• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NHL Thread - 2010-11

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Official National Hockey League 2010-11 Season

All discussion, news, trades and signings!

nhl-logo.gif

--------------------------------------------------

Not sure why the 09-10 thread was unstuck, or why it couldn't have had it's title updated, but we need a thread for the season, so I figured I'd just make a new one.

--------------------------------------------------

In other news, the New York Rangers are reportedly inches away from signing ex-Sabres C/W Tim Kennedy to a one-year deal after he was bought out from his arbitration award of $1M.

According to his agent, the deal has yet to be finalized, but should be announced later this afternoon.

In other news The New York Islanders on Tuesday agreed to terms on a one-year contract with team captain Doug Weight. Terms of the deal were not released, but Newsday is reporting Weight will make $850,000 this season.

Also, Lee Stempniak was forced to wait it out and let the market set itself, but in the end the offer he got from the Phoenix Coyotes was enough to keep him in the desert for at least two more seasons.

Stempniak, who had 14 goals in 18 games as a Coyote at the end of last season, has signed a two-year contract that reportedly pays him an annual average salary of $1.9 million, with a lower dollar figure in year one ($1.5 million) and a higher figure in year two ($2.3 million) so it matches up with the Coyotes' 2010-11 budget.

Again, Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed free-agent defenseman Aaron Johnson to a one-year, two-way contract worth $550,000 at the National Hockey League level and $105,000 at the American Hockey League level.

150-johnson.jpg

Great signings all around. As a Leafs fan I was really pissed off to see Lee Stempniak get dealt but what can you do. Excited for the upcoming year, I expect my Leafs to crack a playoff spot for the first time in 5 years so it should be interesting.

Thesaurus with you 100% I am also a huge leafs fan and am hoping to see them in the playoffs this upcoming year. It definately will be interesting to see what happens this year but we can know this Toronto will be a hard team to play against will all the enforcers and hard hitters. Phaneuf will show a great amount of leadership for the team and with that he can hopefully lead them into the post season.

Leafs Re-sign Christian Hanson
Another Signing today, Brian Burke, president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Tuesday that the hockey club has signed restricted free agent forward Christian Hanson to a one-year contract. Terms were not disclosed on how much Hanson will be making this up and coming season. Hopefully he can provide some fire power for the leafs.

thumb_1266020019555_346372.jpg

Perhaps Philly will sign Guerin? Visits to the in-laws generally rank low on most husbands' lists of fun things to do, so veteran forward Bill Guerin decided it was the right time to hit the ice.

Guerin was in Medford, N.J., visiting his father-in-law when he wanted to find some place to skate. The best available place, however, happened to be in nearby Voorhees, at the Philadelphia Flyers' practice site, which sparked reports that Guerin, a free agent, was attempting to earn a tryout invitation with the Flyers. Guerin however said that he just wanted ice time do you think it is more than that?

300h.jpg

Sabres Re-sign Matt Ellis

The Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday re-signed unrestricted free agent forward Matt Ellis to a one-year contract on his 29th birthday.

Ellis spent the 2009-10 season in Buffalo, where he set career highs in games played (72), points (13) and assists (10). Ellis has 33 points (13 goals, 20 assists) in 187 career NHL games with Buffalo, Los Angeles and Detroit.

A native of Welland, Ont., Ellis joined Buffalo on Oct. 1, 2008, when he was claimed off waivers from Los Angeles. He was originally signed as undrafted free agent by Detroit on May 10, 2002, after playing junior hockey with the St. Michael's Majors.

97767955.jpg.29989_display_image.jpg

According to a report from Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos, his west coast source has confirmed that ex-Hawks goaltender Annti Niemi is expected to sign a one-year contract with the San José Sharks for a base of $2.0M.

I realize Sharks GM Doug Wilson was quoted as saying the Sharks wouldn't go after Niemi, and that he was happy with his tandem of Niittymäki and Griess, but the ability to pull in a Stanley Cup winning goaltender for $2.0M to compliment Niittymäki would make things breathe a little easier out in California this season, so if I'm a Sharks fan, I'm quite happy about this.

Niemi may be overrated, and granted he's an unorthodox goaltender, but the loss of Nabokov needed to be addressed, and unfortunately Niittymäki, as good as he can be, isn't enough alone. I'd be much more comfortable with two fringe starters than I would one and a rookie.

Reactions: RT
More On The Kovalchuk Situation

The Ilya Kovalchuk contract situation expected to reach a conclusion by 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday will instead continue until 5 p.m. ET Friday. The NHL and NHLPA mutually agreed to extend the deadline to accept or reject the latest contract Kovalchuk signed with the New Jersey Devils.

The contract, which reportedly calls for Kovalchuk to make $100 million over 15 years, was submitted to the NHL last Friday and the League originally had five days to review the contract before deciding if it was acceptable or not.

The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association today announced it was mutually agreed to extend the deadline by which the League must reach a decision on the contract between the Devils and Kovalchuk until Friday, 5 p.m. ET.

I personally am getting sick and tired of the NHL/NHLPA not making a decision hopefully this will all come to an end Friday at 5pm.

kovalchuk2-247x300.jpg

It's Official Niemi A Shark

The San Jose Sharks couldn't beat Antti Niemi last season in the Western Conference Final, so now they've made sure they won't have to face him again -- they signed the Stanley Cup-winning goaltender to a one-year contract Thursday.

Terms of the deal were not revealed, but multiple media reports say Niemi will make $2 million this season.

Like You said the Nabokov situation had to be dealt with and by adding Anti Niemi to the mix i think it solves that goaltending issue.

131668-antti-niemi_crop_340x234.jpg

Solid pick up for the Sharks. Niemi is better than Nittymaki so if you ever have the opportunity to get an upgrade you should take it, and 2 million a season isn't bad at all.

Marty Turco was introduced on Tuesday, and looking at everything as a whole, I'm excited for him to be on the team. The guy has great hands and could have had better stats with a better defense in front of him. He gets that in Chicago, with two tremendous defensive lines getting a great portion of ice time. Plus the guy is really down to Earth, like most hockey players. I heard him talking on the radio show I listen to, and he really is just a chill loose guy. I look forward to seeing him in the starting role.

Montreal Finally Signs Price

The Montreal Canadiens finally have their No. 1 goaltender in the fold, and Carey Price didn't miss a beat when asked during a conference call Thursday how many games he's hoping to play in this season.

"Eighty-two," Price responded, drawing laughs from reporters.

"I'd like to play a lot," he continued, "but that's going to be up to (coach) Jacques (Martin) in the end. I feel ready to play a lot of games, but I'm going to have to earn them all." The deal is for two years worth $5.5 million

Avs Sign Stewart

The Colorado Avalanche announced the signing of restricted free-agent forward Chris Stewart to a two-year contract through the 2011-12 season.

Stewart, 22, led Colorado with 28 goals and finished second on the team in scoring with 64 points in 77 games last season.

"We are pleased to have Chris Stewart under contract," said Avalanche General Manager/Executive Vice President Greg Sherman. "Chris was one of our top offensive players last season and we look forward to seeing him build on what he started a year ago."

Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal will miss the beginning of the team's training camp with a foot injury, but should be ready to go to open the regular season on Oct. 7, Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero announced Thursday.
Even after initially suffering the injury, the 21-year-old Staal returned to the lineup six days later for Game 4 and played for the rest of the series, one the Penguins would lose in seven games.

Staal has missed just one regular-season game -- in his rookie season -- in four seasons with Pittsburgh.

Penguins Sign Comrie

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Mike Comrie to a one-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The contract is for the 2010-11 season and is worth $500,000.

Comrie, 29, has played nine NHL seasons with Edmonton, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Ottawa and the NY Islanders. In 568 career games, he has posted 167 goals, 192 assists, 359 points and 48 power-play goals. Comrie has appeared in 32 postseason contests, totaling 10 points (4G-6A).

Great value for a player like Comrie. I think he'll be able to get back to his offensive ways in a place like Pittsburgh, he'll be good for a spark on the 3rd or 4th line, nice signing and at a great price.

Source NHL.com.

The Ilya Kovalchuk contract situation expected to reach a conclusion by 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday will instead continue until 7 p.m. ET Friday, two hours longer than original Friday 5 p.m. ET deadline. The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association announced it was mutually agreed to extend the deadline by which the League must reach a decision on the latest contract Kovalchuk signed with the New Jersey Devils.

The contract, which reportedly calls for Kovalchuk to make $100 million over 15 years, was submitted to the NHL last Friday and the League originally had five days to review the contract before deciding if it was acceptable or not.

And Buffalo Dave im sorry i should have known better and your right atleast the Kovalchuk saga is over. The question is he worth 100 million dollars. I guess we will soon find out whether he will help the team or hurt the team

Rolling Thunder, when you copy an article make sure you use the quote button, instead of just coping the article and posting it, thats called plagiarism what you are doing. You quote it, give the source where you got it, then give your opinion on the article.

Source ESPN:

NEWARK, N.J. -- The NHL has signed off on Ilya Kovalchuk's latest contract with the New Jersey Devils.

Five weeks after rejecting the Russian's landmark 17-year, $102 million contract with the Devils, the league approved a revised 15-year, $100 million deal on Friday after reaching an agreement with the NHL Players Association on an amendment covering long-term contracts.

Kovalchuk
Jay Grossman, Kovalchuk's agent, confirmed the agreement in an e-mail, The Associated Press reported.

A source told ESPN.com's Scott Burnside that as part of the amendment, the NHL has agreed to stop looking into the long-term deals of Chris Pronger, Roberto Luongo, Marc Savard and Marian Hossa.

In exchange for allowing those four contracts and Kovalchuk's new deal to stand under the old rules, the NHLPA agreed to new regulations governing how front-loaded, long-term contracts count against the salary cap.

In the future, the salary cap hit for any contract that is five years or more in length and takes a player to his 41st birthday or beyond will be determined by the average of the yearly salaries only until the year in which the player turns 40.

All remaining years in the deal after a player turns 41 will be recalculated based on the salary of those final years of the contract, according to the source.

The two-tiered cap system will prevent GMs from signing players like Kovalchuk to long-term deals with a dramatically reduced salary at the end of the contract designed to lower the salary cap.

For example, the original Kovalchuk deal would be allowed under the new rules, but the salary cap hit would be based on the first 13 years of the deal. When Kovalchuk turns 40, the cap hit would be recalculated based on the final four years of the contract. Under the amendment, the first 13 years of the original deal would cost the Devils $7.68 million annually against the salary cap while the final four years, when Kovalchuk would almost certainly have been retired, would come with a cap hit of $550,000.

"You could still do [that deal] but you can't use the five years at $550,000 to bring down the cap hit. It's almost two separate contracts really," the source said.

While the five contracts at issue will be honored at their current values, the new agreement agreed upon on Friday will cover any new contracts.

"Getting all those deals approved in exchange for [the new regulations] is a great deal," for the NHLPA, the source told ESPN.com.

The NHL had rejected the Devils' initial offer because it violated the league's salary cap. An arbiter upheld that decision after the union filed a grievance.

With 338 goals and 304 assists in 642 career games, Kovalchuk was the biggest prize on the NHL free agent market this season. The 27-year-old left wing had 41 goals and 44 assists in 2009-10, a season he split between Atlanta and the Devils, who acquired him in a multi-player deal in February.

As it stands, Kovalchuk's new deal will put a $6.67 million annual hit on the Devils' salary cap and put the team roughly $3 million over the league limit ($59.4 million) with only 21 players under contract, two under the league limit.

With a full roster, Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello probably is going to have to clear about $5 million in cap space before the season starts on Oct. 8.

While the annual salary breakdown for the deal was not immediately available, Kovalchuk will earn significantly more money in the final five years.

Well at least the Kovalchuk saga is over. It's funny how they drop 2 years and 2 million dollars now its approved. It's good after this deal that now teams are not allowed to sign players to long contracts like this with the front being loaded and making far less in the final years for salary cap reasons. Now that the Devils have him signed they still have to free up a few players to get below the cap, so that puts them in a position to break up the team and hurt their chances of repeating what they did last year. They thought Kovalchuk was the answer, now they have to make changes, with that team getting older it was probably in their best interest to let him go, and sign a few of the players that were free agents right in the beginning of the summer to much shorter contracts. It would make it easier to rebuild when the time comes in a few years.

Well thank god this whole thing is finally over. It has been dragged out for so long that basically every hockey fan in the world is relieved, Devils fan even more so.

The interesting part for the Devs is now. They still need to clear up a good amount of money. The main names being thrown around in trades are Zubrus, Salvador, and the less likely Langenbrunner and Zajac. I think Zubrus and Salvador can be replaced pretty easily. The team has a few good defensive prospects that could soon be in a starting role once Salvador is traded. I'm still undecided about trading Langenbrunner, but I am 100% opposed to the idea of trading Zajac. He has been getting better every year and I feel he has a lot of potential to be maybe a top 10 center in the league.

All in all, I am really excited for next year. A new coach hopefully mean no more trapping. October can't come fast enough.

I'm definitely glad the whole Kovalchuk thing is finally over. It really put a damper on the off season as every other transaction that was made seemed to be overshadowed by the Kovalchuk talk. Now everyone can move on and get ready for hockey.

On a side note I think that Montreal definitely kept the wrong goalie. Halak completely outplayed Price last season and was the reason they made the playoffs and then went as far as they did. I would never want to get rid of a guy that has proven he can win in the playoffs. I don't care how high of a pick Price was.

Just browsing at the NHL section at ESPN and seen that the Atlanta Thrashers signed Fredrik Modin to a 1 year deal.

Modin had some good years in Tampa Bay, but since leaving he had only one solid year with Columbus the rest were injury plagued seasons with him not producing much at all. It is a decent move for Atlanta, the terms of the deal were not mentioned, but I'm sure it's not more than 1.5 million. If he stays healthy he can definitely help them out.

Just browsing at the NHL section at ESPN and seen that the Atlanta Thrashers signed Fredrik Modin to a 1 year deal.

Modin had some good years in Tampa Bay, but since leaving he had only one solid year with Columbus the rest were injury plagued seasons with him not producing much at all. It is a decent move for Atlanta, the terms of the deal were not mentioned, but I'm sure it's not more than 1.5 million. If he stays healthy he can definitely help them out.

They also signed Nigel Dawes yesterday, which speaking as a Rangers fan who's seen Dawes' potential first-hand should bode well for the fast-food chains in Hot-lanta who's profits will sky-rocket once ol' McNuggets himself gets himself into town.

Dawes is the epitome of what happens when an abundance of talent resides in the body of an unmotivated and lazy player.

On a side-note, Fedotenko has been extended an invite to the Rangers' training camp coming up in two weeks. Doubt he makes the club considering his performance last season with the Penguins, but competition is always a good thing. Can't hurt to help to push some of our other guys.

Ex-Leafs defenseman Garnet Exelby, as well as ex-Penguin left-wing Ruslan Fedotenko and ex-Shark/Dynamo defenseman Alexei Semenov have all confirmed they have accepted try-out contracts with the New York Rangers whose camp begins this Friday.

The Rangers have been after XLB for years now, dating back to his days in Atlanta prior to the trade to Toronto, and even tried to acquire him via trade last season to no avail, so that move doesn't surprise me at all. He may be a less-than-stellar (or even less-than-average) defender, but this is all about cost v. benefit for me—that is, is the cost of dressing a less-than-stellar (or even less-than-average) defenseman greater than the benefit of having an overt-physical presence on your team when it might be needed? To me the answer is quite clearly no.

Is he spectacular in any sense (outside of perhaps being able to throw numerous hits on a single shift)? No. Does he have any offensive game? Nope. Is he adequate as a 7th defenseman occasionally dressed for games to play a small and measured number of minutes against opposing teams with an abundance of physical players? Absolutely.

As for Fedotenko and Semenov...

'Tank has been on the decline for some time now, and while I'm no stranger or real opponent to inexpensive reclamation projects, to me he's simply a victim of the numbers game seeing as he's coming into camp competing with a glut of LW's who will undoubtedly put him well out of reach of securing a roster spot in Avery, Grachev, Kennedy, Dubinsky, Prospal, Frolov and Boogaard.

And Semenov? Too little too late. I'd have welcomed him (as I did) as our seventh last season, but with XLB in the fold, Semenov doesn't bring quite enough physicality or much else to warrant a spot, I'd imagine. Should have just accepted the deal he got last season and not gone to the KHL for more money if he really wanted to be here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back