NBA Offseason

I refuse to believe it purely because how ridiculous the NBA or golden state would become. He would become the most hated player again and no way could he ever be considered the GOAT.

Very cerebral move by LeBron. It could light a fire under Cleveland and all the other organizations to further bow down to him while creating strife in the Warriors organization.

Or he could be serious, which I doubt. He can't expect the Warriors to trade/releasel away a Draymon or a Klay or for others to take such significantly less money.

Yeah it’s extremely unlikely given the circumstances required. Others have mentioned Houston, which would be equally as bad in my mind. But I haven’t heard anything on the possible financials. I think it’s more likely he does like he did in Miami and builds his own superteam elsewhere, likely LA.

He said he would only consider it for a max offer. To do that they would need to get rid of one of their core four, likely Klay, and basically sign their bench full of replacement level players. It won't happen.

Lakers land Isaiah Thomas, Frye and first round pick for Clarkson and Nance. I hate to see Nance go but IT is one of my favourite players in the league, if he gets anywhere near his 2017 form then I feel like it’s a steal for us. Nice little rental plus we get a first round pick, wtf.

As for the Cavs. They get deeper but lose the best player. See how chemistry goes but I would rather Lebron have a dangerous option to help score rather than have even more depth.

Damn. You beat me to it.

Anyways, I understand that they were having chemistry issues but I think the Cavs just got fucked with no lube. IT, Channing Frye, and a 1st round pick for two admittedly young athletic players but, they're not spectacular players.

I think the Cavs could've gotten a lot more than they did for IT.

Damn. You beat me to it.

Anyways, I understand that they were having chemistry issues but I think the Cavs just got fucked with no lube. IT, Channing Frye, and a 1st round pick for two admittedly young athletic players but, they're not spectacular players.

I think the Cavs could've gotten a lot more than they did for IT.

Yep I love this trade for the Lakers, it’s fantastic I think. I can’t believe Cleveland added a first round pick. Teams didn’t want to give us a first rounder for Clarkson but the Cavs decided to throw IT into the deal as well. Lakers can now sign two max contracts this offseason and can add a bit of credibility in the mean time with Thomas. Not to mention we could steal another good role player late in the draft like we did with Hart and Kuzma.

Got to agree on they should’ve got more for Thomas but what other teams are looking for a PG? Hornets would be crazy to trade Kemba for him and the only other teams I could see using IT are Memphis, Twolves, Spurs and Knicks all of which could only offer a first rounder better than the Lakers. Magic should’ve made the move but I think they’re just lost.

Cavs just got Rodney Hood. Good pick up, not sure who they traded off for him, hopefully for their sake it was somehow only Shumpert.

Okay it was a 3 team trade involving Jazz and Kings. Cavs get Hill and Hood. Jazz get Crowder and Rose, Kings get Joe Johnson... not sure if kings get more but they should for Hill. Good move for Jazz and good for Cavs.

Okay Shumpert to the kings as well

Edit 50,0000000: I just read Wade is being traded to the Heat! Wow. Not a massive move but shocking.

It’s for a fucking heavily protected second round pick, I’m done. He must be retiring at the end of the year.

Damn WTF ARE THE CAVS DOING?!?!?!?!?!?

They trade D Wade to the Heat for a FUCKING SECOND ROUND PICK!!!!!!! Holy shit. Dumb asses.

I like the pick ups of Hill and Hood for the Cavs, but man, I think they can throw winning a title out the window this season. Too many new pieces and what not. Unless they have some kind of chemistry and gel right away. Still can't believe they dealt Wade for a second round pick. He was doing great coming off the bench before IT got there. He must've asked for a trade. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Damn WTF ARE THE CAVS DOING?!?!?!?!?!?

They trade D Wade to the Heat for a FUCKING SECOND ROUND PICK!!!!!!! Holy shit. Dumb asses.
Nah, they did that to be nice. With them trading for younger players, Wade was going to basically be riding the pine the rest of the year. They traded Wade to the Heat to help Wade out. It wasn't about what they get in return, it was about doing right by Wade. It was classy.

Well, that was an interesting trade deadline. Very happy with the deal the Lakers made. As much as I hate seeing Nance Jr. go, I think what we got in return was really good. The Lakers have proven to be really good at picking late in the draft, so the FIRST ROUND pick we got is huge. Reports say that IT's agent stands put in letting the Lakers know that IT won't be coming off the bench. We shall see. If Magic Johnson tells IT to come off the bench, then I think IT does it. If not, buy that dude out. Hell, teams must be waiting for the waiver wire as there are still a few teams who can get some good players.

As for the Lakers, I wonder how the rotation will look like. It looks like Thomas Bryant or Ivica Zubac will be getting the minutes, this'll be fun to see. Will probably need to stagger Randle and Lopez's minutes so it'll be Randle w/Zubac/Bryant then Lopez w/Kuzma. All in all, I look forward to seeing the changes Walton and his coaching staff does.

Also, it'll be quite the sight to see Nance Jr. in a Cavs jersey at the dunk contest.

Getting rid of thomas was a good move by the cavs. I.T has gone from potential max contract player to locker room cancer

Did anyone else see the Cavs beat the brakes off of the Celtics? Now I know that was just one game but damn, they looked like a whole new team and that was without Kevin Love. I think their new roster makes them a lock to come out of the East again and, we'll see, but they might even be able to compete with Golden State and Houston for a title.

If the Cavs plan on running and running, Kevin Love may want to get used to more sitting than playing. If they start to kick ass without him, he may play a lot less when he gets back. Should've asked for a trade a month ago.

Yeah I just became too accustomed to Lebron having superstars around him that I forgot how much he can actually carry a team, because he hasn’t done it since 2010. Now he doesn’t exactly need to carry this team but he will always be the clear #1 instead Irving/Wade bopping their heads for a couple of games a year. It’s only been a few games but it’s a good start. They somehow got better at shooting and athleticism which is great. Unsure if they beat Celtics still but If Lebron is anywhere near his great self then it’s going to hard to stop them.

Yeah I just became too accustomed to Lebron having superstars around him that I forgot how much he can actually carry a team, because he hasn’t done it since 2010. Now he doesn’t exactly need to carry this team but he will always be the clear #1 instead Irving/Wade bopping their heads for a couple of games a year. It’s only been a few games but it’s a good start. They somehow got better at shooting and athleticism which is great. Unsure if they beat Celtics still but If Lebron is anywhere near his great self then it’s going to hard to stop them.

Serious question, why is everybody talking about the Celtics possibly beating the Cavs when the Raptors are currently the #1 seed in the East? Call me salty, but I'm tired of Toronto always being overlooked, especially by the Cavs/Warriors network also known as ESPN.

The Raps have destroyed both the Cavaliers and Celtics this season, are top 4 in the league in both offensive and defensive efficiency and have the best bench in the game by far. I'm not saying they're going to the Finals, but it's like there are 29 teams in the league and that random "other" team up north who happens to have the third best record in the league.

Charles Barkley is the only NBA analyst (using that term very loosely) who has given Toronto any sort of love and for that, I love Charles Barkley. So yeah, there's my rant. Fling tomatoes as you like.

Serious question, why is everybody talking about the Celtics possibly beating the Cavs when the Raptors are currently the #1 seed in the East? Call me salty, but I'm tired of Toronto always being overlooked, especially by the Cavs/Warriors network also known as ESPN.

The Raps have destroyed both the Cavaliers and Celtics this season, are top 4 in the league in both offensive and defensive efficiency and have the best bench in the game by far. I'm not saying they're going to the Finals, but it's like there are 29 teams in the league and that random "other" team up north who happens to have the third best record in the league.

Charles Barkley is the only NBA analyst (using that term very loosely) who has given Toronto any sort of love and for that, I love Charles Barkley. So yeah, there's my rant. Fling tomatoes as you like.

A very very large portion is simply due to the way ESPN and other sports news networks report the league. ESPN is the largest offender because they are the largest network, but they report on large markets, mega stars, and hot topics to appeal to the largest number of people. LeBron is a mega star. Golden State has been to three straight finals, a hot topic. Boston is a major market and a historical powerhouse. They get the most air time, so most casual fans just assume that they are the best.

For the more informed fans, Toronto has some good players but neither Lowery or DeRozen, despite being very good players, are true super-stars. They have a very solid coach in Casey but he doesn't have the playoff success of some of the other coaches of the top teams. It also doesn't help that in 2014 and 2015 they lost their opening round series as the higher seed, in 2016 when they were in the conference finals they were constantly taken to the limit by the lower seed teams, and last year they were swept by Cleveland.

While they are having regular season success, they are an unproven playoff commodity and post season atmosphere, probably more than any other of the big four North American sports, in the NBA is completely different.

Believe me, I get it. A few years back when LeBron was in Miami and my Pacers pushed them to the limit in back to back conference finals, the reporting was always about how Miami were blowing in as opposed to Indiana winning it, but its simply the way it goes.

A very very large portion is simply due to the way ESPN and other sports news networks report the league. ESPN is the largest offender because they are the largest network, but they report on large markets, mega stars, and hot topics to appeal to the largest number of people. LeBron is a mega star. Golden State has been to three straight finals, a hot topic. Boston is a major market and a historical powerhouse. They get the most air time, so most casual fans just assume that they are the best.

For the more informed fans, Toronto has some good players but neither Lowery or DeRozen, despite being very good players, are true super-stars. They have a very solid coach in Casey but he doesn't have the playoff success of some of the other coaches of the top teams. It also doesn't help that in 2014 and 2015 they lost their opening round series as the higher seed, in 2016 when they were in the conference finals they were constantly taken to the limit by the lower seed teams, and last year they were swept by Cleveland.

While they are having regular season success, they are an unproven playoff commodity and post season atmosphere, probably more than any other of the big four North American sports, in the NBA is completely different.

Believe me, I get it. A few years back when LeBron was in Miami and my Pacers pushed them to the limit in back to back conference finals, the reporting was always about how Miami were blowing in as opposed to Indiana winning it, but its simply the way it goes.

Oh, I definitely understand what you're saying. And it wouldn't be so annoying if the Raps at least got mentioned for more than 5 seconds. And while I get (and agree) with all of your points, the main issue with most Raptors fans is that it's like Toronto is invisible. For instance, ESPN recently put out a poll asking fans which is the most likely Finals scenario. The options were CLE/GS, CLE/HOU, BOS/GS, BOS/HOU. I was watching a Stephen A. rant where he was talking about the monotony of the CLE/GS saga and wishing he could talk about some fresh Finals stories. He mentioned Boston, the Wizards, the Thunder, and the Timberwolves but no Raps.

I get it, the US fanbase doesn't give a shit about the Toronto Raptors, and I don't blame them for that. But I thought basketball analysts were supposed to talk about you know, basketball. You'd think the team with the third best record in the league would at least get some cursory mentions. I mean, you literally analyzed the Raptors in your post more fully than the analysts have analyzed them all year.

But, to bring this whole thing back to the original point, I think Toronto has a much better chance against Cleveland than Boston does. Boston has some very worrying offensive problems and other than Kyrie and possibly Al Horford, the Celtics have nobody that can steal a game for them. If either one of those guys has an off couple of games, they're in big trouble. Tatum and Brown could help carry the load but they absolutely need Kyrie to play at or above his level at all times in order to compete. Even without Derozan or Lowry (though I'm not delusional enough to say the Raps can win without them), Toronto has a strong third option in Ibaka and Valanciunas has the potential to take over given the right matchup. Not to mention a bench that averages over 45 pts a game. I still think the Cavs are coming out of the East because it's almost impossible to bet against Lebron, but if anyone's going to give them a fight, I'd put my money on Toronto before Boston. And that's not only because I'm from Toronto.

I see what you’re saying ODYK, and fair point, they deserve love. However, I agree with yaz here. It’s a good make up of a team but doesn’t have that true superstar. Derozen is a pretty one dimensional scorer the way I look at it. I love a mid range game more than anyone but if he isn’t getting to the line, his midrange game seems to not be as efficient. Lowry is someone you want in your team but I have never seen him step up in a series to take his team to the next level. I remember those years when they were beating brooklyn (once) but it wasn’t Lowry doing it (sure he hit some clutch shots but still), his team failed to beat the Wizards (was it two years ago) when they were clear favourites. Not only lost but got swept and then obviously they did nothing against the Cavs last year. JVal hasn’t gotten to the level I thought he could’ve, to be fair he doesn’t get much of a go, reminds me of Dwight at Atlanta, Ibaka isn’t the defensive machine he was meant to be and I just don’t see the bench being that good. I don’t watch a lot of Raptors games but Siakham doesn’t do much for me, Vanvleet is good and a solid pg of the bench, Miles only hits 3s. Yeah I just don’t like the talent that much on the team and see the Celtics having the best player, better coach and better supporting cast.

I feel like Raptors should have a better home court advantage than they do and that hurts them.

Toronto doesn't get any love for two reasons. First, they play in a market ESPN, and frankly the NBA, doesn't care about. Second, they haven't done well in the playoffs with essentially the same team they have now. Toronto has to get to the ECF. That's on them. Will ESPN ever show them love? No. Look at the way they treated San Antonio, the NBA's New England Patriots from 1999-2014. Never going to happen.

Oh, I definitely understand what you're saying. And it wouldn't be so annoying if the Raps at least got mentioned for more than 5 seconds. And while I get (and agree) with all of your points, the main issue with most Raptors fans is that it's like Toronto is invisible. For instance, ESPN recently put out a poll asking fans which is the most likely Finals scenario. The options were CLE/GS, CLE/HOU, BOS/GS, BOS/HOU. I was watching a Stephen A. rant where he was talking about the monotony of the CLE/GS saga and wishing he could talk about some fresh Finals stories. He mentioned Boston, the Wizards, the Thunder, and the Timberwolves but no Raps.

I get it, the US fanbase doesn't give a shit about the Toronto Raptors, and I don't blame them for that. But I thought basketball analysts were supposed to talk about you know, basketball. You'd think the team with the third best record in the league would at least get some cursory mentions. I mean, you literally analyzed the Raptors in your post more fully than the analysts have analyzed them all year.

But, to bring this whole thing back to the original point, I think Toronto has a much better chance against Cleveland than Boston does. Boston has some very worrying offensive problems and other than Kyrie and possibly Al Horford, the Celtics have nobody that can steal a game for them. If either one of those guys has an off couple of games, they're in big trouble. Tatum and Brown could help carry the load but they absolutely need Kyrie to play at or above his level at all times in order to compete. Even without Derozan or Lowry (though I'm not delusional enough to say the Raps can win without them), Toronto has a strong third option in Ibaka and Valanciunas has the potential to take over given the right matchup. Not to mention a bench that averages over 45 pts a game. I still think the Cavs are coming out of the East because it's almost impossible to bet against Lebron, but if anyone's going to give them a fight, I'd put my money on Toronto before Boston. And that's not only because I'm from Toronto.

Stehpen A is gonna be Stephen A. Even with basketball, the sport he came up reporting on, he still knows he will get more clicks and views by being outlandish than being smart.

I also support your wild theory that analysts should be analysts and cover a range of topics. Sadly, it just doesn't happen. Being a smaller market fan sucks.

I do think Toronto has a chance because of Lowrey and DeRozen and like you said, Ibaka is solid and Valanciunis has shown he can be strong and they have a competent bench and because Boston is falling and Cleveland, despite looking good the last couple games, still needs to make sure their improvement is lasting.

I will be honest, if Toronto puts a deep playoff run together and can keep the team together next year, I think they will get more coverage because if LeBron leaves Cleveland they go back to being irrelevant. Washington is probably gonna trend down next year because they have been a better team with John Wall on the court and that is causing infighting. Boston will still probably be good. Indiana should still mid a mid tier seed but I doubt we leap up too far and unless Milwaukee makes a massive step with a new coach, they are still too young and raw.

I will always have a soft spot for Toronto though because of these sexy mother fuckers.

thumb.aspx

I'd like to offer my 2 cents on this. For me, I over look the Raps because this isn't the first time they've been very very good during the regular season. Now Idk what's going to happen this year, but using their other seasons where they've been amazing during the regular season as a sample size, I don't expect them to do much in the playoffs because in those seasons they got the brakes beat off of em in the playoffs. So, before I or most serious fans of basketball can start taking them seriously, we need to see them do something in the post season.

Same reason I can't fully get behind the Rockets to make it to the Finals. They're amazing, but whenever CP3 and Harden get to the playoffs they usually choke. I'm going to have to see them buck the trend before I can confidently expect them to win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back