NHL Thread - 2010-11

I am astounded as to how bad the Blackhawks have played that they are still in the playoff race. Definitely a legitimate shock that they are 9-9-2 and in 7th place and are only 4 points out of 1st. I thought other teams had a lot more points. Shows where my head has been. The team has struggled to close out games and have struggled at home. What the fuck?! This was the team that fed off the crowd last year. I'm not condemning the team or anything. It's still November and there is a lot of hockey to be played. The team is now going on their annual Circus Trip and hopefully this helps the team bond and gel together, which is what the team needs is to gel. This is another talented group, they just need to start gelling together and stop making stupid mistakes on the ice. Let's start against Edmonton.

Perhaps they're still trying to find their chemistry after turning over half the roster in the off-season?

I already said that. Keep the spam out.

Hawks got killed in Calgary and just were not playing Blackhawks hockey. 3 hits? You can't escape physicality in hockey and expect to win. It simply won't happen the majority of the time. I'm not saying you need to go head hunting or go out of your way for hits, but if they are there take them. Poor showing as the team lost 7-2 with Jarome Iginla getting a trick.

Last night they played a lot better and I had to rub it in TM's face because it was against the Canucks. A much better showing. The game was scoreless after one but the Blackhawks got on the board and wouldn't stop the onslaught. Game was 7-0 before the Canucks even showed up on the scorecard. Better response than I anticipated in Vancouver, but the Blackhawks have been better in the 2nd game of back to backs so far this year, and were last year as well.

The Penguins are playing their best hockey of the young season, going 4-0-1 in their past five after a rather sluggish 8-8-1 start.

The problem is, they keep blowing lead within the last minute of the game that leads to them being forced to win games in either OT or a Shootout. They blew a 2-1 lead within the last minute of the game with the Rangers, and lost in OT. Two games later, they carried a 4-3 lead into the last minute and a half against Carolina, only to win it the SO.

With the additions of Paul Martin and Zybynek Michalek in the offseason, I expected the Penguins to be near perfect at closing at late games. They've been the opposite, as they've lacked that killer instinct and have been laisze faire with the puck. A 3-2 win over Florida was necessitated by a late 3rd period goal as they blew an early 2-0 lead. Its only 22 games in, but its concerning that they've blown so many leads so late, with the end result of winning not always justifying the means of getting there, as they've been quite sloppy at doing so. Fortunately, Sidney Crosby is doing exactly what he's paid to do: produce multiple point games almost every game and be the best player in the NHL.

The Blackhawks havd played almost-4-5 games more then anyone else. I know they have won 3 in a row but need to continue because a couple losses combined with games being made out they would be on the outside looking in. Hossa being out again doesn't help and they haven't been getting great goaltending.

Its hard to believe that the Penguins are riding an 8 game winning streak at points in their last 9. At 16-8-2, they hold the lead in the Atlantic Division with a game in hand against the Flyers. They play that game tonight against the Thrashers, who have won 6 in a row themselves.

The Penguins have been lead by the 13 game point streak of Sidney Crosby, and the brilliant play in net by Marc Andre Fleury, whose won his last 6 starts. On the flip side, Crosby has been the entire offense for the Penguins, as Evgeni Malkin has looked quite pedestrian this year. Jordan Staal should be returning soon, which should hopefully give the struggling Malkin a boost. For the Penguins to continue to win, they're going to need more then just the play of Crosby, Fleury, and the defense. Another scorer, whether it be Malkin stepping up, or the return of Staal, will be needed to outpace Philly for the Atlantic Division Title. Hopefully they will get that starting tonight vs the Thrashers, a team they've dominated, especially in Pittsburgh.

there are multiple teams that could surprise us. Dallas seems to be doing ok right now.

Mainly due to Brad Richards, a guy they can't really afford to lose, but IMO will lose undoubtedly to the New York Rangers.

I don't care what anyone says — Sather has been after Richards, who has a very serious (and successful) history with John Tortorella, the Rangers' head coach, to fill the obvious void on the Rangers' top line. Come hell or high water, whether they have to trade assets to acquire him early for fear of losing him to another club (and extension prior to free agency), the Rangers will go after him, and they will be relentless, just as they were for Heatley and for Sundin prior to that.

Take it to the bank now. By July 2nd, 2011, Brad Richards will be a New York Ranger.

Pittsburgh saw its 12 game winning streak come to an end last night at the hands of their crosstown rivals, the Phuladelphia Flyers. Evgeni Malkin returned from injury and scored both Penguins goals, but also took an undisciplined interference penalty halfway through the 3rd that gave the Flyers the power play on which they scored the game winning goal.

Despite the Penguins 12 game winning streak, the Flyers leapfrogged the Penguins to the top of the Altlantic Division and Eastern Conference Standings with the win. THe depth in the Flyers top 6 really stood out, especially during even strength play. Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, and Danny Briere are all legitimate top line players. The Penguins lack the scoring punch outside of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, especially with Jordan Staal still sidelined and Chris Kunitz missing the game with injury. A trade for a winger doesn't appear likely as the Penguins are right at the Salary Cap as it is. A chance for a qauick rebound is there tonight against the New York Rangers, which is a favorable matchup for the Penguins.

Pittsburgh saw its 12 game winning streak come to an end last night at the hands of their crosstown rivals, the Phuladelphia Flyers. Evgeni Malkin returned from injury and scored both Penguins goals, but also took an undisciplined interference penalty halfway through the 3rd that gave the Flyers the power play on which they scored the game winning goal.

Despite the Penguins 12 game winning streak, the Flyers leapfrogged the Penguins to the top of the Altlantic Division and Eastern Conference Standings with the win. THe depth in the Flyers top 6 really stood out, especially during even strength play. Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, and Danny Briere are all legitimate top line players. The Penguins lack the scoring punch outside of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, especially with Jordan Staal still sidelined and Chris Kunitz missing the game with injury. A trade for a winger doesn't appear likely as the Penguins are right at the Salary Cap as it is. A chance for a qauick rebound is there tonight against the New York Rangers, which is a favorable matchup for the Penguins.

It would have been nice to see the streak stay in tact for the New Years day game, but it was still nice while it lasted. Sid kept his own streak alive for consecutive games with at least 1 pt. Philly is always a tough game for us, but I actually thought we played them extremely tough considering the injuries we're dealing with. We'll have plenty of oppurtunities to extract our vengence on the hated flyers and with any luck, will bounce them out of the playoffs again!

It would have been nice to see the streak stay in tact for the New Years day game, but it was still nice while it lasted. Sid kept his own streak alive for consecutive games with at least 1 pt. Philly is always a tough game for us, but I actually thought we played them extremely tough considering the injuries we're dealing with. We'll have plenty of oppurtunities to extract our vengence on the hated flyers and with any luck, will bounce them out of the playoffs again!

Agreed. I think with Kunitz and Staal in the lineup, this team is Philly's equal. Good to see Sid keep his streak alive as well, and Malkin storm back into the lineup with two power play goals.

The problem I noticed was time and space last night. The Flyers gave us absolutely no room to breathe 5 on 5, which has been what the Penguins have been doing to teams much of the season, particularly during the 12 game winning streak. They essentially beat us at our own game last night. I think with a healthy Kunitz and Staal, and the addition of a scoring winger, the Penguins are the perfect team to come out of the East.

As I watch the Penguins lead the Rangers 1-0 after 2 periods, the feeling really isnt there that the Rangers can win this game, despite the score. That's the stranglehold and killer instinct I believe the Penguins have had throughout their win streak, despite not piling up goals the way they have in years past.

Welp, its about time it happened. My Devils have been horrible all year and have not even been remotely close to meeting expectations. So, our rookie coach John MacLean is out. I feel bad for Johnny Mac, as the blue line was riddled with injuries, but he really wasnt doing his job. If the team goes on and continues to play the way they've been all year, then we know it wasnt completely his fault.

The bad news is that Lou's ol' reliable, Jacques Lemaire is back. Its already been discussed in here that the NHL is an offense based league and having a defensive minded coach isnt a good idea. Especially when the team struggles to do anything at even strength. If defense was our only problem, I would be ok with Lemaire, but the offense is just as bad and thats something that he isnt the best at working with. Lucky for him, he gets to start off playing the only team worse than the Devils, the Islanders. The next few weeks should be very interesting.

I just got back from the Devils game. Oy fucking vey, it was painful. The worst part is, after a humiliating first period (Tallinder can suck my cock, and every other cock in the arena as punishment for his abominable play to night) the Devils had a real spark early on in the second, even netting a goal, but the hockey gods just weren't on their side and they couldn't get another. Then the Islanders scored a shorthander on a bullshit breakaway and rebound that could have probably been stopped if another Devil besides Kovalchuck hustled.

It's going to be a tough year to be a Devils fan. They currently actually make me feel slightly less embarrassed about being a Mets fan. That said, I don't doubt that they'll play better with Lemaire behind the bench. Hopefully he'll teach some of the idiots on D how to play their position. I still don't see the Devils doing too much better since they can't score, but hopefully they can get a high draft pick and get some guy who will do wonders. No idea if there are any superstar players in this years draft pool, though.

The Hawks have weathered the storm of Kane and Hossa being out of action the past few weeks. The line of Bolland, Bickell, and Pisani have definitely stepped it up on the "checking" line, and have been the line scoring the most in the past stretch of about 5-6 games. Kaner will be back tomorrow night, and while someone will be put on the bench for the game, he is still going to provide a lift on whatever line he is on.

I'm liking the toughness of the West right now. The two worst teams in the West are 13 and 16 points out of first respectively, and the 5 teams that are closer to 8th are only 5 (4 for a tie for the spot) points out of the final spot for the playoffs. The East so far has a fair 6 point distance between the 8th and 9th spot as far as points go. We shall see which race will be more fun, the East or West. If it continues as is, my money is on the West.

For the second straight game, The Piitsburgh Penguins came out falt and felll behind early in the first period. Unlike in a 3-1 loss to Ottawa on Sunday, SIdney Crosby single-handedly erased the deficit alone before the first period was over. The Penguins dominated the next to periods and coasted to a 6-3 victory over Atlanta as Crosby extended his points streak to a career high 25 games. Overall, Crosby has 32 goals for the season. His second goal was especially impressive as he split two defenders and coasted in alone on Atlanta goaltender Ondrej Pavelec, roofing the puck over his outstretched glove. His first goal came on the power play as he took a nice slot pass from defenseman Kris Letang and beat Pavelec glove side again.

What's been especially impressive during Crosby's point scoring streak is that by in large he's done so without scoring support elsewhere other then Evgeni Malkin. Even Malkin has gone through slumps as he hasn't recorded a point in 2 games after scoring 5 goals in his first 5 games back after missing 4 games with a knee injury. Last night, the Penguins role players did chip in as Craig Adams, Chris Kunitz, Mark Letestu, and Matt Cooke all scored. Cooke scored when he deflected a Crosby slapshot from the top of the blueline, and Kunitz scored on a great backdoor feed from Crosby to start the 3rd period. Overall, Crosby at 65 points has double the number of points as the Penguins 2nd leading scorer Evgeni Malkin, who has 32. Crosby is on pace for 69 goals overall this season, which is uncanny considering he entertered the league as a playmaker. Overall, he has 65 points in 38 games, which places him 13 points ahead of Steven Stamkos for the NHL's scoring lead.

To me, Crosby is easily the player you would want to build your franchise around. Initially known as a playmaker, since Dan Bylsma took over as head coach two years he has encouraged Crosby to shoot more. This has resulted in him tying for the league lead in goals last year with Stamkos with 51. Crosby maintained his playmaking ability by assisting on 58 other goals as well, placing him second overall in the NHL scoring race behind Henrik Sedin with 108. This year, Crosby is on pace for 140 points, which would be the most since Mario Lemiuex scored 161 points in the 1995-1996 season. That's right folks, fifteen years. Oh, and Crosby's only 23 years old!

So is there a better player in the NHL today then Sidney Crosby? If you were building a franchise around any one player, who would you choose? Would it be Crosby, Ovechkin, or someone else? Why?

Just got back from the Devils game. They lost on a huge fluke of a goal. I don't know what Hedberg was thinking, but he was behind the net when a cleared puck took an odd bounce and by the time Hedberg dove in front of the net, it was too late.

There were a couple bright spots for the Devils though. For one thing, Kovalchuck scored a really pretty goal off of a slap shot that just flat out beat Theodore. Additionally, some of the younger Devils are playing real well. Sestito is a tough small player who always hustles to the puck, and this new guy Palmeleri played a very physical game and looked fantastic. Elias also played very well, but unfortunately the Devils have few players who are able to play alongside Elias, as he is a very tricky player, sometimes to crafty for his own good. Clarkson, despite falling down a lot, is another player who seems to be in the right place at the right time, and Rod Pelley is playing well. If the young guys continue to get better, we could see a major improvement next season.

Still, there are two players on the Devils who are all but completely worthless: Rolston and Tallinder. Tallinder just doesn't look like he's capable of playing against NHL forwards, and Rolston has lost it completely. He blows defensive assignments, he misjudges the puck, and he passes and shoots like he has a pool noodle for a hockey stick. I don't understand why they play him at all.

The good news is that if the Devils manage to get a high pick in the draft and they can start their new guys right away, we'll be in decent shape for next season if we can cut some dead weight.

Yeah, the Devils manage to get a high draft pick in the weakest draft in the last five years. Congratulations. Your consolation prize for being the worst team in the NHL? A shot at Couturier, Landeskog, Nugent-Hopkins or Biggs — none of whom is projected to be an NHL superstar a la the drafts prior that berthed guys like Crosby, DiPietro, Nash, Gáborík, Tavares, Duchene, Hedman and Stamkos.

Factor in the possibility that your former All-Star goaltender, Brodeur, might end up retiring which will leave your club with a giant hole (since you never drafted/developed a quality NHL starting goaltender) and it smells like back-to-back cellar years for you and your boys in red.

About fucking time, too. Now you know what it feels like (and likely will for a few years) to be a cellar-dwelling team.

Let's Go Rangers!

BIG UPDATE TO TRADE DEADLINE

John Buccigross of ESPN tweeted earlier:

I've been told Brad Richards of the Dallas Stars has been told by Dallas management he will not be traded this year..
2 hours ago

Richards, for those of you who are living under a rock, is/was the big dog approaching this deadline. He does have a NMC/NTC, which likely would have prevented Dallas from moving him regardless, but come July 1st (obviously assuming he's not re-signed between now and then by Dallas), I can guarantee you Richards will be given a long-term contract from the New York Rangers to come to Broadway. Whether he accepts or not is unknown, but don't be surprised to read he's signed a five-year deal worth $37.5M come July 1st, 2010. :)

Let's Go Rangers!

Sabres have an agreement to sell the team to billionaire Terry Pegula for $189 million. It has been going around for a few months now that Pegula was very interested in buying the team, as the Sabres were quietly for sale for awhile now, even though it was shot down numerous times.

All Sabres fans are thankful for Tom Golisano buying the team when Rigas screwed us by getting in trouble for his long list of fraud charges. The problem with Tommy G. was that he was never a real hockey fan, and just bought the team to keep them here and so they didn't have to fold and as a business deal. Now with Pegula we have a owner who truly loves the sport, as he donated $88 million to Penn State for their hockey program. He will definitely keep the team here, as his wife is from Buffalo as well. I just hope Pegula will be smart enough to get rid of our GM Darcy Reiger as one of his first moves when he takes over the team. I think he will not be afraid to spend the money on bringing in some top talent as well. Only good things to come with Pegula owning the team.

horrible past 2 games by the Bruins...seems like the red wings man handled them...they need to do some sort of trade and get some help on the first 2 lines and another defenseman

Instead the Bruins brawl with the Canadiens, Thrashers and Stars

that last Canadiens vs. Bruins brawl was hilarious Shawn Thornton should be a wrestler

anyone read the Mario Lemiuex article on ESPN?

Crybaby Lemieux is at it again...

One of the most hypocritical things I've seen published in years.

Really, Mario? It was a disgrace what happened?

Where where you, Mr. Moral Highground, when your own piece of shit player Matt Cooke nearly ended the career of Marc Savard and Artem Anisimov in the span of two months?

Where were you when he was just suspended for boarding Fedor Tyutin?

You can't pick and choose your battles if you want to be a martyr. You either die for the cause or you don't, you don't just die for very specific causes that don't happen to pull on the jersey of your own team every other night.

The game survived without you before and it'll survive without you again. Don't let the door hit ya...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back