Rob Ryan a possible DC for Dallas?

Kidd

Pre-Show Stalwart
The Cowboys are in contract negotiations with Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to take over that role in Dallas.

Ryan was defensive coordinator for the Raiders in 2004-08 but made the move to Cleveland last season.

Ryan is the twin brother of New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan and the son of former NFL coach Buddy Ryan.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones removed the interim tag off head coach Jason Garrett Jan. 7 and is still looking for a defensive coordinator. The previous regime ran a 3-4 defense, and with most of the defensive personnel intact, Ryan fits the mold since he operates a similar scheme.

The Browns hired Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur as their head coach Thursday and might be looking to move in a different direction on defense.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dallas-cowboys-rob-ryan-contract-talks-011411

This would make me extremely happy! I can overlook what his dad did 20 yrs ago in exchange for a defense that has some bite!

Rob Ryan is a great defensive coordinator. He seems to get the best out of his players and usually puts out a solid defense year in and year out. He would be a great fit for Garrett and the boys. It would allow Garrett to keep his focus on the offensive side of the ball and he wouldn't have to get himself involved too much on the defensive side of things with Ryan manning down the fort. Plus with the experience of being the DC of a big time market it could expose Ryan more than before and elevate him into a HC job in a season or two.

Ryan’s 3-4 is different than Wade Phillips’ 3-4. His is more of a two-gap scheme, like what Bill Parcells had with the Cowboys. But his time with Belichick should tell you he can and will have all sorts of different looks to confuse offenses.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4677192/rob-ryan-would-bring-an-energy-to-d

Considering Ryan will have the personnel that Parcells drafted for this purpose, I am anticipating what he does with the 23rd ranked defense... Wait, didn't Cleveland have the 22nd ranked defense last year, which was a NINE spot climb from 2009? I understand the Cowboys plummeted in the defensive ranks, and I see how much the Browns improved this season, but there's a lot to be desired from this combination. The ESPN article also states that the Browns sack total dropped from 40 to 29 in 2010 from 2009. Marcus Benard led the Browns in sacks with 7.5 in '10, so I must say I am excited to see what havoc Ware will release on opposing offenses in 2011. But, seeing what results the 'Boys are bringing in, I am cautiously curious overall.

EDIT: Theo, I agree completely with your thought about allowing Garrett to focus to on the offense, his obvious strength. But Buddy Ryan, Rob and Rex's dad, wasn't that great of a coach, seeing his attitude and big mouth got him into many a fix (something we may or may not say about Rex at any point in the future), so his potential as a HC is average, at best.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4677192/rob-ryan-would-bring-an-energy-to-d

Considering Ryan will have the personnel that Parcells drafted for this purpose, I am anticipating what he does with the 23rd ranked defense... Wait, didn't Cleveland have the 22nd ranked defense last year, which was a NINE spot climb from 2009? I understand the Cowboys plummeted in the defensive ranks, and I see how much the Browns improved this season, but there's a lot to be desired from this combination. The ESPN article also states that the Browns sack total dropped from 40 to 29 in 2010 from 2009. Marcus Benard led the Browns in sacks with 7.5 in '10, so I must say I am excited to see what havoc Ware will release on opposing offenses in 2011. But, seeing what results the 'Boys are bringing in, I am cautiously curious overall.
Yes, the Browns sack total dropped some. Whoop-dee-doo. Their defense as a whole was better, and it was because of Rob Ryan coaching them up. As you said, their defense got a lot better then they were the year before.

You also have to realize that defensive numbers can also be greatly affected by your teams defense. If the Offense isn't very good (which Clevelands wasn't), it generally leads to ineffective defenses, because they can't stay off the field. The Cowboys offense, combined with Rob Ryans D, will lead to the Cowboys being a top 10 defense, maybe even top 5. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas won the NFC East this upcoming season.

EDIT: Theo, I agree completely with your thought about allowing Garrett to focus to on the offense, his obvious strength. But Buddy Ryan, Rob and Rex's dad, wasn't that great of a coach, seeing his attitude and big mouth got him into many a fix (something we may or may not say about Rex at any point in the future), so his potential as a HC is average, at best.
buddy-ryan-chicago-bears-super-bowl-celebration-autographed-photograph-3339807.jpg

You gotta be shitting me, man. Buddy Ryan was one of the greatest defensive coaches of ALL TIME. The 1985 Chicago Bears won the Super Bowl BECAUSE OF THE DEFENSE, WHICH WAS AMONG THE BEST ALL-TIME. As a Head Coach, he never reached the level that he did as a D-Coordinator, but they still had a pretty good defense. He was(is) brash, yes, but he was also a PHENOMENAL defensive coach, as can be seen by the whole 1985 Bears carrying him off the field after the Super Bowl (pictured above).

And Rob Ryan as the Cowboys D-Coordinator has nothing to do with his potential as a Head Coach. He could have virtually no potential as a HC, but for the Cowboys, it's an amazing hire. I know the Dallas Media loves the hire, because (if the assistants are allowed to talk) they will have plenty of things to write about, since Rob (like Rex) is very much like his father.

Yes, the Browns sack total dropped some. Whoop-dee-doo. Their defense as a whole was better, and it was because of Rob Ryan coaching them up. As you said, their defense got a lot better then they were the year before.

You also have to realize that defensive numbers can also be greatly affected by your teams defense. If the Offense isn't very good (which Clevelands wasn't), it generally leads to ineffective defenses, because they can't stay off the field. The Cowboys offense, combined with Rob Ryans D, will lead to the Cowboys being a top 10 defense, maybe even top 5. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas won the NFC East this upcoming season.

buddy-ryan-chicago-bears-super-bowl-celebration-autographed-photograph-3339807.jpg

You gotta be shitting me, man. Buddy Ryan was one of the greatest defensive coaches of ALL TIME. The 1985 Chicago Bears won the Super Bowl BECAUSE OF THE DEFENSE, WHICH WAS AMONG THE BEST ALL-TIME. As a Head Coach, he never reached the level that he did as a D-Coordinator, but they still had a pretty good defense. He was(is) brash, yes, but he was also a PHENOMENAL defensive coach, as can be seen by the whole 1985 Bears carrying him off the field after the Super Bowl (pictured above).

And Rob Ryan as the Cowboys D-Coordinator has nothing to do with his potential as a Head Coach. He could have virtually no potential as a HC, but for the Cowboys, it's an amazing hire. I know the Dallas Media loves the hire, because (if the assistants are allowed to talk) they will have plenty of things to write about, since Rob (like Rex) is very much like his father.

They could end up winning the East, but I still think the Eagles will be a formidable opponent for that title. Along with the low sacks number, however, the Browns were 32th in the NFL in Forced Fumbles (10), but 20th in Fumbles Recovered (9), showing that if they place pressure on the opposing team, they can force mistakes... but it happened so rarely, it's effects were moot. I am excited about the combination of Garrett on O and Ryan on D, though. (Stats from ESPN.com)

You're right, Buddy was a great DEFENSIVE COACH, but a poor HC, at best. He developed and honed the 46 into an excellent scheme, and even had a winning record in Philly, but he could not win a playoff game. Heck, he even bickered openly with Gilbride in Houston and Ditka in Chicago. The picture above came a month or so after Ditka and Ryan had to be separated on the sidelines of their only loss against Miami. You are right, though, the Dallas media will eat up anything Ryan says because it'll make headlines, which I have yet to hear from Garrett.

I may be completely wrong comparing the two in terms of HC potential... but, taking their relation into consideration, it is a warranted comparison.

The only stats of Ryan's that really matter to me is the fact that his team was in the top half in points allowed and I think they were in the top half in turnovers as well.

These, my friends are what wins championships!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back