Damn that Money in the Bank contract!

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
The Eric Bischoff original Money in the Bank match at Wrestlemania 21 was a huge success and a great concept! The winner of the Money in the Bank match at each years Wrestlemania could cash in the MITB contract at ANY time on that worlds champions title reguardless of if the champion has already wrestled that night or whatever.

We saw that happen when the first ever winner of MITB Edge cash in on then WWE champion John Cena when Edge speared Cena twice after Cena competed and won a Elimination Chamber match. But between then to now, the only winner of MITB who named the place & when he would cash in his MITB contract was Rob Van Dam. RVD is the only winner of Money in the Bank to win a world's title a legit way unlike everybody else did or is planning (I'm look'in at the Miz right now).

Let's look at the list of winners shall we...

WM 21 Edge
WM 22 Rob Van Dam
WM 23 Mr. Kennedy/Anderson (but lost the MITB contract to Edge in a match on RAW)

WM 24 CM Punk
WM 25 CM Punk (again making history)
WM 26 Jack Swagger

Now the infamous Money in the Bank match has it's own pay per view, where the legend continues by having the winner of the MITB match cash in on a world champion who is unable to compete. Like Kane cashing in on a tired Rey Mysterio just minutes after Rey won a match defending his world heavyweight championship against Wrestlemania's MITB winner Jack Swagger.

Now how come out of all the winners of Money in the Bank who won world championships. Rob Van Dam is the only guy who did it respectfully by nameing a time, date, and location?

Most of those wrestlers like Edge, CM Punk, Kennedy, and Swagger, cashed in their briefcases out of nowhere because they were heels or on the verge of turning heel. We all know heels nowadays are opportunistic and calculating and somewhat cowardly, well the MITB contract is just a way to maintain their heel roles.

Because it was the best way to promote the new ECW brand...and the fact that he was a face meant that he was a man of his words and he told Cena man to man that he will challenge him at One Night Stand...shows really what kind of a wrestler they are..

But really I think it matters about how they want to book them winning it, can they be bothered booking a match or they think yeh, after he wins, just to down hit your finisher and pin him and hey the MitB contract will have paid off!!

I'd say that it is mainly because One Night Stand 2 needed a good main event and every single old ECW fan marked the fuck out for it and a good number of them were enticed by seeing RVD finally getting his main event push that he deserved for years. In this case the build for the match was bigger than any swerve "wtf he cashed it in when cena was all beaten bloodied, what a bitch!" moment could have been since Edge had done it for the first time a few months before and led to a very lackluster title reign. I'm sure some of the old fans that thought of it as a simple repeat of the first ONS (if any of them existed at all) bought the ppv because of it. The crowd at the event was unbelievably loud and Cena got more heat that night than I think he has gotten at any point in his career, that crowd was not the usual Cena divided crowd. If they have a similar event happen or the MITB winner gets baited into choosing a set date it could happen but the creative team seems hell bent on keeping the unpredictability of the MITB title shot intact.

I think thats the purpose of it, its mostly used as a surprise to get that "holy shit i cant believe that just happened" moment. It wouldn't be shocking and it would just seem like everyday business if it was announced beforehand. RVD did it to pin Cena at ONS '06 because it was an ECW thing and they wanted it to be big. They had to plan it because Cena being there wouldn't make sense otherwise.

The MITB contract has been used not only as a means of elevating wrestlers to the main event, but has also been used to facilitate heel turns and generate heat for said heel. One of the biggest complaints you hear about wrestling these days is the lack of unpredictability. To some degree, the MITB contract is able to provide a shocking and unexpected surprise.

For instance, nobody expected CM Punk to cash in his MITB contract against Jeff Hardy. Punk and Hardy were two of the most over babyfaces in the WWE at the time. People didn't expect it, people were shocked by it, it initiated arguably the best feud of the year and initiated Punk's journey towards being the most over young heel in wrestling last year. Jack Swagger was pretty much doing nothing with his career. He'd languished on Raw, even losing a few matches to Santino Marella. He's traded to Smackdown and, out of nowhere, wins MITB at WrestleMania. Nobody really expected it to happen and it reignited Jack Swagger's career.

The situation with The Miz is going to be somewhat different I think. For the past few weeks, The Miz has given a great tease in cashing in the contract but someone always spoils his plans. Eventually, I think The Miz will cash it in, but will do so in an actual match. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Miz carry the MITB briefcase for the rest of this year, and that's what I hope happens. Due to all the quick cash ins, the MITB has is in danger of becoming rather generic and having The Miz carry it for a long time, milking it and thereby hyping the overall importance of MITB will be a welcome change.

Money in the Bank is a nice opposing force to the Royal Rumble. Royal Rumble is an awesome venue for a big time face to win the big match against all odds and set up a long road to Wrestlemania and win the big one.

Money in the Bank is an opportunity at the right place at the right time, and perfect for that heel to elevate his game big time (i.e. The Miz, Jack Swagger, CM Punk).

When Kennedy/Anderson named his time and place (Wrestlemania the following year), it was a "face move", and I think went a long way towards him becoming an unintentional face because people got excited about the longest road to Wrestlemania ever. Then he screwed it up, but that's another story for another time.

I love MitB, but I hope they keep the number of briefcases down to a minimum. Three in one year was a little crazy.

RVD was the only guy to do it in that way because they were trying to promote ECW, and everything at that time was extreme. RVD cheapily cashing in MITB on a weakend Cena doesn't exactly say EXTREME!

They had to build excitement for ECW. What would that have done for RVD's credibility as a champ? RVD was not a bad WWE champ. Who knows how long it would have been if he could have laid off the drugs.

Anyway, RVD's cash in looks to be the exception, not the future. On one hand, it makes money in the bank briefcases a more shocking occurance. Remember CM Punk's cash ins? Complete surprises. Swagger? Edge both times??..On the other hand it doesnt really successfully make credible champions, but it does bring guys into the title picture, and thats all the WWE asks for.

If you are looking for this to change, you will be waiting for quiet some time.

Money in the Bank is a nice opposing force to the Royal Rumble. Royal Rumble is an awesome venue for a big time face to win the big match against all odds and set up a long road to Wrestlemania and win the big one.

Money in the Bank is an opportunity at the right place at the right time, and perfect for that heel to elevate his game big time (i.e. The Miz, Jack Swagger, CM Punk).

When Kennedy/Anderson named his time and place (Wrestlemania the following year), it was a "face move", and I think went a long way towards him becoming an unintentional face because people got excited about the longest road to Wrestlemania ever. Then he screwed it up, but that's another story for another time.

I love MitB, but I hope they keep the number of briefcases down to a minimum. Three in one year was a little crazy.
No let's talk about that for a minute. Mr. Kennedy/Anderson didn't screw it up on propose, he was injured yet again! Ken Anderson is a injury prone, that's one reson why the WWE cut him losse.

And I pray that the WWE doesn't rule out MITB at Wrestlemania next year! That's where it all started for the Money in the Bank! I think the "E" is falling in love with the MITB concept or just drunk off it's success. But the Wrestlemania MITB contract gives you a chance to choose WHICH WORLD TITLE do you want to win, like Jack Swagger did coming on to Smackdown. While the MITB contracts from the PPV are exclusive to their brands only. So no we couldn't see Kane cash his MITB contract in on Sheamus that night or see the Miz stalk Rey Mysterio.

I'm barely tolerant of ONE MITB match. As I posted in another thread, I'd much rather see someone earn a boost to the main event by winning the mid-card title (US or IC). That way there can be some credentials added to the wrestler. Let's look at the MITB winners:
Edge: former IC champion, used the first case to launch into superheeldom
RVD: Former IC champion, cashed it in the "face" way.
Kennedy: Former US champion, got injured, lost it to Edge
CM Punk: (WW)ECW champion (technically a mid-card title), cashed it in on a KOed Edge for the first, won the IC title after the first reign, and cashed in on Jeff Hardy for the second
Swagger: (WW)ECW champion, cashed it in on a downed Jericho.
Kane: Former WWF champion, IC champion, (WW)ECW champion, cashed it in on Rey.

Now then: Apart from Swagger, if we don't count the ECW title in this discussion, every MITB winner HAS won either the US or IC title (Punk's reign being between cashings) including a current case-holder, The Miz (US).
The MITB match was a great concept but now it's getting stale. We need either a "legit" cashing in of the contract or a scrapping of the concept (I know, neither are likely with the Miz)

I have to agree with most of the posters so far. The MITB has been used to facilitate a heel turn or to turn up the heat on a heel. It's worked great for that reason. Look at Punk's heel turn for instance. He was a babyface who cashed in on Jeff Hardy, quite possibly the biggest face in the company outside of Cena. And he even tried to continue on as a face for a while before the crowd basically forced him into being a heel. Sure, the writing was there to do it anyways, but the crowd really pushed the issue.

My concern now is you have a heel WWE Champ in Sheamus. Miz is a stellar heel on the rise with MITB. What happens if Miz cashes in on Sheamus? Does Miz go face and lose all he's worked so hard to build? Does Sheamus go face and make everyone watching just go "WTF was that?" I can't buy Sheamus as a face, not the way he's been built. Maybe in time, but certainly not now.

And while I could buy Miz as a face, he'd lose a lot of credibility making that turn. He needs to be a face. He's the modern day Rowdy Roddy Piper. Wrestles with a chip on his shoulder, tells you what he thinks on the mic and dares you to prove him wrong. Don't change the Miz....EVER. Hopefully Orton wins the title at SS and Miz can cash in against the newest face so that he can remain his Mizzy Mizzy self.

Bar CM Punk when he cashed in his first MITB contract its been a way to either further a heels status or begin a heel turn for CM Punk (Essentially he's the only exception due to him cashing it in on a heel despite being a face from out of nowhere) cashing it in on the then-WWE Universe favourite Jeff Hardy. Its elevated new stars in the Title scene (Edge, Punk, Van Dam, Swagger) and given veterans one last shot at glory (Kane), and due to recent WZ reports we don't know when Miz is going to pull the trigger due to Vince seeing him as the future for Raw. It keeps whomever holds the Briefcase (Minus Swagger and Kane due to them cashing it in fairly early, Kane cashing it in the quickest time in history) in the spotlight since they either A) Try to cash it in but are unsuccessful at least once (See CM Punk attempting to cash in on Edge last year yet Umaga intervened on Smackdown, as did Truth and Orton intervening on Miz's attempts)

It gave Van Dam some time in the spotlight but him being pulled over, I believe he was caught with pot when driving with Sabu yet I could be wrong, so it didn't tend to last long for him yet it was a means to revive ECW as a brand and also have them portray Van Dam in a positive light; had he cashed in on Cena in the way the others have done it would've been bad since Van Dam would've been the face for the new ECW. Punk's first cash in was a means for 'poetic justice' so to speak, cashing it in on Edge who twice cashed it in at the most inopportune time for the Champion.

So don't damn the MITB contract. One was enough, but to be honest at this point just be glad Swagger and Kane cashed in when they did, although WWE wouldn't be stupid enough to have 3 MITB Briefcase holders at the same time, but I just hope they do what they done this year next year but make it less predictable instead of say hypothetically have McIntyre win the SD one and cash it in on the same night much like Kane did. Only time will tell though and undoubtedly there'll be an official report regarding the match at WM, since the PPV is set to return next year though as much as it pains me to say it I hope they don't bring it back on WM but it really should have stayed as a WM tradition that Jericho coined somewhat five years ago. I'm mildly in two minds about it but like I said only time will tell.

It's a fun concept. There is no doubt about that. When Edge first cashed it in, that was just amazing. Build a lot of heat up for him, and shot him to the main event scheme.

But now, every year, they add more people to it, and they guys from both brands. I liked the first one because it was for one brand only. Helped build the guys up for that show.

I think the money in the bank concept should just stay on Raw. Let Smackdown come up it's own concept match. Or gimmick match. Like Climb of Destiny Match. It one part of the arena, for example. The Stage could have perch to wear you have to grab a trophy. The person who wins, has the trophy, can cash it on Smackdown whenever they want. It could appeal more to the hardcore fans who are in need of a rejoice. Plus, it makes two separate concepts that can help both brands.

We get legit title matcs all year, every single PPV and even some TV tapings.The MITB is a luxury that only happens once a year (or three times now), so having it happen at random is a treat we deserve. You say 1 in 6 cash ins was planned, yet only 1 of 15+ title matchs in a year isn't. Look at the big picture, and realize MITB is ment to be cashed in as a surprise.

What NEEDS to be done more with the case is either keep the case in sight all the time (ex The Miz) or try to make people forget you have it at all (ex Edges first cash in), because otherwise you got people at every single PPV saying "He's gonna cash in tonight!!!"

I don't see anything wrong with cashing in on a tired wrestler who has just had a match.
They earned there right to cash it in, by winning the money in the bank match.
Every champ knows at any time at a moment of weakness the breifcase holder can come out, cash in and take the title.
Who wouldn't take the opportunity? It's not a heel move I don't think. It's what almost anyone in there situation would do.

Well because like someone said earlier most of the guys who cashed it in were heels or nearly heels and are calculative plus oppurtinistic and not to mention the fact its such a big push so its such a quicker way of getting them to the main events rather than make them work their way up the ladder and wrestle a lot more matches. The RVD thing was probably because ECW needed a good main event and that RVD was a face at the time.

Think about it if u had to fight 8 men in a FUCKING LADDER MATCH then win would u set up a time and a place? and if u lose all those bumps and bruises would be 4 nothing and another thing your facing the champ can u really c Jack Swagger beat Jericho 1 on 1 without interference ? Before:HELL NO. Now:Id say maybe.The money in the bank match to me helps build heels we arent going to cheer evan borne if he pins Orton after Orton has been attacked by Nexus but if Miz does it it will make sense.

Most of the posters have hit the nail on the head with the fact that RVD was helping to hype the One Night Stand event. One of the other posters brought up the point that it is interesting what will happen with a heel holding the case and a heel champ. What I'm afraid is that Orton is going to beat Shaemus at Summerslam, and suddenly the Miz comes out and cashes in giving him two titles and once again wasting the current popularity of Orton.

Ok...first of all, yes RVD was the only one to cash it in honourably. But...he was not the only face to cash it in. Recall CM Punk's first MITB win. Edge was taking the WH title off of Raw, leaving it without a champion. But, at the PPV, Edge also pissed off Batista, who was on Raw. Batista kicked his ass and left him in the ring. Punk came out and cashed it in. Even though Punk was a face, everyone was psyched because Edge was an ass and was getting what he deserved. The 2nd time Punk cashed in, he turned heel on Jeff Hardy, but that turn was long overdue. It all matters as to who is champ at the time. If the champ is a heel, it doesn't matter if a face or heel uses it...it will be at the most oppourtune moment. If a face is a champ, only a heel would cash it in like that. A face would want an actual match.

The reason RVD let the fans, and John Cena know that he was going to cash it in ahead of time, is because the WWE wanted to draw PPV buys for One Night Stand, which was the upcoming PPV at the time. They also wanted to have some viewership when they brought back ECW as a TV show. The whole Money In The Bank concept is to give new, young superstars, heel or face, a main event level push. It doesnt really matter that the respective MiTB Briefcase Holders have cashed it in on a helpless opponent because that's what the briefcase is supposed to do in the first place.

We get legit title matcs all year, every single PPV and even some TV tapings.The MITB is a luxury that only happens once a year (or three times now), so having it happen at random is a treat we deserve. You say 1 in 6 cash ins was planned, yet only 1 of 15+ title matchs in a year isn't. Look at the big picture, and realize MITB is ment to be cashed in as a surprise.

What NEEDS to be done more with the case is either keep the case in sight all the time (ex The Miz) or try to make people forget you have it at all (ex Edges first cash in), because otherwise you got people at every single PPV saying "He's gonna cash in tonight!!!"

I understand how you would say, that the surprise factor is now an integral part of the MITB, however, a legit match can build brilliant momentum for a competitor.
King Blitz is right when he said that the foundation of reputation of all past winners have already been laid, and now MITB is the new brass ring in the sky, to finally push them from Mid-level to the Top.
But a (newbie) competitor may only achieve a quick-fire reaction to a run-in cash-in whereas a full-blown match can elevate his image as a top player.

I do hope The Miz cashes it in legit at a Survivor Series or even at WrestleMania.
I think it's a little backward to assume that every heel has to sneak it in, not really!
His persona as a top-heel will only get better if he has a great build-up to his cashing in, and has a stellar main event.

The MITB is given to whoever the WWE feels deserves a push, and its a nice way to let current champions go on vacation (if they are injured) by letting a heel cash it in after a hard fight which the champion just had. Kane should've cashed it in some other time because he can beat Mysterio anytime, although its good that he cashed it in ASAP because he should be champion, he never was for a long time.

Cashing in on a vunerable champion is what Money in the Bank is all about. Now that is not to say that nobody will ever again use that contract like RVD did. But I understand, "Damn that Money in the Bank contract!" It is a champion's doom. There just has to be a way for a champion to escape Mr. MITB with his title. Sheamus has been escaping The Miz since the PPV, but he can't count on others to save hime all the time. Rey Mysterio did the right thing when Kane came to take his title. He tried getting out of the ring, but it didn't work.

I'm totally fine with the way the MITB concept has progressed. It's a popular concept and a staple of the biggest PPV of the year, and it was only natural that it would evolve into its own PPV eventually. It's success remains to be seen with the pay-per-view buys a while away from being know, but it offers a good opportunity to creative to either push a new star or get a title on someone who might not otherwise get it.

Going into the PPV, I had a feeling we'd get 1 face win, and 1 heel win. One would cash it in right away, for the markout moment and to justify having a PPV centered around this concept. The other would hold it for longer, weeks, maybe months, building up himself, the contract and the opportunity before cashing it in.

I think the concept needed a loser to show that WWE can go against the grain once in a while, but considering how things like this work (like Undertaker's win streak), the odds of this are kinda low.

But with the Miz, I think he can build himself up for a few months, make himself a legitimate main eventer, cash it in on Sheamus or Cena or who ever's champ when he does, lose and still look pretty good coming out of the whole deal.

To me, it's the best way to justify having an MITB PPV, if things can turn out a little different once in a while, other than the normal surprise cash in.

I would love to see another RVD type cash in either with Wrestlemania's MITB or the next PPV, if they do one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back