**MERGED** WWE DVD Discussion & Review Thread (Keep it in here!)

What dvd concept is the best for the fans

• Best Of

• Anthology Volumes

• Create Your Own DVD through past shows and PPV's

• Keep it as is

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am an avid collector of the WWE dvds, and I agree with you to a point. The are definitely hit and miss. CM Punk dvd was actually the best one they put out in years, and the doc was excellent. Very insightful, and really took a look into Punk's life. The problem with the ones that you mentioned are they are dvd that have been released in some form before. The undertaker has 4 or 5 dvd, and the NWO had one before to. I think they try to milk to much out of one topic. Brock Lesner's new release was basically an extended re release of the same dvd. I think they need to give more dvds to guys that haven't had one yet, and put a lot more time into the documentaries. Check out CM Punk, and you will see what they can do when they put time into one.

Check out CM Punk, and you will see what they can do when they put time into one.

I will definitely consider it. Thanks for the information.

I also noticed a couple interesting edits they did with Taker's matches. For the first match against Kane, they edited out Kane's tombstoning of Pete Rose just before the match. And for the Undertaker vs Big Bossman match, they edited out Taker's hanging of Bossman via rope and the rising steel cage. My guess is for the latter they edited it out due to Bossman no longer being among the living, but that is only a guess.

Have they edited those parts before?

The biggest problem WWE has is themselves. They believe if they just put a DVD together whether it sucks or not it well sell 100,000 units. They have over analyzed "Best Of" without taking steps from DVD Insiders that those sell well but to max their profits should be a more organized set or number of sets with a certain theme. I think if WWE actually thought some DVD concepts out with trying to get past fans to make those purchases you would see a drastic improvement in sales. The other thing WWE should try to do and get other promotions to sign a non-compete clause and help those promotions with distribution. Imagine the CM Punk DVD with ROH matches. The one promotion that I think wouldn't participate would be TNA. WWE could easily be the #1 DVD distributor in Sports DVD's even more than what they have now. Expansion of their already large library isn't a bad thing but a very good thing!

I think everyone here knows I am not a proponent of "Best Of" Sets. When it comes to these forums I respect the WWE Loyalist POV and I also understand some fans just say the complete opposite just to piss some people off. If fans and the top WWE brass was to take a look at the real hard numbers they would understand "Best Of" doesn't get you maximized profits and its also a cheap way of a company to say we put out a WWE alternative DVD Sets just to shut up the detractors. If you have one or two volumes of the same themed DVD you can get an average of lets say 120,000 Units per volume. Take a look at the other side with the same themed DVD but have it as an anthology set into five parts and that will sell on average of 100,000 units per set. Doing the math "Best Of" sells 240,000 and the five part anthology set would sell 500,000. My question to fans regardless of your favorite promotion what anthology set would you like to see? Below are some of my ideas:

Starrcade
KOTR
Complete ECW PPV Set
RAW
Smackdown
Nitro
WCW Saturday Night
COTC
In Your House
Halloween Havoc
Every WHC Title Match
Every IC Title Match
Every WWE Title Match

I will tell you this. I would shell out a lot of money to own every episode of Monday Night Raw. Smackdown, not so much. I have found one thing that I actually disagree with you on. I would not spend money on watching every title match for any title. I respect that you would like to see it, but that isn't for me. I currently own all of the WWE anthologies except for Summerslam, and I think that is going to be my Xmas present to myself. I would love to see a Starrcade one and a Great American Bash one, along with every ECW ppv in one collection. I had read that they are going to put out a Best of IYH so it doesn't seem like they are going the anthology route anytime soon. You and I have talked about this at length, and right now I just wish they would finish the damn Survivor Series set. 97, 98, 99 are not even available in any other way but VHS so that is number one on my wish list for now.

I do think in alot of ways when it comes to WWE's DVD Biz they don't reach far enough. In some ways they are lazy and they figure no matter what they put out they will sell at least 100,000 Units. I also believe WWE doesn't totally respect the wrestling fans by just putting out a lackluster DVD calling it "Best Of". For WWE to be taking seriously as an entertainment company they must improve their DVD's. Editing certain stuff out that doesn't involve Benoit makes them very futile. Just about everyother entertainment company that distributes DVD's hardly edit anything out and with Blu-Ray they actually add more material for a quality price. WWE must understand the DVD Biz isn't about the company but about the archives,the historical importance of those archives, and most importantly the fan. I am not saying I am the smartest person in the room or putting myself on a pedestal but if I was in charge of these archives I could increase the sales within six months by 33%!

WWE can be hit and miss. And editing out Benoit matches that'd be good to use on comps is stupid. And WWE could put out a dvd of everyone farting and they'd think it was a winner.

I was just over at WWEDVDNews.com and they came up with a great set if WWE was to ever put it out. It was Ric Flair: The Diamond Collection so fans go check it out and then come back here and give your feedback and what you would add or remove from that fantasy concept. A few months ago they also came up with the idea of Halloween Havoc the Complete Anthology which I think would be great. Just with over 100,000 hours of footage in their archives most fans wish WWE would stop being lazy with their dvd ideas. If they want to be taken seriously as an entertainment company then be better than a "C" rated production company!

I have watched 2 wwe recently, raw 100 and wwe attitude both are farily new but I have noticed 2 things.

1) They include Owen hart in a few segments and even have current superstars mention his name
2) They stopped blurring out wwf logo's and blanking out when someone would say wwf.

Not sure whats with these changes but I gotta say I like it.

I think they reached some sort of agreement with the WWF that allows them to use that logo in old footage. It was ridiculous they they weren't allowed to use it on their old stuff before. I enjoyed the Attitude Era dvd more than Raw 100, but both were decent offerings. I hope they continue to not blur things out and edit up the dvds so much as it really does take away from what you are watching.

I have watched 2 wwe recently, raw 100 and wwe attitude both are farily new but I have noticed 2 things.

1) They include Owen hart in a few segments and even have current superstars mention his name
2) They stopped blurring out wwf logo's and blanking out when someone would say wwf.

Not sure whats with these changes but I gotta say I like it.

The WWF and WWE came to an agreement that the WWE can allow past footage to be uncensored. It's like you can use Attitude stuff without censoring, but Roddy Piper can't show up on TV today and say I am a member of the WWF.

That being said, there are still some weird blurs on RAW 100. They are very few and far between, but they are noticeable.

Best thing about RAW 100 on the Blu-ray is the Legends of Wrestling discussion on RAW. 90 minutes of fantastic insight, complete with one of the most disgusting Pat Patterson stories ever!

So, the E is going to release a top 25 rivalries DVD. I'm going to assume right here and now that they will call Austin vs McMahon number 1. I won't hate te choice. Personally, if it's a true list number 1 should be WWE/F vs JCP/NWA/WCW, and who knows given that Vince came out on top,he might do it. Apparently, this is not a WWE only DVD. There will be the obvious Austin/Rock, Cena/Orton, HHH/HBK, Taker/Kane, Cena/Edge, Flair/ Steamboat, Rock/Foley, Hardys/E&C/Dudleys etc, etc. Others that need to be there:

-Sting vs Vader: great matches and long lasting
-Sting vs Horsemen: years of great angles
-Dusty vs Horsemen: the anti horseman vs the horsemen
-Dreamer vs Raven: I'd like this to have its own DVD
-Rock and Roll Express vs Midnight Express: find matches and watch them,you'll understand
-Harts vs Bulldogs: this feud made me love tag team wrestling
-Hogan vs Heenan family: they were the main rival
-Flair vs Savage:at a time where the E and WCW largely ignored the existence of the other publically, this feud went from one company to the other.

What others would we like to see?

I think the best way to do this concept is make it into a series. Each DVD should have two WWE rivalries and then one non-WWE rivalry. Obviously the first dvd should have Austin/McMahon,Austin/Rock, and then Flair/Steamboat

Foley/Taker - This one deserves its own DVD

Savage/Hogan - This feud arguably never ended.. if Savage was still alive and Hogan could still go they'd probably still be verbally sparring and wanting a piece of one another.

WCW(Sting more-so)/nWo - Speaks for itself.

Sabu/Taz - Because it's my favorite feud between two guys that absolutely hated one another back in the day

Jerry Lawler/Bret Hart - I'd like to see footage from USWA where it all started with Hart playing the heel. I've heard about it but never seen it.

Jerry Lawler/Andy Kaufman - Why the hell not? It was big news when it went down.

I think the best way to do this concept is make it into a series. Each DVD should have two WWE rivalries and then one non-WWE rivalry. Obviously the first dvd should have Austin/McMahon,Austin/Rock, and then Flair/Steamboat

I always thought it would be great if they released something like that where they would show all the build for the whole rivalry. I would love to see every raw promo and what not leading up to a big match so I could get a better feel of what it would be like watching it at the time in context.

Rock vs. HHH.

Both men's WWF careers basically mirrored each others - they came up as mid-carders together, rose to the upper cards together, and then made it as main eventers together. They had real life friction, where both men were competing for the #2 spot in the company. They've had plenty of matches together, including a Ladder match at Summerslam 98 which tore down MSG. And when Austin was out in 2000, they took over from him and their feud defined 2000. Shawn could also be included in the DVD since from what I've heard, him and HHH tried to derail the rise of The Rock.

Some other feuds that come to mind but I know will never make it as DVD's are Bret Hart vs. Diesel, RVD vs. Jerry Lynn, and Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka.

HBK/Taker is a rivalry I would like to see on dvd. The stuff from the early feud was great. It was an intense feud then with HBK costing Taker the championship when he tried to hit Bret with a chair. Then add in all that went on in their two recent Mania matches and the build up leading to them, and I think it would be a great dvd set.

I hope they'll include at least one Divas feud in the top 25 feuds. Lita vs Trish would be a nice little feature, even if it is only an honorable mention. It sucks that they scrapped the Divas DVD for Mid South, it seems like they'll do anything to keep the Divas out of the product. Maybe they're just waiting for footage of Trish's HOF induction since she will most likely be #1, and that would be a nice add. Lita would hopefully be #2. That's all if they ever do eventually make the DVD.

Its clear VKM is out of touch with pop culture. There is no entertainment company that does "Best Of" seeing that customers like anthology sets. Despite what WWE loyalists along with WWE brass may think of other promotions that WWE has control of their archives those promotions have a strong fanbase of those archives. I believe if WWE either doesn't have the knowledge or are just afraid of JCP/WCW/ECW boxset possible success then WWE should release those sets exclusively on WWEShop.com. So fans of all promotions what boxsets would you like WWE to release for the fans seeing thats what it is all about? Do you fans think if WWE is skeptical of certain archival material for boxsets would they sell well if only on WWEShop.com?

Has anyone else watched The Best of Monday Nitro vol 2 yet? I have to say that even though they leave a lot out I enjoy the sets the release on WCW. it is very nostalgic to watch those old matches. This one had Goldberg's first win against Hugh Morris which was cool to see again. It featured Randy Savage quite a lot, and DDP, who hosted it again even told a story about him and Savage and payed tribute to him. I thought that was a classy move on DDP and WWE's part. The last Nitro title match between Steiner and Booker T is also on this one. What did anyone else who saw it think? Does anyone know of any plans to do a third one?

I don't see a third volume unless they sell at least 150,000 units. I would love for them to possibly do a "Best Of" JCP even if there are repeat matches from past DVD's

images

In one word, I can sum, up this DVD as being FANTASTIC.

Fourth walls constantly broken, no blurred-out WWF logos, no censorship when it comes to saying "WWF" or talking about behind-the-scenes occurrences... Plus, the countdown was very fair. While I didn't agree with the #1 choice 100%, I can understand why it was put on top by the WWE.

This is a long, comprehensive DVD that wasn't rushed or thrown together. It's obvious that the WWE wanted this DVD to be more than a fly-by-night, thrown-together piece of crap to make a quick buck. They took their time in every segment, provided great commentary from current, past, and other superstars from all walks of life. I was very satisfied with this DVD set.

With the future release of Top 25 Rivalries this DVD misses everything. It shouldn't even be a DVD because only having one match per rivalry doesn't do the rivalry any justice or historical importance. Out of the 25 perhaps 12-15 of those rivalries should have seperate DVD's to begin with. If you do the math and this DVD does 110,000 units then just imagine if you take the top 12-15 rivalries out of this set and have a seperate DVD and make 6-9 DVD's out of the top 12-15 at 100,000 units for each DVD thats how you make money off of the archives. Don't get me wrong I will buy this DVD but once again WWE is just too lazy to put max effort into a DVD project. I believe WWE just puts out these type of DVD's just to say they release some of the archives so the all around wrestling fan won't complain about certain promotions archives not being released

It is kind of weird too considering they have already released the HBK/Bret Hart rivalry disc set. I was of the understanding that they were going to keep releasing the sets in that fashion when all of a sudden they decide to release the top 25 rivalry's. It's almost as if they lose interest. Just like how they stopped releasing the Survivor Series Anthology set after volume 2. I usually enjoy all of the dvd releases, but I do think there are a lot of things they could do better, and the rivalry set is a good example of this.

Has anyone checked out Bret hart's Dungeon collection yet? I haven't been able to get out to get it yet, and wondered if it was a good buy? Does it really show some rare matches? Anyone have any feedback on this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back