MMA News and Tidbits

Last night's fights on Challengers were exciting. David Douglas was very impressive. Douglas is a massive LW. He came out blazing, knocking down Gonzalez right away, finished up with some GnP until he took his back and ended it with a RNC all in a little over a minute. Ryan Couture looked pretty good. His stand up needs some work, but that was only his second fight. If he keeps at a nice pace and not rush into anything he will do fine. The Beerbohm/Healy fight was a grapple-fest, but a very entertaining one. Usually those things can be boring, but those two worked their asses off for three rounds. Beernohm showed some heart hanging on through quite a few sub attempts in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch down the line with these two.

Dana White spouted off his famous line with George Sotiropoulos, "If he wins, he's in line for a title shot". Sot is definitely deserving as he has been real impressive over the past few years winning 8 in a row, 7 while in the UFC. UFC has to be loving the depth they have for title contenders right now in the Lightweight division. With Pettis, Sot., Jim Miller, (self appointed) Guillard, hell even Clay Guida is making a case for himself, especially if he beats Pettis at the TUF 13 Finale. There is no doubt that this is their strongest division, even without the WEC merge.

So Phil Davis is now becoming the Wanderlei Silva of the Light Heavyweight division. He has a new opponent yet again. This time it's Lil' Nog. Tito Ortiz had to pull out of their fight because he had to get stitches for a cut. The fight happens at UFC Fight Night 24 at the end of March. It still puts Nog against a very good wrestler, so unless he can manage to stop Davis' takedowns he is going to be in a long tough fight, which will be hard because Davis is one powerful guy. If it stays standing, Nog will put him to the test. A win versus Nogueria will definitely put Davis way up the ladder.

This will test Lil Nog's takedown defense or what there of, this is also a big test for Davis progression up the Light Heavyweight ladder. Is he a prodigy or is he the next gate keeper. Davis can dominate Nog if he gets the fight to the ground, if Nog can sprawl/defend or stand up he can certainly test Davis' chin.

Nog has a good fundamental stance for boxing with great sweeping hooks. His ability to work off his back is another thing that Phil will have to look out for.

Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz went back and forth at each other today on their personal Twitter accounts:

Forrest Griffin tweets: "I am the new tito, bitch about injuries after everyfight win or lose, hold guys down a much as possible, never finish a fight.checkallboxs"

Tito Ortiz tweets: "hey go f*ck yourself! run forest run like a bitch! never defended a world title!, been KTFO!, runs out the cage like a bitch! Check all the above!"

Could a third fight between the two be on the horizon or are these two former champions becoming irrelevant in the 205lb mix?

Does it become sad that the only way you can get a mention is to either withdraw from another fight or to beef with someone on Twitter. Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin are just showing that age is only a number because get someone behind a keyboard and they can regress.

Lil' Nog vs. Phil Davis is a VERY intriguing match-up. Phil Davis right now is 2nd behind Jon Jones in the Light Heavyweight potential department, and this will undoubtedly be his toughest fight to date. Lil' Nog should have the boxing and BJJ advantage, while of course Phil Davis is a relentless wrestler. Is his sub-defense good enough to go 3 rounds with Lil' Nog, though? And shit... it's not even a guarantee he'll be able to take Lil' Nog down, since Nog does have pretty damn good takedown defense. Going to be a great fight.

As far as Tito... looks like he wants Forrest/Tito 3. Yawn. Hopefully the UFC will come up with something better for both guys.

Lil' Nog vs. Phil Davis is a VERY intriguing match-up. Phil Davis right now is 2nd behind Jon Jones in the Light Heavyweight potential department, and this will undoubtedly be his toughest fight to date. Lil' Nog should have the boxing and BJJ advantage, while of course Phil Davis is a relentless wrestler. Is his sub-defense good enough to go 3 rounds with Lil' Nog, though? And shit... it's not even a guarantee he'll be able to take Lil' Nog down, since Nog does have pretty damn good takedown defense. Going to be a great fight.

The only thing that does worry me about Lil Nog, is the scarring that he has around the eyes from the years of abuse in Pride. If Davis can employ his ground and pound we might see a doctors stoppage. I also believe that Davis is also still an unknown quality because he still hasn't peaked yet.

As far as Tito... looks like he wants Forrest/Tito 3. Yawn. Hopefully the UFC will come up with something better for both guys.

I get that his name can still draw OK (not anywhere near his peak in 02-06) but he surely would cause more problems than he is worth. I get he is a former champion and all but he seems more worried about being forgotten that he is willing to openly talk shit. I get it wasn't all him but what Forrest opened up with was not enough to warrant that type of unprofessionalism from a grizzled businessman like Ortiz.

I actually think Phil Davis can KO Lil' Nog. No disrespect to Nog but he has a bit of a suspect chin at times and Davis has power in his hands. If he works his stand up enough going into this fight then I could definitely see him beating Nog at his own game, much like Sokodjou did. That said, Davis's best bet at winning the fight is by using his wrestling and using his ground n' pound.

As for the Tito/Forrest shit. Not really all that interested in a third fight right now. Forrest is on a two fight win streak and he should not take a step back and fight Tito. He needs to take a fight with another contender so he make his claim for a title shot. A fight with the winner of Rampage/Hamill would be ideal, but is probably unlucky. I don't really get what crawled up Forrest's ass to start a Twitter war with Ortiz but that shit came out of left field. Forrest shouldn't be taking pot shots at a guy he has no business fighting if he seriously wants to make a run at the belt.

Tito/Forrest 3 is quite possibly the least intriguing matchup I can possibly think of in MMA. Why in the hell would you have them fight for a third time? Griffen is a title contender right now in my opinion, and Tito is not to say the least. Have Tito fight Jason Brillz, and Forrest fight the loser of Rampage/Silva. Please Dana don't have these two fight again.

On a side note I heard that Tito needed 32 stitches. Must have been a sick head butt.

Shortest Average Fight Time:
Drew McFederies-2:20
James Irvin-2:53
Shane Carwin-2:54

Longest Average Fight Time:
Frank Edgar-16:14
Sean Sherk-15:35
Heath Herring-15:00

Significant Strikes Landed:
GSP-892
Bj Penn-734
Rich Franklin-722

Significant Strike Accuracy:
Anderson Silva-68.3%
Chieck Kongo-61.3%
Cain Velasquez-60.9%

Significant Strike Defense:
Ryan Bader-76.1%
Yushin Okami-74.2%
Frank Edgar-73.8%

Total Strikes Landed:
GSP-1924
Jon Fitch-1742
Chris Leben 1477

Strikes Landed per Minute:
JDS-7.2
Cain Velasquez-7.11
Shane Carwin-6.48

Strikes Absored per Minute:
Pete Spratt-0.89
GSP-0.99
Ivan Salaverry-1.01

Knockdowns Landed:
Chuck Liddell-14
Anderson Silva-13
Rich Franklin-10

Takedowns Landed:
GSP-66
Karo Parysian-53
Gleison Tibau-52

Takedown Accuracy:
GSP-77.7
John Howard-71.4
Nate Marquardt-70.6

Takedown Defense:
Cro Cop-90.0%
Andrei Arlovski-89.5%
GSP-86.4%

Here are some statistics that have been researched from UFC 28 to Feb 2011. You only have to look at the percentages to see how Georges St Pierre is number 1 pound for pound. Only afew years ago that Silva was dominating the stats.

Team Quest has seen better days. The Portland, Oregon chapter of the fight team ended 2010 with a string of disasters. After blowing his title fight with Anderson Silva in the closing moments of their fight at UFC 17, Chael Sonnen pissed hot and—after telling the CSAC and all of planet Earth about his insufficient gonads—was suspended for 6 months. He followed that little number up by pleading guilty to a money laundering scheme which prompted the UFC to freeze his contract. For his part, Lindland closed out the year with a quick visit to the spirit world for the second time in his last three fights. Now more bad news is on the horizon as “The Law” could be facing a legal battle with Team Quest teammate Dan Henderson.

The dispute centers on ownership and rights to the Team Quest name. Henderson was at one point the sole owner of the fight club, but later sold a minority share in the company to Lindland. Henderson operates his branch of the franchise out of Temecula, California, with four other locations calling California and Oregon home. Money is no doubt at the heart of this battle. While Hendo is known to be soft-spoken, his counterparts in Oregon are no strangers to speaking their mind. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in and out of the courtroom.

I'm not too sure how much of an update this is.

Elsewhere in today’s news items we look at Fedor’s weekend loss as being the end of an era and while that earned world attention on Saturday night, down in Oregon another era was ending at the same time, though with less attention.

Sources say the Dan Henderson and Matt Lindland are set to do battle in a courtroom over the rights to the name Team Quest, which for years has been the banner under which they fought. Team Quest is also home to Chael Sonnen and was once the home of Randy Couture as well.

Why Henderson and Lindland have fallen out is unclear but presumably money is at the root of it. Henderson was the original owner of Team Quest but Lindland invested in the company and owns a percentage of it.

Lindland owns the Team Quest facility in Oregon where he and Chael Sonnen train, while Henderson owns the ‘HQ’ located in Temecula, California. There are two other satellite branches of Team Quest in the US, one of which is owned by Thierry Sokoudjou.

The fall-out is another blow for the team, which has had its share of troubles recently.

Last year Ed Herman left Team Quest. He had been based at the Oregon facility and said he wasn’t happy with the level of training he was getting. He also had clashes with Lindland, who responded to Herman’s comments by suggesting the departing fighter was perhaps jealous of the attention Chael Sonnen had been getting.

Krzystoff Soszynski also departed Team Quest in 2010 but appears to have left on better terms. He was based at the Temecula facility Dan Henderson runs but as the only light-heavyweight on the mat he said he needed to find bigger sparring partners.

I really don't know the whole story as it is currently playing out and chances are won't know the whole truth until the court cases are over. This story is painting Lindland as the bad guy, but I'm not going to throw him under the bus until the facts are completely out.

@KeyboardWarrior

I'm not going to lie. Those statistics prove absolutely nothing. 3 of them GSP are in, all have to do with takedowns and wrestling, which Anderson obviously does not use on offense. The takedown defense doesn't matter either because the only person to really get him down was Chael Sonnen. The other times he's been destroying or dancing. GSP has landed the most significant strikes, and most strikes all together. Let me ask you, how many fights has he finished with those in the past 3 years? Anderson has the highest accuracy, and guess what, they all hurt, and normally finishes. Sure he had two bad fights with Maia, Cote and Leites, but they didn't belong in there in the first place. The significant strikes absorbed is dumb too. How many times has Anderson been hit? Other then the Chael fight, he's been almost untouchable. You could argue GSP is the best pound for pound, but using those stats to try and prove it is bogus.

Grudge Training Center product Eliot Marshall will likely return to the Octagon against Luis “Banha” Cane at UFC 128. Cane was left without an opponent for the event when Karlos Vemola withdrew from their bout with a mouth infection earlier this week.

Sherdog.com has confirmed the 205-pound matchup with a source close to the bout; Tatame.com originally reported the news on Wednesday morning. Bout agreements have reportedly been distributed, though the fight has not yet been finalized.

UFC 128, which will be headlined by a light heavyweight title clash between champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and challenger Jon Jones, will go down March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

A cast member of “The Ultimate Fighter 8,” Marshall was eliminated from the show by powerful wrestler and eventual season winner Ryan Bader. Following his stint on “TUF,” Marshall earned three consecutive wins inside the Octagon, besting Jules Bruchez, Vinny Magalhaes and Jason Brilz before dropping a split nod to former International Fight League 205-pound champ Vladimir Matyushenko. Following the defeat, Marshall was cut from the promotion’s highly-competitive light heavyweight ranks. Since losing his spot in the UFC, “The Fire” has earned three straight wins, most recently submitting Chris McNally in December.

Cane looks to rebound from consecutive losses for the first time in his five-year pro career. After being disqualified in his 2007 UFC debut against James Irvin, the Brazilian rattled off three straight wins, knocking off Jason Lambert, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and former WEC light heavyweight champion Steve Cantwell. Recently, however, Cane has found himself on the wrong end of two knockouts, as he fell to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Cyrille Diabate at UFC 106 and UFC 114, respectively.

HELL TO THE FUCKING YES!!!!! I love Eliot Marshall and think he has a ton of potential. I was really pissed off when he got cut with only one UFC loss on his record. It was really a poor move by the UFC when they released him because of a split decision loss, but now they get a chance to redeem that poor decision by bringing him back. Luiz Cane is a perfect match up for him as well. That fight should be a real war that could go either way. Both guys could easily KO the other, so it should be a lot of fun to watch. Now we just need to get Gerald Harris back in the UFC.

. Now we just need to get Gerald Harris back in the UFC.

I disagree. Sure he only had one loss before he was cut, but it was painfully obvious that he needs to grow as a fighter before he comes back to the UFC. He had to have known he was losing the fight, and did absolutely nothing when he should have been going for broke. He never really threw anything significant the entire fight. It was terrible. He was semi impressive in his two previous fights, but that holds no ground when you fight like he did against Falcao. We also do not know how he was behind the scenes. Maybe he was an arrogant, cocky prick with a severe attitude like Todd Duffee. We just don't know. He has two fights scheduled, and maybe he'll earn his way back.

I disagree. Sure he only had one loss before he was cut, but it was painfully obvious that he needs to grow as a fighter before he comes back to the UFC. He had to have known he was losing the fight, and did absolutely nothing when he should have been going for broke. He never really threw anything significant the entire fight. It was terrible. He was semi impressive in his two previous fights, but that holds no ground when you fight like he did against Falcao. We also do not know how he was behind the scenes. Maybe he was an arrogant, cocky prick with a severe attitude like Todd Duffee. We just don't know. He has two fights scheduled, and maybe he'll earn his way back.

You're right, we don't know what his attitude was behind the scenes. However, one loss, no matter how bad, does not deserve to get cut. Especially when he was becoming a popular fighter who was on a 10 fight win streak, 3 of which were in the UFC. He has a ton of potential and has a growing fan base that is growing. Many fighters have done their growing in the UFC and I don't see why Harris couldn't do the same. And lets not forget that the other half of the Falcao story is that Falcao was moving back and not engaging at all in the third. Granted, Harris should have pursued the KO a lot more then he did, but it's hard when the other guys is one step away from running from you. But, when you're right you are right. If Harris can pick up wins in those two fights he has scheduled then maybe he will be brought back. I wasn't saying I wanted Harris back right this instant, just sooner rather then later.

Just on the Forest Griffin antics seriously this guy becomes unimportant more and more as time goes by. Hate me i don't care Forest isn't as good as he is made out to be. He is only loved because of the fight he had Stephan Bonnar. I really despise Forest and this is a grab at unwanted attention with Tito another person who is becoming just an afterthought. A match between these two please don't make it happen.

@KeyboardWarrior

I'm not going to lie. Those statistics prove absolutely nothing. 3 of them GSP are in, all have to do with takedowns and wrestling, which Anderson obviously does not use on offense. The takedown defense doesn't matter either because the only person to really get him down was Chael Sonnen. The other times he's been destroying or dancing. GSP has landed the most significant strikes, and most strikes all together. Let me ask you, how many fights has he finished with those in the past 3 years? Anderson has the highest accuracy, and guess what, they all hurt, and normally finishes. Sure he had two bad fights with Maia, Cote and Leites, but they didn't belong in there in the first place. The significant strikes absorbed is dumb too. How many times has Anderson been hit? Other then the Chael fight, he's been almost untouchable. You could argue GSP is the best pound for pound, but using those stats to try and prove it is bogus.

Okay, I'm a bit confused here. They ONLY person to get him down was Chael Sonnen? I'm pretty sure Hendo and Lutter both took him down. Also, you keep saying "other than the Chael fight" as if it's irrelevant to the P4P argument.

That couldn't be further from the truth. The Chael fight, coupled with Lutter and Henderson's ability to use some ground and pound on Anderson is precisely WHY GSP is the better P4P king. You cannot dismiss it because you disagree with the stats.

Roll some of the ideas around in your head. Anderson has looked completely vulnerable on the ground and it's been long said, by fans and analysts alike, that the key to beating Anderson Silva is taking him down and pounding on him. It's pretty much a blue print for how to beat Anderson.

I sort of think of it as that final boss in video games that we used to play on hard; we have the blue print, the patterns are there, you just have to be able to do it. Anderson can pretty much be dominated on the ground. It's not secret that Chael Sonnen has NEVER learned how to defend against the triangle choke. If Chael had decided not to be greedy and go for the spectacular GnP finish, he would have walked out of there with the belt in, probably, the most lopsided beating a champion has received at the hands of a challenger. The post-fight suspension would have stripped him of the belt, but that's neither here nor there.

You cannot make this argument for GSP. He's fought top wrestlers, Fitch, Koscheck, Hughes, and Sherk. He's fought elite strikers, Penn (before you even say that Penn isn't an elite striker, he has some of the best boxing in MMA. For God's sake, Diego landed 8 fucking shots on him), Hardy, and Alves. He's fought BJJ experts like Serra, Fitch, and Penn.

Your argument is based on the fact that he hasn't "finished" them; what difference does that make? He, literally, picked apart some of the best strikers, wrestlers, and BJJ players in MMA and your complaint is that he hasn't knocked them out? I hate to break it to you, but he turned Fitches face in to hamburger meat without hardly taking a shot. He did the same thing to Josh Koscheck. GSP has more "finishes" than he does decisions.

Here comes the "he hasn't lately" argument. You're right, and Georges will tell you that he's also not trying to "finish" people. He's fighting safe and smart. Which is WAY more than anyone can say about Anderson Silva. The simple fact that he has gone over 2 hours in the octagon in his last FIVE fights without absorbing any real punishment or damage against a variety of opponents is absolutely absurd. That's, statistically, WAY more impressive than Anderson's fights.

I'll give you a pass on this statement because I know what you meant, but I'm going to expound upon it.

Sure he had two bad fights with Maia, Cote and Leites, but they didn't belong in there in the first place.

You're just making a stronger case for GSP and a weaker case for Anderson. Anderson is fighting a bunch of opponents in, arguably, the weakest division in MMA. Most of the people that he's been "untouchable" against have been complete jokes.

You cannot say this about GSP. Fitch, Koscheck, Penn, Hughes, and Alves were all "worthy" opponents who belonged in a title fight. About the only questionable name thrown in there lately is Hardy. Fitch and Koscheck are easily the numbers 2 and 2a Welterweight fighters in the world. They won't fight each other so who knows which one is actually better, but I'd put my money on Koscheck because he seems to have a more complete skillset. Alves can beat everyone in the WW division not named Fitch or GSP. Penn had previously been the Welterweight champion and earned a rematch at GSP by virtue of, at the time, being an untouchable champion himself. Hughes is just a legend and GSP beat him in his prime (Twice).

There's absolutely nobody on Anderson's list of UFC wins that compares to the level of competition that GSP has fought. Before you bring up Henderson, please keep in mind that all of Henderson's accomplishments were earlier on in his career in Pride or back at UFC 17. Henderson lost both of his Pride titles, ironically enough, to people that would have beaten him in Pride anyhow AND came from Pride.

Rich Franklin is good, but let's be real, Franklin was champion of the MW division by virtue of the fact that he, literally, fought Loiseau and Quarry before dropping the belt to Anderson. The only TOUGH fight Franklin had was against Tanner. Franklin has been finished by just about every big name opponent he's faced that's not 37+ and past their prime.

Higher accuracy does not necessarily mean anything. If I throw one punch and knock you out in one fight and in the next fight throw two punches, connect with only one, but it knocks you out, the result is still the same. I'm only 50% as accurate from Fight A to Fight B, however. All your statistic proved was exactly what you claimed, Anderson tries to finish fights and toys with people. GSP fights to be safe and absorb NO damage.

The point being here is that you're trying to twist statistics in to Andersons favor when they mean just as little. The real litmus test is the quality of opponents faced by both men. GSP has clearly walked out of his fights with less damage than Anderson and has looked much more unbeatable in the process.

You cannot say this about GSP. Fitch, Koscheck, Penn, Hughes, and Alves were all "worthy" opponents who belonged in a title fight. About the only questionable name thrown in there lately is Hardy. Fitch and Koscheck are easily the numbers 2 and 2a Welterweight fighters in the world. They won't fight each other so who knows which one is actually better, but I'd put my money on Koscheck because he seems to have a more complete skillset. Alves can beat everyone in the WW division not named Fitch or GSP. Penn had previously been the Welterweight champion and earned a rematch at GSP by virtue of, at the time, being an untouchable champion himself. Hughes is just a legend and GSP beat him in his prime (Twice).

Koscheck is just as questionable as Hardy. Neither guy beat a ranked opponent to gain the title shot. I can't remember for sure where Daley was ranked before the Koscheck fight, if he was in the top 10, then he had to be at like 10, he was on a 3-2 stretch before he came into the UFC. Not beating any credible opponents before his UFC during that 3-2 stretch.

Going back to the Yoshida KO win, Kos was put out by Thiago irregardless if Kos claimed the fight was stopped early, he was clearly out for a brief second. He went through Trigg who was last relevant when? Then the shenanigans that went on in the Johnson fight. He did beat Daley handedly, but none of those beating those three opponents shouldn't warrant a title shot.

I see the reason why Hardy and Kos got their title shots, is for the whole heel thing both of them portray. They both were starting nice little streaks, but if Hardy is just as much as questionable as Kos, even though Kos is a better fighter, they are both on the same page of getting their title shots.

One more thing How can Kos and Fitch be the number 2 and 2a WW's in the world, when you say yourself that Alves can beat anyone not named Fitch or GSP, when in fact Alves beat Kos? Current rankings has Kos at 5 and Alves at 3.

Koscheck is just as questionable as Hardy. Neither guy beat a ranked opponent to gain the title shot. I can't remember for sure where Daley was ranked before the Koscheck fight, if he was in the top 10, then he had to be at like 10, he was on a 3-2 stretch before he came into the UFC. Not beating any credible opponents before his UFC during that 3-2 stretch.

Going back to the Yoshida KO win, Kos was put out by Thiago irregardless if Kos claimed the fight was stopped early, he was clearly out for a brief second. He went through Trigg who was last relevant when? Then the shenanigans that went on in the Johnson fight. He did beat Daley handedly, but none of those beating those three opponents shouldn't warrant a title shot.

I see the reason why Hardy and Kos got their title shots, is for the whole heel thing both of them portray. They both were starting nice little streaks, but if Hardy is just as much as questionable as Kos, even though Kos is a better fighter, they are both on the same page of getting their title shots.

One more thing How can Kos and Fitch be the number 2 and 2a WW's in the world, when you say yourself that Alves can beat anyone not named Fitch or GSP, when in fact Alves beat Kos? Current rankings has Kos at 5 and Alves at 3.

I realize that Alves beat Koscheck. Alves is an absolute stud himself. Koscheck has the wrestling and complete game to beat anyone in the Welterweight division except GSP. The reason that I mentioned that Koscheck was a 2a is because Koscheck, stupidly, wanted to prove he could knock Thiago Alves out. I truly believe that, if they fought again, Koscheck would just wrestle Alves down and Fitch his way to a decision.

It wasn't Koscheck's abilities that prevented him from being Alves, it was his ego.

I will concede that MAYBE Koscheck didn't belong in there, but that, in no way shape or form, makes Anderson's opponents better. Even if you remove Koscheck from the list of people he's fought, GSP's resume is still WAY better than the hacks that Anderson has faced. 3 of Anderson's title defenses came against people who aren't even in the UFC any longer. The only people GSP has beaten in the UFC that aren't in there any longer are Trigg (I think), Hieron, and Mayhem.

Even then, Mayhem is a top contender in StrikeForce and I believe could be a contender in the UFC if he ever left. I certainly think Mayhem beat Shields, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here.

For the record, Daley did beat Hazlett, who was highly ranked at that time, and Kampmann who's still highly ranked. Daley is a one trick pony, so I won't argue for him too much beyond that.

I love Thiago Alves, but I don't think he'll ever be champion unless he solidifies a ground game that makes him a dangerous threat on the feet and on the ground.

I wasn't disagreeing with the Silva/GSP talk you had going, just that Kos was on the same page as Hardy on getting their title shots.

Kos's striking isn't very good, he has that powerful hook that can KO someone, but that's about it. Other than that he striking is very average. I agree if him and Alves fought again he would just blanket him with his superior wrestling, anyone who has a wrestling background and fought Alves would be stupid not two, after watching his two fights against GSP and Fitch.

Daley is crap, he has that KO power but thats it. He was exposed in his last few fights. Kos took him down willingly and beat him. Masvidal was doing the same, expect he was stupid for not sticking with it, even then one can argue that Daley lost the fight. Given the resurgence of Kampmann, I think Kamp would win a rematch against Daley. The guy has looked extremely good since the Daley loss. We're definitely on the same page with him. Hopefully Diaz gets the Daley fight soon, so he can beat the shit out of him, before subbing him.

I also like Alves, your're definitely right tho, he will not be champion ever unless he solidifies his ground game.

MMAFighting.com has reported that Brian Stann will now be fighting Jorge Santiago at UFC 130, Wandy says he wont be ready for the fight, so they found a quick replacement.

MMAFighting.com has reported that Brian Stann will now be fighting Jorge Santiago at UFC 130, Wandy says he wont be ready for the fight, so they found a quick replacement.

This was already mentioned and discussed like two pages ago.

Now that it is 100% confirmed since the Santiago deal is official, it still will be a good fight for Stann. We can expect a stand up war out of these two. I'm still unsure who will win, but I think I'm leaning more towards Stann in this one, given that Jorge has lost 5 of his 8 losses by TKO/KO.

I wasn't disagreeing with the Silva/GSP talk you had going, just that Kos was on the same page as Hardy on getting their title shots.

Kos's striking isn't very good, he has that powerful hook that can KO someone, but that's about it. Other than that he striking is very average. I agree if him and Alves fought again he would just blanket him with his superior wrestling, anyone who has a wrestling background and fought Alves would be stupid not two, after watching his two fights against GSP and Fitch.

Daley is crap, he has that KO power but thats it. He was exposed in his last few fights. Kos took him down willingly and beat him. Masvidal was doing the same, expect he was stupid for not sticking with it, even then one can argue that Daley lost the fight. Given the resurgence of Kampmann, I think Kamp would win a rematch against Daley. The guy has looked extremely good since the Daley loss. We're definitely on the same page with him. Hopefully Diaz gets the Daley fight soon, so he can beat the shit out of him, before subbing him.

I also like Alves, your're definitely right tho, he will not be champion ever unless he solidifies his ground game.

Looking back on Koscheck, I'd have to say you were right. Those TUF coaches meeting at the end is always makes me forget that they might not have been the most deserving for a title shot. You get so wrapped in TUF that you forget their body of work before being a coach.

I'd rep you, but I have to spread the love. (That's what I get for having a huge absence)

This was already mentioned and discussed like two pages ago.

Now that it is 100% confirmed since the Santiago deal is official, it still will be a good fight for Stann. We can expect a stand up war out of these two. I'm still unsure who will win, but I think I'm leaning more towards Stann in this one, given that Jorge has lost 5 of his 8 losses by TKO/KO.

I'm 100% confident in Stann. He will beat the brakes off of Santiago. Stann is a tough son of a bitch. The simple fact that the man was hunkered down in hostile territory and saved the lives of him and his troops and, thusly, was awarded the Silver Star, gives that man an edge going in to just about every fight. (I don't think it gets much worse than bullets flying at you).

Not to mention, Stann has VASTLY improved his MMA game. I've always been and will always be a huge Stann fan. As you mentioned, Dave, Santiago is susceptible to the power shot and Stann hits like a brick shithouse.

K.J. Noons will reportedly return to action on the April 9 Strikeforce card against an opponent to-be-determined. A Monday report from MMAWeekly.com cites the onetime EliteXC lightweight titleholder as saying that he intends to return to the 155-pound class in his next outing.

The 28-year-old Hawaiian has been sidelined since his October Strikeforce welterweight title bout with reigning champion Nick Diaz. Noons suffered a broken jaw and left hand in the hard-fought, five-round loss, a rematch of the pair’s November 2007 meeting which Noons won via doctor stoppage.

Noons, who has also boxed professionally, holds an MMA record of 10-3 and has been knocked out only once in his career, by Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett in 2007. Following the loss to Bennett, “King Karl” rattled off six wins in a row -- including stoppages of Diaz, Jorge Gurgel and Yves Edwards -- before running into Diaz for the second time.

Though the April 9 card was originally meant to house the remaining two quarterfinals of Strikeforce’s heavyweight grand prix, it is now rumored that those matchups will be held on June 18 in Dallas. As reported by Sherdog.com last week, a lightweight title bout between champion Gilbert Melendez and challenger Tatsuya Kawajiri will likely fill one of the show’s top slots. Diaz is also expected to defend his welterweight strap, possibly against British slugger Paul Daley, while former light heavyweight champ Gegard Mousasi is rumored to meet grappling ace Roger Gracie.

Great news for Strikeforce. Noons is a tremendous fighter who always make for an entertaining fight. Depending on who he fights and if he can win a title shot won't be to far off for him. He will make for an interesting match up for either Kawajiri or Melendez and can take both guys. His great takedown defense mixed with his tremendous boxing makes him a very dangerous opponent. I can't wait to see him finally return to action.

The Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix's second event will be delayed until early summer in order to capitalize properly on the success of its first event.

So says Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who ended weeks of speculation about the fate of a second tournament quarterfinal event originally targeted for April 9.

Coker stated the April 9 event instead features two title fights: welterweight champ Nick Diaz (24-7 MMA, 5-0 SF) defends his title against Paul Daley (27-9-2 MMA, 2-0 SF), and lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez (18-2 MMA, 8-1 SF) defends his belt against Tatsuya Kawajiri (27-6-2 MMA, 0-0 SF).

"The overwhelming success in New Jersey set the bar high," Coker today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in a prepared statement. "With a record pre-sale for Strikeforce tickets and a record viewership on Showtime, we've now given ourselves the proper amount of time to promote in one of the country's biggest markets."

That market is Dallas, where Strikeforce plans to hold the second quarterfinal event on June 18 at American Airlines Center. The event features two tournament bouts: Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers. Overeem's Strikeforce heavyweight belt will not be on the line.

A venue for the April 9 event has not been determined, a Strikeforce official today told MMAjunkie.com. The promotion is deciding between two separate arenas, though the venues' respective athletic commissions have approved the event.

The official could not confirm if a rumored arena, Oakland, Calif.'s Oracle Arena, is one of the venues targeted for the spring event.

Additionally, a light-heavyweight matchup between former champion Gegard Mousasi and Mike Kyle is expected to take place at the April 9 event. Mousasi informed MMAjunkie.com of the targeted bout this past November.

On Tuesday, a report from MMAWeekly.com stated K.J. Noons is preparing to appear on the card, though his participation could not be confirmed at the time of this writing.

A full press release on the April 9 card and tournament delay are expected for Thursday morning.

Strikeforce held its first tournament event, "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Silva," this past month at IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J., and drew record TV ratings for broadcast partner Showtime. The Feb. 12 telecast averaged 741,000 viewers and peaked with 1.1 million viewers for a headlining bout between Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Silva.

Wow heres a surprise. They delayed the tournament to properly "promote" this thing. I totally believe that. Seeing as SF is known for promoting things so fucking well /sarcasm. Seriously they actually have a decent looking card for the 9th, but I find it so hard to believe that they delayed this to promote the GP more. Now Cain will fight again possibly before the semis actually happen, and if he wins i'll take him over the winner of the GP anyday. Not to mention this will give the next fighters slated for that event much more time than the first set of fighters had to prepare. Not that smartest move by SF.

I really don't care, to be quite honest. The April 9th card is shaping up to be the card of the year. Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley is going to be a fucking war, Kawajiri and Gilbert Melendez's first fight against one another was a complete classic and I don't expect it to be any different this time around, KJ Noons' fights are always entertaining, and it's being rumored that Shinya Aoki vs. Hiroyuki Takaya will also go down on this card, which would be fucking AMAZING.

So, yeah.. I would be pissed if they were postponing it with some throwaway card, but shit, man, they're really giving us all they have with the April 9th card now. I absolutely cannot wait!

"I don't know what to expect anymore with the UFC. I'm not on Dana's favorite, uh, fab five, so I don't know. It can go either way. But if it does happen that I get a title shot afterwards, then I have to think about whether I take it depending on who it is and decide on what I want to do. This is a sport and Jones has a pretty good chance of winning this fight and you know, I got him to win it. So if he wins the fight, then I gotta sit down with the team and decide what we do from there. Jones expressed last night in an interview that he would fight me for the title so... I guess if... I mean... I'm no punk, so..."

I believe that there are 2 losers in the case of fighters not wanting to fight their training partners. One of the are the fans of this sport who have missed out on great fights because "mates" can't/won't fight each other. The second is the fighter who has the most to gain, he like most fighters want to be the best and being the best is being a champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back