• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Join the WZ Master Debator League

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Press Release: As seen yesterday in the columns lounge.

Monday, June 30th 2008
Master Debator to assume league format!

As of today, the Master Debator thread is being transformed into a league format. In this league, winning will matter, and we will be able to determine who is truly WZ's "Master Debator."

Two debators will be randomly set up by the debate commissioner (that's me) and a topic will be set. The "home team" will choose which side of the issue they will debate, while the "road team" will get to debate second. The debator who goes first will make his or her opening post, followed by the second participant who will be able to make an opening post AND a rebuttle. The first poster will respond to that post, and the second poster will rebutt once more, and make a closing statement. 4 posts per debate. The set up is similar to a "debators court" where the issue is on trial, and each debator acts as a lawyer, presenting evidence and making arguments. Obviously, going second is advantageous because you get to make two responses and get the last word, but that also means you have to debate whichever side your opponent does not choose.

At that time, a vote will occur during which anyone who did not participate in the debate may vote on the winner. Standings will be kept in an excel sheet, with three points for a win and one point for a tie. A point is lost if you lose the debate. Whomever holds the top spot will be considered WZ's "Master Debator" until somebody knocks them off!

As of now, the league consists of the following posters: DJ Supreme, Monkey Mania, Slim Pickins, HBK-aholic, and Polley:wanna_cracker. I am looking for anyone else who is interested in joining the league. To join up, please either post here (after you are added, the post will be deleted) or PM me.

Regards,
Irish-Canadian25
WZ Master Debator League Commissioner

I am posting this here as a call to arms for some of our new posters as well as bar room regulars to join the debate league. I have 7 people signed up as of now, and I am seeking several more. Please let me know if you are interested, but bear in mind, when scheduled to debate you will be expected to post. I am truly hoping to have some activity here.

IC25

No offense, but I think you should change the format of the league. Instead of the decision go by popular vote (where popular members and popular sides will always prevail) you should find judges instead.

Just some friendly advice.

No offense, but I think you should change the format of the league. Instead of the decision go by popular vote (where popular members and popular sides will always prevail) you should find judges instead.

Not a bad idea, I will certainly take that into consideration.

Not a bad idea, I will certainly take that into consideration.
LOL, that sounded like the patronizing statement to a child, when you really don't care, but you don't want to put them off.

Not that it was, or that I would care if it was, just thought it was funny.

Just some friendly advice.

I like this idea a lot.

LOL, that sounded like the patronizing statement to a child, when you really don't care, but you don't want to put them off.

Not that it was, or that I would care if it was, just thought it was funny.

It's my banal corporate drivel. I am at work right now, so I have Human Resources on the brain. I mean I will seriously think about that.

Is it all going to be about wrestling. As a wrestling fan of 2 years I will admit that I am not the most knowledgable on that subject, though I have done research. I'd probably be better at a wider variety of topics.

Is it all going to be about wrestling. As a wrestling fan of 2 years I will admit that I am not the most knowledgable on that subject, though I have done research. I'd probably be better at a wider variety of topics.

It's supposed to be just wrestling. I may run a "wild card" debate to heat up the other sections, like a music or film debate, but it will be mostly wrestling.

Thank you Monkey, I think the first topic should be "Is Monkey a 10 on the Cool Scale?" I think the negative would be screwed from the beginning as we all know you are at least a eleven. See I can debate me good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back