• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NHL Playoff Prediction Thread

Stanley Cup Finals

Vancouver Canuks vs Boston Bruins- Canuks in 7. This will be a hard fought series but I think Vancouver just has too much offensive fire power for Boston to handle. The Canuks are a lot like Tampa Bay in the fact that they have an explosive offense, however, Vancouver has much better goaltending then Tampa. The Bruins are a very physical team and it won't be easy but give me Vancouver.

STANLEY CUP FINALS

Vancouver Canucks versus Boston Bruins

BRUINS IN SIX

As I said in another thread, Luongo has been uncharacteristically shaky this post season. Thomas has been unconventional but has basically been solid.

The Canucks have been an incredible team this season, but have not been overly impressive in the playoffs. They were lucky to beat the Blackhawks. Even though they beat the Predators in six and the Sharks in five, they were not as dominant as the results would leave you to believe.

In the end it all comes down to intensity and heart. The Bruins have it, but I am not so sure that the Canucks do.

Plus, I absolutely refuse to predict a Bruins loss to anyone :)

As I said in another thread, Luongo has been uncharacteristically shaky this post season. Thomas has been unconventional but has basically been solid.

Luongo has a 2.29 gaa, a .922 save %, and 2 shutouts in the playoffs. Tim Thomas has a 2.42 gaa, a .926 save %, and 1 shutout. So how exactly has Luongo been shaky and Thomas solid?

The Canucks have been an incredible team this season, but have not been overly impressive in the playoffs. They were lucky to beat the Blackhawks. Even though they beat the Predators in six and the Sharks in five, they were not as dominant as the results would leave you to believe.

The Canucks after getting a 3-0 series lead against Chicago hit a rough patch but since then they have been tremendous. They finished out the Blackhawks in game 7, beat Nashville in 6, and crushed the Sharks in 5. Boston, let's not forget, went to 7 games in round 1 as well against Montreal. Then they swept Philly before going to another 7 game series against Tampa Bay. The fact remains that both teams are in the finals and that in itself makes both their post season runs impressive.

Luongo has a 2.29 gaa, a .922 save %, and 2 shutouts in the playoffs. Tim Thomas has a 2.42 gaa, a .926 save %, and 1 shutout. So how exactly has Luongo been shaky and Thomas solid?

First of all, Thomas also has had two shutouts this season, both against Tampa Bay, but that's not even the point. You know as well as I do that looking at the numbers alone does not tell the full story. As well as Thomas played in Game 7, Roloson outplayed him, yet Roloson took the loss while Thomas picked up a shutout victory. Conversely, Roloson was very shaky in Game 6, while Thomas was solid, yet Roloson won and Thomas lost. You cannot only look at numbers, you have to look past them at the big picture to get the entire story. Fact of the matter is, after watching a LOT of hockey this postseason, Thomas has been more solid and dependable than Luongo has, even if the numbers imply otherwise.

The Canucks after getting a 3-0 series lead against Chicago hit a rough patch but since then they have been tremendous. They finished out the Blackhawks in game 7, beat Nashville in 6, and crushed the Sharks in 5. Boston, let's not forget, went to 7 games in round 1 as well against Montreal. Then they swept Philly before going to another 7 game series against Tampa Bay. The fact remains that both teams are in the finals and that in itself makes both their post season runs impressive.

Luongo has had to be pulled three times this postseason due to shaky play, while pulling Thomas has not even been remotely considered. He's the only goalie who has not needed to be pulled this year in the playoffs.

I'm not discounting Luongo or the Canucks in general. But they were damn lucky to escape from the Hawks series. While they beat the Preds in 6, they hardly dominated them. And suggesting they "crushed" the Sharks is simply not accurate, even though it was a short series. It was a highly competitive series, more so than the numbers would indicate.

Trust me, as a Canadian hockey fan viewing this series through the eyes of the Canadian public and media, Luongo is under incredible pressure, and the only knock against him is a history of wilting under such pressure. Will that happen this series? Who knows (but I hope so :) ). Thomas seems more unflappable under pressure, and the Bruins as a unit seem more passionate and determined. And that will be the difference in this long and competitive series.

First of all, Thomas also has had two shutouts this season, both against Tampa Bay, but that's not even the point. You know as well as I do that looking at the numbers alone does not tell the full story. As well as Thomas played in Game 7, Roloson outplayed him, yet Roloson took the loss while Thomas picked up a shutout victory. Conversely, Roloson was very shaky in Game 6, while Thomas was solid, yet Roloson won and Thomas lost. You cannot only look at numbers, you have to look past them at the big picture to get the entire story. Fact of the matter is, after watching a LOT of hockey this postseason, Thomas has been more solid and dependable than Luongo has, even if the numbers imply otherwise.

Yes Thomas does have two shut outs as the numbers hadn't been updated from last night. However, you most certainly can look at the numbers in this situation and make a comparison. If we were just talking about a game or two then the numbers can be deceiving but we are talking about a full playoff run that each goalie has had and their numbers are virtually identical. Luongo was shaky at times against Chicago but other then that he has been remarkable. Thomas has been great at times but he has also played like shit at times, most notably for a a few games in this last series against Tampa. There is no logic at all in your statement that Luongo has been shaky and Thomas solid. You're just searching for a Boston advantage that isn't there.

Luongo has had to be pulled three times this postseason due to shaky play, while pulling Thomas has not even been remotely considered. He's the only goalie who has not needed to be pulled this year in the playoffs.

And all 3 of those times were in the first round which was a long, long time ago. Thomas may not have been pulled but there were a few times in the playoffs he probably should have been. He has given up 4 or 5 goals in five games this postseason.

I'm not discounting Luongo or the Canucks in general. But they were damn lucky to escape from the Hawks series. While they beat the Preds in 6, they hardly dominated them. And suggesting they "crushed" the Sharks is simply not accurate, even though it was a short series. It was a highly competitive series, more so than the numbers would indicate.

Another double standard from you. The Canucks were "lucky" according to you to get out of the first round. How about Boston who also needed a game 7 OT win to get out of the first round. How about this past series where they once again just got a one goal win to take a game 7. I'm sure you'll come up with some bullshit about how Vancoucer was lucky to win and Boston won all because of their great skill. Last time I checked this is playoff hockey. Of course a lot of games are going to be close. The fact remains that they did take care of Nashville in 6 and they did dispose of the Sharks in a mere 5 games. They also beat San Jose by multiple goals in 2 of the 4 wins, including a 7-3 victory.

I refuse to even consider a Canucks win, and as much as I don't like Boston either, I'm going to take Thomas over Bobby Lou. Only due to the canucks still being pretty banged up. While it does come down to who plays better in net, it's also who plays better in front of their net, and that's why I have to (ugh) go with Boston. IF Vancouver wins though, then Kesler gets the MVP. Not Hank or Dank.

only got SJ over VAN wrong in the Conf. Finals

Stanley Cup Finals prediction:

VAN over BOS in 6 - Should be a great series, but I'm going with the Canucks to end the 18-year Canadian Stanley Cup jinx lol. I'm going with them mainly because the Sedin twins, Kesler, Burrows, etc. will be too much for BOS's D & Tim Thomas to overcome, & also because of how the Bruins have played on the power play this postseason. BOS should win a game or two, & if they do it'll because of Tim Thomas and it will probably be a low scoring game decided by 1 or 2 goals.

Conn Smythe Winner: Ryan Kesler

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back