Most shocking: Cashing in the MitB, Edge or CM Punk?

El Rev sXe

If you have ghosts...
2nd thread of my series "Most Shocking". so we are all familiar with the concept of MitB and the fact that it has become a shock factor! that being said, let's get started this thread by pointing out the most shocking MitB moments IMO.

New Year's Revolution 2006: a bloody Cena has just retained the WWE championship in an Elimination Chamber. then, Mr.Mcmahon comes out and he says "congratulations John Cena for retaining the WWE championship, however this PPV isn't over":wtf: so then after ten months, Edge come's out with the briefcase he won at Mania 21 and hand's it to VKM. HE WAS CASHING IN HIS MITB!! two spears later, he won his very first WWE heavyweight championship.

Extreme Rules 2009: main event Jeff Hardy vs Edge for the WHC in a Ladder match. a back and forth match, both masters of the ladder but finally Hardy had made it. he won the big one (cause when he won the WWE title, that was a joke!). POW! CM Punk's music starts, he was cashing in the MitB to a newly crowned WHC Jeff Hardy. after 2 GTS we got a 2 time WHC: CM PUNK!

so why did I picked these 2? well, for the case of Edge it's because it was the very FIRST cashed-in. no one, and I mean NO ONE didn't know what to expect and definitely not that way.

for CM Punk, all I have to say is the fact that he did something with guts. he practically screw the favorite of the crowd. the possible face of the company, the only guy that was a thread for Cena: JEFF HARDY! plus by doing this, CM become one the major heels that the E has to offer today.

so what do you guys think?? wich one is most shocking: Edge "shocking the world" for the very first time or CM Punk screwing the kids and adults favorite, Jeff Hardy.

as always feel free to agree or disagree or mention other moments that shocked you involving Edge ,CM Punk or another MitB winner.

THANK YOU FOR READING!!!

Most shocking would probably be Edge's first cashing of the MITB mostly due to the fact that it was the very first cash in we ever saw, and the fact that he went so long before he cashed it in.

On an other note you could look at the most impacting cash in which I think would be CM Punk cashing in on Jeff Hardy because it launched the heel turn that has been going on so amazingly for over a year now, CM Punk has improved a lot with the heel turn, and due to that I think it could be considered the most impacting and most meaningful moment.

Although Edge's cash in was still an impacting one, it didn't have the same meaning to Edge's career because the first one of them was cashed in and he didn't hold the championship for very long, he didn't reach the main event level until his second cash in, which was a cash in he only earned because of Kennedy going out with an injury.

Has to be edges. It was the first one that we ever saw, and created the Rated-R that we all know now!.
No-body knew how edge was going to cash it in, or when or even what has to happen if he cashes the MITB in. It was a new era that set the benchmark...I'm Just Sayin...

Id say Punk's was very important on his career and he finally got to show everyone who didn't all ready know, that he can be an amazing heel. That being said, most shocking would have to go to Edge for me.

It was easily the craziest I ever got from watching a ppv. I remember it all pretty vividly, I was on an aim chat with random ppl on the gamefaqs boards and we were all watching the stream. The Cena hatred was at its peak and everyone was begging Angle to win the elimination chamber match. Then he gets eliminated and all hell breaks loose. Everyone's pissed but there was still hope that HBK was still in it. Then Carlito of all people eliminate HBK and I hopes of a title change quickly faded away. There was only Cena, Carlito and Masters left. So I was like, oh well, we could settle for Master's or Carlito as champ right? RIGHT??? Then of course Cena being the superman that he is pinned them both and retained his title. Me, the ppl on aim, and definitely the entire IWC was cursing up a storm and threatening to boycott WWE and all that crap. At that point we forgot about Edge's MITB since he had it for so friggin long. Then his music came, they announce he's cashing it in, and he defeats the "almighty" John Cena. All you could see on the aim chat was "HOLY SHIT!! HOLY SHIT!!! YESS!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!" Meanwhile I'm in my room flipping out, jumping for joy, goin crazy while everyone in my house is trying to sleep lol. I loved it, especially cuz it was Edge but even the people who wasn't a fan of his loved that moment too. EVERYONE wanted to see Cena finally lose the title at that point so it felt like a win for all of us !!

Edge's cash in is definitely the most shocking MITB cash in. I think it's arguably one of the most shocking moments of the past decade. This was the very first cash in and I had no idea it could even be used that way. I spent months wondering when Edge would use it to challenge for the title. When we entered 2006 and he still had the briefcase, I was sure it would be used at Wrestlemania 22.

So, it shocked me in how he cashed it in and when he cashed it in. Not to mention I was a big Cena hater in those days and I loved seeing Cena lose the title just moments after another successful defense. Punk's surprised me too, as MITB cash ins generally do, because it was on Jeff Hardy, the most over guy in the company. Seeing as how Punk was a face as well, I didn't see it coming. However, Edge's cash in is definitely 100% more shocking than Punks.

I will tell you the story and you judge:
I hadn't watched the PPV "New year's revolution" 2006, so I waited for the RAW the following day to find out who won the chamber.. unfortunately on my region's local time, raw starts about 8:00 a.m. so i had to go to school!!! I just watched the beginning which was the recap of the ppv...the footage showed the chamber match and cena won... so I turned off the TV and taped the rest of the show to watch it when I came back...I guess you can imagine how shocked I was to see edge cash in his contract and win the title!!!!

Edge obviously. He was the first to do it, plus he waited a long time to do it too so it was very shocking to see.
CM Punks cashing on Jeff Hardy was kinda suprising since after that he slowly became heel. He was still playing a face up until the bash where he got disqualified for kicking the ref which punk said was because of hardy poking his eye so he couldnt see, punk still tried to play a face, i dont think he turned fully heel until after sumerslam.
but anyways, edge's was most shoking since he was the first and noone had ever seen anyone cash it in

Im not going to be original: It was Edge's one. It as first ever cash-in, it was a cash-in that we haven't tought it could happen then, it was after the best match that happened before the cash-in... want more arguments?:D

Each are shocking in their own way. We can all say that Edge's was more shocking because it was the first. However, you have to remember he was still a heel at the time. Let's run them both down.

Edge was in full heel mode, having stolen Lita from Kane, and then his heated feud with Matt Hardy. Edge gets hurt and starts a thing with Flair, and they face each other at New Year's Revolution, and he cashes in later that night. Obviously, he set the stage by attacking Cena after the Elimination Chamber. But when you think about it, are you really surprised that a cowardly heel like Edge did that instead of going up against Cena straight up? He saw his opportunity and took it. "Oh but CM Punk did that!" I'm getting to that now.

CM Punk was a face for almost a full 3 years, and was losing momentum, which he was getting a ton of crap for on wrestling forums. He had won MITB for a second year, which everyone considered a miscarriage of justice, it should have went to someone else, everyone bitched about it.

So he gets drafted to Smackdown, and has a small program with Umaga ending at Extreme Rules. Later that night, he cashes in on Jeff Hardy after he beat Edge in a Ladder Match. The shocking part about this, Punk was still a face, and took the championship from the most over face on Smackdown, and arguably, I stress that part, the most over face in the company. Why the hell would he do that? He began wondering why he was getting booed, when he did what was best for him. The fans turned on him.

Now, looking at both situations, Edge gets the shock value by having been the first person to cash in MITB, and doing it at the end of a grueling match. Turned him into a Main Eventer as well. Punk gets the shock of face cashing in on face, again after a grueling match. This also led him back into the Main Event, and began a great heel turn, which is still going unbelievably strong.

At face value, Edge can get the shock for being the first. In my opinion, and it isn't just because I'm a Punk fan, I think Punk's is more shocking. You have a face cashing in on the biggest face of the show, and the after effect brought his heel turn. He was elevated, the fans turned on him, and he took off. Edge lost at the Rumble and his rematch a few weeks later, then turned his focus on Mick Foley. Punk lost at The Bash, and continued the feud.

Edge without a doubt, he was the originator and he has used the element of surprise to his advantage so many times. I was in shock (and very pleased) when he came out after elimination chamber and beat Cena for his 1st title.

Have to say Edges was without a shadow of a doubt. Cena has just fought through the EC match and NO ONE, not even myself who has been a die hard wrestling fan for the better part of 2 decades expected to see him cash it in especially since he had held it for so long. I was, like many others I'm sure expecting him to wait until WrestleMania and cash it in on the grandest stage of them all. But WWE pulled a swerve and had Edge cash it in. I honestly thought Cena was still going to retain despite being bloodied and beaten to a pulp. But yes without a doubt it would have to be Edges cashing in that did it as most shocking!

I have to say mr.money in the bank Rob Van Dam I know he wasn't on the list but he was the only mitb winner to cash it in in regular match and not just wait for a weak and fatigue champion to cash in on witch is to me shocking

Edge's was definitely shocking, but it has to be CM Punk. As soon as Edge did what he did, it made perfect sense. Of course he would steal the title from John Cena. That shock lasted a few seconds. When CM Punk did it, you were shocked and confused for days because he was a face and he just stole the title from another huge face.

Edge's was definitely shocking, but it has to be CM Punk. As soon as Edge did what he did, it made perfect sense. Of course he would steal the title from John Cena. That shock lasted a few seconds. When CM Punk did it, you were shocked and confused for days because he was a face and he just stole the title from another huge face.

I have to agree with him on this one,When Edge first did it..It was a shock but then again it was just another case of the"ultimate opportunist" taking the easy way to the title.

When CM Punk did it...You were shocked because at the time Punk was a face and seeing a face screw over another face just didn't seem right.

Edge after winning mania 21. Maybe because it was the first time it was done, or maybe because of the impact of the chamber match previously, but we were all in awe after. I think the impact after with his title reign and the way it ignited Cena and had us all want to believe in Edge as a new main eventer made it the most shocking.

Punks were good, but it was oppurtunistic in an edge-lite way.

I think Punks first cash in was more shocking.

I mean Edge winning was a bit of a shock but he was getting a huge push at that stage anyway.

Punk however won the MITB outta no where (the first time) and subsequently jobbed from Mania onwards.

Out of no where during the draft his music hits, everyone goes nuts. He is cashing it in.. at no point did I think he would actually win the belt, I figured it was just their way of going "the first person to fail is Punk" when he won I was legit shocked.

So there you have it, CM Punks first cash in is your winner.

I'm going to have to say Edge. The reason is not to do with Edge, and its nothing to do with Punk either. Its to do with who they beat. Jeff Hardy, while of course being extremely over with pretty much every fan you speak to, there was never really that feeling that he was invincible.

Cena on the other hand, had spent the previous 9 or so months locked in feuds with firstly Chris Jericho, who I expected would beat Cena for the title, and then Angle who I was certain would beat Cena. By New Years Revolution I was staying up until 4am to watch every PPV in the hope that Cena would lose the title. It shocking both because it was the first time, and also because we finally saw an end to Cena's title reign, that seemed destined to stretch from one Wrestlemania all the way to the next one

Not did i exactly expected Punk to cash in that night i don't think anyone saw Egde's cash in coming.The shock value has to go to Edge for cashing in on Cena. Sure Punk's cash in had a bigger impact on his career than Edge's has on his but to answer most shocking i will have to go with Edge.

And not to mention that cash in gave Edge the ultimate opportunist gimmick, a man who takes advantage of every opportunity lying in his path.

Going to have to pick Edge... Simply, because it was the first one...we never expected it...it was after Cena fought in the Chamber, we knew Edge had the briefcase, but no one had expected him to cash it in...

For me personally it was CM Punk. I am a huge Hardy fan and after seeing that amazing ladder match with Edge I was just so excited for Hardy. It was awesome seeing him win it. I wasn't really sure at the time if Jeff would be given another run with the world title after his WWE title run. Seeing him finally capture the title again made me really excited. And being a face I didn't expect at all that Punk would cash in on Hardy as at the time Punk was still face too.

That being said I would pick Edge's as the most shocking as a majority. Most people (and I agree) would say that Edge's at New Years Revolution was so shocking because he'd held the case for so long and he was the first to ever hold it. No one expected him to cash it in and Cena was just in probably the last seriously brutal chamber matches. Edge shocked the world that night by winning, it was probably the most shocking MITB cash in but as I said for me personally it was Punk's cash in on Hardy.

To be honest I'd have said Punk when he cashed it on Edge, mainly because the previous segment had sort of implied that Batista would somehow end up feuding with Edge for the title only for Punk to come out and win. But for some reason that's not an option here. So of the available options Edge becaue it hadn't been done before, granted a face on face cash in like CM Punk to Jeff hadn't been done either but Edge's was the first instance of it so it was just slightly better.

CM Punk, remember he was a face at the time, and it was a heel turn that nobody expected when he cashed in on Jeff Hardy. I just think he should have completed his heel turn rather than beating around the bush for a few weeks after the whole incident. I like when story lines are straight and to the point. And Joey Mercury, take off that stupid ass mask, we know that it is you in the SES already.

IMO you have to go with Edge...

Cena just had a triumph EC match and Edge already wrestled earlier in the night so nobody expected it! Even when his music hit I was like "hmm wonder what he's doing"

Than you see the briefcase and your like GENIOUS

great booking!

CM Punks was great as well but i still liked Edges!

Ok, lets be honest here. At the time Edge was: 1. Already a heel and 2. was smack bang in the middle of his "ultimate opportunist" character. So no, I wasn't shocked by edge's cash in...

The timing of it however - how it went down, after being totally gutted at the outcome of the main event. Maybe it was elation more than shock. Ye I dont think I was shocked at all to be honest. Thought I might have been but in the process of writing the first lines of this paragraph Ive changed my mind. It made sense for Edge to cash it in that way looking back on it, it would make sense for ANY heel to do it that way but Edge even more so because of the character traits they were pushing him on.

C.M punks I feel, with greater reflection wasn't that shocking, although I do indeed feel that I was shocked by the manner of it. Just not VERY shocked. Middle of a subtle heal turn (well subtle for the E anyway). Needed to actually do something "heelish" after spending weeks coming across in promos like that. Perfect way to ensure he turns completely (in the fans eyes at least) fuck Hardy over and better still fuck him outta his title and take it directly from him; rather than cause him to lose it to someone - then take it from them (the usual way this kinda angle goes down). Basically he came across like an arrogant ass for weeks then showed himself to be a little cowardly bitch.

In conclusion I dont think Egde's MITB moment was shocking at all. C.M punks I feel was shocking just not *gasp* "The Rock used Vinnie Macs help to become champ - I fuckin hate that guy now" shocking.

Nice thread btw - very interesting

I'm going have to say CM Punk. I didn't really expect to see Punk cash in then just because Batista was beating Edge up.

CM Punk's cashing in was really great because everybody liked him then.

Edge's cashing in however was more expected because he left it nearly the whole time-period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back