Los Angeles Region, Fifth Round: (1) Road Warriors vs. (5) Steiner Brothers

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Road Warriors

• Steiner Brothers

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fifth round match in the Los Angeles Region. It's a standard tag team match held in the Staples Center.

staplescenter_0.jpg

Road-Warriors.jpg

1. Road Warriors

Vs.

steiner-brothersjpg-636349f82fafb121_large.jpg

5. Steiner Brothers

Vote for who you feel is the better team. The poll will be open for FIVE days starting approximately twenty four hours after this thread is posted. Use the time to argue and defend your choices. In the case of a tie, the team with more written votes will win. Only one vote per user.

Remember that this is a non-spam section and posts that do not meet our spam requirements will not count.

From what I can see, they wrestled one time... on WCW Nitro back in 1996... and the LOD had to cheat to beat them.

I'm so damn torn over this. With the Midnight Express gone, I'm really not invested as much anymore in this tournament. Make a case for one or the other, folks.

From what I can see, they wrestled one time... on WCW Nitro back in 1996... and the LOD had to cheat to beat them.

I'm so damn torn over this. With the Midnight Express gone, I'm really not invested as much anymore in this tournament. Make a case for one or the other, folks.

Actually, the first time that they fought in their primes was as part of the Ironman Tournament at Starrcade 1989, and the Steiners won that match in a kind of fluky, weird finish. It was a big misfire on the part of WCW at the time as they had the two dominant teams at a point where they were still REALLY good, and couldn't put them together in a decent program. To my mind, we never really got to see the match that everyone wanted to see.

IMO, this is a toss up, and I can see either team winning this match. My vote is for the Steiners. They can counter the Road Warriors primary advantage, which is strength and intensity, with their own. The Road Warriors have a disadvantage when it comes to the technical wrestling side, and the Steiners would capitalize on that.

Winners: The Steiners

I am going with The Steiners on this one. Rick would have no problem taking out Hawk. That would leave Scott vs Animal & it certainly would be a clash. Two very tough & very strong individuals meeting head on in a great battle. I give the edge to Scott because while Animal is strong, Scott is explosive with his freakish strength & has a huge advantage technically. The suplexes would come fast & furious.

A Doomsday Device on Rick gets broken up by Scotty, Hawk gets dumped on his head with a Steiner Screwdriver & Animal is toast. Both brothers work over Animal & one huge top rope bulldog later - this match is history.

Hawk was notorious for no selling piledrivers, so I can't help but believe he would no sell every other move that spiked him on his head, and the Steiners had plenty of those, especially later in their career when Scott became Botchmaster 9000. I'm gonna go with the LOD for that alone.

These two teams really should have met in the final in my opinion.

The Road Warriors were former bouncers. Their strength was primarily power & brawling. Kind of one dimensional in the ring.

The Steiner Brothers were athletes - NCAA Division 1 All Americans to be exact. Their strength was primarily wrestling. They were dynamic performers who could adapt to any style.

MMA has proven amateur wrestlers will dominate strikers. In a shoot The Steiner Brothers would have ate The Road Warriors up & tied them up like pretzels. In a work The Steiner Brothers I believe could more than hold their own against The Road Warriors main strengths. The Road Warriors best move is the Doomsday Device which is similar to the move which Rick Steiner proved he could counter to pick up the victory in the match below:

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=jymOv-wQCBQ[/YOUTUBE]

In the video below Scott Steiner says the Road Warriors were good guys but they couldn't wrestle never got rough with The Steiner Brothers.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=e-fdzBkw9s8[/YOUTUBE]

In The Road Warriors shoot interview were the only guys they trusted to do things to them off the top rope because they were strong enough to do so plus they only guys they would happily do a job for.

In Dan Spivey's shoot interview he talked about how he beat the living shit out of The Road Warriors with a steel chair for taking advantage of with his tag team partner "Mean" Mark Callous (The Undertaker). Dan Spivey in regards to The Steiner Brothers said that they would take him down, put him in holds, & laugh about it during battle royals.

I reckon the Steiner Brothers superior conditioning & more advanced arsenal (Frankensteiner, Steiner Screwdriver, Standing Moonsault Slam, Tilt A Whirl Slam, Standing Double Underhook Powerbomb, Tiger Driver, Pump Handle Slam, Reverse Powerslam, T-Bone Suplex, Dragon Suplex, Top Rope Overhead Belly To Belly Suplex, Super Samoan Drop, Steiner-Line/German Suplex combination, Electric Chair Top Rope DDT, Electric Chair Top Rope Diving Bulldog etc.) would be the key to victory.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=gdVY6y2HUbM[/YOUTUBE]

Winners: The Steiner Brothers

I'm going with The Steiner's here. They are probably the only team (except maybe Demolition) who can compete with the Road Warriors for pure strength.

However, I think Rick and Scott's amateur background and technical ability on top of their power gives them the advantage against The Road Warriors. This would be an incredibly hard-hitting match, with both teams dishing out and taking a hell of a lot of punishment, but I think the brothers from Michigan would just edge it due to their wider range of offense and speed.

In my opinion this SHOULD have been the final, I would put these 2 teams as probably the best 2 I have ever seen.

Here's a strange thing about the Road Warriors - when it comes to top rank belts, their record wasn't that strong (1 NWA World Title reign of 155 days; 2 WWF World Title reigns totaling 213 days). The Steiners are second only to the Minnesota Wrecking Crew for length of time holding the NWA/WCW belts (and that is ALL versions of the MWC) - 7 reigns and 520 days; although their record in the WWF wasn't just as good (2 reigns totaling 88 days). It should be noted though that they were only in the WWF for 16 months compared to the Warriors two two year stints.

As far as the better team, once the bell went - the Steiners were much more proficient. In fact, it needed teams like the Steiners to achieve great battles against the notoriously stiff, no selling duo. Rick and Scott had the ability to have a great match with anyone (although both had their own personality problems once they split the team up as Booker T and Perry Saturn would attest).

Kayfabe should also be on the Michigan boys side as the could match the Warriors physicality but could trump that with their technical superiority from their well known amateur background.

Steiner DDT for the win.

I'll go with The Steiner Brothers here. Both these teams like to throw people around and the Steiners are one of the few teams that can match power with LOD. The advantage goes to the Steiners when it comes to grappling and mat wrestling. Rick & Scott can neutralize LOD's power game which will allow them to move on to the finals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back