2015-16 NHL Season

Rupp probably stepped in for tossed centers on his line now and then, but from what I can recall he was predominantly a winger.

As to Glass, he's been re-assigned to Hartford. Rangers save $950K on his $1.45M AAV, carrying a $500K ghost charge under new CBA rules (Wade Redden rule).

Tonight should be fun, with the return of The Duke and Yandle facing off against his former team.

Do we have any Ducks fans on the forum? Another team with an awful start who had far better expectations on their shoulders coming into this season. In fact, the Ducks were picked by a number of NHL pundits to take the entire Western Conference this year.

1-7-2 through ten games with a league-worst ten goals on the season. Simple math there. That's 1.00 G/GP.

There's been talk early about them being the next team to make a coaching change, but with no real standout option available to seemingly correct the ship, it's understandable there's so much reservation behind doing so.

According to statements released today, Bob Murray (Ducks GM) won't make "rash changes". Whatever that means.

Early litmus test in the East tonight as the Rangers and Capitals, tied for first in the Metro, clash at the Garden!

The Rangers are making a number of adjustments in advance of this game. Girardi (who has a 68.8% goals for average against Ovechkin) is back up with McDonagh and the pair are expected to be deployed against the OV/Kuznetsov/Oshie line all night. Lindberg is being moved to the PP, Miller to the fourth line with Stoll and Moore and Stålberg draws back in (for penalty-killing) to replace Etem.

For my money, this will boil down to goaltending, as Rangers/Caps usually does. Lundqvist v. Holtby!

“While it remains theoretically possible for a grand jury to indict Kane and for the Erie County District Attorney’s Office to then prosecute him, it is generally difficult to secure a conviction in a rape or domestic violence case when the accuser will not testify and when there is an absence of supplemental evidence, such as DNA, that would corroborate the accuser,” says McCann, the founding director of the Sports and Entertainment Law Institute at the University of New Hampshire School of Law.

“The case against Kane is also compromised by the bizarre development in September involving a purported rape kit wrapper that may have been supplied by the accused’s mother. The Buffalo News also reports that results from the actual rape kit failed to support the accuser’s contention that a rape occurred. Taken together, these matters raise serious questions about the strength of a potential case against Kane. This is important because prosecutors typically do not wish to prosecute a defendant unless they are certain that they can convince all members of a jury that the defendant is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt

Although the accuser’s decision appears to free Kane from criminal concerns, it doesn’t necessarily bring the matter to a close.

“Her withdrawing cooperation in a criminal investigation doesn’t preclude her filing a civil lawsuit over the same underlying accusations,” McCann says. “In a civil suit, she would likely bring four claims—battery, assault, false imprisonment and intentional infliction of emotional distress. She would contend that Kane put in her fear of imminent harm (assault) and had sexual intercourse without her consent (battery). She would also insist that Kane prevented her from leaving the room in his home where the alleged rape occurred (false imprisonment) and that he willfully caused her severe emotional distress through extreme and outrageous conduct (intentional infliction of emotional distress).

“The burden in a possible civil case brought by the accuser would be much lower than in a criminal prosecution against Kane,” says McCann. “While the Erie County District Attorney’s Office would need to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that Kane committed a crime, his accuser would only need to convince a jury that it is more probable than not that he violated a civil law.”

If the accuser chose to go that route, a public trial would be a long shot. McCann says that civil lawsuits typically are dismissed or settled before they ever get to that point.

“Kane’s attorneys would first try to have the case dismissed,” McCann explained. “If that fails, it is possible, if not probable, that a settlement would be reached whereby Kane would pay the accuser an undisclosed amount of money in exchange for her agreeing to relinquish any civil claims she may have against him. A settlement would likely also contain a confidentiality clause that bars both Kane and his accuser from ever speaking again about the incident.”

It might also leave open the question of Kane’s guilt, but that’s a trade-off someone in his position might have to make.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/11/03/patrick-kane-accuser-withdraws-what-next-rape-case

--

There's a whole lot more in this piece with insights from McCann.

In effect, Kane has "won", but there's no way of knowing whether that "victory" is symbolic or actually a representation of justice.

Living where I live, it's almost impossible to follow the NHL without checking online every night, and it's been too crazy for me to do so until tonight, and holy crap. I knew the Rangers had been playing well, but they're tied for the best record in the league, and haven't lost since before Halloween, along with giving up the least amount of goals by a decent margin for this early in the season.

It's insane to think of just how awesome they could be, if they could manage even a top 10 power play, to go with their top 5 penalty kill.

They're still not without holes. A lot of things are going really right for them right now that probably won't in the coming weeks. I believe they still have the leagues's best shooting percentage and save percentage at even strength, and their PDO score is through the roof because of it.

The law of averages says they'll regress to the mean. Good team, bordering on great, but being carried right now by stellar goaltending and one player (Zuccarello).

I also still think they need to figure out the bottom defensive pairing issue. Anytime Yandle/Boyle are out, I cringe.

Speaking of Boyle, he's likely retiring at the end of the season:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/hockey/final-go-round-for-blueshirt-1.1458701

Anytime those guys and "defense" (or any of its forms) are in the same sentence, I chuckle. They are basically a 5th line, and they haven't been very good at that. At least not as good at scoring goals, as they are at allowing them. I'm a McIlrath supporter, and I think they'd be best served giving the kid a chance, and doing it before the trade deadline.

I like McIlrath too, but he's got work to do. I'm not sure he's gonna be a more consistent, every day player until next season.

Best case scenario, they trade Yandle for a premium. Get a 4-6 right-side defenseman (preferably right-handed) and a second or third-round pick. Call up Skjei if he's ready to backfill into that third pairing.

I like McIlrath too, but he's got work to do. I'm not sure he's gonna be a more consistent, every day player until next season.

Best case scenario, they trade Yandle for a premium. Get a 4-6 right-side defenseman (preferably right-handed) and a second or third-round pick. Call up Skjei if he's ready to backfill into that third pairing.

How did I forget him, and how is he not more on the radar, now that the regular season is in full swing? He is going to be great, I'd almost guarantee it.

Also, I feel like shit for jinxing the run they were on, but nice to see Nash wake up finally, scoring that hat trick.

Skjei reminds me a lot of McDonagh in terms of his projection to the NHL. He's going to need at least half a season's worth of development in the AHL, but could end up being a mid-season call-up if there is an injury or trade.

I haven't actually watched any of the games, but his stat line in the AHL right now isn't great. 1-5-6 through 18 games, but a minus-6 in that span.

My guess is that starting next season he's going to make a strong push to make the opening night roster.

Also, ditto Nash. That game last night was... something. But when the team wins, the team wins. I try not to complain. There are still issues that need addressing (god, that third pairing...), but there is also plenty of time in the season to do so.

--

On a related note, WHERE ARE THE REST OF OUR HOCKEY FANS!? I'm talking to you, Habs, Justin, Nightmare, JMT, Lowdown, Thrilller, etc.

Stammerama is in full effect!

In case you've been living under a rock (which I presume most of our resident hockey fans have been considering how fucking dead this thread is this season (shame on you!), Steven Stamkos is front-and-center in the rumor mill regarding his status with the Lightning, and both Pierre LeBrun and Bob McKenzie—arguably the most accurate insiders in the game—have effectively predicted his exit this summer:

http://www.tsn.ca/all-signs-point-to-stamkos-leaving-tampa-1.410192

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...-star-steven-stamkos-play-toronto-next-season

Or if you don't want to call these predictions, you can at least call them premonitions. None of which are good if you are a Lightning fan.

Might we finally have another exciting July 1st this year?

Stammerama is in full effect!

In case you've been living under a rock (which I presume most of our resident hockey fans have been considering how fucking dead this thread is this season (shame on you!), Steven Stamkos is front-and-center in the rumor mill regarding his status with the Lightning, and both Pierre LeBrun and Bob McKenzie—arguably the most accurate insiders in the game—have effectively predicted his exit this summer:

http://www.tsn.ca/all-signs-point-to-stamkos-leaving-tampa-1.410192

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...-star-steven-stamkos-play-toronto-next-season

Or if you don't want to call these predictions, you can at least call them premonitions. None of which are good if you are a Lightning fan.

Might we finally have another exciting July 1st this year?

I am not under a rock, but I have been buying stock in Pepto, watching the Rangers nearly reverse their good luck from the first part of the season. Injuries can really fuck your world up, eh?

As for Stamkos...Good! In any other sport, I firmly support any big name player that stays with one team for as long as possible, and shows some loyalty. In the NHL though, for whatever reason, I've given up on that idea, and love seeing so much player movement. The offseason, to me, is one of the most exciting, and the trade deadline is definitely more exciting and active than any other sport. Stamkos did very well in Tampa, and for Tampa, but it's time to move on. They have other young talent, and will be okay in the long run.

It's been a few years since there's been a real marquee free agent to hit July 1st anyway, what with everyone signing max-length contracts, or close to it. All the best talent gets locked up and never ends up reaching UFA years, at least not until they've exited their prime years.

So I consider myself an absolute novice when it comes to NHL. I'm not as adverse in the history nor the more complicated rulings that may be within the sport the same way I am with the NFL. But even still, I've been watching it more and more... specifically Nashville Predators and Carolina Hurricanes because I happen to get two FS channels dedicated to each team respectively... I also get NBCSports which airs a few games that I try to catch if I can.

But anyway, the other night I was watching a game with one of my buds here in SC, and while he isn't as die hard as some of you, he did make an assumption that if the NHL isn't careful then Hurricanes could be seeing a solid run at the Cup.

Now, being the novice I am and knowing that teams like the Reds, Penguins, Blackhawks, and other teams are still in the NHL, I kind of debated the fact that Carolina could possibly be solid team but not Cup material. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I'm just gun shy on believing in Carolina teams... I mean look at what happened to Clemson in NCAA football.

Anyway, basically I wanted to ask if anybody could see possibly why my friend made his claim.

Sorry for getting to this so late. I've neglected my own thread, though in my defense, because it's barely paid attention to this season. I mean, we just had the trade deadline pass, and not a post has been made since. Dion Phaneuf — yes, Dion Phaneuf — was traded. So was James Reimer, Eric Staal and Andrew Ladd. Not a peep.

Anyway, to answer your question, I have no idea how to answer it. The Hurricanes are currently chasing the final wild card spot in the East but also sold their UFA players for futures at the deadline, including their captain, the aforementioned Eric Staal. Could they make the playoffs? Sure. Will they go far in them? I wouldn't bet money on it. But their underlying analytics look good for the young pieces they have that are going to be factors in the future. Namely Justin Faulk, Elias Lindholm, Andrej Nestrasil, Chris Terry, Victor Rask, Noah Hanifin, Jaccob Slavin and Brett Pesce.

The most important players on their roster are all under the age of 25, which in this current NHL product is key to maintaining a competitive roster with the league being so centrally focused on speed and skill at the moment.

But they lack a competitive starting goaltender (Cam Ward hasn't been good since 2006). With something to fall back on, reliably, in net. Sure, I could buy them as a playoff threat as soon as next season. But they're probably still years out from serious Cup contention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back