• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Moments That Scared You As A Kid

The Brain

King Of The Ring
This thread is meant for fun and should not include serious moments. For example, I don’t want to read things such as Owen Hart’s fall. I use the word scared for lack of a better term as it might have had a different meaning to us as kids. I’d also like to read about specific moments rather than general wrestlers. Keep in mind that it’s ok to list something that seems ridiculous looking back because as a little kid we just didn’t know any better. Here’s one of my moments. The scare comes in at 4:54.

[YOUTUBE]FZOSf8lyCw0[/YOUTUBE]

A couple months before this took place Earthquake attacked Hogan on the Brother Love show causing him to be taken out on a stretcher. During his time away it was rumored (kayfabe) that Hogan may be forced to retire because of the injuries suffered from the attack. Even though I knew better, in the back of my mind I was really nervous that Hogan was done. It was a relief to see him return on SNME. Everything was going great. Hogan got a huge pop and was looking better than ever. All of a sudden Earthquake, Dino Bravo, and Jimmy Hart stormed the ring and the panic set in. I don’t know if it was how they marched down with a purpose or maybe it was Jesse Ventura telling us Hogan came back too soon and was vulnerable. Maybe the initial attack was still fresh on my mind. I just remember being really worried that if Quake got in the ring he was going to put Hogan out again. It was only about 40 seconds before Tugboat ran in to even the odds but it seemed like a lot longer when I was watching that live. Of course everything turned out ok for the good guys but those 40 seconds put fear in my little heart back then.

What about you guys? What moments scared you as a kid? Don’t be shy. My example is about a basic angle as you can get so anything is acceptable here if it stood out to you.

REMEMBER, NO SPAMMING. SIMPLY SAYING SOMETHING SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF YOU WITHOUT EXPLAINING WHY IS CONSIDERED SPAM.

oh man... good pick... this one takes me back... same with when Warrior got attacked by earthquake.. As a kid it totally freaked me out because i thought they were legit hurt, same with Warrior being "cursed" by Papa Shango... But I think what really scared me was a moment I didn't even see, but rather saw a recap of (this was right as I was starting to watch wrestling), it was Brutus Beefcake getting his forehead ripped open by the boot of Outlaw Ron Bass... man... I couldn't believe how bad that was and we still haven't seen anything as brutal in the WWE

Any angle setting around Kane I could be found in my mom’s lap scared shitless. You can name just about any, if it was before 1999, and the angle involved Kane, chances are I was there, in my mother’s lap due to pure terror. I remember being a WCW mark most of the time during the Monday Night Wars. Occasionally, my parents would allow me to flip to the very adult oriented WWF. I remember watching Raw the night after the Royal Rumble I believe where Kane had just tried to set The Undertaker on fire. The WWF showed highlights and whatnot and I couldn't stand it. How could someone set their own brother on fire? That question popped into my mind every time I played with my own brother. It was a little too much for a six year old to handle. I remember dreaming about it constantly waking up in complete darkness waiting for Kane to appear next to my bed to set me on fire. I couldn’t shake the damn thought of it.

Oddly enough, Kane was arguably my favorite WWF superstar back then because I was so obsessed with his backstory. I was terrified of him, but couldn’t resist him at the same time. The WWE really did a phenomenal job with Kane’s character and coming up with the story of how he came to be. The mask, the build, the look; what wasn’t scary about Kane? The highlight videos of Kane burning Undertaker's casket were probably some of my first memories as a wrestling fan.

I'll go with a WCW moment that scared the shit out of me when I was little. The Dungeon of Doom segments always freaked me out but the one where the Giant exploded through a wall and attacked Hogan scared me the most. I was only around 5 or 6 and the entire segment was messed up but the Giant coming out was the icing on the cake that had me quaking in my velcro shoes.

[YOUTUBE]ruLQDpdQi4A[/YOUTUBE]

Also any of the old Undertaker interviews from the early to mid 90's really freaked me out. Especially the ones where he would be making caskets or in a graveyard. Just the way he talked and having Paul Berarer in the background always scared me.

I thought of another moment. This one is from WCW. I don't remember watching WCW much as a kid. I didn't have cable back then so for the most part I only saw it when flipping through channels when visiting someone who had cable. I remember coming across this show pretty much right when this video starts.

[YOUTUBE]6SmkwGjkOQY&feature=fvwrel[/YOUTUBE]

I had no prior knowledge to any WCW storylines at this time and was just curious to see what was in the box. I admit it scared the shit out of me when Abdullah burst out of that box. I had read about Abduallah a bit in the PWI magazines back then but I had never seen him on tv. I knew his reputation and to finally see him in such an unexpected way was a scary moment.

I have to say I have two:

1. When Hogan and the nWo ran the 18 wheeler into the ambulance with The Rock inside, I cried for the longest time. I remember at that time, The Rock was everything to me! Rock posters, toys, cds, etc. I was about 6. And to see these monsters, especially Hogan, just come into the WWF and brutally try to kill one of my favorite wrestlers was unbearable! I seriously thought he was dead. I remember (and I'll never forget), immediately after that episode of raw went off the air, I bawled like a baby and literally ripped my Hogan WCW action figure to pieces and threw it at my wall! lol

2. When The Undertaker buried Paul Bearer in that concrete crypt. It was very eerie for me. Just the way Paul was saying "save me, save me Undertaker!" was very creepy. Then Undertaker had beaten the Dudleys. Then he goes over to Paul and says "Paul, I have no choice. Rest In Peace!" He pulls the lever and the concrete rises on Paul Bearer. It was just really, reallly scary for me.

a few years ago, maybe 2007 or 2008? jeff hardy did a swanton bomb off of the raw set onto randy orton and jeff had to be taken out on a stretcher. i was a huge hardy fan and i was scared

I didn't start watching WWF full time until September 2000, so other than The Undertaker himself, all of my "scary" moments are from WCW.

I remember being about six-years-old and being terrified of Cactus Jack. It was his long-haired, bearded look, probably the odd way he carried himself, and definitely his music that made him so scary to me. I didn't realize until I listened a few minutes ago that it is almost identical to The Undertaker's music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHS3jWP8eqY&feature=fvst

The only other moments I can think of that scared me all featured Sting. When I thought it was he who attacked Lex Luger and joined the nWo, I was heart-broken. A few months later, when he came out on Nitro in black and white paint and gave his "...the only thing that's for sure about Sting, is nothin's for sure" speech (the last time he spoke for over a year), the fact that I didn't know what to expect from him scared me a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2uTWRLGf7w

In the summer of 1998, when he opened his trenchcoat to reveal a black and white nWo shirt while and hugged Hollywood Hogan, I relived heart-break once again. My dad was quick to say, "He's got a red and black shirt on under that," which calmed my nerves. I was thrilled when he proved my dad right, ripped the Hollywood shirt off and revealed the colors of the Wolfpac.

As always, get over yourselves and enjoy some wrestling.

I was about 6 or 7 when Ox Baker was in Australia and the commentators were talking about his dreaded Heart Punch, and explained how he had legitimately killed a man in the US by punching him in the heart. Of course I had no idea then about the real story, and every time Ox slapped his fist like he was going for the move and the ref had to tell him it was banned was pretty scary as a kid, as all the faces were in Ox's firing line, and I thought they may literally be killed by the Heart Punch.

On a different level, I was scared for an Aussie wrestler Kenny Medlin when it was him and Andre as the last two in a Battle Royal match here. I must have been about 7. Medlin was about the size of Daniel Bryan, and was begging off Andre. Luckily Andre was agreed to split the cash prize with Kenny - Andre instant hero to ths 7 year old.

Ox and Andre remain two of my all time favourites.

Great thread!

I always remember the match between Brock Lesnar and Zach Gowan. Brock totally destroyed him and they had Zach's mom at ringside just begging with Brock to stop. I remember we were on vacation and I was so upset I had to go cry in the bathroom haha people on the internet can bitch about things in WWE seeming stupid or cartoonish, such as Kane making fire come out of the ring, but they forget how huge the child fanbase is. For them, these are their scary moments that they'll be reliving in a bunch of years when then understand how wrestling really works.

I remember being terrified by Sid Justice in early '92 when he was building to his WM8 match with Hogan. His maniacal promos and the way he destroyed jobbers with the help of Dr Harvey Wippleman sent shivers down my 11-year-old spine...

When King Kong Bundy fought Hulk Hogan in a cage and Bundy kept attacking Hogan in his injured, bandage ribs. I remember being a teary eyed toddler and yelling the ref should stop the match!

The only thing that really jumps out at me is from the Jake Roberts/Earthquake feud. (Apperently Earthquake was a pretty scary dude, mentioned multiple times in this thread) I believe Jake was tied up in the ropes with Jimmy Hart or Dino Bravo holding him and Earthquake placed the snake bag in the middle of the ring and Squashed it multiple times..."killing the snake." I remember as a kid thinking thereis no way the snake is really in there, is there? That scared me!

I can recall a few things that really scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. I used to only watch NWA/WCW during my early childhood days, so the first was when I was about 7 years old I saw the Road Warriors beat down Dusty Rhodes and shove his Eye against their spiked shoulder pads! That has always stuck with me I recall being really upset and worried about Dusty. I also remember Ric Flair losing to Terry Funk and Dick Slater. Funk busted him open with his branding iron and Slater tied a plastic bag over his head and you could see the blood filling up the bag! Couple that with the commentator screaming he can't breath for the love of God He can't breath!

The one moment that sticks out to me was when the Undertaker and Paul Bearer locked Warrior in a casket. I was scared speechless. And when they opened the casket and Warrior was unconscious and you saw the lining had been pulled down because of the warriir trying to escape. Shivers

^ I was just about to write about the casket angle with Taker and Warrior. That was crazy for me, and it was too scary for TV at the time.

There were all sorts of "scary" angles back in the day - Warrior vomiting because of Papa Shango stuck out in my mind. I seriously thought if Papa Shango could do that to the Warrior, he could do it to me.

man im surrounded by youngsters on here!! IM going old school on you guys to me i literally found myself crying when i thought hogan was going to sell his belt to the million dollar man!! THen he said Hellllllll NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i was so happy and thrilled!! Hogan back in teh day was my hero the only reason why i watched WWF!! I was around 11 or 12 at the time!!

Something that really creeped me out was when 'taker put stone cold on his symbol. I thought 'taker was gonna try to sacrifice him or something (again).

Mine would be the time Jake Roberts attacked Randy Savage and had him locked in the ropes, and then he pulled out the Cobra! Holey shit I was terrified and after Savage got bit I thought he was legit gonna die. Even with my mom and Grandfather telling me how fake wrestling is, I was like.... but it was a cobra they couldn't fake that, it actually bit him!!!! That had me scared as hell and I thought he would die for sure. Silly me!

I remember Rick Martel blinding Jake Roberts with his perfume really getting to me. I thought he was actually blinded by it! The blindfold match they had lightened me up a little bit, and I eventually came to realize he wasn't actually blind when i saw another match with him later on :p

I used to be absolutely terrified of The Undertaker when he rolled his eyes back. The dark rings under his eyes and everything about the guy really. He played that character perfectly and really did send shivers down my spine.

Even when I was older, the Ministry of Darkness theme music always gave me goosebumps, as 'Taker looked damm scary with his lucifer style beard and hood over his head.

Growing up the incident that scared me the most was the Black Jack Mulligan-Andre The Giant feud. I remember the WWF showing highlights of Mulligan putting the claw on Andre and there being a big giant X on the TV screen because of all the blood Andre was losing because of it. As a kid that was pretty scary and traumatizing especially since it was happening to one of your favorites.

I was 7 when Ricky Steamboat was standing on the ring apron, facing the audience and Randy Savage wrapped the ring ropes around his neck, leaving The Dragon hanging by the throat with his feet dangling in the air.

I was scared to death; I didn't yet understand the technique of using your own hands on the ropes to relieve the pressure on your neck.....my 5-year-old brother and I thought Steamboat was legitimately strangling to death.

My father was trying to explain it to us, but we were scared shitless and running around the room.

One of the great moments of my depraved childhood. :blush:

I'm going to have to go with the Cobra bitting Randy Savage. I was a kid, I didnt know they could be defanged.
Another one would be when Brian Pillman pulled the gun out on Steve Austin, just the look in Pillmans eyes said it all, like "there are going to be some dead motherfuckin wrestlers up in here tonight".

Being a life long fan of wrestling for almost 28 years and seeing some odd and scary shit in the industry the one that sticks out to me is the break up of The Rockers everyone thought they made up but then the super kick from Micheals to Janetty no one saw it coming, but to top it all off when Shawn threw Marty in to The Barber Shop plate glass window it scared the hell right out of me because they were one of my favorite tag teams besides The Hart Foundation,and when Shawn looked at the camera and said ''is there a problem with The Rockers I don't think so'' and ripped the WWF Magazine and went and started kicking Marty again I started crying it was just so shocking and even now watching on you tube it still amazes me that they did this angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back