• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Money In the Bank Match at Wrestlemania (KEEP ALL MITB DISCUSSION IN HERE!)

MITB PPV doesn't need to change necessarily, you could just spice that PPV up with stipulations for winning, similar to the TNA concept I guess. I haven't watched TNA in a long time but the match where someone can be fired I believe.

Or wrestling for a contract to wrestle the champion at Summerslam.

I think actual MITB, should be at Wrestlemania and should be one winner who goes after any champion, as others have previously stated.

The 2 MITB holders is dull and alot more predictable. Imagine is DBryan could have cashed in on Punk after the triple threat ladder match, massive heel turn. A much better option.

I really hope the mitb match comes back to Wrestlemania! and gets rid of the mitb ppv. Don't get me wrong i loved the mitb ppv but it makes the match more special if its once a year on the grandest stage of them all!

I like the idea of it coming back it is a my favourite match to watch as it is exciting.

It also gives the midcard a chance of winning at mania which is a dream for most.

I also gives the opportunity of someone winning and cashing in at wrestlemania.
also if it did come back I want ted dibiase to win and cash in against orton, that would be EPIC.

An idea that could work for the MITB PPV is the winners only have 6 months to cash in. The WrestleMania winner would still have all year and either champion but the PPV one would have only 6 months. I think this could add a little more intrest between the champs and the holders because they would basiclly have a time limit.

I would love to see the Money in the Bank ladder match return to WrestleMania because having the match at WrestleMania elevates the significance of the match and makes the storyline after the match more unpredictable because the winner can challenge for either the WWE or World Heavyweight titles if WWE really promotes the importance of the match and puts only the top up and coming superstars in the match then it'll be and feel like a truly special WresttleMania XXVIII match.

I am happy with this, the lack of MITB last year showed how incredibly lost the mid card was without this match. MITB can fit 8 to 10 midcarders in the event without having too many matches. WM27 was unfortunate for talents like Ziggler, Morrison, Barrett, and Kingston to get short changed at WM while Bourne, Sheamus, Bryan, and R-Truth were not even on the card. Regardless if these talents would have been in the MITB match or not, having that match alone would probably have had all these guys in the event.

There are a large number of reasons as to why the Money In The Bank Ladder Match should remain it's own PPV attraction as opposed to being a 'Mania deal. I am firmly saying NO to the idea. It does more harm than good in the long run and it degenerates into being the match used to clutter (in lazy manner too) whoever can't fit into a storyline heading into the biggest show of the year.

- Money In The Bank has proven to be a draw in itself. With so many B-level PPV's, placing the match on 'Mania's card takes away from the mystique of the annual MITB PPV or it can outright kill it. With that in mind, it makes way for more PPV's of the caliber of Venegeance or Capitol Punishment. Utter filler.

- At Wrestlemania, the spotlight is on the main matches. MITB is not one of the main matches at Wrestlemania. It's the opening match used to hype the crowd. What makes the winner of that match mean more? Opening Wrestlemania in a match designated purely as a spotfest? Or winning one of the main events of a PPV designated to highlight future stars A.K.A. June's Money In The Bank PPV? MITB is in essence the updated version of the King Of The Ring. The winner is in line for a push. Something that becomes a greater highlight when the match is the central theme of the PPV.

- 2 winners are better than one. Regardless of how much of a joke the brand extension is, with 2 World titles, 2 shows and 2 rosters, it's a positive move to offer 2 guys a push. Last year we got Kane and Miz. Kane cashed in immediately to finally get his reward after so many years of being so loyal while Miz continued to grow until his time came. This year, we had Del Rio and Daniel Bryan. Del Rio's time of glory came and went thanks to MITB and we are now seeing Bryan use his push. The ratio of new guys entering the main event and giving it new life is obviously greater with 2 winners.

- The Midcard of Wrestlemania means more without MITB around. Last year, the likes of Cody Rhodes, The Corre, Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison got built storylines heading into their matches at the event. While their matches for the most part weren't much to talk about, Cody Rhodes stands out from the list. The current reigning Intercontinental Champion would be stripped of the chance to defend the rebranded belt and have a major feud like last year heading to the event because he would most likely be added to MITB to fill it out. Yeah, he might be the potential winner. But what of the title he's worked so hard to build up? And for that matter what about Zack Ryder's U.S. title? Both would end up absorbed into the match out of near necessity. Since Wrestlemania X8 and the brand extension the IC title has only been defended once and the U.S.title twice. None under the same show. MITB only makes that problem worse. The two titles haven't meant as much in a long time and adding MITB to the 'Mania card would strip these two legendary pieces of hardware from being defended at the show yet again.

I'll repeat. MITB SHOULD NOT TAKE PLACE IN WRESTLEMANIA.

- At Wrestlemania, the spotlight is on the main matches. MITB is not one of the main matches at Wrestlemania. It's the opening match used to hype the crowd.

You actually listed what I would consider it's biggest draw at Wrestlemania, as a criticism, while I would have listed it as a strength. The best part of having MITB open up Wrestlemania was that it was instant excitement, perfect to whip the crowd into a frenzy that would last the rest of the night. It gave the fans a reason right away to get really into the PPV. If they are going to not have a MITB match, they need to replace it with something else to accomplish the same goal, a fast paced, action packed way to kick off the biggest night of the year in style. MITB was created to excite the Wrestlemania crowd, not to give someone a chance at the title whenever. That's just a gimmick, not it's purpose.

You want two winners...okay. So you put up a second briefcase on a second cable. You have a red one and a blue one, one for the WWE Title, one for the Heavyweight title. First person up gets to choose which one they pull down, allowing another wrestler to grab the second. Problem solved.

In fact, get rid of the MITB PPV. Bring back the King of the Ring, and make the entire PPV be the tournament, similar to Wrestlemania IV, not just the final two rounds.

There are a large number of reasons as to why the Money In The Bank Ladder Match should remain it's own PPV attraction as opposed to being a 'Mania deal. I am firmly saying NO to the idea. It does more harm than good in the long run and it degenerates into being the match used to clutter (in lazy manner too) whoever can't fit into a storyline heading into the biggest show of the year.

- Money In The Bank has proven to be a draw in itself. With so many B-level PPV's, placing the match on 'Mania's card takes away from the mystique of the annual MITB PPV or it can outright kill it. With that in mind, it makes way for more PPV's of the caliber of Venegeance or Capitol Punishment. Utter filler.

- At Wrestlemania, the spotlight is on the main matches. MITB is not one of the main matches at Wrestlemania. It's the opening match used to hype the crowd. What makes the winner of that match mean more? Opening Wrestlemania in a match designated purely as a spotfest? Or winning one of the main events of a PPV designated to highlight future stars A.K.A. June's Money In The Bank PPV? MITB is in essence the updated version of the King Of The Ring. The winner is in line for a push. Something that becomes a greater highlight when the match is the central theme of the PPV.

- 2 winners are better than one. Regardless of how much of a joke the brand extension is, with 2 World titles, 2 shows and 2 rosters, it's a positive move to offer 2 guys a push. Last year we got Kane and Miz. Kane cashed in immediately to finally get his reward after so many years of being so loyal while Miz continued to grow until his time came. This year, we had Del Rio and Daniel Bryan. Del Rio's time of glory came and went thanks to MITB and we are now seeing Bryan use his push. The ratio of new guys entering the main event and giving it new life is obviously greater with 2 winners.

- The Midcard of Wrestlemania means more without MITB around. Last year, the likes of Cody Rhodes, The Corre, Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison got built storylines heading into their matches at the event. While their matches for the most part weren't much to talk about, Cody Rhodes stands out from the list. The current reigning Intercontinental Champion would be stripped of the chance to defend the rebranded belt and have a major feud like last year heading to the event because he would most likely be added to MITB to fill it out. Yeah, he might be the potential winner. But what of the title he's worked so hard to build up? And for that matter what about Zack Ryder's U.S. title? Both would end up absorbed into the match out of near necessity. Since Wrestlemania X8 and the brand extension the IC title has only been defended once and the U.S.title twice. None under the same show. MITB only makes that problem worse. The two titles haven't meant as much in a long time and adding MITB to the 'Mania card would strip these two legendary pieces of hardware from being defended at the show yet again.

I'll repeat. MITB SHOULD NOT TAKE PLACE IN WRESTLEMANIA.

Killjoy, you make a lot of great points, but there are still other aspects to consider. For instance, though without a Money in the Bank last year we got to see some impressive midcard match-ups, note that they were mostly upper midcard wrestlers as opposed to guys further down on the roster like Zack Ryder. In fact, Daniel Bryan and Sheamus, who were among the more over mid-carders at the time, were still relegated to the preshow and their match cancelled in favor of a lame battle royal.

My main point is that around WrestleMania time, mid-carders sometimes get forgotten. They either get funneled into lame celebrity angles, like what happened to Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison last year, or are entirely neglected as WWE focuses more on utilizing their main eventers. It's sometimes completely derailed mid-card storylines that were developing before the Road to WrestleMania and perhaps cheats those mid-carders out of raising above their station.

I do agree with some of the points regarding the Money in the Bank match in particular, that it would perhaps ruin the selling point for the pay-per-view (which they should definitely keep) and could result in lazy plans for the cash-ins, as you could argue was the case for Jack Swagger. They didn't seem to have a good, long-term plan for him and I remember hearing he was decided as the winner on the very day of WrestleMania 26.

So perhaps a third Money in the Bank match isn't the best way to have a large multi-man match, but I do believe they should have one to give those mid-carders relevance at WrestleMania, when they'd otherwise just be neglected. They don't get more time just at the show, but usually they have qualifying matches on RAW and SmackDown!, as well as promos between the contestants, like when Matt Hardy and Christian argued over who'd win going into WrestleMania 26.

Even if it takes some time away from other talents, they need some sort of mutli-man match so viewers don't forget about developing mid-carders. And no WWE, a preshow battle royal doesn't accomplish that. Maybe if they thought of a new gimmick match, perhaps with its own prize, or maybe something as simple as a multi-man US or Intercontinental Championship match. Say they make five wrestlers relevant to the US Championship scene by the time of WrestleMania, they could then book a 10-minute Championship Scramble, benefiting at least those five wrestlers, making the US Title relevant and probably putting on a damn good match.

I'm really glad to hear MITB is coming back. The Chicago event was unbelievable but WM27 was severely lacking without it. I feel like this years Mania needs more solid mid card matches unlike last years which seemed somewhat thrown together with the sports entertainment aspect. MITB will give someone like Barrett of Rhodes to break that glass celing though I get the feeling Mycintyre is getting the win this year. Something similar to Triple H's sitouation where he had to eat shit for a year following the MSG incident. He's not back on TV for no reason I can tell you that much. A stipulation match is needed for a good Mania and this is shaping up to be a classic.

I like this, quite a bit actually. If this means scrapping the Money In the Bank PPV, then so be it.

Wrestlemania can be a star-making performance for a wrestler. While winning Money in the Bank at it's own PPV has certainly helped more then it's hurt, it's also diluted the value of the briefcase, or rushed the cash-ins. That's what happened with Jack Swagger; They had the MITB PPV coming up, and they wanted to get the briefcase out of the way as soon as possible, ready or not. In this case, the winner will have a full year, if necessary, to be built into a title contender.

From a sheer entertainment standpoint, Money in the Bank has been awesome. But the problem that comes with two cases makes them seem less relevant, and less unpredictable. The Raw winner has to cash in on the Raw champion, and vice versa with Smackdown. If there's one case and one case only in the form of a Wrestlemania match, it brings back the unpredictability of which champion the winner can cash in on.

And then there's that whole star-making performance thing. It worked for Edge, as it vaulted him from an upper-midcard guy to an 11 time World Champion. It worked for RVD in getting him his first title, and did the same for CM Punk. Kennedy got hurt, and Swagger was rushed. But the idea of winning it at Wrestlemania means so much more then it does at an off-brand PPV, as that winner is truly going to be viewed by the audience as a big deal in WWE's eyes. "They gave the case to this guy? They must have big plans for him!"

So while from just a fan standpoint of entertaining matches, Ill miss the MITB PPV. But for the overall betterment of the product in general, this is the right move.

There is a new rumor floating around now that they might make the Money In the Bank match at Wrestlemania include only former world champions. Randy Orton, Jack Swagger, Mark Henry, Alberto Del Rio, Christian, and Kane are all being hinted at as participants in this match. I honestly have to say that this is not a very good idea. The match might sound better on paper, but what effect would it ultimately have on the world title scene of either brand in the end? Next to nothing. The whole point of MITB is to help someone break through into the main event picture. If this match happens then someone like Swagger would have to win it. No other former world champion on the roster comes to mind as someone who would benefit from this match whatsoever.

None of the guys being hinted at as participants need this, other than perhaps Jack Swagger, as I mentioned above. Even in Swagger's case he could still be inserted into a traditional MITB Ladder match rather than this experiment with former world champions only. Sure it's something different, but I personally think they should stick to the traditional format for the match and try to use it to help get someone new into the main event. The end result is what matters in the end, and a former world champion doing a cash-in would change nothing due to most former world champions not needing a cash-in to win another title in believable fashion. Someone new who has never held a world title before does need something like the MITB cash-in to get them there, and getting a great opportunity the traditional way does have a positive result ob the world title scene when booked properly.

There is a new rumor floating around now that they might make the Money In the Bank match at Wrestlemania include only former world champions. Randy Orton, Jack Swagger, Mark Henry, Alberto Del Rio, Christian, and Kane are all being hinted at as participants in this match. I honestly have to say that this is not a very good idea. The match might sound better on paper, but what effect would it ultimately have on the world title scene of either brand in the end? Next to nothing. The whole point of MITB is to help someone break through into the main event picture. If this match happens then someone like Swagger would have to win it. No other former world champion on the roster comes to mind as someone who would benefit from this match whatsoever.

None of the guys being hinted at as participants need this, other than perhaps Jack Swagger, as I mentioned above. Even in Swagger's case he could still be inserted into a traditional MITB Ladder match rather than this experiment with former world champions only. Sure it's something different, but I personally think they should stick to the traditional format for the match and try to use it to help get someone new into the main event. The end result is what matters in the end, and a former world champion doing a cash-in would change nothing due to most former world champions not needing a cash-in to win another title in believable fashion. Someone new who has never held a world title before does need something like the MITB cash-in to get them there, and getting a great opportunity the traditional way does have a positive result ob the world title scene when booked properly.

Well since I want Dolph Ziggler to be the next Mr. Money in the Bank (especially since cocky heels play up the title best) and he's a former World Heavyweight Champion (for about an hour), I'd be okay with this.

With the rumored stipulation being that only former WWE World Champions will participate in the WM XXVIII MITB Ladder match, I love / hate this idea. I hate it cause it leaves out so many other potential SuperStars that should be included, especially with the MITB PPV being removed from the WWE Calendar this year. I’d love the idea if the WWE continued the MITB PPV and only have SuperStars who never won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in the match. The way I would set this up is:

1 MITB match at WrestleMania:
8 – 10 former WWE World Heavyweight Champions

2 MITB matches at Money In The Bank:
8 – 10 Raw SuperStars who have never won the WWE Championship
8 – 10 Smackdown SuperStars who have never won the World Heavyweight Championship

It's a dumb idea because it devalues these already established guys. Can you imagine if Randy Orton won MITB? How ridiculous would that be? The purpose of MITB is to elevate an upper mid carder into the title picture.

Look at the recent winners, Swagger, Del Rio, Miz.... What's next, John Cena with the briefcase?

First off, I'd like to say if this should be merged with another, that's fine, but I considered it different due to today's reports.

www.wrestlezone.com/news/249047-possible-idea-for-money-in-the-bank-match-at-wrestlemania-28

If you've not read this report, read it before you read the rest of this Thread.
It's claims in the report that an idea for Money in the Bank's return to WrestleMania will be that only past World champions can enter for the MITB.

Honestly, I think this is a bad idea. The reason it was moved back to 'Mania was because then the Mid-Card has a chance to shine at 'The Big Time'.
What do you think? I would love to see a mixture of past champions and future champions like Christian and Kofi facing off in the MITB.

If they do the the MITB former world champion match at WM I'm not going to be happy. The whole point of MITB is to put over talent that hasn't had the title before I don't want to see people who have been champion before especially multi champions in the match. I think they should just keep the MITB pay per view because they don't this match this year with so many good feuds and they could fit all these guys on the card easily without this match happening.
The names mentioned in this match are Orton, Kane, Christian, Alberto Del Rio, Rey Mysterio, and Jack Swagger. I think it's even more of a bigger waste if Orton is featured in this match. He is great in the ring and he needs either a one on one match or be inserted into the title picture. One of your biggest stars should not be in MITB. Orton is my biggest concern but I don't believe any of them should be in this match. Rey Mysterio can easily challenge Alberto del rio in a good wm opener. They have history and Alberto took him out so it makes sense to settle it at the biggest stage. When it comes to the other guys Kane vs Jack Swagger vs Zach Ryder for the us title is not a bad idea considering Ryder never got his rematch. Kane can easily be put in this match or they could do Kane vs Ryder. Now personally I rather see Kane in a more high profile match because he is booked as a monster right now and this will do nothing for him but I don't see anyone for him to feud with. The last guy is Christian I really don't know where to put this guy unless they put him in world title picture which would make some sense.
So what do you guys think is WWE wasting their main event talent in this match?

This needs to be on the card. They scrapped the PPV but the idea behind it still stands as a solid point for a storyline. This match brings a great level of excitement to fans they rarely get in this era of wrestling. A match like this keeps those on the card that would otherwise not be present. Alot of the participants have been great wrestlers that get lost in the shuffle come WM time. It just isnt possible to have everyone involved in a big angle leading up to WM due to time constraints and the focus needed for the ME\Title matches. It gives talent time to shine on the biggest PPV of the year that produces some good storylines that can be used throughout the upcoming months.

I would book it like this:

Kofi
R-Truth
Christian
Santino
Dolph Ziggler
The Miz
Randy Orton
ADR

I would choose Ziggler to win this. It makes sense.

If Wade Barrett and Rey Mysterio are ok by WM time I would put them in there definately. I had called Barrett as the winner of this match but the injury threw a wrench in that plan. I could honestly see either Barrett or Dolph winning the breifcase and setting up for a great title match down the line. A heel winning seems to carry further than a face and those 2 are top notch right now.

I'd like to see it as a 10 man match. Yeah, bloaty but it gets an additional 10 guys a pay day and a hell of a lot of exposure. Put the young guns that haven't had a chance and some vets. Mix it up and make a couple of great spots... ala Jeff putting Edge through a ladder...

It's a dumb idea because it devalues these already established guys. Can you imagine if Randy Orton won MITB? How ridiculous would that be? The purpose of MITB is to elevate an upper mid carder into the title picture.

Look at the recent winners, Swagger, Del Rio, Miz.... What's next, John Cena with the briefcase?

Unless they do a heel turn with Orton. If Orton wins MITB and then cashes it in on Punk right after he beats Jericho at WM. Something like that would be shocking.

Usually MITB is meant for a midcarder trying to get to the next level. But it could be used to turn a babyface heel too.

Their is a good chance that whoever wins MITB at WM, they will cash it in that night. Lets say Dolph Ziggler wins MITB. Cashing it in on Punk at WM could be career changer for him and that might be what takes him to the next level.

Having dolph win and then cash in on the same night would be amazing for him. It would also fit into his showoff gimmick and give perhaps one of the largest wrestlemania audiences ever a chance to give him heat. I'm a fan of this. Especially if Jericho does a post match attack like he has before at mania with Michaels.

I don't have much of an interest in seeing the MITB match at this WrestleMania. I get that the idea behind having an MITB is putting 10 guys on the card with one match but I think that can also be accomplished by having a 5 on 5 tag match. It seems like the safer alternative and having three MITB matches in a year takes the fun out of that match. It seems that WWE will go in that direction of a 5 on 5 match with Teddy Long and John Lauraniatis fielding their teams.

I like the Money in the Bank PPV. Usually WWE has weak pay per views in the summer besides Summerslam and I usually wouldn't bother getting a pay per view in July. I will get the Money in the Bank PPV. The Money in the Bank PPV is great it gives you that Royal Rumble feeling. High profile title matches with a great gimmick match (2 rather!)

Wrestlemania doesn't need Money in the Bank. It's a great plus and has saved some so so Wrestlemanias from the past from being not very eventful, however WWE should work hard and bust their asses making sure the feuds that everything is leading up to is great and not rely on this ladder match so much.

How about this match as a part of WRESTLEMANIA? Four briefcases hang above the ring each one hanging a bit out from each corner of the ring. Two corners have briefcases hanging at a level than can be reached by a latter one with an with MIB contract for the Intercontinental title and 1 with a MIB contract for the U.S. title. In the other corners hang cases that are hanging at a length that can only be reached by putting a latter on top of a table. Inside these cases are MIB contracts, 1 for the World title and 1 for the WWE championship. Throwing the chairs into the mix to add to the chaos, with the contestants being 12 men who are all former champions such as….Khali, Kane, Ziggler, Del Rio, Orton, Christian, Big Show, Mark Henry, Kofi,Santino, The Miz, Zach Ryder, and Mick Foley! Too much or one hell of a potential classic match? It could either be run where once you get a briefcase your eliminated from the match or where the contestants can win multiple cases if possible, and stay in the match until the end. The second way seems most logical due to the fact that the highlight will be the World title cases and those would most likely be the first ones to go even though they would be the hardest to reach. With the large amount of guys this could spread all around the arena giving guys room to work in the ring, and would definitely need a few scripted bumps where guys are taken out of the match due to “injury” to cut back on amount of guys in the ring. Or maybe it should just be an 8 or 10 man match?

That was a bit much. Overbooking tends to be the norm when trying to come up with a new match type and you nailed it; don't worry, it's not a bad thing. Coming up with a new match concept and having it get over as huge as the Money in the Bank match did is like catching lightning in a bottle - very hard to do. While I would be open to new match idea to replace the Money in the Bank, this idea seemed too confusing to keep up with so I cannot imagine the time the WWE would have to go through explaining the match's rules and regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back