Let's Talk About Gimmick Matches - Steel Cage (blue)

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
2260250335_dfb2a0ca89.jpg

So, I was sitting at my desk at work, letting my mind roam and trying to think of a new thread idea that would grab everyone's attention and gain some reader participation. I wanted to discuss a topic that even the newest and most unknowledgable wrestling fan could appreciate and provide their input about the topic.

Then I began thinking about the upcoming PPV, Hell in a Cell. The HIAC match has been one of the most anticipated gimmick matches for wrestling fans of all ages ever since the Attitude Era when it was created. It makes me think about its roots and how the idea of the match was formulated. After further thought, I began to remember all of the gimmick matches of the past that sort of "paved the way" for the Hell in a Cell. And then, EUREKA... my idea was born.

I figured I'd start my first thread with the match that made Wrestlemania II famous (and probably the only match that anyone remembers from the event) which was the classic steel cage match. But, I would like to zone in on the WWF's version of the cage from the early 80's. When this cage was used, there were only two ways to defeat your opponent... either by making your way out of the locked cage door or climbing over the top to the outside. Due to the cage's large, square mesh, it was much easier for large wrestlers like Hulk Hogan to climb out of the structure. However, this particular cage was a large, blue-colored metal structure that wrestlers of the past refer to as the most difficult environment to have a match in, due to it's lack of durability. Most (blue) steel cage matches that occurred involved blading, injury, and didn't capture the crowd's imagination as much as the classic, fence-like metal used in modern steel cages that are used today.

I'd like to ask all of you, which (blue) steel cage matches from the past do you remember? Please share your thoughts.

(If this thread proves to be successful, I'll post more gimmick-match threads in the future.)

EDIT: I was just reminded that the larger meshed cages were also featured in black color as well (i.e. Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon at Valentine's Day Massacre). I'm thinking this type of cage is used when pinfalls and submissions are not offered as additional methods of victory.

Definitely the Owen Hart vs Bret Hart cage match. This was a great match, and one of my favorites using the old blue cage match. Although, I wouldn't commonly associate it with just the 80's, as it was being used even in the later 90's, with St. Valentines Day Massacre being a good example of utilising this kind of cage, as did HHH vs Mankind, another memorable one.

The problem I have with this match is that it just doesn't have the same effect. The cage looks cartoony, even with black bars, and when someone face hits the cage, you don't really feel as if it has impacted. With the chain mesh, it's easier for wrestlers to be slammed against, and can result in some great spots (Lashley's dive onto Umaga) I personally prefer the chain mesh, and matches like Tully Blanchard vs Magnum T.A hold a dearer place in my heart than any King Kong bundy match.

I actually think the bars are better than mesh. It does look like a product of it's era. But I think somebody being thrown into a mesh cage and bounching back is far more cartoonish that the blue bars. If you throw somebody into the bar it makes a more impactful noise and there's no give.

With the Hell In A Cell I think the whole mesh cage concept is obsolete in WWE.

My favorite match, from memory alone as I haven't seen it since, was Money Inc vs. The Steiners.

This is a terrific old school thread, D-Man. And the picture you chose is just fantastic.

I have two for you.

Hulk Hogan vs King King Bundy, Wrestlemania 2.

This was the first time the WWF Title was defended at Wrestlemania, and Hogan came to the ring with his ribs taped up due to an attack at the hands of Bundy, Heenan, and Don Muraco. The blue bars were ominous, and gave fans the feeling that Hogan was locked up with a monster who was out to destroy him. This match was one of many that was booked so well, that it added to the legacy of Hulk Hogan. Michelin Man Bundy was such shit, but Hogan made this story what it was, and his work in that original cage was just terrific.

Ultimate Warrior vs Rick Rude.

Rude was the only man who'd had any success against Warrior to this point, winning the Intercontinental Title from him (with Heenan's help) a while prior. Now the WWF Champion, Warrior was out for revenge while Hogan was busy handling Earthquake. The match was in a cage, and just served to remind the world that, in a clean match, few could defeat The Ultimate Warrior in his prime.

This is a terrific old school thread, D-Man. And the picture you chose is just fantastic.

I have two for you.

Hulk Hogan vs King King Bundy, Wrestlemania 2.

This was the first time the WWF Title was defended at Wrestlemania, and Hogan came to the ring with his ribs taped up due to an attack at the hands of Bundy, Heenan, and Don Muraco. The blue bars were ominous, and gave fans the feeling that Hogan was locked up with a monster who was out to destroy him. This match was one of many that was booked so well, that it added to the legacy of Hulk Hogan. Michelin Man Bundy was such shit, but Hogan made this story what it was, and his work in that original cage was just terrific.

Ultimate Warrior vs Rick Rude.

Rude was the only man who'd had any success against Warrior to this point, winning the Intercontinental Title from him (with Heenan's help) a while prior. Now the WWF Champion, Warrior was out for revenge while Hogan was busy handling Earthquake. The match was in a cage, and just served to remind the world that, in a clean match, few could defeat The Ultimate Warrior in his prime.

It cracks me up how these were the EXACT two matches that I was thinking about when I wrote this thread. Wrestlemania II is chosen almost by default (especially with the picture I posted above), but many forget about the Warrior vs. Rude match in the cage. It was very exciting to watch not because people were wondering if the Warrior would win or not (even children could easily figure that one out) but because everyone just wanted to see Rude get the ever-loving shit beaten out of him in a cage. But, once again, Rude made the Warrior look like a God in the ring and we were all left extremely satisfied with the outcome.

But, a match that many seem to forget involving a blue cage was between Hulk Hogan and Paul Orndorff on Saturday Night's Main Event back in January of 1987. Of course, this was the match where Bundy interfered and smashed up Hogan's ribs prior to Wrestlemania II, but I remember it being an exciting contest up until Bundy interfered.

I have tons of favorite Cage Matches, but the one that I remember the most is actually the first Main Event I ever saw, April 25, 1989, Hulk Hogan vs. Big Boss Man at Saturday Night’s Main Event for the WWF Title. All I remember was thinking how the Big Boss Man could actually win this match, and then the Real Triple H Hulked up. Oh well!! Maybe next time.

I remember the cage match between Andre the Giant and HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN at WrestleFest '88. The feud between these two had gone on for over a year, through two WrestleManias, was the backbone of starting a new PPV (survivor series), and set a new indoor attendance record (93,173 - WrestleMania III). The feud even brought pro wrestling back to prime time network TV for the first time in 32 years and set an all time ratings record for pro wrestling at 15.2 with a live event. (The Main Event- February 5, 1988).

There was no way to end this other than a steel cage match. There was a lot more blood in this that we typically saw in the blue cage. It was a little scary watching Andre climb the cage though.

But, a match that many seem to forget involving a blue cage was between Hulk Hogan and Paul Orndorff on Saturday Night's Main Event back in January of 1987. Of course, this was the match where Bundy interfered and smashed up Hogan's ribs prior to Wrestlemania II, but I remember it being an exciting contest up until Bundy interfered.
No. The match where Bundy interfered was almost a year earlier (WrestleMania II was in 1986 mind you). This match was a classic and the first time the Blue cage was shown on national television. The feud between HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN and Paul "Mr. Wonderful" Ordnorff was so heated that a cage match on was the only way to settle it.

I miss the days when cage matches meant something. Gimmick matches are so over used now that they no longer serve to elevate a feud but rather are a desperate attampt to make a match less boring than the last.

I actually think the bars are better than mesh. It does look like a product of it's era. But I think somebody being thrown into a mesh cage and bounching back is far more cartoonish that the blue bars. If you throw somebody into the bar it makes a more impactful noise and there's no give.

With the Hell In A Cell I think the whole mesh cage concept is obsolete in WWE.

My favorite match, from memory alone as I haven't seen it since, was Money Inc vs. The Steiners.

Preach it, brother. Preach it.

The other day I posted a thread about this exact same subject. And yes Money Inc.-Steiners is a classic. Probably the greatest tag team cage match, along with Hardys-E&C (mesh though).

Does it have to be blue?

Owen-Bret - greatest cage match of all-time, no contest.

Warrior-Rude

Diesel-Bret

I have a lot of memories of the WWE Bar Cage.

I always preferred the Chicken-Wire cage, but my favorite Bar Cage matches would be

Ted Dibiase vs Randy Savage
Randy Savage vs Hulk Hogan
Hulk Hogan vs Big Boss Man
Bret Hart vs Owen Hart
Rick Rude vs Roddy Piper
Paul Orndorff vs Hulk Hogan
King Kong Bundy vs Hulk Hogan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads