• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Names Changes

hatehabsforever

Staff member
Just wondering why some people, especially long time posters, have the tendency to change their user names over and over again. I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, just wondering why people make a name for themselves under one name, then go and change it, sometimes many times.

Because there's been a few times I've read someone's post, thought it was good and they might be new, only to see they have been here already for ages (as seen in the post count) under another name.

Some guys have had the same name since day one, you can skip to (or from) their posts easily. What's up with the changes?

Барбоса;2039982 said:
Change is good. It is nothing to be feared

No fear, just curiosity, that's all.

You are a good example of my point. If I were going through a non-spam thread and saw your name as it is today (I know you changed it a while ago but bear with me), I might have a tendency to skip it, without reading it, simply because I wouldn't know who you were or that you used to be Barbosa. Whereas if I knew it was you, I would make a point of reading it as your posts are usually pretty good. If I didn't look at the post count or rep bar, you could be overlooked. And you can't judge from avatars, because they change and are duplicated as well.

I always have Doc in my name (soon to be The Doctor). And no one else uses this avatar.

I only changed my name once... it was to eliminate "The" in my name. Now I'm just "D-Man". I probably won't be changing it again.

I always have Doc in my name (soon to be The Doctor). And no one else uses this avatar.

I only changed my name once... it was to eliminate "The" in my name. Now I'm just "D-Man". I probably won't be changing it again.

That's my point exactly. Such a minor change as that wouldn't leave you unrecognized. Whether you're "D-Man" or "The D-Man," your identity is clear and I can read your posts, or avoid them, knowing exactly who you are.

I often skim the forums pretty quickly, and tend to focus more on familiar posters on topics which interest me. If you suddenly changed your name to something drastically different, I'd likely miss some of your posts.

I was a Killjoy. I went around posting and people expected me to kill the mood. I kinda still do, but I don't an obligation any more.

My username always contains Dewey or Dew, and usually has a pop culture reference. Also, I'm the only TRUE regular to use Pillman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back