MLB Hall of Fame Class 2010

The Brain

King Of The Ring
In about a month the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame class of 2010 will be announced. I look forward to this every year. This year is especially intriguing to me. You usually know when a first ballot hall of famer arrives on the ballot. I don’t think anyone was surprised last year when Rickey Henderson was voted in. Same in 2007 for Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn. This year is different. I could see as many as four or as few as zero first timers getting in this year. So my question to you is who will get in this year. Keep in mind that not choosing someone is not an insult. This is the Hall of Fame we’re talking about. Someone can have a great career and still not make it to the Hall of Fame.

First let’s talk about the holdovers. Every year we see names like Bert Blyleven, Andre Dawson, Lee Smith, Jack Morris, amongst others that gain enough votes to remain on the ballot but not enough to gain entry. I think Morris is close, but not quite close enough. I’m on the fence about Blyleyen and could easily be pushed over, but I’m not quite there yet. I think Dawson belongs in. I’m surprised he’s not in yet. He has 438 home runs, 1591 RBI, and 2774 hits. He also has 314 stolen bases; pretty good for a power guy. He was good in the field too collecting 8 gold gloves over the years. He was a 9 time all star and was MVP in 1987. This was all before steroids were introduced to baseball. Dawson belongs in the hall.

There are five interesting names appearing on the ballot for the first time. Roberto Alomar, Andres Galarraga, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, and Fred McGriff. I really don’t see Galarraga coming close, but he could be a Dave Parker type who gets just enough votes to remain on the ballot every year. Larkin and Martinez have a better chance, but I don’t think either will get in. I’m not too sure about McGriff, but if I had a vote I think I would vote him in. He had 493 home runs and 1550 RBI. He was always consistent. You could pencil him in for 30-35 home runs and 90-110 RBI every year. He was often overshadowed by guys like McGwire, Thomas, or Bagwell, but McGriff was always a top guy. I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t make it, but I think he should. I think Roberto Alomar will get in. He has a lifetime batting average of .300. He had 210 home runs and 1134 RBI; not bad for a second baseman. He also had 2724 hits and 474 stolen bases. I think his 10 gold gloves and 12 all star appearances push him over the top. I think Alomar has the best chance to get in.

So if I was voting I would choose Andre Dawson, Roberto Alomar, and Fred McGriff. Who would you vote for?

Wiki said:
Martínez, Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Lou Gehrig, Manny Ramirez, and Todd Helton are the only players in history with 300 home runs, 500 doubles, a career batting average higher than .300, a career on-base percentage higher than .400 and a career slugging percentage higher than .500.

Edgar is in a class with Stan Musial, Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, and Ted Williams. That's a who's who of Major League Baseball. How could you say he doesn't belong in the Hall?

Edgar Martinez definitely deserves to be in the hall of fame. I just don't understand the absolutely insane stats that everyone demands now a days for induction into the hall of fame. I mean shit, if Phil Rizzuto can be in the Hall of Fame, anyone can. I find it kind of ridiculous that people will look at someone's stats, say "Oh he doesn't have 500 HRs!", and use that to say they aren't worthy of being in the hall of fame. Absolutely ridiculous. Edgar Martinez practically defines the DH role.

Larkin sounds like the only other one with a decent chance to be inducted. He probably won't though. These days you have to shit home runs and piss on-base percentage to be hailed a hall of famer.

Wow, pretty bad HOF class this year. I'm guessing at least one of the holdover guys is going to get in then, hopefully Blyleven. He has 293 wins, yet isn't the HOF yet. If he would've simply played one more season, he would've been in years ago, but since he didn't reach that milestone, he's not.

Edgar should be in too. He was part of an amazing Seattle offense and was definetly one of the most feared hitters in the league. Just because he's a DH, doesn't mean he shouldn't be in.

I could see either Alomar or Larkin in as well. Alomar was the best 2B in the league for awhile and Larkin was a great fielder and the face of the Reds franchise.

Also, will be interesting to see how McGwire is voted this year. He definetly won't get enought, but curious to see if they go up or down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back