New concepts for matches.

During the 90's we got the creation of the Ladder match, the Ironman match and the Hell in a cell match, three iconic matches in the company's history. Then in the early 2000's we got the creation of the TLC and Elimination Chamber match. 3 years later, the Money In The Bank Ladder match concept was created, my personal favourite out of all the matches that the company created.

These matches however have been overused in the past ten years (execpt the Ironman match) due to the constant usage of themed PPVs like HIAC and TLC. I believe that matches that once were special are not special anymore, like the Hell in a cell match. So isn't it time for another match to be created?

I've given this subject much thought and although they're not perfect, I came up with some new ideas.

The Triathlon/Pentathlon match
The Triathlon
The Triathlon is contested under the Ironman match rules. It is a 30 minute match. It is actually an Ironman match, but with different stipulations. The match stipulation changes every 10 minutes. In the end the man with the most points wins.
The standard three matches for the Triathlon are: I) Normal match, II) Falls count anywhere match III) Steel cage match

The Pentahlon
The Pentathlon is the same as the triathlon with the difference being that it is 50 minutes standard and consists of a standard 5 stipulations: I) Pinfalls only match, II) Submissions only match, III) Pinfalls Count Anywhere match, IV) Submissions Count Anywhere match, V) Steel Cage match.

*SPECIAL NOTE*: After the IV match (or the II match in the Triathlon), the wrestlers must climb the cage to get in the ring. The wrestler who climbs in first, gets a point. After the first wrestler is in the cage, the time freezes so that the other wrestler can get in. The time freeze happens because if the wrestler who is outside is leading the match does not get in, he can wait for the time to pass and win. That must not happen.
Once both of them are inside they can only get points via pinfall or submission. If a wrestler leaves the cage (or drops out of it), the wrestler inside the cage automatically gets the victory. Imagine a sports match. If a team leaves the match during the match, the other team gets the victory.

The Steel Canvas mat

Take one side of the Steel Cage match and lie it down on the canvas, so that the mat can become "steel". I know it is a dangerous enviroment. But still, it's a new concept.

What do you think about these ideas?

Do you have any other ideas?

I'd like to see more gimmick matches with less structure. Don't get me wrong, I love a good cage match, but I'll take a 2/3 falls match over a cage any day of the week. I like your triathlon idea, but in my own vein, I'd propose ten minutes of points by over the top rope, ten minutes of submissions and ten minutes of straight pinfalls.

I also thought a championship match with two special guest referees would be fun, if the ref that calls the decision is declared the number one contender. Would lead to in fighting between referees and uneasy alliances.

Going into SummerSlam this year, I didn't think the Owens/Cena program was done with, and that stirred my imagination when Cena called out Rollins. I envisioned a triple threat match, Owens/Cena/Rollins, both US and WWE titles on the line. Rather than the victor leaving with both belts, whoever was pinned loses their championship. Rollins could work with Owens to offer Cena and the US Title on a platter, but does Owens take it, or does he double down and go for Rollins and the WWE title? If it seemed futile for Cena or Rollins to pin one another, they could give up and pin Owens, simply to protect their own prize rather than gamble it away. Lots of room for interesting psychology.

This is actually an old concept but one that was pretty great. Wrestewar cage match. Two rings pushed together , at the end of the PPV, steel cages come down with tops on...two teams compete . It starts one on one and every five minutes a member from one team comes in until all are involved in the match. I've seen two or three of these and they were good to great matches. It ends with either a pin fall or submission. You could mess with the match ending rules that eliminates anyone who gets pinned or submitted. It would create a more dramatic ending.

For starters, it was not a WrestleWar match, it was War Games.

A Double Elimination Match
Three wrestlers. Draw to see which 2 start with the third on the outside. They work, and whoever loses has to stay in and work the fresh man on the outside. The match continues until 2 wrestlers have two falls.

For starters, it was not a WrestleWar match, it was War Games.

A Double Elimination Match
Three wrestlers. Draw to see which 2 start with the third on the outside. They work, and whoever loses has to stay in and work the fresh man on the outside. The match continues until 2 wrestlers have two falls.

Ah shit yes. War Games. I stand corrected.

A Falls Count Anywhere Battle Royal where 10 or so guys fight it out anywhere and everywhere. The match should typically be longer than the regular over the top battle royal since these guys are kicking each other's ass elimination style, using Tables, Chairs, and whatnot.

Also, a way to make the ridiculous "Stairs" match stip from last year interesting would be if you're required to submit or KO your opponent on the steel steps to win. Whether you're in the ring, at ringside, on the ramp, backstage, you need to bring the steel steps with you and make sure your opponent lands on it so you can win.

Another idea that might be ridiculous or really fun is a "blind tag team" match. Say you put 8 guys in the ring, and there's 4 teams, but no one knows who's teaming with who except the competitors in the ring. To visualize this, let's say New Day is defending the titles against: The Miz, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Kane, Christian and Neville.

New Day is fairly sure that Christian and Neville are teaming so as soon as they pin Neville, they wave bye to Christian, but they turn around and Kane double chokeslams them, then walks away with Neville, as Christian pins one of them for the elimination.

Then it's down to Miz, Bo, Dolph and Christian. The crowd assumes Miz and Bo are together, while Dolph and Christian are. Miz and Bo throw Dolph and Christian out of the ring, and then stare each other down. They then start fighting it out! Bo goes for the pin, and all of a sudden, Christian pulls the ref out. Bo starts arguing with Christian, and Miz rolls him up for the 1-2-3.

ChrisMiz are your new tag champs, and just in time for the holidays!

New match ideas have to be simple enough to explain to someone within 15-20 seconds without too much bookkeeping involved.

My idea #1: I would like the idea of a double-elimination tag team match.

You basically have to pin/submit BOTH members of the same team (not at the same time) in order to win.

It kind of have survivor series elements while still allowing all the participants to finish the match together. It could provide for some compelling storytelling in the ring.

My idea #2: 1 on 1 lumberjack match where if you land outside (just like in battle royal matches) then you lose. Pinfall/submission/over the top rope.

It would provide enough drama and false endings to allow for interesting stories to be told within the framework of a match.

New match ideas have to be simple enough to explain to someone within 15-20 seconds without too much bookkeeping involved.

My idea #1: I would like the idea of a double-elimination tag team match.

You basically have to pin/submit BOTH members of the same team (not at the same time) in order to win.

It kind of have survivor series elements while still allowing all the participants to finish the match together. It could provide for some compelling storytelling in the ring.

You can do 4-man elimination tags in the 2K games, but WWE usually saves that for 6, 8 and 10-man tag team matches. It's not an original idea per se, but the only times I can recall WWE doing it in a 2-on-2 setting is in Steel Cage tag matches.

My idea #2: 1 on 1 lumberjack match where if you land outside (just like in battle royal matches) then you lose. Pinfall/submission/over the top rope.

I'm assuming you want the lumberjacks to be your buddies instead of enemies right? Typically, lumberjacks are there to beat you up and throw you back in the ring, but you want the lumberjacks to support you and crowd surf you back into the ring, right? If so, I think it's an interesting idea. The only issue is that I can't imagine someone losing unless all the lumberjacks are distracted in some way, most likely brawling with each other.

During the 90's we got the creation of the Ladder match, the Ironman match and the Hell in a cell match, three iconic matches in the company's history. Then in the early 2000's we got the creation of the TLC and Elimination Chamber match. 3 years later, the Money In The Bank Ladder match concept was created, my personal favourite out of all the matches that the company created.

These matches however have been overused in the past ten years (execpt the Ironman match) due to the constant usage of themed PPVs like HIAC and TLC. I believe that matches that once were special are not special anymore, like the Hell in a cell match. So isn't it time for another match to be created?

I've given this subject much thought and although they're not perfect, I came up with some new ideas.

The Triathlon/Pentathlon match
The Triathlon
The Triathlon is contested under the Ironman match rules. It is a 30 minute match. It is actually an Ironman match, but with different stipulations. The match stipulation changes every 10 minutes. In the end the man with the most points wins.
The standard three matches for the Triathlon are: I) Normal match, II) Falls count anywhere match III) Steel cage match

The Pentahlon
The Pentathlon is the same as the triathlon with the difference being that it is 50 minutes standard and consists of a standard 5 stipulations: I) Pinfalls only match, II) Submissions only match, III) Pinfalls Count Anywhere match, IV) Submissions Count Anywhere match, V) Steel Cage match.

*SPECIAL NOTE*: After the IV match (or the II match in the Triathlon), the wrestlers must climb the cage to get in the ring. The wrestler who climbs in first, gets a point. After the first wrestler is in the cage, the time freezes so that the other wrestler can get in. The time freeze happens because if the wrestler who is outside is leading the match does not get in, he can wait for the time to pass and win. That must not happen.
Once both of them are inside they can only get points via pinfall or submission. If a wrestler leaves the cage (or drops out of it), the wrestler inside the cage automatically gets the victory. Imagine a sports match. If a team leaves the match during the match, the other team gets the victory.

The Steel Canvas mat

Take one side of the Steel Cage match and lie it down on the canvas, so that the mat can become "steel". I know it is a dangerous enviroment. But still, it's a new concept.

What do you think about these ideas?

Do you have any other ideas?

One issue I see with your Triathlon/Pentathlon matches are that, no matter where the wrestlers go, they will always have to come back to the ring for the last ten minutes. Yeh they can work it into the match, but everyone will know, they need to get themselves to the ring before the cage comes down. I know it sounds trivial, but you expect a match to be slightly unpredictable, but you add an element that has to be guaranteed to finish the type of match.

My suggestion would be similar to what TNA used to do. I can't remember the name, but they had the four briefcases in the ring. 3 title shots and the fired briefcase. MITB takes care of the WWE title, so you could have IC, US and Tag Champ matches available. Something for the midcard to do

The Sovereign Scramble

2 superstars start off and every 1 minute a new one comes down to the ring (drawn at random) until all 20 participants have arrived. To eliminate a superstar you have to push him under the bottom rope. The last superstar standing is the winner and gets a WWE Title shot at Battleground PPV.

Similar to the Royal Rumble format:

The Brawl to End it All

- 40 wrestlers
- No DQ
- Elimination style: eliminations occur through pinfall or submission only
- max 5 people allowed in the ring at one time
- Once an elimination occurs, a new wrestler replaces the eliminated participant immediately
- This goes on until the final 2 where the match than becomes a stipulation match (cage, ladder, etc.)
- Winner goes on to fight for the title somewhere down the line

Wow, I completely overbooked the shit out of that match... give me a break it was off the top of my head.

My suggestion would be similar to what TNA used to do. I can't remember the name, but they had the four briefcases in the ring. 3 title shots and the fired briefcase. MITB takes care of the WWE title, so you could have IC, US and Tag Champ matches available. Something for the midcard to do

Feast or Fired is a great idea, but unless WWE buys TNA, I doubt they'll ever implement it for fear that they will come off as copycats.

The best we'll ever get is 3 different MitB matches which would be overkill IMO, but WWE isn't shy and would probably do it. One for the WWE, one for the tag, and another for both the IC/US with the holder putting them both on notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back