MLB HOF 2012: Who's On Your Ballot?

The Brain

King Of The Ring
It’s that time of year again. One of my favorite times on the sports calendar. This Monday the MLB Hall of Fame class of 2012 will be announced. Unfortunately many of the elitist writers who undeservingly have the privilege of voting have taken upon themselves to act as the moral police and leave deserving players off their ballot. Despite my bitter comment this thread is meant to be fun and to share who you would have on your HOF ballot. Here are some of the names you have to choose form:

Barry Larkin
Tim Raines
Jeff Bagwell
Rafael Palmeiro
Mark McGwire
Fred McGriff
Edgar Martinez
Jack Morris
Lee Smith
Larry Walker
Alan Trammell
Dale Murphy
Don Mattingly
Juan Gonzalez
Bernie Williams (1st ballot)
Tim Salmon (1st ballot)
Vinny Castilla (1st ballot)

There are a number of other first time names on the ballot but I don’t think they are worth mentioning. As a matter of fact I don’t see anyone who is on their first ballot coming close to the HOF. I’m sure Bernie Williams will get some support thanks to his role in the Yankee dynasty but he is not a hall of famer in my opinion. None of the other first timers are likely to return to the ballot next year.

Here’s my ballot:

Rafael Palmeiro: This should be a no brainer. There are four men in the history of MLB who have over 500 home runs and over 3000 hits. Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Eddie Murray, and Rafael Palmeiro. Palmeiro also ranks 16th all time in RBI with 1835. I could go on but that should be enough to get Palmeiro in. The 11% he got last year was a disgrace and while I don’t expect him to get much more support this year I hope he can remain on the ballot long enough to let the stench of the steroid era wear off so he can take his rightful place in Cooperstown some day.

Jeff Bagwell: Bagwell was one of the most dominant players of the 90s and the first half of the 00s. He hit for average and hit for power driving in and scoring runs in bunches. It’s one thing to leave Palmeiro out because of steroids but I don’t recall Bagwell’s name ever being linked with any illegal substances. He is proof of the unfair voting habits of many writers. They are just assuming all power hitters of the 90s were on steroids despite no evidence.

Fred McGriff: He’s borderline for me but I think he should be in. The Crime Dog was one of the most consistent players for about a 15 year period. He always hit between .285 and .300, always hit 30-40 home runs, and always had 90-110 RBI. That ended up giving him 493 career home runs and 1550 career RBI. I’m not shocked that he hasn’t been voted in but I am surprised by how little support he’s received in his two years on the ballot.

I think that would be it if I had a vote. Barry Larkin, Larry Walker, and Mark McGwire are all very close and it’s very possible I may change my mind on them next year. Hell I might change my mind on any of them by Monday. As to what will actually happen, I see Barry Larkin being the only one who does get voted in this year. What do you guys think? Who would be on your ballot and who do you think actually will get in?

Alan Trammell and Jack Morris. It's about goddamn time.

I have no qualms about admitting that I have a definite bias in favor of any member of the 1984 Detroit Tigers squad...but the fact that neither of these guys is in is a JOKE. I know neither will get in. But, the fact that they aren't in already is a travesty. As for Morris, his stats weren't exceptional outside of wins/complete games...but he just FEELS like a HOF'er. I have heard someone mention that the HOF is really about telling the story of MLB, and you simply cannot tell the story of MLB in the 1980s without including Jack Morris or Tramm.

The sad part is, neither player will get enough votes, and it's a shame.

While it's nice to see a lot of guys always get inducted, I'd rather the hall of fame be for the best of the best. While it's always nice to hear cases for guys, if I hear the name and don't immediately think that the player is HOF worthy, I wouldn't want him. While there are exceptions once you look deeper, that's generally my line of thinking.

With that being said, Jeff Bagwell definitely got screwed over by the stupid notion that 'since he has big muscles and played in the steroid era, he did them too'. Problem is, he was never mentioned and was generally just a big guy. His OPS+ is 149, higher then many HOFs and most that are higher are either HOFs themselves, active players that will be in HOF (Pujols), guys that played in the 1800s, or guys with the steroid cloud (Manny Ramirez, Bonds). With no real strong candidate, it would be nice for him to get his due. Problem is he still has to make up 30+ percent to get to 75%, and you normally don't see a bounce up that high. For him not to get it though seems very wrong.

I believe Barry Larkin will get in and I have no beef with that. He's been an MVP, multiple all-star (even with injury problems) did a lot of things well but probably nothing great. He does need around 12-13%, but with no other clear candidates he could receive some more votes.

The other noticable candidates you can throw some arguments that hurts their cases, such as

Jack Morris - Aside from wins, he wasn't that impressive looking of a pitcher. And as I've said, wins should never be the benchmark for a great pitcher. His career ERA would be the highest of anyone in the HOF. A uy that belongs in the hall of good but not great.

Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire - Admitted steroid users, a black eye and if were to be inducted opens up a whole new Pandora's box that isn't needed.

Larry Walker - Has some great numbers, but spent much of that time in friendly Coors field where everyones numbers go up. Not that he wasn't a great player, but his numbers probably wouldn't be as inflated playing anywhere else.

Lee Smith - A compiler that's one claim to fame is the saves mark, which is another overrated stat in itself.

Alan Trammel - While I'd love to see him in due to being a Tiger, another one of those guys that belong in the hall of good but not great.

Tim Raines - Too short of a dominant period. While his numbers compare favorably with Tony Gwynn, it'll just be too tough for him to get over the hump.

Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire - Admitted steroid users, a black eye and if were to be inducted opens up a whole new Pandora's box that isn't needed.

What about Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez, and Manny Ramirez? We're talking about the greatest players of this generation. To leave them out of the HOF would be a disservice to the HOF itself. I know Palmeiro has no chance of getting in this year but I hope to see his support grow. Time heels all wounds and eventually these guys will get in. Once one of them makes it, it will break down the door for the others. I just hope Palmeiro is still on the ballot when that happens.

That's one way of looking at it, since there were a lot of guys doing it then so you figure 'no big deal'. But I feel that if you get caught using, you lose your right to complain about earning a spot or not. Sure, you may have hit 500 HRs or won 300 games, but how much of that was done while juicing? How do we know if you would've become as strong or as durable if you weren't able to juice? It's just tough for me to accept guys that were putting enhancing substances in their body and cheated the game, especially since there were great players during that time that (frow what we know) played it the right way.

If you want all the fame and glory then, fine. But you can't have your cake and eat it too.

i fully expected anybody from the steriod era to not get in this year but i would have put lee smith in with larkin i was surprised he didnt make it...as far as the new guys i think all of them have a chance but i would never vote bernie williams into the hall of fame i honestly think he was a average player at best...next year should be intersting with rodger clemens,sammy sosa and barry bonds all joining the ballot

I am inclined to allow the cheaters in. MLB did very little complaining during the 90s when the hitters were bashing 70+ Home runs, it was good for a business that needed excitement after the strike. Basically, MLB made their bed, now they have to lay in it.

By having what was easily the weakest drug testing policy in all of major American sports, they kind of asked for cheating to happen, and when it did, MLB reaped all kinds of benefits from it. Their ratings went up, people came back to watch the HR chases, MLB made a lot of money off of those cheaters.

MLB knew the cheating was going on, that it was rampant, and did jack shit about it. If that is the environment that MLB created and profited from in the 90s, then how can they penalize players for taking advantage of it? The steroid problem was as much because of MLB's lax attitude as it was the individual players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back