• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike Tyson going into HoF

yur_momma

Pre-Show Stalwart
http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/30/mike-tyson-wwe-hall-of-fame/#.Tycpi_n2uHs

Mike Tyson can now boast that he's a member of not one, but two halls of fame -- because the legendary boxer is going to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame ... TMZ has learned.

Tyson will be inducted during the ceremony at American Airlines Arena in Miami, FL on March 31. As has become tradition, WrestleMania XXVIII takes place the following day.

Iron Mike tells TMZ, "I am honored to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. I was the youngest heavyweight champion of all time, but the most fun I ever had in the ring was with WWE."

Tyson's history with the WWE goes back to 1998 when, after a confrontation with Stone Cold Steve Austin on Monday Night Raw, Tyson served as special enforcer for the main event at WrestleMania XIV between Austin and Shawn Michaels (see above).

Tyson made his return to the WWE last year, when he hosted Monday Night Raw.

Other non-wrestlers in the WWE Hall of Fame include Drew Carey, Pete Rose and William "The Refrigerator" Perry.

I think he should be in it. It isnt a SPORTS HoF, its more of an entertainment HoF and regardless of what some might think the HoF should be it does include Pete Rose and William Perry, neither of whom had as much impact as Tyson. So good for him :) (Im surprised WZ hasnt reported this yet....)

If they are looking for a "Celebrity" inductee for the HOF, then I think Iron Mike Tyson is a good choice.

He was involved in one of the THE biggest Attitude Era storyline when he was brought in to be the enforcer in the HBK v Austin match at WM14. The segment where Austin attacks Tyson is one of the most famous WWE images of all time, made all the better by JR's lines of commentary "TYSON AND AUSTIN, TYSON AND AUSTIN!".

His involvement, while being banned from boxing made worldwide news, helped to gain much publicity for WWE, and the way that Tyson then revealed himself to be on the side of DX, is classic WWE at its best.

I dont mind Tyson going in the HOF at all. His appearances for WWE did have a big impact, made the company alot of money and his induction this year into the HOF will again get WWE publicity.

Agreed. I've heard a lot of criticism of putting Tyson into the HoF, but I think people tend to ignore the fact that the celebrity wing exists.

Very good arguments made in his defence sir.

Mike Tyson certainly deserves being inducted into the celebrity wing of the WWE Hall of Fame than Drew Carey did...Tyson was actually a crucial component to one of the biggest storylines of the Attitude era. He didn't just put in an appearance, he was integral to it. This is exactly the kind of person that should be inducted into the celebrity wing, someone who not only makes a one time appearance, but gets involved. Perhaps they could have done the HBK/DX vs. SCSA storyline differently, in a way that didn't involve Tyson at all, but Tyson generated a lot of buzz that might not have occurred otherwise. I have absolutely no problems with Mike Tyson being inducted at all.

Tyson is right up there with Cindy Lauper and Muahammed Ali in terms of important celebrity contributions to the wrestling industry. The WWE brought him into the fold in January 1998 at the cost of $1 million. To give you an idea of how important $1 million was to Vince McMahon at that time, remember that it was just a few months earlier that Vince informed Bret Hart that he was going to breach his contract because he couldn't afford to pay it.

Face it - this move was a last-second hail mary toss into the end zone. And it worked. Mike Tyson got the WWE back in the mainstream. He was a catalyst for the most successful era in WWE history. At a time when most people were watching Monday Nitro, he got that crowd to switch channels - if only for one night - just to see what he'd do. His interaction with Austin was so powerful that many of those viewers continued to watch throughout the angle ... and ultimately stayed for the entire Attitude Era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back