Justin LaBar is what is hurting wrestling

DirtyJosé

Best angle of all: retirement
-I'm allowed to play a heel gimmick by night and expose the business by day, but fuck the guys that go have a smoke after the show.

-I was allowed backstage because of good breeding, but all these other people backstage are ruining the product somehow. Likewise, I'm allowed to be a part of the industry because I'm special, but these fans trying to get into a business they love and want to be a part of are hurting things.

-I see nothing wrong in being a part of the machine which cannibalizes itself in the interest of generating page views and driving up ad revenue, regardless of the quality of content (or lack therof) but wrestlers following each other on Twitter is going to eat the business alive.

Seriously, fuck Justin LaBar.

He sounds like a privileged whine ass.

What he wrote pretty much sums up to "I'm special and if anyone else does the things I do then I feel less special."

The line of "you shouldn't analyze it if you've never participated in it" is an old standard and it has never once worked for me.

Take me for example. I've never participated in wrestling, but I'd be glad to prove my knowledge or grasp of wrestling to anyone. Of course I'm not on the level of someone involved, but someone who works the indies is hardly some kind of an insightful genius.

He does mention in comments regarding fans wanting to get in that there is a right way and a wrong way. This I do agree with, but I'm curious why he feels it is so detrimental to the business. And isn't it possible that one could reach back to said fans and say "hey, if you really really really want to get it, come set-up and take down shows for us for a while and we'll see where you go from there."

DirtyJosé;4959731 said:
He does mention in comments regarding fans wanting to get in that there is a right way and a wrong way. This I do agree with, but I'm curious why he feels it is so detrimental to the business. And isn't it possible that one could reach back to said fans and say "hey, if you really really really want to get it, come set-up and take down shows for us for a while and we'll see where you go from there."

Isn't that pretty much how Mikey Whipwreck got hired into ECW?

That article annoyed me too and I'm more of a Labar supporter than most on here. For one he jumped around quite a bit in the article, but secondly he seemed incredibly prideful of his position.

Yep. Same with Teddy Long. Eric Bischoff went from working behind the scenes to being an interviewer because he wore a tie to work that day.

Oh wait I shouldn't answer those questions as I've never worked in wrestling.

What good is a magic show if everyone gets to go downstairs and learn how the illusion is pulled off?

It was that line in particular that I couldn't believe. He's complaining about people exposing the business in an article where he exposes the business. Am I missing something here? Is this actually satire, not meant to be taken seriously?

And to make things worse, he's name dropping Matt Hardy and Bruce Pritchard, just to show to everyone that he does know what he's talking about.

Isenberg and LaBar are both morons. One of the men I respect most in all of wrestling is Dean Ambrose, because he did a shoot when he was still Jon Moxley, talking about how fucking stupid it is when "the boys" have these big, long chats about "what's wrong with the business." Well, I think it's even more fucking stupid when the one talking about what's wrong with the business is someone who thinks he's the shit because he's a been booked as a heel manager a few times, and can name drop wrestlers.

It was that line in particular that I couldn't believe. He's complaining about people exposing the business in an article where he exposes the business.

He writes for Wrestlezone, he has no right to complain about people exposing the business.

The line of "you shouldn't analyze it if you've never participated in it" is an old standard and it has never once worked for me.

Take me for example. I've never participated in wrestling, but I'd be glad to prove my knowledge or grasp of wrestling to anyone. Of course I'm not on the level of someone involved, but someone who works the indies is hardly some kind of an insightful genius.

Given the most successful wrestling promoter in history never laced his boots until the 90s, that statement is clearly bullshit.

Here's an example from here on the forums: D-Man.

If I remember right, he said he once dabbled in wrestling and was trained by a wrestler named Kevin Knight. Knight has also trained people like Darren Young and Robbie E., meaning he's certainly someone who knows what he's doing. D-Man has actual wrestling experience. It certainly isn't at a high level, but he's far beyond what the majority of us have ever done.

Did you know that about him? Most likely not as I only remember him mentioning it once or twice on here. Why would he only mention it a few times? My guess would be because he didn't want to come off like a pretentious pest who thought a few indy appearances made him something better than the rest of us. D-Man earned the reputation he had here because he was smart and well read in wrestling, not because he was trained by a guy who has trained mainstream wrestlers. LaBar working with Matt Hardy doesn't make him a wrestling mind. It makes him a guy who is lucky enough to work with Matt Hardy.

So I guess this guy dislikes Paul Heyman considering how he broke in to the business. Because, you know, following your dream & is ruining everything. I guess by his logic that wrestlers should not be seen hanging out at charity events & things like that either because it erases the mystique of the heel\face dynamic.

Yep. Same with Teddy Long. Eric Bischoff went from working behind the scenes to being an interviewer because he wore a tie to work that day.

And because of his work as a fan of the business trying to share that interest with others, one Vince Russo was hired on at WWE.

Hm. Maybe not the best example for my argument.

For one he jumped around quite a bit in the article, but secondly he seemed incredibly prideful of his position.

I didn't notice it until I read it a second time for the purposes of this thread, but he seems very defensive. It's like half of the article was more about justifying his position than it was about the problems facing the industry today.

It was that line in particular that I couldn't believe. He's complaining about people exposing the business in an article where he exposes the business. Am I missing something here? Is this actually satire, not meant to be taken seriously?

Well, I did find it on the WZ front page...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back