Next "Spear" User

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
So throughout the history of the WWE there has always been a Superstar who has used the "Spear" as either a signature or a finishing maneuveur. Now with Edge's retirement there is no longer a spear user. So I post the question who will be the next to use the spear?

If there was one superstar that I would like to see use the spear it would be none other than Skip Sheffield. I think his Clothesline is a weak finiisher and he has the right body type to do it. I think he could do it in a way the mixes Batista's unpredicatability but also has Edge's hype. I like having bigger superstars using it and think that it suits bigger characters.

If not Sheffield then I would say Ryan because it doesn't seem like he has a set finisher and he reminds me much of Batista. I think this would work, however I think I would like Sheffield better. There is just a part of me that doesn't like the idea of a British person using the spear.

What's your thoughts on who should use the Spear next.

My first inclination was Ryan, but I think you're right on with Sheffield. To me, Sheffield is a red neck version of Goldberg, and I think giving him the spear would do wonders for his career. I'd kind of like him to take the Bobby Lashley approach to using the spear though; take a football type stance and then charge like hell.

Of course, I think Christian should have the full rights to the spear for the time being. In fact, I will be sorely disappointed if he doesn't hit a spear in his match with Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship.

I'm pretty sure I remember Skip Sheffield using it very well once before. If/When he comes back to TV, he should be repackaged and probably use it. But to be honest, I din't think it will be used for a while. The kids know it as Edge's move, so Vince will probably wait a while before letting someone use it.

Skip to 1:24 for the Sheffield spear (no pun intended).

[YOUTUBE]ID5_cXWHw3M[/YOUTUBE]

Of course, I think Christian should have the full rights to the spear for the time being. In fact, I will be sorely disappointed if he doesn't hit a spear in his match with Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship.

I agree. I would love to see Christian spear del rio in the championship match. He just has to, just for the sake of honoring his best friend. Maybe he'll hit a superspear like Edge did before.

As far as the current WWE, i dont see anyone using it really. It would be too early to have someone use it. I think they'd have to bring in someone else and groom him to eventually use it. Someone who isn't in the WWE right now. Because if someone uses it now, it will all be linked to Edge. It would be "He did that for Edge" or "How could he use Edge's move!" so i think they'll wait.

I think that Skip Sheffield isn't a bad choice by any means, but I have to admit that I really like his clothesline. It's vicious and very high impact. Considering JBL isn't around to do the Clothesline From Hell, I think that Skip could easily continue with that move.

I wouldn't want to see Christian use it, to be honest, it just doesn't match his style. If he were to borrow from Edge, I'd like to see him add the Edgecator. A good submission hold would work better in his repertoire.

Personally, I think that the Spear needs to be given to somebody that: A) Has a strong and somewhat stocky body type. B) Could use it to get some recognition.

As much as I liked Edge, I never liked his Spear. He was too tall and lanky, and I found that it lacked the sheer impact that guys like Rhino and Goldberg had when they hit it. I'd like to see somebody with a more compact physique use it. Also, it is a high profile, instantly recognizable move. It could be used to elevate somebody from the lower card.

My pick goes to Tyler Reks. He's more compact than Edge, and has a crazy look, which I think meshes well with the Spear. While I am a fan of the Burning Hammer as a finisher, I hate the way Reks does the move, so I don't consider it a loss. I think that some wins with a Spear could easily elevate him to a solid mid-carder, possibly going up for a mid-card title run.

Overall there are a variety of choices that we could have here.

Of course you have the obvious Christian uses it on Del Rio situation, but hey I would not like to see this happening as it just wouldn't look right and would kind of ruin it for me.

You then have Skip Sheffield. A menacing fellow, who I think this could actually work well with as he is quite a big guy, and spears look better when big guys perform them.

Lastly we have Mason Ryan, he again is a monster of a figure, and you've got to wonder if he will be the next one to use the spear.

So as I say Ryan or Sheffield, I honestly don't know which one it'll be though

I'm going way way way off the map here with my choice, and may even have a new storyline. My pick for the next "spear" user is Curt Hawkins

It works like this, in the next coming weeks he keeps havng backstage vignettes with Christian talking about being an "edgehead" etc. Then at the PPV he comes out to help Christiann and spears Del Rio and or Brodus Clay. Hawkins then spears Christian after Christian pins Del Rio, and tells the world that he is "Edges handpicked successor to the title" leading to a feud between Hawkins and Christian over the title. a little over the top maybe but I think it could work

So throughout the history of the WWE there has always been a Superstar who has used the "Spear" as either a signature or a finishing maneuveur.
Is that true? I can only think of Edge, Batista, (sometimes) Big Show, Goldberg. But pre-1997 I don't remember any spear users. The way I saw it it wasn't really used until Goldberg made it his thing.

What about Alberto del Rio? What better way to gain heat then to steal your arch rivals signature move. If he wins the World heavyweight title at TLC, he can say he took his title, and his move. Del Rio really doesn't have that "finisher" to gain a pinfall, he only has the cross-arm breaker to make his opponent tap. If he uses the spear, he gains more heat and we'll be seeing a spear on a weekly basis.

I can't stand recycled finishers/signatures. It's no longer YOUR signature when you do it and the spear gave every edge match a predictable garbage finish.

Besides, doesn't Big Show still do that move?

And I'm with Kurt. Fuck Orton and Swagger. Show some fuckin respect. At least wait til angle retires before you bite his shit.

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt Swagger already do the spear from time to time or am I thinking of someone else?

Of the guys proposed I'd say skip could pull it off after all hes a big dude and that really a large wrestlers type move.

This is a tough one. First of all, I think it will be a while before anyone can use the Spear again, just because everyone is going to think of Edge when that someone does it. But, if someone has to get the Spear, I agree Skip Sheffield or Mason Ryan will be perfect for it, just because it gets more impact when a big man performs it. I think if anyone gets to use it early on like this, it will be Christian as an honor to Edge. But I still don't think it will be anyone's finisher for a while.

Yeah I say give it to Sheffield. Repackage him slightly keeping the Redneck Meathead thing but tweaked to where the spear could be country/cowboy/redneck related, call it the Bull Rush, or Stampede, or something like that.

i think the spear should kind of be left alone for now. it would feel awkward if anyone picked it up so quick after edge has left.

as far as the angle slam,it threw me off that orton used it but it doesn't bother me even though i am a HUGE angle fan.

i think the spear should kind of be left alone for now. it would feel awkward if anyone picked it up so quick after edge has left.

as far as the angle slam,it threw me off that orton used it but it doesn't bother me even though i am a HUGE angle fan.

It doesn't have to be immediate it more or less was who you think should get it. I know it shouldn't be touched right now due to the closeness of Edge's retirement however you can still make your opinion heard if you wanted.

Personally those saying Chrisitan should do it temporarily I totally agree, it be be an honor to Edge I think.

I agree with Hawkins. I've been saying repackage Hawkins as Edge's successor in a few threads now.

Also I would love to see Ezekiel Jackson use it. I hate the book of Ezekiel. Its fucking weak and Kozlov and Batistwo (Mason Ryan) use very similar finishers.

I agree Christian should use the spear but also he used it in the old WWF days when E&C came on the scene (see Test vs Edge unification match) where he speared Edge by "accident". Christian using thae spear is like Chavo using the Frog Splash it just makes sense

lets give the spear to R-Truth. he not only took Shelton Benjamins last horrible "ima pull down your face to the ground" finisher annnnnd beat JoMo. (which was a joke)..speaking of jokes, i think Santino should start Olympic slamming people and then setting up his cobra..just to piss on Kurt Angle and his "nobody should use my moves that i got off of somebody else" pissy rants.

I have no doubt that somebody will pick up the spear eventually and start using it. It's a good solid finishing move. I can't say I really liked the way that Big Show used it. Yeah, he had the mass, but not the necessary speed to make a dramatic enough impact.

Sheffield or Ryan are both good choices, but I have a feeling they're going to give the power bomb finisher to Ryan (they seem to have already done so.) Sheffield would be a good choice, but I actually like his take on the Clothesline From Hell. Who does that leave?

I'm going off the map here and saying give the spear to a returning and repackaged Husky Harris (now known, I guess, as Mike Mulligan.) His current persona is very sketchy and unpredictable and the spear is a nicely unpredictable move. Plus, his current finisher being a take on the Stone Cold Stunner...well, I don't know why but it just looks a little sloppy when he does it. I think the spear would work a little better for him.

Tyler Reks is an interesting choice, though. He's got the mass and the speed needed. He'd just need to find some sort of story to get back into the spotlight first. Otherwise, nobody will care about him using the spear.

Personally, I would give the move to Sheffield. Mason Ryan is actually just a tad *too* big of a guy to hit that kind of move and besides, WWE needs to try to avoid making Ryan the next Batista. Giving him the spear would make him a Batista clone. Ryan needs some sort of powerbomb as a finisher, IMO.

I think Christian will definitely use Edge's Spear for a little while to pay tribute to him.

I agree it should be given to one of the bigger guys on the roster, but i don't really know who to pick because they all would benefit by having it. When Edge hit it, the move isn't that believeable since he is more lanky than big. Having someone like Husky or Skip use it seems to make sense, but you never know.

The idea of Christian using the spear as a tribute to Edge is nice. Too bad a ladder match is the wrong event to do so (unless he spears him off the ladder).

Considering how the Extreme Rules match will be a ladder match... Well I think you know what I want Christian to do! :D

In the short run, I would expect Christian to use it on Alberto once or twice, but in the long run, I see someone like Ezekial Jackson or Mason "Batista" Ryan using it sorta like the Gorre that Rhino used to use.

However, with the new NFL season in some sort of jeopordy, im British, no idea whats going on. If they did bring in a few NFL stars, how cool would it be to see one of them use an NFL style tackle? :D

I never understood how someone could say a spear looks week... it's a guy driving you to the mat by bringing his shoulder towards your gut at full force... thus taking the wind out of you.

As for who I think should have it next, I say give it to Kelly Kelly. Yes, a diva. Why? Because she's already started to use it. I think it would be cool to see Kelly carry on Edge's legacy and even cooler to see Kelly Kelly go psychotic and turn heel... you know becoming Smackdown's to heel diva with Michelle McCool.

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but i was just reading the house show results, and Christian has used the Spear to beat Del Rio at a house show or show(s) over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back