• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New Intercontinental Champion... WILLIAM REGAL.

"Cool Guy" Jensen

Undertaker for Champ!
As many of you just witnessed, William Regal just defeated Santino Marella to become the new ''Intercontinental Champion'' for the second time in his career. I don't know about you, but I love Santino and was getting quite of a kick of his ''Honk-a-Meter''. Anyone who isn't a fan of Santino is a straight-up hater.

Why do you think WWE made Santino Marella lose the Intercontinental Championship after only 12 weeks? Why did WWE trust William Regal as a champ and not Jeff Hardy as both have had their 2 violation of the ''Wellness Program''? Do you think a Marella/Regal feud is brewing with Regal as the face?

I want to know what you guys think.

Well, this came as a bit of a shocker. I expected Santino to hold the Intercontinental strap at least until he was four weeks short of breaking the record or something.

Regal is a damn good wrestler and can work the mic well in his own way. He's a different guy to have on the roster and of course all the marks hate his guts in the wrong ways. He's one of the better mid-card title holders I can remember from the Attitude Era...he actually brought something to the European Championship. He can do a damn good job as mid-card champion...even though I would have greatly preferred Santino to keep the championship for a long time, let's see how this works out. ^

As for WWE and their trust in him; Regal's a long-time worker and seemingly a pretty loyal guy in addition to his obvious value to the company. Trusting someone with two strikes with a mid-card title isn't really such a risk when you think about it either. Regal can also do a good feud when put together with the right guy. I like the face-Regal vs. heel-Santino idea a lot. It'd be cool to see.

I know a lot of people dislike Santino Marella for what he did in OVW and I think Vince has finally woke up and realizes that Santino Marella is just like bobby lashley and just does not have the "It factor"

I'm outraged by what has transpired. I loved the Honk-a-Meter, and figured WWE would ride it out till at least a month to go, maybe even surpassing Honky and breaking history, something that doesn't happen a whole lot anymore. But then something wonderful appears to be happening, Santino seems to be becoming a face. He gets a great reaction from the crowd and at this point it could be very easy to turn it to face cheers, much like Austin was able to do after the Invasion angle. Everyone loves him or at least loves to hate him, so I could see him turning face very easily, especially now that Regal is champion and I'm sure Santino will get some sort of rematch. the reason probably for the title drop is if Santino becomes face while champion, the meaning of the Honk-a-Mater changes. The Honk-a-Meter was a great idea to get heat; the crowd would laugh as Santino commonly pointed out how many (and there were many) weeks he had till he passed the mark and remained assured that he would pass it. And as he'd get close, you could only imagine the crowd booing him, demanding that someone take him off his high horse, especially if he continued to do as he was, winning matches with minimal offense. Now if he became face, the crowd would be cheering him on instead, which would've been fine if that's what they intended it to be, but its not, it was to draw heat and as a tool to draw cheers it wouldn't work as well. Now at the moment I don't know how Santino will fit in the RAW roster as a face, but I could only imagine he will move on to bigger things as one now.

Now on to the subject of the thread, Regal. I'm surprised that WWE has so graciously rewarded Regal, especially after his last suspension. I never minded Regal as champion before and I do enjoy his matches, so I hope it goes well. However, looking at RAW's skinny as all hell middle card, I don't know who he'll feud with much aside from Santino and maybe a token Noble match. Still, i'm hoping that maybe this is a short time thing, like Batista's reign was, and that Regal only holds it till Santino turns full face, wins it back, and now continues his reign not as a cocky arrogant heel, but a cocky arrogant cool face. If Regal somehow gets beyond a rematch with the great Santino, IDK. Maybe he could feud with Kofi after he's done feuding with Priceless. Or Evan Bourne when he returns from injury, aside from those guys, I'm not sure who Regal will have left.

Regal has a bunch of people he could lose it to CM Punk who he train he could lose it to Y2J( 9th regin :shifty: ) he could lose it to HBK or to Cena and Batista There also Rey or Kane or even JBL

Wow, I'm both happy and shocked at the same time. I'm real happy that I can finally see some real matches for the ic title, I'm shocked because I thought the honk-a-meter will go to at least 45

I hope the WWE takes this as an opportunity to improve on the skills of the Santino character. Maybe, this can be the characters wake up call to show off more skills in the ring, instead of squash matches and fluke wins.

I have nothing against William Regal, and he brings lots of experience and credibility to the title, and should defend it well. I just hope this isn't a 'we gave it to him in his country' thing, like Nunzio and the Cruiserweight title in Italy. That would suck, as they would have broken up the Honk-A-Meter storyline for nothing.

I'm interested, but hoping this isn't going to go south fast.

What happened tonight was a complete idiotic move by creative. So what if it was Regal's hometown? Who gives a shit?! Santino, being the awesome heel that he is should have at LEAST given the Honky Tonk Man's legacy a run for it's money. Having it stopped so short by Regal, who I think should be released by WWE just like Kenny Dykstra because he's just a filler jobber... must have been Freddy Prinze's idea.

Santino alone could have at least went a week before his triumphant day of beating the HTM's record, or even a month if creative (or whoever) was smart enough. Regal, like Pfc. Snow was mentioning, should not have been rewarded the title belt. And if this is the case, Jeff Hardy should be rewarded for his misdeeds and be given the WWE championship.

Real major fuck-up, Creative. Go do something intelligent and pull your heads out of your asses now.

Booo!!!!!!!!!!! But like I said Santino is on to bigger and better things!

Anyways being a huge Santino fan aside Regal will probably make a decent champ. He can get heat pretty well and can also wrestle top notch. Regal was on a role before his suspension so if he can get the same amount of heat he will make a pretty good champion. I think he will probably feud with Kofi & Punk but since Regal is solid in the ring and on the mic both feuds would be really good. Regal as champion might be a good thing if he doesn;t scew up and if creative will push him. It might also give guys like Noble a chance,

I liked the Honk-o-Meter but I'm a bigger fan of Regal's so I'm happy either way. I figured it would've went on longer but oh well. The bigger issue to me was Michael Cole saying that Layla was from Northern England! Layla El? Northern England? Yea ok sure :0/

I was pretty shocked when Regal got the win but I don't think Regal devalues the title as long as he defends it to worthy opponents. Unfortunately the IC title is not defended at every pay per view, and it should be. There hasn't been any decent fueds for the IC title in a long time. The IC champion is sometimes in the Elimination Chamber and always in the Money in the Bank match and for the title to mean anything it needs to be defended. Santino was carrying the belt but we weren't seeing him use his wrestling skills at all. The belt was big before it was changed. If you don't remember the holder of the title used to be called "The Intercontinental Heavyweight Champion" Now to you newbees that probably means nothing but to some of us old schoolers, it does. The IC title Mr. Perfect, Brett Hart, Honky Tonk Man and Shawn Michaels held is not the same title RVD, Austin, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, and Edge held, and that title is not the same title that Kofi, Santino, and Regal held. The title has diminished in value. The IC title belongs around the waist of a mid carder with World Title promise or potential. Many of the former IC champs (not all) went on to win World Title gold in the WWF/E WCW or other promotions. The belt hasn't been the stepping stone it used to be. I believe that Dibiase, Rhodes, are two individuals who can bring hope to the IC belt.

All I can say is that I couldn't be happier. I love William Regal and have since all the way back to the Blue Bloods days. I like that he is still around and that he is still relevant, first KOTR, now I.C. title, and a bit of arm candy. Very Nice. Sure Santino is entertaining, but he can be entertaining without a belt. It's not like he was some great credit to it. Who knows what they will do with Regal holding it, I just can't wait to see.

Although a fan of the Honk-A-Meter I knew Santino was going to lose tat some point in the near future the minute he changed it to The Perfect Mountie or something along those lines - there wasn't much chance of him being allowed to hold the title for another 2 yrs and 4 months.

In my opinion I see Regal as a great technical wrestler and he can definitely pull off a good feud with many of the guys backstage! Although hearing Santino's promos were absolutely brilliant I can't wait to see what they do with Regal (what can I say - I'm forever an optimist :D) as there is some serious potential there to either keep him heel (which could work with the whole Layla thing imo) or turn him face which would make me rather slightly happy as, as much as he can draw some decent heat, it would be different from what we've been seeing in the recent past and I'd be more than happy to keep watching.

And I may be seeing things but am looking at creative trying to show a slight rift in Glamarella to try to get people talking/debating :(

The bigger issue to me was Michael Cole saying that Layla was from Northern England! Layla El? Northern England? Yea ok sure :0/

Really, he said that :O I just heard him before the match started saying that she was from Notting Hill and Regal was from up North, Blackpool, yadda yadda (yeah, I was really listening well at silly'o'clock am!!)

I'm happy about this, actually.

It was a good move. Hopefully we'll start to see some real feuds built around the IC title and have some of it's prestige restored. Who knows, maybe Vince wants to rebuild his mid-card. I'm interested to see where this might be going. There aren't very many people that Regal could feud with. =/ I'm sure that our beloved creative team can figure something out though.

I guess Vince refused to take the risk of carrying on the Honk-a-meter storyline. It makes perfect business sense. Regal winning in his hometown = Fans from England get what they want, like WWE more, will buy WWE PPVs and products more to follow the reign of their hometown hero.

And nowadays, the majority of WWE's audience is dominated by casual fans who are fickle-minded. At first when Santino started his Honk-a-meter thing, it was fresh at that time, and was surprisingly funny. But do u think they'll still laugh at his Honk-a-meter jokes 40+ weeks from now? No, I don't think they would.

Thus, Vince acknowledged this outcome, and cut short Santino's title reign. Although the storyline is left hanging as a blatant creative loophole, it was for the best decision for the business.

All those Santino smarks who are whining about his loss, get over it. U guys think u know better than Vince, but it has been proven time and time again, his decisions are for the greater good. It may not be obvious now, but it will be in a few weeks or months time.

This is a great time to reinvent his gimmick and character, because a wrestler who gets squashed and can only receive fluke roll-up wins will get irritating if the same routine happens every week. Vince will do something to Santino and make him much more credible. Just give him and WWE a chance.

Well I think Vince pulled the plug on Santino's title reign for two reasons:

1. It was in England and Vince couldn't deny the chance to give the home town hero the title
2. To keep the title changes happening to 'refresh the product'

I think Regal as champion is a good choice. We all know he has the techniqual ability to perform in the ring. If he can get his act togther and get some of the heat back he had when he was GM, then his title reign could be great.

Santino was doing great himself with his title reign and the whole Honk-a-Meter. But change is sometimes good. I think it was too early to take the title of Santino as he was doing his job properly, but Regal was probably in a good spot at the right time with it being in England.

I suspect Regal will have a series of matches with Santino which could be good and then move onto Noble to finish the fued and have them fight for something and give the title some good title matches.

Santino's reign was booked to make him win by apparent luck each week. Putting Santino's "coveted" championship in the hands of someone else will be able to show the real wrestler in Santino, while not abruptly taking away his gimmick.

Why Regal? Easy, they were in England. They pulled the same thing with KOTR. It's almost predictable that whenever Raw's over there they'll put Regal in a somewhat high profile match that he will be victorious in.

I hope for a good feud between these two. Having Santino lose a few will give time and reason for him to improve and eventually becoming a creditable champion.

Why Regal? Easy, they were in England. They pulled the same thing with KOTR. It's almost predictable that whenever Raw's over there they'll put Regal in a somewhat high profile match that he will be victorious in.

Except that the King Of The Ring didn't happen in England, and he never usually wins over here.

Pointless title change. Regal wasn't even over with his countrymen. He'll do the exact same thing with this title reign as he did with his last one, nothing. I like him, he's a very good wrestler. But that doesn't mean a thing. Most WWE fans only cared about Regal 7 years ago when he was a comedy GM. I don't think he's ever got much of a reaction as a wrestler in WWE.

It would have been better if WWE had built Regal up better since he came back from his suspension.

im loving this, not just as a brit, but as a wrestling fan

Regal is a natural wrestler and mat technician. He can sell a match and is awesome on the mike, but would be good to get a decent finisher.

I know personally im getting very bored of marella and his current gimmick.

Good move WWE!

**edit**

I think they may well run with regal for along title run, and he has what it takes to do that

But on a side note, when Honky Tonk lost his title match against the Ultimate warrior it was a squash match, and so was the match with regal and santino, wondering if this is a concidence?

Pointless title change. Regal wasn't even over with his countrymen. He'll do the exact same thing with this title reign as he did with his last one, nothing. I like him, he's a very good wrestler. But that doesn't mean a thing. Most WWE fans only cared about Regal 7 years ago when he was a comedy GM. I don't think he's ever got much of a reaction as a wrestler in WWE.

I dunno Jake, he was DEF over during the RAW of the WM Revenge tour. The whole O2 went nuts everytime his face came up on the Tron. But to further cement your point that he loses in the UK, he did get beat that night by Orton as well.

It would have been better if WWE had built Regal up better since he came back from his suspension.

Definitely. Since coming back from suspension they've done nothing with him aside from this stupid Noble fued, which i don't think anybody cares about, because there's no mic time with Regal or Layla at all. Noble walks around pouting and then there's a random match with Mickie James invovled for some reason and that's it!

He's had a few sporadic appearances alongside Jericho, but then so has Orton and it's not like they're actually part of the Jericho angle.

He's KOTR for god's sake. He should be being used in some format at least. I'm not syaing push him tot he moon like they probably would have, but have him in a half decent fued at least.

Otherwise, i'm disappointed that Santino didn't break Honkey's record. He'll never be able to claim that he is the greatest Intercontinental champion of all of the times!!!! Plus it's looking more and more like Glamerella are going to split which sucks even more.

What happened tonight was a complete idiotic move by creative. So what if it was Regal's hometown?

It wasn't, Regal's from Blackpool, Raw was in Manchester.

Who gives a shit?!
I do.

Santino, being the awesome heel that he is should have at LEAST given the Honky Tonk Man's legacy a run for it's money. Having it stopped so short by Regal, who I think should be released by WWE just like Kenny Dykstra because he's just a filler jobber... must have been Freddy Prinze's idea.

Why should Santino be given a 64 week run of the IC belt? He doesn't deserve it. and I know all the SFAC will jump on me for it, but Santino Marella does not deserve to beat the Honky Tonk mans legacy, it would be the equivalent of having Charlie Haas challenge takers streak.

Santino alone could have at least went a week before his triumphant day of beating the HTM's record, or even a month if creative (or whoever) was smart enough.

Why and how? His matches as champ last about 1 minute, even losing it in a squash, he couldn't have carried that on for another year at all, we would have got bored of it, I know I did about 3 weeks after SummerSlam.

Regal, like Pfc. Snow was mentioning, should not have been rewarded the title belt. And if this is the case, Jeff Hardy should be rewarded for his misdeeds and be given the WWE championship.

And as also mentioned there's a huge difference between the WWE championship and the Intercontinental belt

Real major fuck-up, Creative. Go do something intelligent and pull your heads out of your asses now.

Why should a man who has superior ring skills, superior mic skills and teh king of the ring 2008 winner win the midcard belt...yeah that's a major fuck up.

Take off your rose tinted marella glasses and realise that we could not of had him as IC champ for much longer.

I think that it would benefit the whole title picture if Regal played a face. Now don't get me wrong I think he is a very good heel but there just aren't enough faced on the Raw roster to have any sort of decent feuds. As a heel he could only really feud with Rey, Kofi, Punk, D-lo and Noble. Kofi and Punk right now aren't possible with them having the tag titles, Rey is still consider a main eventer even though i think hes a mid carder, and D-lo and Noble are both jobbers. If he was a face he could feud with any member of priceless as they each try to prove themselves, a Ted v. Regal feud could be good, also you have Kane, JBL, Mike Knox, Miz, Morrison, Henry, and even a British feud with Burchill even though I think WWE maybe done with him. The title change was a good thing but the belt should be on a face cause it opens it up to more possibilities and Regal being the real-man man's that he is, lol gotta love that gimmick, could effectively play a face and a somber working hard face, it would be a solid choice

Although I'm glad that they will be able to book the IC title as being, you know, actually defended - - - that is, if they DO in fact do that, and they aren't just giving Regal the title for the hell of it (or to just please the fans that sat through that HORRIBLE episode on Monday) - - - I'm still wondering why Regal was the one to squash Marella.

If you rule out Ziggler, Snitsky (soon to be released now that Knox has moved to Raw apparently and they're looking for cuts), Deuce, Cryme Tyme (they'd never work in singles competition), and Santino himself...that leaves us with D-Lo (yeah right), Burchill (not so bad), Priceless (Manu is weighing them down but DiBiase and Rhodes are solid - despite how they're heels who couldn't feud with a heel Regal), Haas (booked as a comedic act, not a serious IC contender)...we've got Noble, who doesn't win often...Kofi, solid....and to an extent, Mysterio.

Personally, I don't see why they chose Regal when they could've given the push to someone that could've used it more. Wouldn't it have made more sense to follow this whole "greatest IC champions of all times" angle with having Charlie Haas come out (maybe as Santino even) to beat Santino, win the title, and see what he can do? He would've been able to benefit much more from an IC reign than Regal, who will most likely just squash Deuce, Noble, and D-Lo for a month or two until they decide to have him drop the title to someone else at random.

Its not bad yet...can't criticize it before it starts...but I hope they know what they're doing and not just throwing it on Regal for something to do (kind of like throwing the title on Batista for no reason).

I liked it, if for nothing more than a shock. cant say I particulalry understand why it needed to happen, or what they will do with it. If it leads to a serious push for the Regal, and thus, the title, then all well and good, but I have very serious doubts about that, if just for the way the IC title has been treated for some time now. At least during Santino's reighn it had a storyline based around it, and it was on TV. Cant say I see the same thing happening here, as Regal has had toruble making it on tv regularly himself. Pretty pointless title change, that seemingly does little to nothing for anyone.

For some reason when the match was announced last week, I saw the title change coming. The WWE were actually hyping an Intercontinental Title match and since the match was taking place in England, I just had a feeling William Regal would be the new champ. Let's face it, Santino was never going to hold the title for 64 weeks in the first place. It was all for comedy purposes, and it was great while it lasted. Hell, when he was on the mic the English crowd were actually cheering him which was nice to see. He really is a great asset to the WWE in terms on comedy purposes, but the WWE just hasn't had faith in his wrestling ability which is quite sad.

As for William Regal, I think he deserves to be the champion at the moment. I think he is a mid-carder for life. He just isn't the right type of superstar to push to the main event level. The squash match itself was unnecessary. It totally killed the little credibility that Santino had. I agree with posters saying that at least when Santino was champion, he was getting air time and had a storyline that seemed to get everyone involved. I just can't see Regal being on TV as much as what Santino was. The issue that worries me the most is that when Beth loses her title, where does Santino go from there? If the WWE release him, I and many others will be very sad. He's a great asset to the company, and needs to stay.

I don't believe the WWE trusts Regal as much as before as he is nowhere near the main event. The Intercontinental Title is seen as a mid-card title and nothing more. So Regal fits that role nicely. Not to mention, he could put over Kofi Kingston quite well. I'm still not too sure that Santino's entertaining title reign should have ended right now though. I see people saying that he lost it after only "13 weeks". That's over 3 whole match which is a fairly lengthy IC title reign. So, the WWE didn't shock me personally, but I am interesting to see how this unfolds for William Regal though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back