• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Latest Report States The Rock Wrestling At Wrestlemania Unlikely

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
As has been the case regarding The Rock's in-ring career since suffering a torn adductor during his match with John Cena at WrestleMania 29, there's once again a lot of doubt as to The Rock wrestling at WrestleMania XXXI next year.

A little while ago, a report came out providing some information on The Rock's schedule for 2015 and that a WM match seems unlikely. Fast & Furious 7 will be released 5 days after WrestleMania XXXI, so The Rock will be heavily promoting the film during the weeks leading up to its release. Since Paul Walker was killed in a car accident and this was the franchise that made him a star, Universal Studios is predicting this will be a big hit and surpass the $788 million Furious 6 made.

Given that The Rock has been paid a ton of money for his role, it's unlikely that the studio will be happy with him wrestling, thereby risking injury, thereby taking time off from the movie that the studio paid him 8 figures to star in less than a week before it comes out. While I'm not sure if the studio could come right out and forbid him from wresting legally, going against its wishes could result in his career hitting a wall. Maybe he wouldn't be considered for certain big money roles in future projects from the studio and other major studios could follow suit. The Rock's injuries suffered during his 2nd match with John Cena kept him from doing promotional work for the movie Pain & Gain. The Rock's fortunate that the film made $86 million on a $26 million budget, even though him missing some promotional work for the film may have had little impact on the numbers, it's possible that the studio could have used him as a scapegoat had the movie bombed.

Within the past few months, there were reports alleging that The Rock wrestling at the big show once again was more than likely with a rumor. Since The Rock's surprise return on Raw several weeks back and the teased confrontation backstage between him & Triple H, there were rumors that the two would have one final match against each other for WrestleMania XXXI. Since Vince's appearance this past Monday on Raw, there were rumors going about that WWE was going to with a power struggle storyline between Vince & The Authority that was originally going to happen for WrestleMania XXX, but was scrapped. The reports suggested that The Rock would ally with Vince in order to combat The Authority. However, various reports have come out since stating that Vince has no desire to appearing on television as a character with any degree of regularity, so it looks like this was nothing more than a rumor.

Well, call me relieved. I understand that people are probably going to comment that The Rock would be the biggest draw and make WWE all this money if he were to appear at Mania, but quite frankly speaking strictly as a fan, I don't care. I'm not the biggest Rock mark and I'm not the biggest Rock hater, but I've seen enough of The Rock in the past couple of years to quench my nostalgic thirst, and I don't have much interest in Rock/HHH or Rock/Lesnar this year as a headlining match. No real payoff right now.

At least (if the Rock doesn't indeed appear) WWE will HAVE to go through with putting a rising star against Lesnar (or Cena) in the main event for the WWEWHC. Whether this is Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, etc. at least we know SOMETHING will come out of Mania this year.

The Rock v HHH at mainia would be good as these 2 should have had more than just the one match at the show of shows, (mainia 16 as part of a 4 way is the only time i beleive they fought), its been a long time coming and would be i nice end to a feud thats a good 17 years old, they came up together maybe both should bow out together

However, Rock vs anyone else wouldnt appeal to me as theres no story and no time to build a feud with anyone on the roster (thank you hollywood) apart from Brock which would leave our options as A. rock get beaten the snot out of, or B rock somehow wins and we get another part time champ NO THANK YOU

They fought a hundred times nothing but recycled matches and repeated matches I don t want to see Rock/HHH I want to see ROCK/LESNER 2 and HHH/STINK for WM31

Rock vs Sting would be a bigger draw than Rock vs HHH or Lesnar. With the Network going as is, what says the Rock needs to be at Wrestlemania? It seems like WWE can use a big draw at any PPV event during the whole year since any draw is potential new customers, Wrestlemania 31 will draw the usual like it always does, the event doesn't need the Rock to make it any bigger.

And IMO the Rock taints the "road to WM".

Id have Rock at mainia for 2 reasons that are not to do with ppv sales

1 he aint getting any younger and it would be sad to see him at mainia 33 or later when he cant bring his A game anymore

2. The Rock is one of the top performers to have ever graced mainia, above all else i like to see good matches and the Rock does good matches, his last 2 mainia matches with Cena were both well storied and well executed, the man made Cena look great so lets have the Rock do his thing one more time as he would get a good match out of HHH, Brock, Reigns, or even Orton (if he brought back his legend killer gig)

To be honest, The Rock should just do whatever he wants to do, if he wants to wrestle at WrestleMania and the movie studio's don't like, then they can just take their movie deal, lube it up real good, TURN THAT SUMBITCH SIDEWAYS AND STICK IT STRAIGHT UP AAAAAAAALL THEIR CANDY ASSES!

Rock vs Sting would be a bigger draw than Rock vs HHH or Lesnar. With the Network going as is, what says the Rock needs to be at Wrestlemania? It seems like WWE can use a big draw at any PPV event during the whole year since any draw is potential new customers, Wrestlemania 31 will draw the usual like it always does, the event doesn't need the Rock to make it any bigger.

And IMO the Rock taints the "road to WM".

Great idea but its over 10 years too late and i cant see either guy wanting to be the loser on the grand stage

Sting was quality in wcw, but that was 15 years ago, his TNA stuff went down hill pretty rapidly so is he really gonna impress us in WWE in 2014/15
He would generate massive PPV sales but do we want to suffer the disappointment of Sting failing to live up to our glorious memories of him

I could be wrong but i cant see him ever wrestling in WWE especially against WWE's golden boy

Rock vs Sting a bigger draw than Rock vs Brock? That is absolute nonsense.

Rock vs Brock has MAINSTREAM APPEAL. Even if people dont know who Brock is they will still be enticed to see Hollywoods golden boy go up against a legit fighter in former UFC Champ Brock Lesnar. It markets itself and sells itself.

If people don't know who Sting is how do you sell the match? Oh he is some WCW wrestler from a cazillion years ago. He is now 55, out of shape and going bald. Did I mention he wrestles in a t-shirt and face paint?

As always, I give Rock all the credit in the world for coming back and performing in the ring. It must be a labor of love because it sure isn't about money; he probably sacrifices income if he turns down a movie role to wrestle.

Still, would anyone actually have expected Rock to sign up for a 2-year plan and perform for WWE? I sure wouldn't....and figured that after the Rock-Cena matches, his in-ring career would be finished, a fine point placed on it by this terrific series.

Okay, now people are talking about him doing it once more. Again, if he does, it's because he wants to, not because he needs to. If he wants to treat the fans to something many of us never thought we'd see after he retired, that's great. If he wants to appear at a WWE event but not wrestle....like last year....that's great, too.

I'll tell you, though....both years that he wrestled Cena, this forum had tons of posts about the plans folks had for Rock to, effectively, return full-time and be a wrestler instead of a movie star. Other forum members disabused them of this, pointing out that the guy isn't getting any younger....and since he had already achieved his dream of being a movie star, there was no chance he was going back to pro wrestling.

That he treats us to his presence once is a while is a tribute to a man who hasn't forgotten where he came from.....and realizes that without Rock the wrestler, there would be no Rock the movie star.

I'm not surprised. Fast and Furious 7 is a big deal. They can't afford to screw that up.

I'm hoping WWE has a backup plan like Taker vs. Sting to join the other rumored main events (Rusev/Cena, Reigns/Lesnar) just to attract the casual fans. Otherwise it'll be a lot of pressure on Reigns/Lesnar

Rock vs Sting a bigger draw than Rock vs Brock? That is absolute nonsense.

Rock vs Brock has MAINSTREAM APPEAL. Even if people dont know who Brock is they will still be enticed to see Hollywoods golden boy go up against a legit fighter in former UFC Champ Brock Lesnar. It markets itself and sells itself.

If people don't know who Sting is how do you sell the match? Oh he is some WCW wrestler from a cazillion years ago. He is now 55, out of shape and going bald. Did I mention he wrestles in a t-shirt and face paint?

Recent buys provide strong evidence that Lesnar's drawing power is gone. Sting's sole WWE match against Rock would, in my opinion, draw bigger than Rock vs. Brock.

Sting ain't out of shape anymore. The paint is kinda his gimmick and the hair thinning... it happens. Some extra-hold gel should keep it pinned back for 15 minutes.

Recent buys provide strong evidence that Lesnar's drawing power is gone. Sting's sole WWE match against Rock would, in my opinion, draw bigger than Rock vs. Brock.

What buys? To say drawing power has gone you have to make comparisons, so I'm curious as to what buys you're comparing with each other.

Sting ain't out of shape anymore. The paint is kinda his gimmick and the hair thinning... it happens. Some extra-hold gel should keep it pinned back for 15 minutes.

Recent buys? Please provide evidence and dont forget to add network subscriptions to your numbers. Lesnar is the champ and has walked off with the belt, he is a draw.

Sting did nothing for TNA and while it would bring in nostalgic fans, it adds nothing to the mainstream appeal.

The main point is the Rock doesn't need the WWE anymore, but they need him apparently.

He loves wrestling and given the fact that even although he's a certified Hollywood A lister, he still comes back to the place that made him famous, the WWE ring. I don't expect to see him at Mania this year in a match, maybe a promo like last year. He doesn't need to wrestle anymore, he's moved on and so should the WWE. And to a certain extent so should some of the fans.

I would love to see him at Mania against his cousin Roman Reigns, but sadly I don't think that will ever happen. But I do believe that if Reigns needed him he would come back for one last match.

The Rock has given us years of entertainment, and still is, except this time it's on the big screen not in the ring. I'm happy with that.

I hope he doesn't wrestle. I know WWE wants to bring in the big names to push WM, but I really would like to see a WM with almost no part timers, if any. I do understand the business of it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back