• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hall of Fame or Not?

Bruce is a tough one. The numbers are there but he did play 16 seasons so a lot of that is longevity. Nothing wrong with that as it shows he was durable but it's something voters may take into consideration. Of his 16 seasons he went over 1,000 yards receiving 8 times. With the exception of probably 3 seasons he was always the number two target. He thrived in that role but again it's another thing voters may look negatively at. I really want to say yes and if it were up to me he would eventually make it in but I believe that he will end up being left out of the Hall of Fame.

Up next: Donovan McNabb

Up next: Donovan McNabb

This is a hard one. So far, I think Donovan deserves to be in the discussion for the Hall of Fame. During his career, he led the Eagles to 5 NFC Championship games, and 1 Super Bowl. While he is yet to win a Championship, he has been a great QB, holding a Regular Season Record of 92-49-1 (and counting). He is a 6 time pro-bowler (including 5 in a row from 2000-2004, and has had a winning record as a Starting QB in all but 3 seasons.

I think his lack of a ring might hurt him, but I think he is clearly in the conversation, and if he can turn the Redskins into a playoff team, and even get into a Super Bowl, I would say he is a definite Hall of Famer.

Next:

Joe Klecko

If Klecko gets in it will be because the senior committee votes him in. He had a great career making the pro bowl 4 times at 3 different positions. He had 20.5 sacks in 1981 before they were an official stat and he has also been talked about by a lot of the all time great offensive lineman of that era in a very positive light. For whatever reason he has never even been able to make the cut of 15 Hall of Fame finalists so I don't see him getting in any time soon even though he definitely deserves it.

Next up: Jerome Bettis

I'd say yes to Bettis for all the TD's he scored and his ring. Bettis ended his career withh 91 career TD's and I think that puts him at 10th All Time for rushing TD's. the Bus also ended his career with 13,000 something yards rushing and that's comparable to Larry Csoka and he's in.

Next is Allen Iverson.

I'll say yes to Iverson.

Some of his accomplishments include winning the rookie of the year award and an MVP award. On top of that, he was the scoring champion 4 different times. He is also an 11 time all star. During his time in Philadelphia, he carried them to the playoffs. I consider him one of the best players during his time, and for that, I say he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Next up: For the all star game LD guys, Andy Pettitte.

Pettitte is a tough one. He is a darn good pitcher, but he isn't a guy that was the best in the game, but always a guy you could count on. A solid amount of wins with 240, but his ERA is close to 4, at 3.87. I'm going to say no. His numbers aren't mind blowing and he isn't someone I'd consider an ace. Not a Hall of Famer, but he would definitely belong in the Hall of Very Good.

Next: Charlie Manuel

No, Charlie has a long way to go before being elected in as a manager. He's umped for less then 10 seasons, if my calculations are right, and he's only won 1 ring so far. He's helped make the Phillies a main contender, but he's got many more years to go before he should even be considered as a manager.

Matt Williams (3rd baseman)

Revivin' Time.

No on Matt Williams. Yeah, he has a few Silver Slugger awards, Gold Gloves, and All star game appearances, but he has a career BA less than .270, less than 400 homeruns, and less than 2000 hits. He has like 3 or 4 good seasons, but other than that he was mediocre. Not to mention that he was linked to steroids.

Next up: Roy Halladay

Doc is a no brainer 1st ballot guy. He's proved it throughout the regular season and now finally the post season. Doc is the man.

Next up is Matt Hasselbeck. Not really sure if he's been done yet.

Up next is Matt Hasselbeck.

Damn Blue, You already asked on Hasselbeck, I was searching back to see who has been picked and stumbled on this a few pages ago.

I'm gonna say no to Hasselbeck. He strung together a few good years for the Seahawks, put only 3 Pro Bowls, 1 SB appearance, and 5 playoff appearances. These last few years are gonna hurt his chances as well, as he isn't looking to good out there. One thing is for sure is he will always be remembered for the coin toss in OT with his "We want the ball, and we're gonna score!"

Next - Vladimir Guerrero

I think Vlad will get in. From 1997-2010 he’s hit below .300 only once. That was last year when he hit .295. He had a nice bounce back season and I’d say he has at least another two years in him. His career batting average is .320 and he should be over 500 home runs by the time he’s done. I figure he’ll be at about 2800 hits and 1600 RBI in two years and he may stick around for more. Remember he also used to be a regular 40/40 candidate. Age and injureies have slowed him down in recent years, but this guy was an absolute stud for many years and has proven he still has some gas left in the tank. I think he’s going to be the last one to go in the hall as a Montreal Expo.

Next: Jorge Posada

I'm going to say no on Jorge. He is a good bat, very clutch, but just doesn't have the numbers that exactly blow you away to be in. A few silver sluggers and a few World Series rings later.. Maybe 2nd or 3rd ballot.

Up: Mats Sundin

Remember he also used to be a regular 40/40 candidate.

This sounded strange to me so I looked up his stats, Vlad never hit 40/40. In fact the only to years he stole over 20 bases he hit 34 and 39 Home Runs, in those years he had 37 and 40 Stolen bases. All the rest of his years he hasn't stolen over 15 bases per season. So he wasn't really a regular candidate, but I do agree with the rest of what you said about him as I feel he will be in the HOF someday for sure.

As for Mats Sundin, he will definitely get in. It's just a matter when. I see some people being a little hesitant with him getting in as a first ballot only because he never made it to the Cup after alot of playoff appearances. But he will definitely make it in. He is the highest scoring Swede of all time, I don't think I would call him the best Swede as Lidstrom probably takes that. But with scoring 564 goals and 785 assists, add in 82 points in 91 playoff games. 7th all time in game winning goals with 96. I'd say he has the numbers to get in for sure.

Next - John Lynch

This sounded strange to me so I looked up his stats, Vlad never hit 40/40. In fact the only to years he stole over 20 bases he hit 34 and 39 Home Runs, in those years he had 37 and 40 Stolen bases. All the rest of his years he hasn't stolen over 15 bases per season. So he wasn't really a regular candidate, but I do agree with the rest of what you said about him as I feel he will be in the HOF someday for sure.

I don't know why I said 40/40. I meant 30/30. 40/40 is hard to come by. Even my memories of 30/30 are a little exaggerated. I thought he achieved that more than he did. My bad.

John Lynch is still next.

Yes on John Lynch. He is a 9 time pro bowler, has a Super Bowl ring, and during his prime was the hardest hitting safety in the NFL. When Barry Sanders tells you that you hit him harder then he has ever been hit before, then you deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Next Up: Donovann McNabb

Yes on McNabb. He might not be a first ballot, but he'll eventually get in. He was, arguably, the top QB in the NFC from 02-04, is a winner, and has an over 2 to 1 TD-INT ratio. He wasn't the most durable guy, only having started 16 games 4 times in 11 years, but he lead the Eagles to the NFC Championship 4 times, and the first 3 times he had some less then spectacular weapons. He's nearing 35,000 yds passing + 3,000 more rushing (along with 28 TDs and a 5.7 ypc). The guy has it all, both statistically and record wise, and deserves it. He still probably has 3-4 years left in him to get to the really high milestones, and was a top 5 QB for a long, long time.

Keith Brooking

Ill say no on Brooking. The guy is a 5 time Pro-Bowler, but he's played most of his career(until signing with Dallas) as an under the radar type of player. At age 35, a 12 year veteran, his numbers are hardly overwhelming. 20 career sacks. Of his 2017 career tackles, 212 came in ONE season. Brooking has been a solid, blue collar player Id want on my team any day of the week, but he's simply not a Hall of Famer, unless he goes on to have a brilliant coaching career, which isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Next up: LaDanian Tomlinson.

Next up: LaDainian Tomlinson.
how is this guy NOT a Hall of Famer?
  • 8/9 years he has been over 1100 yards (he's on pace for 1300 this year.
  • 2nd all time in Rushing Touchdowns (143 and counting) behind Emmit Smith (164) and 3rd in Touchdowns (158) behind Smith (175) and Jerry Rice (208)
  • He is currently 7th all time in rushing yards (12980), and he will certainly pass Eric Dickerson(13259), Jerome Bettis (13,662), and Curtis Martin (14,101). That will put him at 4th all time in rushing.
  • He is currently 8th in yards from scrimmage (17042), and will continue to move up the list, almost certainly jumping Curtis Martin (17430), Marcus Allen (17654), and Barry Sanders (18190).
No way in hell he DOESN'T get into the Hall, and maybe even first ballot.

Up next: lets keep with Jet greats, and go with Jason Taylor.

2017 career tackles, 212 came in ONE season. Brooking has been a solid, blue collar player Id want on my team any day of the week, but he's simply not a Hall of Famer, unless he goes on to have a brilliant coaching career, which isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I'll agree that Brooking isn't really a hall of famer, had some decent seasons but not enough for the HOF.

What I wanna know is, where in the world did you get those stats? Brooking only has like 1200, with the most ever in a season being 144.

Jason Taylor was already done. Damn, does anybody look back anymore to see who has been done?

So things don't get out of whack, I guess we'll redo Taylor. Yes he will get in. Probably not on a first ballot but he will get in at some point. Just now cracking the top ten all time list in sacks with 130.5, 6 Pro Bowls, Defensive Player of the Year award. I'd say it's enough for him to get in. With this year and maybe one or two more at most left he has a chance to pad those stats a little more.

Next - Well since Stormtrooper wanted to go with Jet greats, how about Kevin Mawae.

how is this guy NOT a Hall of Famer?
  • 8/9 years he has been over 1100 yards (he's on pace for 1300 this year.
  • 2nd all time in Rushing Touchdowns (143 and counting) behind Emmit Smith (164) and 3rd in Touchdowns (158) behind Smith (175) and Jerry Rice (208)
  • He is currently 7th all time in rushing yards (12980), and he will certainly pass Eric Dickerson(13259), Jerome Bettis (13,662), and Curtis Martin (14,101). That will put him at 4th all time in rushing.
  • He is currently 8th in yards from scrimmage (17042), and will continue to move up the list, almost certainly jumping Curtis Martin (17430), Marcus Allen (17654), and Barry Sanders (18190).
No way in hell he DOESN'T get into the Hall, and maybe even first ballot.

When did I say he wasn't a hall of famer? The whole point of this thread is to make a case for a guy. I picked Tomlinson, you made a case for him.

I'll agree that Brooking isn't really a hall of famer, had some decent seasons but not enough for the HOF.

What I wanna know is, where in the world did you get those stats? Brooking only has like 1200, with the most ever in a season being 144.

Wikipedia. According to them, he's the FIFTH Falcon in history to record over 200 tackles in a season.

Time for some bumpage.

Kevin Mawae = Yes. He was an 8 time pro bowler, and only had 4 seasons where he didn't start all 16 games (and only one year where he played in less then 14, which was in 2005). He was the center that helped Curtis Martin run wild in NY and continued to do well up until his retirement (was a pro bowler his last 2 seasons).

Next up: Edgar Martinez

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back