Steel Cage Preference?

OWEN-ing It All

Pre-Show Stalwart
I was wondering if anyone misses the solid steel cage? I most certainly do and wish WWE would stop using the mesh fencing. I also wish they would not have referee inside anymore.

For One, at a live event it's harder to see what's going on, IMO.

Two, it's more secure, and stronger, easier to climb. Which allows for more creative moves and scenarios.

When I watch cage matches now it doesn't have the same excitement.

Owen-Bret, Mankind-Triple H, Bundy-Hogan, Bret Hart-Diesel, Austin-McMahon, Rick Rude-Warrior, Money Inc-The Steiner Bros. (Great Match btw), etc etc.

Now it seems pointless to even have a cage match because of HIAC being almost the exact same thing, they should revive the steel cage to make a bigger contrast from the hell in a cell.

I think the last great cage match was Hardy's Vs. E&C

I can't recall the last STEEL cage appearance, was it the god awful Kennel From Hell Match?

So what's everybody's take on this?

I prefer the mesh cage, but I can see where you're coming from.

A little bit off-topic, but am I the only one that hates the escape rule in cage matches? Cage matches are supposed to be about settling grudges and beating the hell out of your opponent, not running away. Not to mention, isn't the whole point of the cage in the first place that the heel can't run away?

And, if there HAS to be an escape rule, can we at least do away with the open door? At basically any point in the match, one wrestler could run to the door and get out. Instead, Wrestler A will non-chalantly walk toward the door, only for Wrestler B to make the save at the last second by running at him and grabbing the leg. It's really, really akward.

I liked the escape rules. It meant, not that you ran away, but that you had to beat your opponent so badly that there was no way he could stop you. The cage is supposed to be about settling grudges not winning matches. That's why they were always saved for feuds that just kept getting hotter and hotter.

Also this rule was nessesary because there was no referee involved and there were no rules. That's what I liked. Seeing a ref enforcing rules in what is supposed to be the most dangerous type of match makes me sick.

I liked the escape rules. It meant, not that you ran away, but that you had to beat your opponent so badly that there was no way he could stop you. The cage is supposed to be about settling grudges not winning matches. That's why they were always saved for feuds that just kept getting hotter and hotter.

Also this rule was nessesary because there was no referee involved and there were no rules. That's what I liked. Seeing a ref enforcing rules in what is supposed to be the most dangerous type of match makes me sick.

Same here. I felt it was more suspenseful and it made for better matches. Wear down your opponent, punish him bad enough, then escape. Plus it created a race to escape.

Now they just have guys run-in hit a finisher and then they score a pinfall, making the match seem obsolete and worthless/pointless altogether.

The Steel Cage Match is my favorite type of gimmick match.

I prefer the Wire-Mesh cage.

The WWF Bar Cage takes me back to my childhood, but I was following the NWA/WCW, and I always thought that the Bar Cage looked silly.

I also prefer to see Cage Matches won by pinfall or submission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back