MMA News and Tidbits

Although it is almost 2 weeks old, I didn't see it posted but Jens Pulver actually won a fight!! That's right you are reading correctly. He defeated Mike Lindquist in just 49 seconds with a RNC. Granted Lindquist's overall record before the fight was a impressive *jokes* 6-19. Either way good to see him get a win snapping his 6 fight losing streak.

Joe Stevenson will meet Danny Castillo at UFC Versus 3 March 3rd on the preliminary card. This is probably the last straw for Joe Daddy, if he loses this fight thats the dreaded 3 in a row and and would be 5 out of his last 7. It's a winnable fight for Stevenson if he doesn't try and go toe to toe with Castillo or he could get knocked out like the Danzig fight. Castillo is looking to emerge as a fighter, every time he fights a top guy he comes out on the losing end, having lost to Cerrone, Roller, and Pettis in the WEC.

I saw that Pulver has actually won a fight. Very happy for the man. He is one of the legends in the early UFC and its original Lightweight division and while I may not be a fan, I do respect him for everything he has accomplished in the MMA world. Hopefully he will just retire on this win and go out on top. I was almost as happy to hear Pulver won as I was that Jardine finally snapped his losing streak. Almost, but Jardine is far more important to me. :p

So for all of us Wandy fans anticipating his next fight it has been announced finally. He will face Brian Stann at UFC 130 in May in another stacked card the UFC is putting out. It will make it his first fight since he beat Bisping last year around this time. Man, did he look good in that fight too, having almost had the fight stopped twice but the round ending each time saved Bisping. In what almost every Middleweight contender has done over the past year in calling out Wanderlei to fight him, Stann is the winner. Just a week or two ago, Wandy sent out a tweet about fighting Stann here it is,
"Alot guys talk about brian but this guy is american hero, and I respect so much then army guys, I don't wants fight with him"
Wandy is always a class act! But it is time to put that aside and see him get in the cage now, and fight.

Silva definitely can win this fight, if he fights the way he did against Bisping. The only problem with this, is the long layoff for Silva, which has been the longest of his career. If Silva can not get backed up into the cage by Stann and take his flurry of strikes, he will have a really good chance at taking this fight. His striking is loads better than Stanns, he just has to not get caught in a rapid exchange with him, pick him apart before going in for the big shots.

As long as Wanderlei is patient and cautious, he should destroy Brian Stann. Stann's a big motherfucker, and obviously packs a lot of power behind his punches, but Wanderlei will have the vast speed advantage, and he's undoubtedly still packing a lot of power behind his shots as well. If Wand is truly 100% by the time this fight rolls around, I have nothing but faith that he will get the job done.

And man, I hope he does, because a win here would undoubtedly put him in the title picture, or at the very least get the loser of Vitor/Anderson, for a #1 Contendership spot for the Middleweight title. Wand vs. Vitor 2 or Wand vs. Anderson would both just be mind-blowing.

WAR WANDERLEI!!!!!

I agree with the you guys. This is definitely a winnable fight for Wandy. Stan loves to stand and trade which is exactly what Silva is amazing at. As long as he doesn't take the fight lightly, comes in healthy and uses his great striking, then he should be able to win this fight. Now, Stann has some great KO power but as long as Wandy doesn't keep his hands down I don't see him losing this fight.

I would also love to see him face the loser and or winner of the Silva/Belfort fight. Either fight would be fucking amazing and great to watch. A rematch with Vitor has been far to many years in the making and a fight with Anderson is a dream fight. Though I am still partial to seeing him fight Leben personally.

Well this is nothing but good news. Did i ever tell you guys i love Wanderlei Silva. I honestly think if Wanderlei doesn't get too carried away in exchanges with Stann (Brian obviously having the power advantage) than Wandy should have no probs in getting the win. I think a title fight would be a bit premature, but he definetly should be in the title mix. I was there live in the crowd for Bisping vs Silva and that fight just made me love Wanderlei more. No.1 He kicked the shit out of Bisping.
No.2 He looked so good at middleweight and rejuvenated i consider him a major threat to the division and he had shades of his former self.

Current Lightweight fighter Tyson Griffin who somehow is still employed by the UFC after losing 4 out of his last 6 fights including 3 in a row, has said that he plans to drop to Featherweight after he heals from his knee injury. Good move by him to go to FW, he really hasn't looked good at all fighting at LW. He will have an advantage as he is stocky for his 5'6'' frame when he is up against the Featherweights. I wouldn't mind seeing him get the loser out of the Nam Phan/Leonard Garcia 2 (going down on the UFC Fight Night Ortiz/Nog card in March) fight as his debut fight.

Well, to be fair BD, Tyson's last loss was bullshit. I thought he clearly beat Lentz and got completely screwed by the judges. You could also make a case for Griffin in his fight against Dunham (though I still gave it to Dunham, it was VERY close).

Griffin definitely deserves another shot. Plus, as a Takanori Gomi fan, I want to see Griffin do well since it would make Gomi's first round KO over him even that much more impressive. ;)

Well, to be fair BD, Tyson's last loss was bullshit. I thought he clearly beat Lentz and got completely screwed by the judges. You could also make a case for Griffin in his fight against Dunham (though I still gave it to Dunham, it was VERY close).

Griffin definitely deserves another shot. Plus, as a Takanori Gomi fan, I want to see Griffin do well since it would make Gomi's first round KO over him even that much more impressive. ;)

Oh you and your Gomi love, ;).

I agree, Griffin has been a fairly exciting fighter during his entire career in the UFC. He has hit a bit of a rough patch, but 2 of his last 3 fights could have gone either way really. Also, 145 is a much better fit for him and if he is willing to try to make the cut then the UFC should let him have one more shot, just to see if he can capture the fighting spirit once again. I like Griffin and want to see him do well, he will never be a champion, at least in the UFC, but he could make for a great gate keeper and would definitely have some fun fights.

That is true, it's not like he lost all his fights Gomi style.

Jackson today responded to Rua's revelation that "Rampage" turned down a title shot that subsequently was given to Jon "Bones" Jones at UFC 126. The title-fight slot opened when Rashad Evans recently went down with a knee injury.

"I don't care who the opponent is," Jackson said in an exclusive interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm not taking a fight on four weeks' notice."

The former UFC champion said he informed UFC president Dana White of his decision while attending this past weekend's pay-per-view event.

A UFC official confirmed that turn of events to MMAjunkie.com earlier today but declined to comment. Rua, though, told Tatame.com that he didn't know why Jackson declined.

"It's not enough time to get ready for a five-round fight," Jackson said. "Dana knows that. And 'Shogun,' he's a fighter, and he should know that. He shouldn't even go and say [expletive] like that with him being a fighter. He saw me at the fight this weekend. Everybody saw how big I am."

The former champ and star of the recent action blockbuster "The A-Team" recently returned to the gym and is still getting back into the groove. Jackson currently is scheduled to fight Thiago Silva (15-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) at UFC 130, which takes place May 28 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. If he had taken the Rua fight, he'd have just six weeks to prepare. Right now, he has 12 weeks until UFC 130.

"I'm just doing maintenance training right now," Jackson said. "I just started back. I fought right before the holidays, and I went on vacation to see my family and took my kids to see their family in Japan.

"I've been living my life, so I gained a lot of weight. I'm a natural fighter. I don't do any drugs, and I don't know any high-performance drugs, so I have a natural body. My body gains weight when I don't train and I don't eat like I'm in camp."

Jackson (31-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC) said taking the fight with Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at this point would force him to focus almost exclusively on losing weight. Although he has pined for a rematch with Rua since an April 2005 loss to the now-UFC champion, the circumstances aren't right.

"I'm 250 pounds, and I would have to lose 45 pounds in, what, three or four weeks?" he said. "The first time I fought 'Shogun,' I was injured going into that fight, and it's haunted me all the way up to now. I always believed the second time I fight 'Shogun' that I'm going to be close to 100 percent as possible.

"I don't want to have a rushed camp and have a last-minute fight to fight someone who's already beaten me. Even if they offered me Forrest (Griffin) or Rashad (Evans) in four weeks, I can't take that fight because I'm too big."

So for now, he plans to focus on Silva.

Good to see Rampage taking fighting seriously. I'm sure Rampage haters and idiots will say he's just scared of Shogun. That's a lot of weight to cut while trying to train for someone like Rua. I'm sure he knows that if he beat Silva that he should/will be right there for a title shot anyways, so better to just get the proper training camp and take on Silva.

Also, Strikeforce Lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez has re-signed with SF on a multi-year deal. Of course like always with SF they didn't announce for how long or how many fights, like they do with a lot of the fighters. This is probably their thinnest division next to the LHW division that they have. Melendez hasn't fought since he Aoki at the now infamous Nashville brawl show back in April of last year. There really doesn't seem to be anyone worthy or ready to challenge him. All of the top guys in the division are coming off losses. We'll just have to sit and wait till a fight gets announced for him.

[YOUTUBE]SiwbPlBXQ00&feature=related[/YOUTUBE] Absolutely hilarious stuff right here.

Anyway, Jones will be beaten by Shogun which I'm 95% sure will happen but a title fight right now doesn't feel right to me. He needs at least 1 more victory over a top guy before I consider Jones 'ready'.

Shogun WILL fuck him up- Scientific fact right here.

Light heavyweight slugger Thiago Silva (15-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) may soon be forced out of a planned meeting with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (31-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC) at UFC 130.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed with multiple sources close to the event that Silva's participation in the May 28 card is in jeopardy, despite the fighter's insistence that all is well on the home front.

However, multiple sources confirmed with MMAjunkie.com that preliminary discussions with Rashad Evans (15-1-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC) to replace Silva are underway, though it's far too early to consider the rematch a done deal.

MMAWeekly.com was the first to report Silva's potential withdrawal, though representatives for both Jackson and Evans could not confirm the change. The reason for Silva's withdrawal also remains unknown.

Featuring a lightweight title rematch between champ Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard, UFC 130 takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Despite the reports, Silva today told Brazilian MMA website Tatame.com that he is "not injured" and "looking forward to fight Rampage."

UFC brass have yet to make an official announcement, and the Jackson vs. Silva matchup is still listed as UFC 130's co-main event on the company's official website.

Now I would LOVE to see Silva/Rampage go down but if Rashad does end up replacing Rampage I think Rampage would win the rematch. Last time round Rampage had to cut a good 40-50 lbs to get in shape which cost him his cardio and he nearly finished Rashad in the 3rd!

It's quite possible that Silva is gonna be off the card for failing a drug test from UFC 125. You should've posted the rest of the article WL. Here is the rest,

Of significant potential interest, the Nevada State Athletic Commission has yet to release the drug screens from the night of Silva's most recent fight, a UFC 125 win over Brandon Vera that took place Jan. 1 in Las Vegas.
Nevada State Athletic Commision executive director Keith Kizer confirmed with MMAjunkie.com that the commission is still investigating at least one sample from the event. While Kizer could not confirm whether or not one of those samples belonged to Silva, the NSAC executive did confirm that Silva was among the UFC 125 fighters who submitted a pre-fight screen.

About an hour later there was a follow up someone's test being still processed, here is the important stuff out of it,

UFC 125 took place Jan. 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. UFC lightweight champ Frankie Edgar battled back from near-certain to defeat to earn a draw with Gray Maynard in the main event.

The NSAC tested both Edgar and Maynard, as well as Chris Leben, Brian Stann, Brandon Vera, Phil Baroni, Brad Tavares, Jeremy Stephens, Dustin Poirier, Diego Nunes, Daniel Roberts, Jacon Volkmann, Dong Hyun Kim and Clay Guida. Those test results were all declared negative.

As MMAjunkie.com reported earlier today, Kizer confirmed that main-card winner Thiago Silva also submitted a pre-fight drug screen at UFC 125, which indicates the outstanding drug test likely belongs to the Brazilian slugger. However, Kizer was unable to confirm that Silva's specimen was the sample that was "still processing," or what that status might indicate.

That would suck if Silva does have to drop out because he's suspended for failing a drug test. Sad thing is we might see Vera get one more shot because Silva cheated. Of course this is just all speculation right now, but if 15 fighters were tested and the 14 that were mentioned came back negative, that leaves Silva to be the fighter that most likely has failed a drug test.

Of course, I would want to see Evans/Rampage 2, but the stand up war we are sure to get between Silva/Rampage excites me a little more. Rampage and Evans will definitely meet again whether it's at UFC 130 or somewhere down the road.

I really have no interest in seeing Rashad/Rampage 2. The first fight was one of the most predictably boring main events in recent memory and I don't see the second one being any different. Rashad would probably beat Jackson again, putting himself in line for a title shot. Thing is, if Jones beats Rua then Rashad would move down or up a weight class so really they would have just eliminated a title contender in Rampage and have one less since Rashad won't fight Jones. Granted we will know if Jones is champ or not come May, but still I don't think anyone walks away from this happier the if a Rampage/Silva war went down.

With Thiago Silva's status in doubt, the UFC isn't taking any chances.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed with sources close to the UFC that the promotion has pulled the Brazilian from a planned UFC 130 matchup with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (31-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC), and Matt Hamill (10-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) has stepped in to fill the void.

Verbal agreements for the contest are in place, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.

Hamill had been expected to face Phil Davis at April's UFC 129 event. It's currently unknown if Davis will receive a new opponent for the card or be shifted to a later date.

News of the new matchup was first reported by MMABay.co.uk.

Featuring a lightweight title rematch between champ Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard, UFC 130 takes place May 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Silva's status became an issue earlier this week when the Nevada State Athletic Commission revealed the fighter's UFC 125 drug screen was still under investigation. While the NSAC has yet to file a formal complaint against Silva, the promotion has chosen to air on the side of caution.

Hamill enters the matchup on a five-fight win streak, albeit a bit of a dubious run with the inclusion of a disqualification victory over Jon Jones in December 2009. Nevertheless, "The Hammer" also counts wins over Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine, Mark Munoz and Reese Andy during the run.

Meanwhile, Jackson is 3-1 in his past four bouts with wins over Lyoto Machida, Jardine and Wanderlei Silva and a lone decision loss to Rashad Evans.

I find this interesting, that Hamill steps in, and not Evans. It seemed like Evans would be the shoe-in choice to replace Silva. Well Hamill is getting what he wants, in fighting a top contender. If he puts on the same performance he did against Ortiz, he has a good chance at winning a decision against Rampage. But if Rampage manages to stuff his takedowns and keep it standing, Hamill is going to get floored.

As for Phil Davis, maybe Kyle Kingsburry steps in to fight him, or Soszynski.

Makes sense for Soszynski to fight Davis at UFC 129 since he is Canadian.

Citing a leg injury, Luke Rockhold has withdrawn from a planned matchup with Tim Kennedy (12-3 MMA, 3-1 SF) at March's "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" event.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported, Dutch slugger Melvin Manhoef (24-8-1 MMA, 0-1 SF) will step into the open slot. Strikeforce brass today made the change official.

Classic striker vs grappler match. I fancy Kennedy to win this by submission. It has been documented throughout Melvin's career he has little to no ground game and I think Kennedy can take advantage of this.

Very interesting choice.

For Rampage, I think it's kind of lose-lose for him. I mean, what exactly is beating Matt Hamill going to do for him? After all, Hamill is the same guy who got demolished by Jon Jones just a year ago. I think people will be expecting Rampage to do the same thing to him, and if he doesn't... then Rampage's status in MMA will get severely damaged. People will really start to look at him as someone who best days are far behind him, and that will be sad considering how young Rampage still is and how much he still could contribute to the sport of Mixed Martial Arts.

And Matt Hamill, this is easily the biggest opportunity of his career. This fight will determine once and for all if Hamill is a serious contender at 205, or simply a gatekeeper.

All in all, I like the fight a lot, and I do think it'll be an interesting match-up. I just hope Rampage takes it as seriously as possible and shows up in the best shape he possibly can.

Sengoku Raiden Championships middleweight titleholder Jorge Santiago will return to the UFC in 2011.

Santiago has signed a new contract with the promotion and is expected to make his return at UFC 130 on May 28 against a to-be-named opponent.

ESPN first reported Santiago's signing on Friday, and Sherdog.com confirmed Santiago's new deal with a source close to the negotiations. Details of the Brazilian’s contract are not known at this time.

A product of the vaunted American Top Team in Florida, Santiago began his professional career in 2002. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt made his UFC debut at Fight Night 5 in 2006, knocking out Justin Levens just over two minutes into their bout. Back-to-back defeats would follow for Santiago, however, and the 30-year-old was bounced from the promotion after suffering knockouts to Chris Leben and Alan Belcher, respectively.

Santiago rebounded in 2007, winning Strikeforce's four-man, single-night middleweight grand prix, knocking out Sean Salmon and Trevor Prangley in under three minutes combined.

The well-rounded middleweight then tried his luck abroad, signing with Japan's SRC and running off five straight victories. Three of those wins occurred in the promotion's middleweight grand prix, culminating with Santiago's victory over Kazuo Misaki in 2009 to earn him the championship belt.

Santiago recently negotiated his release from the Japanese promotion, stating his desire to fight once again for a major American promotion. The fighter will now vacate the SRC middleweight title.

I think this is a very good move by the UFC. Santiago is a very exciting fighter who adds some great depth to the Middleweight division. I know his first run in the UFC was incredibly lack luster but since his release from the company he has gone on a fucking tear and has won 11 fights with only 1 loss. My point being that he is better now then he was during his first run in the company. Santiago should make for a great match up with just about anyone in the division and could do very well. I definitely think he has a run at the title in him.

Excellent news for an exciting fighter in Santiago. H ecould really make some waves in the division and I'm hoping that Japenese stars buck the trend and get some mother fucking wins on the board. Japenese MMA could use a boost by having one of their best do well in the UFC.

My question is how come Evans could fight Rampage, but not fight Shogun? Could they NOT have just pushed his fight back a few weeks or something? That doesn't make much sense to me. Either way, yeah. It seems like their aren't any fights that interest me anymore with Rampage. Everyone's a wrestler now and no one will stand with him.

Dave “Pee Wee” Herman has been released from his contract with Japanese promotion Sengoku and has reportedly signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Herman’s manager, Shu Hirata, confirmed the heavyweight’s release from Sengoku with MMAFighting.com early Tuesday. MMAWeekly.com now reports that Herman’s Octagon debut is already lined up, and that the Indiana native will face Brit Rob Broughton as part of UFC 131 June 11 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Sporting an impressive record of 20-2, with 19 wins by way of knockout or submission, Herman has long been considered one of the most desirable heavyweight free agents in MMA. Along with Sengoku, the 26-year-old is a veteran of EliteXC and Bellator Fighting Championships. Herman was locked in a contract dispute with the latter promotion for the better part of 2010, but finally returned to the Bellator cage in September with a first-round omoplata submission of Poland’s Michal Kita.

Herman was last seen competing at Sengoku’s Dec. 30 “Soul of Fight” event, where he took a unanimous decision over Pride veteran Yoshihiro “Kiss” Nakao. The 6-foot-5, 240-pounder’s professional ledger includes victories over the likes of Don Frye, Ron Waterman, and “Big” Jim York.

Broughton, a former Cage Rage British heavyweight champion, made a successful UFC debut at UFC 120 in October. Despite falling behind early, “The Bear” came back to score a third-round rear-naked choke submission against Vinicius Kappke de Queiroz, who later allegedly tested positive for banned substances. Prior to entering the UFC, the Liverpudlian notched wins against Britain’s biggest names at heavyweight, including Neil Grove, Neil Wain and James Thompson, twice.

Holy shit, this is a great pick up by the UFC. Dave Herman is a freak of nature and pretty damn good prospect. Not to mention he's from Fort Wayne, didn't realize that until just now. My point being, he is young, hungry, and jacked. Basically he is a better version of Todd Duffee with bigger wins and a lot more talent. I think he will definitely make some waves in the UFC. I don't know how big of waves, I'll reserve that until I actually see him fight, but he has a ton of potential and should make for some awesome fights.

So with the news of Jorge Santiago signing with the UFC again, his first opponent looks like it will be Brian Stann at UFC 130. That means that Wanderlei has another fight scratched for him, but quickly gained another opponent in Vitor Belfort at UFC Rio at the end of August.

First with Santiago/Stann, it is still a big name opponent for Stann of course not as big as Wandy. Santiago is still gonna be a tough challenge for Stann. We should still expect a nice war between these two.

Onto Silva/Belfort - This should be exciting. Their first fight was much like the fight we just saw Belfort against Anderson, started out real slow then bam, it was over, except Belfort won. Belfort checked a Wandy punch, then went off, throwing a flurry of punches to Silva's head pushing him all the way across the ring until he knocked him down, that's when Big John stepped in to call the fight in just 44 seconds. The thing that scares me with the rematch is the even longer layoff for Silva. This could also spoil Silva's climb back to a title shot. On the bright side if he does lose we might be able to get the Silva/Sexyama fight.

I just saw the Dave Herman thing too, Jon. You hit the nail on the head by saying he is a better Todd Duffee. Definitely looking forward to seeing him in the UFC. He will get a few guys like Broughton before getting some of the top guys. With a win over Broughton, I like to see him fight the rising Matt Mitrione or even Pat Barry.

Although it is not 100% official, we can pencil in Jeremy Stephens vs. Jonathon Brookins for TUF 13 Finale. It will be Brookins' first fight since winning TUF 12. He is going to have his hands full with Stephens, who at times is one of the toughest Lightweights to fight, or looks rather dull like in the Guillard fight. Either way it is a tough challenge for Jon-a-tin (GSP voice) for his first fight. He needs to work on his striking defense, blocking punches with his head against Stephens isn't going to work, like it did against Johnson. If he doesn't check punches thrown by Stephens we will get knocked out!! It will be tough but if he manages to get the fight to the ground he can but it away, providing he can get past Stephen's TDD, which is pretty solid.

Phil Davis get's his replacement opponent in Jason Brilz, since Hamill got pulled from their fight at UFC 129 to fight Rampage. Davis still get's a tough opponent in Brilz. This can easily go to a decision. Brilz is a tough guy to put away. Davis should be able to grind out a decision, the guy is stupid strong. Both have a strong wrestling background, but I give the edge to Davis as he was a D1 and Brilz was a D2 wreslter. Also, Davis has the BJJ background and youth on his side. However we saw what happened when Brilz stepped in late to face Lil Nog and got robbed of a decision in their fight.

By MATT MOLGAARD
MMANEWS.COM Staff Writer

Former UFC competitor and The Ultimate Fighter participant Jeremy Jackson has been sentenced to 25 years to life, stemming from a 2008 rape of his former girlfriend.

California’s Ventura County Superior Court issued a ruling on Monday according to a report from the Ventura County Star. Jackson pleaded guilty on Dec. 13 to multiple charges that stemmed from the alleged June 2008 incident, including forcible rape.

According to the report, Jackson sent a series of “erratic and threatening” text messages to the unnamed Oxnard, California, woman before raping her at gunpoint with a BB gun. It’s alleged that Jackson later admitted to planning the crime in secretly recorded telephone conversations.

Jeremy Jackson will officially exit the sport with a 9-5 professional mixed martial arts record. He last competed at Total Combat 19 in March of 2007. He earned a first round TKO victory to prematurely close out an up-and-down MMA career.

Jackson’s problems away from the cage have been well documented for years.

Credit: MMAnews

I was annoyed to say the least when I first heard about this at the time. A rapist is a cold as a human can get. I personally don't think that he showed remorse. I also think that he was a bit deranged (you could see in the house he wasn't the most normal of people). Personally I'm glad he will be spending at least the next 25 years in prison where someone can rape him.

Eddie Alvarez vs. Pat Curran title fight headlines Bellator 39
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:05 am ET

A title fight between lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez (21-2 MMA, 5-0 BFC) and season-two tourney winner Pat Curran (12-3 MMA, 3-0 BFC) will headline Bellator 39 on April 2.

Bellator Chairman and CEO confirmed the once-canceled title fight with MMAFighting.com on Wednesday.

A source told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) it was booked for the show, which takes place at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Conn., because of Alvarez's Northeast roots.

The fight airs on MTV2 as part of Bellator's new three-year deal with the cable outlet.

After Alvarez won the season-one tournament and Curran the season-two tourney, they were scheduled for a title fight in season three. But Curran was forced out of the bout due to a shoulder injury, and Alvarez instead fought and defeated eliminated tourney fighter Roger Huerta in a non-title fight.

Alvarez now carries a six-fight win streak into the bout and an 11-1 record in his past 12 fights. All but two of the wins (over Matt Lee and Joachim Hansen) came via stoppage. In fact, while known for heavy hands, Alvarez has posted submission wins in five of his past six victories.

Curran, the cousin of former UFC/WEC fighter Jeff Curran, punched his ticket to the title with tourney wins over Mike Ricci, Huerta and Toby Imada. He's now won four straight and six of his past seven.

Wow, another great fight from Bellator. I really can't wait to see if Eddie can sign with Strikeforce or UFC. He's been having pretty good fights in Bellator but some of the big league match ups are really good. Either way this should be fireworks too. Eddie's finished 19 of his 21 wins, and Pat Curran is really impressing me too. I'll be rooting for Eddie though. I hope he can get a few more wins under his belt and eventually get an offer from Strikeforce or UFC. Still really pulling for Eddie vs Gilbert in the future.

Either way Eddie by TKO.

Quick rundown from tonights Challengers show. Pretty solid. I really dig these shows because they give the lesser known and younger fighters a chance to show what they have and to see the possible future stars. Past Challenger fighters were Tyrone Woodley, Ovince St. Preux, and Shane Del Rosario. Tonight definitely gave us a glimpse at some more possible future stars. David Douglas looked great. This kid is huge for a Lightweight and could definitely make some waves in Strikeforce. Ryan Couture looked solid and showed off his very good grappling skills. As long as he takes his time and develops his skills properly then he should have a nice run in Strikeforce. Carlo Prater showed off his sick BJJ skills with an awesome submission. And, Pat Healy and Lyle Bearbohm had a great grappling match. Pretty solid show that opened my eyes to some possible future stars in Douglas and Couture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back