the last match they had. As for Joe, up until recently I've always been a little skeptical but I've loved his work recently as they've built him up to be a monster. The finish was a surprise to many but it fits perfectly with the direction they're taking his character.

Great show. The entire presentation of NXT is perfect and they seems to be really serious about protecting kayfabe which really is a dying art these days. Everything is about winning and the characters are developed in a way which makes people care. I love NXT.

NXT Takeover Toronto was the first WWE special I've watched in full completion since Money in the Bank, I believe. This show was awesome. The crowd was hot for the whole thing and it was just a very fun show to watch.

Bobby Roode vs Tye Dillinger

Bobby Roode's entrances are absolutely amazing for these specials. Tye Dillinger is the shit, it's really cool how he's been growing on the fans and getting more and more over. While I'm disappointed Tye lost, I think he can fit well in a Sami Zayn role of getting so close... but not close enough. His backstory also helps as he really is an underdog. As for the actual match itself, it started off well as they were just beating the shit out of each other and then the last couple of minutes with the teased fucked finish onwards was awesome. Very good opener.

TM61 vs Authors of Pain

This was the worst match on the show, but when the worst match is a fine little tag match, the show is pretty great. TM61 is still a CAW tag team to me, but they're starting to do flippies which get over well and that spot with Thorne (?) jumping from the metal jigamabob was pretty cool. Authors of Pain are a good hoss team, but the match was just weird in the sense that Miller was basically manhandling one of the Authors. The thing with them is that the AOP can sell well but still be absolute monsters, but this time they took a Matanza role and just got completely whipped by this one guy and it just felt off. Regardless, it wasn't bad and it wasn't spectacular, it did its job.

#DIY vs Revival

Match of the night, MOTYC and this has surpassed Naito vs Omega to be my personal favorite match of the year. The Revival are such bastards and it's a thing of beauty. We get so used to the bullshit finishes on the main-roster that when NXT goes for one, you buy into it and then it's just them baiting you. It really gets you invested in the match and I was on the edge of my seat for this thing. Excellent storytelling with the callback spot from their last match together, and I thought Gargano was actually going to tap. This match is very very very good. Also, I had no idea that this was 2/3 falls coming in, but shit this match was something

Asuka vs Mickie James

Good match, Mickie James is still awesome and she looks wonderful. Not sure where Mickie goes from here though, maybe she'll have a rematch on TV or at another Takeover with Asuka before the inevitable Asuka vs Ember Moon match. This was a match I had to rewatch because upon the first watch it was alright, but once I watched it again it was very good.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Samoa Joe

Absolutely physical match. These guys were beating the shit out of each other and it was fun to watch. Nakamura no-selling the leg at certain points was annoying as he seems to have a habit of doing that. I was very surprised they had Nak lose, I thought for sure he'd last longer as champ but Samoa Joe is my favorite guy in NXT and he's been absolutely fire with this angle so I'm glad he's a two-time champ.

Overall, this show is probably my personal favorite Takeover. Top to bottom the card was stacked and the matches ranged from good to fucking amazing. Good shit.

NXT Takeover San Antonio

This was the first Takeover event of 2017 and it had a tough act to follow in the previous Takeover in Toronto. Would it live up to the hype? Let's take a look at the matches.

Eric Young VS Tye Dillinger
An ok opener. Not sure where either guy goes from here but Young winning was the right call to help establish his Sanity group.

Andrade Cien Almas VS Roderick Strong
This was boring and I honestly don't care about Almas. At all. This was my chance to go to the pantry for some M&M's and black forest gummies. Worst match of the night for me.

DIY VS Authors of Pain [NXT Tag Team Championship]
The match itself was fine (thanks to DIY) though I disagree with the result. DIY deserved a longer reign and I have yet to see what anyone else sees in the Authors of Pain. They suck and shouldn't be champions. Where DIY goes next is beyond me. It's way too soon for a main roster promotion. Perhaps a rematch at the next Takeover? I'll be rooting for DIY if that's the case.

Asuka VS Billie Kay VS Nikki Cross VS Peyton Royce [Fatal Fourway for the NXT Women's Championship]
I enjoyed the match, my only real problem with it was that it proved Royce and Kay are not ready for the championship level yet. Cross was clearly the top threat to Asuka. The retention was absolutely the right call, as she should move on to Ember Moon at the next Takeover where I fully believe the title will change hands. Royce and Kay in a tag team feud of some sorts may work better for them next cycle since they do work well together, just aren't ready for the title.

Bobby Roode VS Shinsuke Nakamura [NXT Championship]
The best match of the night. It did drag on a little at first for me however by the end it got great. Roode's going to be a (pun intended) glorious NXT Champion. I predict at the time of this writing that Joe and Nakamura are both headed to the main roster. Roode should stay on top for a long time. A fitting choice to close the show since nothing else would have been good enough.

Overall Thoughts
This is probably my least favorite of any of the larger Takeover events held outside of Full Sail. That's not to say that it sucked. Not at all. It was an enjoyable show. I did feel that it was a big step down in comparison to Toronto and Brooklyn II. In fact, all of 2016's Takeovers other than The End were better. Still a show worth checking out. Seth Rollins' surprise appearance to confront Trips was a cool surprise. As for the actual matches on the card.... Watch the Women's Championship match and Nakamura VS Roode if you have not seen them yet. The whole first half other than when Rollins showed up is skippable.

Not going to review nxt takeover orlando match by match. I will leave this to somebody else. I will jst say that will the wrestling was strong, what was really the point of the show in the end outside of giving new belt the the current champions.

Nothing really got settled in any of the matches and those new belts are the great in my opinion. I will really miss the old design for the belts they made the championship stand out, now they feel just like the titles on the main rosters, generic.

NXT Takeover Orlando

Tonight was the NXT Takeover event during Wrestlemania weekend which within kayfabe would mean that it is the biggest NXT event of the year. Honestly, I did not go into this event expecting anything as incredible as last year's NXT Takeover event in Dallas during Wrestlemania weekend. Alright let's take a look at the matches from this event.

Sanity (Eric Young, Alexander Wolfe, Killian Dain, and Nikki Cross) VS Tye Dillinger, Ruby Riot, Roderick Strong, and Kassius Ohno [8 Person Mixed Tag Team Match]
An ok opener. I have to admit it got a little boring at times. It didn't help much that the only person on the face side who I am currently a fan of was Tye. Could be worse. Sanity definitely needed the win more to continue their dominance.

Andrade "Cien" Almas VS Aleister Black
Aleister Black surprised me here. I was fairly unfamiliar with him and he seems like he will be pretty cool. Never liked Almas and this match did nothing to change that. Glad Aleister got the win.

The Authors of Pain (c) (with Paul Ellering) VS DIY VS The Revival [Triple Threat Match for the NXT Tag Team Championship]
Goodness this was a mess. It had cool spots especially with the tables, but it would have been SO much better as a standard tag match between The Authors and The Revival. Tag team triple threats are always stupid unless they are under tornado rules. Better than I expected and I really tried hard to give this a chance despite the fact that I detest the match type. In the end it didn't do it for me. The new belts look cool.

Asuka (c) VS Ember Moon [Singles match for the NXT Women's Championship]
Genuinely surprised by this match result. Ember is ready for the title so the only thing I can think of is that they want to have Asuka do basically what Paige did, take the NXT Women's Championship to Smackdown and win the Smackdown Women's Championship on her first night. Ember would then win the vacated title and feud with Royce. Fun match for the most part, although I have to say that I think the wrong girl won. Ember needed the win far more considering how ready Asuka is for a promotion to Raw/Smackdown.

Bobby Roode (c) VS Shinsuke Nakamura [Singles match for the NXT Championship]
This one really could have gone either way and was the best match of the night. Shinsuke becoming a record setting 3 time NXT Champion would have been my preferred ending. Oh well. I'm fine with this having gone the way it did. Roode's awesome and his glorious reign continues.

Overall Thoughts
Outside of the new title designs.... This show overall was a bit of a letdown, by NXT Takeover standards anyway. In fact.... This might be my least favorite NXT Takeover event so far however it is still a good show overall. It left a slightly disappointing impression and I never thought I would say that about a Takeover show let alone during Wrestlemania week. My immediate response to a friend who missed it was that he missed nothing other than new title belts. Go check out the main event if you missed this show, but I don't really recommend the rest of it. It was a step down from San Antonio and NXT is capable of better than this. I'll say this though.... It was still better than most of Raw's shows at least.

NXT TakeOver: Orlando

1. Tye Dillinger, Roderick Strong, Kassius Ohno & Ruby Riot vs. SAnitY - I thought this was a fun opener and though it was the weakest match on the card, in my opinion, it was still entertaining. No Way Jose was supposed to be in this match but an angle was done earlier in the day during a WrestleMania Axxess event in which Eric Young & company "injured" him, so Kassius Ohno replaced him. The fans were into the match from bell to bell and it was a little chaotic at times, though I thought that was a good overall part of the story given that SAnitY has been a thorn in the sides of the babyfaces for a while. I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with the women here, they just sort of seemed to be there and were lost among the men just tearing into each other. The end comes about the 12.5 minute mark when Killian Dane, amidst all the wild brawling, puts Dillinger in what looks like a modified Michinoku Driver for the win. ***

2. Aleister Black vs. Andrade Cien Almas - I thought this was a hard hitting affair that introduced fans to Black in a really solid way. I was glad that this wasn't a glorified squash, like so many of these matches for debuting stars often have been, as it gave us a chance to see a good deal of what Black brings to the table. Also, Almas is one of the most consistently strong in-ring guys on the NXT roster and deserved better than being squashed. Black's in-ring style sort of put me in mind of a mix of Daniel Bryan and Shinsuke Nakamura in that he does a lot of striking mixed with submission with a dash of high flying tossed in. He also has a unique look and his persona comes off as darkly mysterious. Both men got in a lot of offense here and while the outcome was never in doubt, it was still surprising to see how strong they made Almas look here. The ending came around the 10 minute mark, though it felt longer in a good way, as Black hits a spinning roundhouse kick named Black Mass. ***1/2

3. NXT Tag Team Championship: The Authors of Pain vs. #DIY vs. The Revival - This match entertained the hell out of me and the fans were just flat out red hot for it from bell to bell. It was chaotic at times, though it's nice to see a little chaos every so often as we're so used to seeing the relatively paint by the numbers formula Vince likes for tag team matches on the main roster. I thought they told a great story with #DIY as the traditional babyfaces, the Revival as these throwback heels and the AOP as these badass destroyers and it lead to some really fun moments with #DIY and the Revival working together. In my opinion, the Revival's overall characters coupled with their in-ring work, their timing and the personalities make them the best tag team in wrestling and I really liked how even though they were working with #DIY through a good portion of the match, they still had that snake in the grass aura about them in which you were just waiting for them to stab the babyfaces in the back at the most opportune time. The mistrust eventually got the better of #DIY as they eventually focused back on the Revival and it eventually cost them as they were eliminated about the 19 minute mark. It was then down to the AOP and the Revival with the Revival sorta cast in the role of babyfaces and there were times in which they almost had them as there were some great near falls and near submissions throughout the match. Eventually, however, the AOP managed to hit their double powerbomb finisher for the win about the 24 minute mark. ****1/2

4. NXT Women's Championship: Asuka vs. Ember Moon - I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this match, but it was far better than I anticipated and Ember Moon definitely came off as someone who's been the biggest threat Asuka's ever faced. This was a really physical match with the ladies going all out; Moon had a nice combination of physicality and athleticism while Asuka was a wrecking machine. Asuka's cocky persona works for her because she's someone who comes across as backing it up, she feels like a legit badass and it makes every cocky smirk and gesture feel deserved. The end comes about the 12.5 minute mark as Ember Moon is perching on the top rope, setting up for the Eclipse, as Asuka is climbing back to her feet. Asuka then uses her first 100% genuine heel tactic that I can recall in a match as she shoved the referee into the ropes, causing Moon to lose her balance and fall to the canvas. As Moon is recovering, Asuka lets out a war cry and "knocks out" Moon with a savage looking kick for the win. Moon came out of this looking like a star and I like that they seem to be setting up for more of these two later down the line in which I'm guessing Asuka drops the title to Moon sometime over the summer or at the next TakeOver event during SummerSlam weekend. ***3/4

5. NXT Championship: Bobby Roode vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - This match started off a little slow, though it's understandable that they were feeling each other out and Roode especially feeling out Nakamura's "injured" knee, but it picked up and there was a lot of really good storytelling and drama packed into a near 30 minute match. I like how they sold this match ultimately being about who they thought wanted it more as it helped keep the outcome ambiguous. As we've come to expect, there was some good physical action from both men while both also utilized submissions at various points in the match. Roode worked on Nakamura's knee throughout while Nakamura focused on Roode's left shoulder as he put him in a cross armbar a couple of times. About the 24 minute mark, Roode manages to hit the Glorious DDT for a good near fall. Roode goes outside and grabs the ring bell and brings it into the ring as he and the ref play tug of war with it; Roode dares the ref to disqualify him as Nakamura is recovering and lands a big kick after the ref takes the bell from him before landing the reverse exploder suplex to set up for the Kinshasa. As Nakamura goes for it, Roode counters with a spinebuster for another good near fall. They go at it for a bit more before Roode hits a chop block on Nakamura's knee before setting himself up on the top rope. He pulls Nakamura to him and it looks like he's going for a tornado DDT, but Roode uses the momentum to deliver another wicked looking Glorious DDT for the win about the 29 minute mark. Hard found match that didn't fail to entertain. ****

Final Thoughts - In my opinion, this was the best TakeOver event since the one in Dallas last year during WrestleMania weekend though I thought this one was the better event. For me, there wasn't a single weak match on the card, though the title matches were the bigger standouts. Given their failure to defeat the AOP, I suspect that the Revival, #DIY or possibly both is main roster bound soon and I've no doubt the Revival is ready. Aleister Black's debut was fun, I think they should work to keep him as this dark, mysterious character and his match with Almas was quite good. I thought the tag title match was the overall match of the night with a ton of great storytelling and action. I think Ember Moon gave Asuka the best match she's had in NXT to date and while it's easy to be disappointed in that Asuka doesn't look like she's headed to the main roster soon, I do like that this program will continue with Moon ultimately capturing the gold. The main event was another high quality outing from Roode and Nakamura; now that Nakamura has failed to regain the title, I honestly see no reason why he shouldn't be headed to the main roster sometime within the next few months. He's been in NXT for just over a year, he's established himself as probably the most popular guy in the history of NXT so the time's right. All in all, the main roster's gonna have to work pretty hard at WrestleMania to keep from being outshined by TakeOver once again.

Grade: A

Ruby's gimmick kind of reminds me of a group of people around 12 / 13 I had introduced to punk music, but she watched a Riot grrrl documentary before finding out about it a little later. It could honestly work very well, but they've already kind of butchered it. The gimmick is already watered down to an average 7th grade Punk kid, but that's easily needed for a VAST majority of NXT & WWE Fans. With that same typical WWE / NXT fan I REALLY don't think the slight sprinkle of "She stands up for women's rights" is a good thing. There is a common theme of being socially unaware, and failure separating real life from internet.

That being bad enough potentially she debuted in a match with a female she has awful chemistry with and 6 men she can't wrestle. Nearly every spot between her and Cross had some kind of botch. I think Riot / Lovelace was trying to work a more typical match, but Sanity has a style that matches their gimmick so it just got lost between what was kind of a ROH styled spot fest and that. No real flow or anything like a match like that typically does have in ROH or even PWG, and it was an awful debut. It was trash, but watchable.

Black / End has some awful theme music. They really "Hot Topic" the living hell out of anything and everything that walks in and out of NXT. I think I stopped watching when they really started to do that more and more. I think it just bugs me, because it's just an overall negative for what kind of music and social culture I was into since growing up to even now. It does appeal to that standard NXT / WWE fan type, and there's nothing wrong with branding or business. Black lost a lot of weight, and seems to have made his style a lot less hard hitting and strike based which was a lot of his appeal.

Would of been a good match, but not for his debut under this new name. He came out at the U.K. tournament and lost in a throwaway match. During Mania, and especially in NXT they should of introduced him a different way. Pretty sure nearly 80% + of the people there hadn't seen almost anything from him, and what he's capable of. It was better and less harmful than the opener, but it really wasn't that good in a lot of ways.

I'm going to try and finish the rest later I suppose. The 1st two matches being awful debuts is enough to drive me away. Unless you don't watch anything outside of WWE / NXT and maybe a one off match or two on YouTube this Takeover is pretty average to maybe let down level. It may be up to perspective or whatever people use to validate their opinion, but an uninformed perspective is still uninformed. I figure the Tag match will bring it drastically up, but one even great match doesn't make an entire PPV or show a great one. Styles vs Cena at Royal Rumble is a good example of that.

Some thoughts for the last week's NXT:

The start of the show with a brawl between Ruby Riot (Don't get her name) & Nikki Cross was very well done. It made things look very personal between Cross & Riot. And that was the requirement for upgrading this feud. Drew Galloway.. . Nopes, McIntyre. Good match for his return. The match with Oney Lorcan was better but it had more time given as well. The match with Almas was short & sweet. Everything it needed to be. Drew McIntyre is looking like a big giant now. Much like Cass. Aleister Black. Man, this guy is something special. The intensity and the gimmick. He's just awesome. Excited to see him more. And the main event was a very good match as well. Jack Gallagher is just awesome. The match started slow in a "gentlemen" way and ended hard and that's what was needed.

Hyped for this week's NXT.

Time for some thoughts on recent NXT.

Drew McIntyre makes me love him more and more everytime I watch him. That pose at the start of the match. That intensity. That toughness. Sally would be lovingly smiling down at him from heaven. RIP Sally.

Back to McIntyre. The match was again short. But it was a hard-hitting match. So, I amn't complaining. Kind of confused why Aleister Black and Drew McIntyre have no TakeOver matches. Same for Kassius Ohno.

Sonya Deville impressed me. Lacey Evans wasn't bad either. There's still plenty of space for improvement though. Sonya Deville has a good gimmick, thanks to her MMA background.

Asuka's segment was quite good. Really teasing her heel stature. Can't see her losing the title though.

Nonetheless, I'm hyped for TakeOver.

NXT Takeover Chicago

Well we had an NXT Takeover that was not part of a Big 4 weekend but instead on the same weekend as a Smackdown event which will be held tomorrow. Let's take a look at the matches that took place on this show.

Eric Young (with Alexander Wolfe and Killian Dain) VS Roderick Strong
I'm glad this went on first to get it out of the way. It was the only match on the card that I had little interest in. Strong's boring. Even after viewing those backstory videos they had in the last couple of weeks I just can't get behind the guy with my support. He's just kind of there. I ended up cheering for Young. The match dragged on a bit, although the show got better.

Pete Dunne VS Tyler Bate (c) [United Kingdom Championship]
This was an awesome match. The UK guys stole the show here and I can't wait for the UK show to start. Having this title get defended on an NXT Takeover was a very good decision and I hope this won't be the last time. Best match of the night and I would argue it's a match of the year candidate as well. Loved it. I'm genuinely surprised at Dunne's win, however it may just be so that he can be the top guy going into the UK show. Makes me wonder why he didn't win the title in the first place. Either way.... Go watch this if you missed it!

Asuka (c) VS Ruby Riot VS Nikki Cross [Triple Threat match for the NXT Women's Championship]
Yeah, there was NO WAY that Asuka was going to lose this. Nikki was the only true threat to the title here and even she seems to not be ready just yet for a title run. I said it months ago and I will say it again, Ember Moon is the one who will defeat Asuka. No one else makes sense at this point to and the longer Asuka holds that title the more true that statement becomes. The women did a good job in the difficult task of following that excellent UK Championship match also, so there's that. Better than expected despite Ember's absence.

Bobby Roode (c) VS Hideo Itami [NXT Championship]
The piano graphic thing before Roode's entrance was very cool. The match itself was a bit of a letdown, maybe the Shinsuke matches set the bar too high for Roode, or maybe it was due to the UK guys having stolen the show. Glad that Itami got his shot at redemption and even more glad that Roode retained. The result was as expected. At first I was surprised this did not main event. Speaking of that....

The Authors of Pain (c) (with Paul Ellering) VS DIY [Ladder Match for the NXT Tag Team Championship]
My initial reaction to this going on last was along the lines of "You have GOT to be kidding me!?" though by the end of the show it all made sense. Roode and Itami would never have been able to follow this. Never. The match itself exceeded expectations and then some. Second best of the night other than the UK Championship. The Authors retaining was fine and now we will likely see an intense personal feud between DIY due to the heel turn at the end of the show. Nice surprise there and I look forward to see the DIY feud.

Overall Thoughts
This was a very fun show. Granted that has been said about virtually every NXT Takeover, so it's expected by now. The show was a big step up from Orlando and I really enjoyed it. Let's see if Smackdown can top this tomorrow. Watch the whole show if you have the time to spare, you can skip the first match if you want. Everything else ranged from good to excellent. Check out the UK Championship match at the very least if you missed it. That match is an absolute must.

Just my thoughts post-NXT Chicago.

Roderick Strong vs Eric Young

Solid opening match with Strong absolutely laying into Young to start off. It got a little slow towards the middle and the interference from Sanity got fucked up a little bit, but it was still a fine match. It was cool seeing Roddy hit the End of Heartache, and I'm assuming he'll use this as his finish with the abundance of strike finishers in NXT. Roderick Strong is awesome and I can see him getting a title run at some point.

Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate

This match blew their UK Championship Finals match out of the water, and that match was awesome. Tyler Bate is so insanely talented, and he's crazy strong. Lots of hard strikes, lots of deadlift moves by Bate, and easily the match of the night and a match of the year candidate. I would've been fine with either guy winning, but I'm especially happy that Dunne won as he's one of my favorites. Lots of possibilities for Dunne, logically he'd defend against Trent Seven, but he could do lots of stuff with Mark Andrews, Jack Gallagher, and maybe even Drew or Aleister Black.

Asuka vs Ruby Riot vs Nikki Cross

Without a doubt, the weakest match of the night. It doesn't help that this match was in the death-spot between the UK Championship match and the NXT Championship match. The match was okay, but a lot of spots seemed a little off and clunky at times. Finish sucked and was botched, but Asuka pinning both Riot and Cross at the same time was cool. Nikki Cross plays her character very well. Essentially, this was just a match that happened.

Bobby Roode vs Hideo Itami

This was actually a really good match. Excellent pacing throughout with the slow build at the beginning all the way to the awesome ending moments. This was definitely Hideo's best match in NXT, he was really laying in a lot of his strikes, and he just looked really good. Brilliant selling by Roode and Itami as well, with the selling of the arm and leg respectively. Roode hitting two Glorious DDTs in a row followed by his flop of pain was awesome and this was a lot better of a match than expected - in my opinion, better than the Roode/Nakamura matches.

Authors of Pain vs #DIY

Unsurprisingly, this match was great, however you could hear the air sucked out of the building when Authors of Pain won. I have no idea where they go from here, probably Heavy Machinery, but that's not what's important here. What's important is that after the match, they showed the network logo, but just like at TakeOver REvolution, that wasn't the end. Ciampa turned on Gargano and as much as that sucked, it was also the only logical decision (other than sending them to the main roster, however they'd end up lost in the shuffle).

This feud is going to be awesome. It was teased a bit back in the Cruiserweight Classic when they faced each other in the first round, but other than that, there wasn't really much dissension between them. This is Ciampa's time to shine, and tonight was a good start. When he was beating the shit out of Gargano, he'd feel remorse and then immediately go back to being just a vicious prick. This feud is going to be absolutely fantastic, Gargano is such a lovable babyface and Ciampa will get a chance to really work the Psycho Killer gimmick.

Overall, this was a really good show. It's all watchable, but the UK Championship match and the ending segment were the major high points for the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back