• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Most Shocking MITB Cash-In

NotoriousWWE

Pre-Show Stalwart
As you can see the question is, who and of which MITB holder cashing in was the most shocking? Was it RVD's iconic cash-in? How about Edge's infamous cash-in's? Or even The Miz's against Randy Orton?

This is the most shocking in my mind:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlGVKzV8y28&feature=related

I had no idea it was coming and neither did a lot of fans. When suddenly his music hit I didn't know what to think and I loved the way he walked past Batista as if he was saying ' I'm about to take the title you were so close to winning just the night before '. The event being the Draft made it oh so better and the outcome, well.... Couldn't have been better!

Thoughts?

I have to say the first.

At the time the idea of someone cashing in when their opponent was down was pretty surprising. Plus Cena had been champion for 9 months with no signs of slowing down.

Edge was still an upper midcarder then, and the idea of him winning the belt from Cena, especially after a brutal elimination chamber match, was quite shocking.

I was most surprised by Punk's second cash-in, the one on Jeff Hardy. Considering Jeff had just won the title from Edge, and Punk had fought Umaga earlier in the night, no one was expecting a cash-in, especially since both guys were face at the time. This of course led to Punk's awesome heel turn, so it also gets my pick for best outcome from a cash-in.

I have to say the very first cash-in was the most shocking. The fact that it had never been done before meant there was a lot of anticipation surrounding the briefcase; an anticipation that has some-what died down now that so many people have won it in a "shocking" manor.

Alberto del Rio was lackluster, mostly due to his significant de-push, fall from grace, and involvement of the highly convoluted Kevin Nash angle... I don't think anybody cared about Jack Swagger. Still don't...

RVD's was pretty exciting because he cashed-in ahead of time, and the atmosphere of that One Night Stand was awesome. But not "shocking" considering we knew about the match ahead of time...

Miz and CM Punk's second cash-in were among the more lackluster ones that were enjoyable...but altogether not fantastic. Started an awesome fun for Miz, but the start wasn't groundbreaking.

The only cash-in that came close to Edge's original in my opinion, was Kane. Partly because he was still a face, and partly because I figured a face Kane would never cash-in on a beaten-down Rey Mysterio... Plus that it was in the same night he won the contract, so nobody really saw it coming. Loved that moment, but I still have to give the EDGE to Edge...

I have to agree with you on the Punk cash in (the first one). The Inaugural cash in was very shocking, but Vince coming out and taking forever too announce it, ruined the surprise shock factor, only minimally though. However with Punk's cash in you had never seen a face do it before (not in a full blown match like RVD). From every cash in on you could almost always tell the moments in which the cash in might happen due to all of the failed (then regained) MITB cash in we have seen. The first one comes in second, but I had no idea the CM Punk was going to cash in, not a single hint at the time.

its gotta be the first one. When we heard Edge's music play directly after the Chamber it was pretty shocking, seeing as how he was in an Intercontinental title match with Flair earlier in the night. He did however hint at it in his post-match interview which kinda gave us a hint.

I think Kane's was the best one. He came out and saved Mysterio and then came back with the briefcase. I didn't see it coming.

Without a doubt it's Edge cashing in on Cena, after Cena had just retained his title in an incredible Elimination Chamber match against the likes of Kurt Angle, Kane, and Shawn Michaels he then had to deal with a fresh and pumped Edge cashing in his Money In The Bank breifcase. It was extremely shocking and on top of that it was such a huge moment for Edge winning his first WWE Championship.

Rob Van Dam's was probably my favorite because of the way he did it and they incredible atmosphere at One Night Stand but the most shocking will probably stay with Edge for a long time.

Edge's first cash in after the Elimination Chamber.... I didnt know what to think....Infact I think I was outraged at the time.

Brilliant moment. Shocks like that come few and far between.

I agree with everyone who said Edge. The first time it was chased was awesome, no one knew it was going to happen. Although I'm not going with that cash in, I'm going with his second cash in on Undertaker. Edge was a RAW guy and it took me by surprise that he came to Smackdown and won the WHC. It came out of no where. I'm surprised no one mentioned that one yet.

Other than the first cash in there aren't any that are shocking, just pick the moment that is going to cheapen the title the most, and that's when the cash in occurs. RVD by far had the best cash in.

For me, it was probably the first time CM Punk cashed in against Edge. It was the first time a babyface pulled such a heel tactic. It seemed somewhat poetic when you took into account how Edge won his first WWE Championship and the "Ultimate Opportunist" was a victim of his own scheme.

it's a toss up with Edge's first cash in and Punk's second cash in, BUT when i look at it, the signs were there with Edge's first cash in. he beat up on Ric, Coach predicted him to walk out with gold, it was like they were trying to tell us. Punk's came out of nowhere, i expected Punk to hold onto that case for a while and build him up, but they didnt. it was a surprise and a great one. the others were kinda expected. i expected Kane to cash in real soon, i though Swagger would hold onto it for a while, but when he first tried to cash in on raw, i expected it to then be soon, Edge's 2nd cash in, i saw coming and CM Punk's first cash in, i expected that one because at the time, there were no champions on RAW, so i expected Punk to cash in real soon.

Jack Swagger on Chris Jericho for the WHC. Jericho had just gotten a beat down by Edge and was laying the hurt when, DUN-DUN-DUN-DAAA!! Out runs Swagger with the briefcase.

"CASH IT! CASH IT! GET A REF!!!"

Just wasted Jericho in less than a minute. Poor Jericho had no friggen clue what the hell was going on.

1. Edge- I predicted the cash-in. The truth is, I tried predicting every PPV that Edge was going to cash in and he never did, but that didn't stop me from expecting it at the end when Cena won the Chamber. When Edge came out, I marked out, but I was expecting to mark out. Especially considering Cena won the Chamber with about 10 minutes to spare on the PPV...

2. Rob Van Dam- With ECW coming back, it was obvious that RVD was going to cash in at One Night Stand. Not only were the dirtsheets reporting it, but it was just obvious to any fan with common sense. It was a fantastic way to do it and I wish more people would do it this way.

3. Edge- Mr. Kennedy was injured for only 3 weeks. There was no reason why he couldn't have left and came back all with the briefcase still in hand. When Edge beat Kennedy for the case I knew it meant that they wanted a title switch happen now. It was obviously not going to be on Raw considering the pushes of Randy and Cena were still in full-speed so going to SD was a logical choice. The dirtsheets were reporting Taker was injured and it just made so much sense. I told a friend of mine right when Edge won the case that Edge is going to SD. I didn't know it would be exactly the night after, but it didn't surprise me much.

4- CM Punk- Raw was left without a champion, and Edge randomly came to Raw just to tell the audience he won't ever defend his title there? Really? I thought it couldn't be more obvious, but then Batista attacks him. Don't get me wrong, this was my FAVORITE CASH-IN as I've always been a huge Punk fan, but I was expecting Punk to do this all the way. It was still a great moment though.

5- CM Punk- The dirtsheets spoiled this for me. The rumors of Punk turning heel were in full-motion and Punk also said in an interview he'd be feuding with Jeff Hardy during the year. After Punk beat Umaga that night, it was the decisive victory he needed to be pushed as a main eventer. Again, when Punk came out, I marked out, but I wasn't surprised one bit.

6- Jack Swagger- Not only was this the most surprising winner, it was also the most surprising cash-in. Who really thought Swagger was going to cash-in on Jericho? I also think this was the worst cash-in ever. No build-up, no hype, nothing, it was Jack the Jobber coming out and pinning Jericho after a spear. We were then supposed to believe Jack was a top star. He has the potential to be, but his push failed because it wasn't really a push, it was a skyrocket up his ass that never went anywhere.

7- Kane- I really thought Cody would be taking it, but Kane was my #2 guy. But after he won, I knew he would cash in soon. I didn't think he would cash in the same night. But when Kane came out to help Rey fend off Swagger, it was obvious Kane was going to cash-in. Essentially, the idea that he would cash in that night was surprising, but it was obvious he was going to after coming out to help Rey so the surprise lost its luster.

8- The Miz- After Swagger, this was definitely the worst cash in ever. Alex Riley came out that night and said The Miz was having an anxiety attack and couldn't compete? And then The Nexus came out to beat up Orton? What a happy coincidence for The Miz to cash-in later that night... I wanted him to cash in during a TLC match at TLC, hit the competitors with chairs, climb up the ladder and take the title. Instead, we got this anti-climatic cash-in that felt like a cheap rip-off all the others.

9- Alberto Del Rio- The third worst cash-in on this list. This also surprised no one obviously. The worst part is that in storyline, Del Rio had no idea Kevin Nash would attack Punk which means this was just another happy coincidence like The Miz's. Those two cash-ins are pretty terrible, along with Jack Swagger's. It also lead to a terrible Del Rio push that went nowhere because they waited too long to pull the trigger on his title run.

10- Daniel Bryan- The best cash-ins are the ones that make sense. Edge knew Cena would be downright destroyed after his Chamber and he also knew Taker and Batista were going to have a grueling Steel Cage match. Punk didn't care wether Edge or Jeff left that ladder match as World Champion because he knew he was going to cash in on which ever. Kane didn't wait for anyone to assault Rey, he did the assault himself and cashed-in. And RVD wanted to steal the WWE title at ECW's biggest PPV so he had to cash-in. These made sense.

Jack Swagger, Alberto Del Rio and The Miz's cash-ins not only were senseless, but they were downright boring. The champs got beat up and the contenders cashed in. It was unoriginal and just dumb booking from WWE's part. Why was Swagger even on SD? He knew Jericho was going to get beat up by Edge? And even if he did, it was still very hard to believe he was world title material after jobbing for the past few months. And The Miz needed something more epic, not some random Raw cash-in after a beatdown. Sure, Punk did it before him, but when Punk did it, it made sense. Raw was without champion and Edge was on Raw, and I firmly believe that even if Batista didn't beat up Edge, Punk would have tried to cash in anyway.

Hopefully, Daniel Bryan tries to be a little more creative with his cash-in. There are so many ways WWE can use the briefcase creatively. Why not cash in on a vacant title and automatically be declared champion? Why not cash in DURING a match and pin the champ? Why not cash in DURING a Ladder match and take the title off the hook? Why not cash in at a house show? At the Superbowl? WWE needs to up their game with the briefcase, because the "cash-in after a beatdown" method has become way too stale. Let's hope Daniel comes through and brings some creativity to this gimmick.

The Miz had me jumping during his cash in. I guess it was the IWC side of me... but i just wanted Miz to win, i was tired of the same people in the run. I was not 100% sure if he would win, but around 55%. Seemed like a great one for me personally.

Edge's first cash-in at New Year's Resolution 2006 after the Elimination Chamber. It was really shocking .Never saw that coming and I wanted Edge to be WWE Champion for so long. Vince McMahon comes out...Edge's music plays ...SPEAR.....ANOTHER SPEAR ...BAM !....NEW WWE Champion. It was Awesome..

Of course the original cash in was the most shocking. Hard to top something in shock factor when all you do is repeat the event year after year.

I will say the Kane cash in shocked me pretty good though. Never expect a cash in on the same night.

Daniel Bryan's Cash-in

The shocking part came that they ruined the entire concept by making up new rules that pretty much lost any interest I had in the MITB gimmick.

Will they have to make a 20 min speech to make sure somebody having a twisted ankle can lose their world title now?

Edge. The second time, not the first. With him being on RAW I thought maybe Cena's time could be up but Edge jumped over to SmackDown and cashed in on 'Taker. Mark Henry was just walking to the back then "you think you know me". Cue Edge! He comes out, delivers a few spears and NEEEEEW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION, EDGE!

This shocked me a hell of a lot. A close 2nd is Punk's second cash in on Jeff Hardy, I did not expect that either.

I would have to say punks second cash-in on jeff hardy. They were both faces at the time, and when jeff kicked out of the first gts, punks face was just priceless. Then the heel turn after was just great.

Edge's first without a doubt. For me it was mainly the build up. Edge had the briefcase for 11 months and as far as I remember he never tried to cash it in before then. I was starting to think he never would cash in and WWE were going down that route. It also gave birth to him being labeled "The Ultimate Opportunist"

Only two come to mind. Edge's first one and CM Punk's first one. We all knew Edge's first was coming somehow but the way he did it was shocking at the time and set the standard for every cash in that followed. Punk's first one in summer 2008 takes a close second place for me because I was legit surprised by it and did not see it coming the way it did, during a time when Raw was without a world title for a couple of days and Edge got a taste of his own medicine. Both cash in's were awesome moments and by far the two best in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back