NFLN: Wade Phillips Fired as Dallas Cowboys HC

Kidd

Pre-Show Stalwart
NFLN is reporting that Wade Phillips has been fired as Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

It's being speculated that Jason Garrett will be name Interim Head Coach.

I was pulling for DeCamillis myself because he's more of an ass kicker but at least Wade is gone.

Old Yeller had to be taken out back and shot. Jerry Jones has finally done what should've been done for two weeks when this team quit.

Why would they install Jason Garrett as the interim head coach? He had one phenomenal year as an OC but is absolute shit now. I don't see how you can have that many talented wide receivers but still fail to make any noise on the field.

Why would they install Jason Garrett as the interim head coach? He had one phenomenal year as an OC but is absolute shit now. I don't see how you can have that many talented wide receivers but still fail to make any noise on the field.

The reason they'd probably give it to Garrett is to see if he has any potential as head coach. I think it is worth the risk. If Garrett can truly be a head coach in this league then you got to give him the shot and see if he worth keeping around instead of not giving him the job and risk losing him in the offseason to another team. I for one think the move needed to be done, as the Cowboys are going nowhere this season and if Garrett gets the job we'll see if he shows any signs of being a solid head coach.

It's kinda hard to get the ball into these WRs hands when your QB is laid out flat on his back due to no blocking from the O-line.

Jason Garrett was the best option, which is why they went with him. None of the other coaches on staff are real Head Coach candidates (I don't think any of the other coaches on staff have ever even received an interview before), and Garrett at one point was getting serious consideration.

The only other choice would be Special Teams coach Joe DiCamillis, whom is a long-time Cowboys coach, and is a pretty good motivator (something the Boys obviously need). He could have been given the job as a thank you with no expectations to get it after the season.

Jason Garrett was the best option, which is why they went with him. None of the other coaches on staff are real Head Coach candidates (I don't think any of the other coaches on staff have ever even received an interview before), and Garrett at one point was getting serious consideration.

The only other choice would be Special Teams coach Joe DiCamillis, whom is a long-time Cowboys coach, and is a pretty good motivator (something the Boys obviously need). He could have been given the job as a thank you with no expectations to get it after the season.

I really question Jason Garrett's head coaching potential. He had one nice year as O coordinator but he hasn't been overly impressive since then. He is still an upgrade from Wade Phillips but I would have gone with Dave Campo instead. Campo has been part of the Cowboy's organization for 17 years total and has also been their head coach in the past from 2000-2002. He obviously wouldn't be a long term solution but I just don't think Jason Garrett has what it takes, especially at this point, to be a head coach.

Garrett is just getting the test run with the rest of this season. It's already a lost year for Dallas so they're going to expirement with Jason and see what he can do at the healm. This was really the best move for them even if Garrett only had his one sand out year that everyone got on his dick for. Jerry will be watching every move closer than he normally would and if Garrett does anything promising with the remaining schedule the team will be his next year. If they keep playing the way they are now or even barely improved then the team will be on a head coach search this offseason. Campo wouldn't be a good fit though, even with his expirence. They guy went 5-11 all three of his years as head coach, granted the teams he had then were fairly shit compared to the contender Dallas should have been this season.

So its better to give a guy who has no head coaching experience the job with a team that was overhyped, with their star QB out? I don't like the timing of the move personally. As was said, he had one great year as oc and that was all. The time to fire Phillips had come and gone already. Firing him and giving the job to Garett isn't going to take them to the playoffs, or make this team any better. Let Phillips finish out the year and find a big head coach to turn this thing around. That would have been my decision. But I see why everyone felt the need to do it.

Garrett is just getting the test run with the rest of this season. It's already a lost year for Dallas so they're going to expirement with Jason and see what he can do at the healm. This was really the best move for them even if Garrett only had his one sand out year that everyone got on his dick for. Jerry will be watching every move closer than he normally would and if Garrett does anything promising with the remaining schedule the team will be his next year. If they keep playing the way they are now or even barely improved then the team will be on a head coach search this offseason. Campo wouldn't be a good fit though, even with his expirence. They guy went 5-11 all three of his years as head coach, granted the teams he had then were fairly shit compared to the contender Dallas should have been this season.

The thing is, there is very little chance that Jason Garrett gets hired as the Cowboys head coach next year, meaning he will most likely be gone from the organization. The experience may be good for him but it really doesn't help the Cowboys at all this year nor in the future. Campo may have been an unsuccessful head coach but he has been loyal to the Cowboys organization and he has that head coaching experience so the chances of Dallas being somewhat respectable for the rest of the year would be greater with him at the helm.

The thing is, there is very little chance that Jason Garrett gets hired as the Cowboys head coach next year, meaning he will most likely be gone from the organization. The experience may be good for him but it really doesn't help the Cowboys at all this year nor in the future. Campo may have been an unsuccessful head coach but he has been loyal to the Cowboys organization and he has that head coaching experience so the chances of Dallas being somewhat respectable for the rest of the year would be greater with him at the helm.
I'd say that the chances of him getting the job next season are decent, depending on how the rest of this season goes. The remaining schedule is like a tryout for Garrett. As far as Campo goes loyalty means fuck all in the NFL unfortunatly, I think that he had his chance with the team and Jerry will keep him where he is right now. Besides this season is lost, they aren't going to try to make a big run with the firing or Wade Phillips. That's what this move seems to be about. They lost this season and giving the team to Garrett is working towards the next season. If the coach isn't Garrett next season I'd put money on it being a guy from outside of the organization.

I'd say that the chances of him getting the job next season are decent, depending on how the rest of this season goes. The remaining schedule is like a tryout for Garrett. As far as Campo goes loyalty means fuck all in the NFL unfortunatly, I think that he had his chance with the team and Jerry will keep him where he is right now. Besides this season is lost, they aren't going to try to make a big run with the firing or Wade Phillips. That's what this move seems to be about. They lost this season and giving the team to Garrett is working towards the next season. If the coach isn't Garrett next season I'd put money on it being a guy from outside of the organization.

Loyalty in most cases means jack shit in the NFL but Jerry Jones is one of a few people that actually takes something like that into consideration. As far as Garrett getting the job next year, Jerry Jones would be making a big mistake. The guy has only been coaching for 6 seasons and is not the type of personality that Dallas needs. The Cowboys season may be lost this year but they still have to go out and look respectable. I think there would be a better chance of that happening with a guy like Campo.

I really question Jason Garrett's head coaching potential. He had one nice year as O coordinator but he hasn't been overly impressive since then. He is still an upgrade from Wade Phillips but I would have gone with Dave Campo instead. Campo has been part of the Cowboy's organization for 17 years total and has also been their head coach in the past from 2000-2002. He obviously wouldn't be a long term solution but I just don't think Jason Garrett has what it takes, especially at this point, to be a head coach.

Is Dave Campo even on the staff? I haven't the foggiest idea what he's done since he got fired for being a bad head coach in Dallas. Of all the options (incluiding Wade Phillips), Garrett was the best fit. The players literally didn't even try against Green Bay (and pretty much all season), and they aren't going to bring someone in from outside the organization in mid-season. Garrett has been with the team for years, had a great year which made him a hot candidate for vacant Head Coaching jobs. Yes his offense fell off slightly, but he did win a playoff game last year, you know.

Loyalty in most cases means jack shit in the NFL but Jerry Jones is one of a few people that actually takes something like that into consideration. As far as Garrett getting the job next year, Jerry Jones would be making a big mistake. The guy has only been coaching for 6 seasons and is not the type of personality that Dallas needs. The Cowboys season may be lost this year but they still have to go out and look respectable. I think there would be a better chance of that happening with a guy like Campo.
We will have to disagree then, I think that the freshness of Garrett would be better for this Dallas team as opposed to a guy that had his chance and didn't do much with it. Either way the Cowboys aren't doing shit this year and that makes me happy. In all honestly Tony Romo is one of this teams biggest problems in my eyes, but that's a conversation for a different day.

Is Dave Campo even on the staff? I haven't the foggiest idea what he's done since he got fired for being a bad head coach in Dallas. Of all the options (incluiding Wade Phillips), Garrett was the best fit. The players literally didn't even try against Green Bay (and pretty much all season), and they aren't going to bring someone in from outside the organization in mid-season. Garrett has been with the team for years, had a great year which made him a hot candidate for vacant Head Coaching jobs. Yes his offense fell off slightly, but he did win a playoff game last year, you know.

Campo has been the Cowboys secondary coach since 2008. I agree 100% that the players didn't try against Green Bay, which is why I like Campo better then Garrett. Campo doesn't hesitate to yell at guys that fuck up and he actually has leadership experience. Garret may have been calling the offensive plays for a playoff win last year but Campo has called defensive plays for a Super Bowl win. I could be wrong but Garrett seems to have a more laid back personality similar to that of Wade Phillips. Garrett is basically living off one great year as O coordinator and I do not think he is ready for this job.

Campo has been the Cowboys secondary coach since 2008. I agree 100% that the players didn't try against Green Bay, which is why I like Campo better then Garrett. Campo doesn't hesitate to yell at guys that fuck up and he actually has leadership experience. Garret may have been calling the offensive plays for a playoff win last year but Campo has called defensive plays for a Super Bowl win. I could be wrong but Garrett seems to have a more laid back personality similar to that of Wade Phillips. Garrett is basically living off one great year as O coordinator and I do not think he is ready for this job.
The way I see it is that we know what you get from Campo, and that's not a good Head Coach (he did get fired, you know). We don't know what we'd get from Garrett, and I think anybody will do better then what they had.

The one thing that this team needs to do is make a change at Quarterback. Kitna is garbage, at least let this McGee kid get a shot for a few games, maybe you find a diamond in the rough with him and he can win a few games.

The way I see it is that we know what you get from Campo, and that's not a good Head Coach (he did get fired, you know). We don't know what we'd get from Garrett, and I think anybody will do better then what they had.

I see where you're coming from but one thing I will say about Campo is that he never had a team with this much talent during his tenure as Cowboy's head coach. His first game as head coach in his first year he lost Joey Galloway for the season and Troy Aikman for part of it because of concussion problems. Aikman then retired and he was stuck with the likes of Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, and Clint Stoerner as his quarterbacks for the next two seasons.

The Cowboys have nothing left to lose by naming Garrett as interim coach. If he does good then they know what they have in him but if he doesnt then they know he isnt the man for the job and they would get a better draft choice due to having a poor season. I think this is the best move the Boys could have made at this point in the season...

Unless Garrett turns this unit around and at least gets them some wins, I can't imagine he'll be retained come year's end, either. I can not stand the Cowboys, but at least they finally made a move that some teams still can't understand the need to do. (Niners, Chargers, Vikings)

Wade didn't deserve to be a Head Coach. He clearly shows no spine. In every interview, he seemed beaten and whipped. Real HC's need a backbone, they need to stand up for themselves and their team. All Wade ever did was shake his head and act like he was close to crying everytime he was asked about what went wrong. Dallas is suppose to be this glorious team, and all they've been for years now is some second rate hack job, that continues to try and sell themselves as something they aren't even remotely close to being - a Championship contending team.

You can go out and sign as many star WRs as you want. You can go out and promote having great RBs all you want. You can shove your QB into the media until his name is plastered all over every billboard in Dallas. Until you get a line that's going to give that star QB time to find his star talent that surrounds him, you aren't going to accomplish anything except failure.

Defenses can only last so long before they cave. Carolina is proof of this. They keep the Panthers in every game with strong play, and never quit attitudes. However, when the offense doesn't produce first downs or points of any kind - that Defense gets tired after working so hard to try and keep them in it.

As for next year, and a connecting point.. I question whether or not John Fox would take a job as Dallas' Head Coach. If Jerry Jones wants a Coach who commands respect and makes his team work, even at 1-7.. Fox is the guy you'll be looking for. No one on the Panthers team is pointing fingers at each other and casting blame. Fox is the reason for this. I respect the hell out of Fox and would never want to see him in Dallas, but with whats just happened - it might just happen.

I still don't see why a change should have been made now. I don't blame Jones for making the decision, but look who you guys are arguing as to who should take over. Campo? Garrett? What can they do for the Cowboys right now? Take them to 5-11?

My issue-I'll repeat- is that the time had come and gone for this move. The Cowboys are not going to make the playoffs. Romo still isn't coming back soon, so Kitna is starting. Why have Garett take over a bad team, or anybody else take over when they aren't that good? I know I know, you can't quit on the season and Jones said this move shouldn't be seen as them giving up. But looking at their remaining schedule, they have about 4 winnable games. And that has nothing to do with who is the head coach. And who is to say that this team is going to respond?

Again, I don't blame them for the move, but I just don't think it was necessary. I would have let Phillips finish the season, go 2-14, get my top 2 draft pick, and find me a big time head coach instead of choosing whether a former bad head coach or guy with no head coaching experience should take over my bad team.

I still don't see why a change should have been made now. I don't blame Jones for making the decision, but look who you guys are arguing as to who should take over. Campo? Garrett? What can they do for the Cowboys right now? Take them to 5-11?

My issue-I'll repeat- is that the time had come and gone for this move. The Cowboys are not going to make the playoffs. Romo still isn't coming back soon, so Kitna is starting. Why have Garett take over a bad team, or anybody else take over when they aren't that good? I know I know, you can't quit on the season and Jones said this move shouldn't be seen as them giving up. But looking at their remaining schedule, they have about 4 winnable games. And that has nothing to do with who is the head coach. And who is to say that this team is going to respond?

Again, I don't blame them for the move, but I just don't think it was necessary. I would have let Phillips finish the season, go 2-14, get my top 2 draft pick, and find me a big time head coach instead of choosing whether a former bad head coach or guy with no head coaching experience should take over my bad team.

The move had to be made because the Cowboys were not competitive. Obviously they aren't going to make the playoffs but you still have to put a quality product out on the field and try to bring some excitement to a fan base that is legitimately pissed off and rightfully so. They needed to generate a spark and firing the head coach in this situation could possibly do that.

The move had to be made because the Cowboys were not competitive. Obviously they aren't going to make the playoffs but you still have to put a quality product out on the field and try to bring some excitement to a fan base that is legitimately pissed off and rightfully so. They needed to generate a spark and firing the head coach in this situation could possibly do that.

I understand that, but wasn't the discussion in your "midseason firing" thread that you have to have someone that can take over? And I guess this isn't really addressed to you, because you have also argued against Garrett taking over (although you said Campo should). What has Garrett done to be put in this position? This is the same guy who, instead of taking a knee at the end of the first half, decided to call a play and we know what happened there. This is the same guy who can't figure out how use the weapons on his offense. And he is suppose to take over this team?

I get the whole "shake things up and create a spark" idea, but at the same time, replacing Wade with a guy on his staff who is just as responsible for the failure of this team as Wade is, just doesn't make much sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back