NBA Dream Team

I saw this was done couple years ago, It wouldn't let me reply. I'll start a new thread about it. If you were a NBA GM, You need to sign players to win the finals, who would you pick? You can choose from any players of all time.

This would be mine team

PG- John Stockton- Smart player, Great passer, can steal the ball.

SG- Reggie Miller- Excellent clutch player, can shoot 3's, makes high percenatge shots, Great Free throw shooter.

SF- Chris Mullin- Great shooter in his prime, Mullin was also a great free throw shooter.

PF- Dennis Rodman- I dont need a scorer cause I got Reggie, Mullin, and Kareem. I want him for his boards and his great D.

C- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar- Skyhook! If Reggie or Mullin has a bad game, Kareem can always hit that Skyhook when ever needed.

For the sixth man- Kevin McHale- Great post player, can block shots, make high percentage shots.

I find your glaring lack of Jordan, Magic and Bird disturbing...

Anyway my team will be

PG - Magic Johnson - Great point guard and with his size can cover every position.
SG- Michael Jordan - Best player of all time.
SF- Larry Bird - Great shooter, rebounder, defender, playmaker.
PF - Karl Malone - Consistent scorer and great physical defender and rebounder.
C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Sky hook unguardable.

A more recent version would be

PG -Chris Paul- Great leader and passer and able to create his own shots too
SG -Kobe Bryant- Pure scorer that can score anywhere
SF - Lebron James- Can do it all. Score, rebound, defend, assist
PF/C - Tim Duncan - Consistently great
PF/C - Garnett - Great defensive anchor that can score and rebound too.

My All-NBA Dream Team would be:

PG – Magic Johnson
SG – Michael Jordan
SF – Larry Bird
PF – Hakeem Olajuwon
C – Shaquille O’Neal

I think everyone should have the “Holy Trinity” of Basketball on their team, but as far as the Power Forward and Center position goes, that’s where teams may differ.

This team is built with the idea that the greatest players do not always equal the greatest team. It's also built with the idea of competing in today's NBA, where teams like to go smaller and be quicker. However, all players are considered in their primes and reap the benefits of today's training and vitamins, which means that a player from the 1960s is going to be assumed to have the same strength and abilities he would have if he were coming up through today's ranks. Finally, I'm building this team based upon how basketball SHOULD be played, and not how it is officiated today.

PG - Jerry West - While most people would start with Magic here, I'm choosing to go with West, for one very simple reason. West is a much better shooter from distance than Johnson ever dreamed of being. With LeBron and James, I have all the penetration ability I could ever need, a "playmaker" isn't at the top of my needs list. But as we all saw in the 2012 NBA Finals, when you have guys who are great penetrators, the team itself is nearly unbeatable if you have guys around the perimeter who force defenses to stay honest. Jerry West fits this role, and was also a good assist man and was a multiple time All-Defensive team player as well.

SG - Michael Jordan - I could explain, but don't really think I need to.

SF - LeBron James - After watching what he could do in the 2012 playoffs, I think this pick is pretty easily explained. In addition to his fantastic offensive abilities, his ability to defend multiple positions and be a terrific rebounder allow for Larry Bird to slide into the PF role with no harm to team rebounding or even team defense.

PF - Larry Bird - In today's NBA, Bird could easily play the 4 spot (think Dirk Nowitzki). With Bird on the floor, the floor is opened up even more for Jordan and James to penetrate to the hole, and Bird's non-stop tenacity and desire for victory add certain intangibles to a team destined for greatness.

C - Wilt Chamberlain - This was definitely the most difficult position to choose. Russell and Jabbar were definitely hard to put down, but at the end of the day Chamberlain is still seen as the most dominant center to ever play the game. He has a sky high FG %, and he averaged 20+ rebounds a game for his career.

Bench:

PG - Magic Johnson - For obvious reasons

PG - Oscar Robertson - The Big "O", also known as the last guy to average a triple-double for an entire season, was a fantastic scorer, good defensive player, and was obviously a good rebounder. With Robertson on the team, we now have two guys who can play the PG or SG slots (Robertson and West), giving the team versatility in matchups.

SG - George Gervin
- One of the trademarks of being a great bench player is the ability to come in and put points on the board in a hurry. This describes The Iceman. Averaging over 25 PPG during his career, and more importantly, doing it on over 50% FG, Gervin is a guy that can be inserted into the game when you need some scoring. His defense may not be as good as Kobe's, but Kobe has never been much of a team guy, I have Pippen for bench defense and Gervin has the much higher shooting percentage.

SF - Scottie Pippen - This was another REALLY tough decision, but I opted with Pippen over Elgin Baylor and Julius Erving. Pippen was a fantastic all around player, could score inside and outside, and was a lockdown defender who could guard multiple positions. Additionally, Pippen is comfortable not being the first option on the team, which is of benefit on a superstar loaded team like this one. And with LeBron and Bird in the starting lineup, this team now has three different guys who can fill the SF slot.

PF - Tim Duncan - Tim Duncan might very well be the greatest underrated player ever. He is a terrific defender, great rebounder, and a very efficient scorer. But most importantly, he's a team player, who can play either the PF or C positions.

PF - Karl Malone
- A great scorer, a good rebounder and a man of exceptional physical athleticism, Malone adds toughness and athleticism to a bench that could use some. Throw in the fact he's the second leading scorer of all-time, and you have a great bench player.

C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Another case of where no explanation is necessary.

To recap, on a 12 man roster, I have outside shooting, penetration, great passing, great defense and fantastic rebounding. Also, I have three different guys who can play the point, four guys who can play the 2 spot, three guys who can play SF, four who can play PF, and three who can play center. That's called versatility. Finally we have a roster which is assembled to be a team, who (hopefully) complement each other as well as can be expected and we still have most of the greatest players of all-time.

PG- Magic Johnson- Magic is the greatest point guard of all time and would excel even more in today's game then he did back in his prime. I want my point guard to be able to run the break and get everyone involved offensively. No one did that better then Magic.

SG- Michael Jordan- MJ is the greatest player of all time and needs to be in everyone's starting 5. Not only is he the greatest scorer of all time, he is one of the greatest defenders of all time.

SF- LeBron James- He may be the most physically gifted player to ever step foot in the NBA, as well as one of the most talented. His complete skill set and ability to defend makes him a must start. Remember he doesn't have to be "The Man" while playing alongside MJ. He can instead play a Scottie Pippen role, except a lot better then Pippen could ever do it (no offense to Scottie).

PF- Larry Bird- More of a small forward back in the 80's but the game has gotten smaller recently and Bird would be more then capable of playing the 4. He brings superb outside shooting and toughness.

C- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar- Great offensively, great defensively, and the most unstoppable shot in NBA history.

Bench:

PG- Isiah Thomas- One of the toughest players the NBA has ever seen and also one of the most talented. Thomas was an elite scorer, great defender, and he was underrated as a passer.

SG- Kobe Bryant- Kobe is the closest player resembling MJ that the NBA has ever seen so it seems fitting that he backs him up. Kobe can score from anywhere on the floor and is an elite defender.

SF- Elgin Baylor- Baylor was LeBron before LeBron's mom was even born. He could score inside and out, was a great passer, and a great defender. Arguably the greatest player to never win an NBA title.

PF- Tim Duncan- "The Big Fundamental" is the best pure power forward of all time. He is an elite post scorer, elite rebounder, great defender, and he does it all without any controversy.

C- Wilt Chamberlain- Wilt was the first unstoppable force in NBA history. The stats speak for themselves and will never be matched. While they are inflated due to his superior size for that time period, they are still damn impressive.

PG- Oscar Robertson- "The Big O" was a walking triple double and is the only player to ever average a triple double for a season. He is such a diverse player that there is no way to keep him off this team and his size would allow him to play multiple positions.

PF- Karl Malone- The Mailman is the second leading scorer in NBA history. His offensive ability and toughness is a great way to round out the roster.

Coach: Chuck Daly

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back