• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

January Transfers

MrAnderson123

Occasional Pre-Show
I know this website is used in the US more than it is in the UK, but in England, the Football leagues (soccer for the Americans) is doing the annual 'January Transfers'.

All I want to know is who would you like to see where playing football? :D

Personally, as a Celtic fan, I'll be more than happy if Juventus lose some of their best players and don't sign anyone in return. Not least Didier Drogba.

In terms of general transfer dealings, I would like to see Celtic have a little more ambition when it comes to the January transfer market. Given that we are playing Juventus rather soon, we are going to need to strengthen some key areas in the squad. I definitely think that we need a good center-back but I don't think that is likely to happen. I had thoughts of perhaps getting in someone like Joleon Lescott who isn't getting a game at City but then realized that he'll be cup tied.

Honestly, as long as we give it ago and at least try and get past Juventus with the squad we've got, then I don't see the need for much money to be spent.

Realistically, it would be incredible if someone like Falcao or Cavani were to move in this window but i will will probably have to wait to the summer.

Apparently Arsenal have a large budget so if they were to buy a world class striker and center mid it would really add to the EPL. Perhaps Cavani could be tempted and M'villa seems to be on his way out of Rennes.

Realistically, it would be incredible if someone like Falcao or Cavani were to move in this window but i will will probably have to wait to the summer.

Apparently Arsenal have a large budget so if they were to buy a world class striker and center mid it would really add to the EPL. Perhaps Cavani could be tempted and M'villa seems to be on his way out of Rennes.

M'Villa has been heavily linked with QPR, by the looks of it I think Arsene Wenger has decided that he isn't worth the risk so he'll probably go for some QPR money.

I can't really see any big Transfers happening in January this year, the only way I see it happening is if City lose more ground on United then they might go out and panic buy. Wenger doesn't have the balls to go out and spend £20-£30 million on a player even if he does have the cash.

Me being a united fan I am pleased that SAF allowed Henriquez to go out on loan, this brings nothing but positives. Henriquez gets first team football and learns more, if it is as successful as Tom Cleverly's loan it will only be a matter of time before the young man from Chile become a deadly striker and possibly one of the deadliest in Europe. I'm also interested in the apparent bids that united have put in for Crystal Palaces Wilfred Zaha, I'm just thinking do we really need winger?

Me being a united fan I am pleased that SAF allowed Henriquez to go out on loan, this brings nothing but positives. Henriquez gets first team football and learns more, if it is as successful as Tom Cleverly's loan it will only be a matter of time before the young man from Chile become a deadly striker and possibly one of the deadliest in Europe. I'm also interested in the apparent bids that united have put in for Crystal Palaces Wilfred Zaha, I'm just thinking do we really need winger?

Also a United fan :D

Henriquez loan spell will do wonders on him.
I've said this numerous times to friends that United doesn't need a new winger. Or anymore midlfield players for that fact. Look at the players we have already. Cleverly, Valencia, Giggs, Scholes, Kagawa, Phil Jones (now that he's been moved up for some reason) ect.
Zaha is a strange one for me. Where will he play? Up front? Where Rooney plays? I don't know. If I was there, I'd buy a new goal keeper as De Gea is on about moving back to Spain. But Fergie is eyeing up goalies like Julio Cesar and older goalies. If he went for Minoluet from Sunderland or Begavic from Southampton, that would be brillaint. Those two are world class keepers. De Gea has been kind of a letdown for United for some games.

I've said this numerous times to friends that United doesn't need a new winger. Or anymore midlfield players for that fact. Look at the players we have already. Cleverly, Valencia, Giggs, Scholes, Kagawa, Phil Jones (now that he's been moved up for some reason) ect.
Zaha is a strange one for me. Where will he play? Up front? Where Rooney plays? I don't know. If I was there, I'd buy a new goal keeper as De Gea is on about moving back to Spain. But Fergie is eyeing up goalies like Julio Cesar and older goalies. If he went for Minoluet from Sunderland or Begavic from Southampton, that would be brillaint. Those two are world class keepers. De Gea has been kind of a letdown for United for some games.

Giggs and Scholes have got to be in their last year. SAF isn't daft. He knows that new, young anD British players is where the core of his next team will be. Smalling, Jones, Cleverly, Welbeck, Rooney and now Zaha. Not one of those players would get into a world XI but it is a good core. Than the expensive and perhaps more talented foreigners come in.

United surely need a new CM. I get Carrick and Cleverly have been good this season but Spurs, Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Chelsea all have 2/3 Center mids better than those two.

De Gea deserves until the summer. Gary Neville said all he needs is a championship and this may be the year. If he doesn't improve after this year than get rid. Jack Butand would be a good option.

Giggs and Scholes have got to be in their last year. SAF isn't daft. He knows that new, young anD British players is where the core of his next team will be. Smalling, Jones, Cleverly, Welbeck, Rooney and now Zaha. Not one of those players would get into a world XI but it is a good core. Than the expensive and perhaps more talented foreigners come in.

United surely need a new CM. I get Carrick and Cleverly have been good this season but Spurs, Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Chelsea all have 2/3 Center mids better than those two.

De Gea deserves until the summer. Gary Neville said all he needs is a championship and this may be the year. If he doesn't improve after this year than get rid. Jack Butand would be a good option.

Jack Buttland isn't that good. Seen him play. He will be as good as Joe Hart, but not for atleast another 4 years.

Untied do need another CM. Just not till the summer transfer season starts. They don't need a huge team. It's big enough as it is.

As for up front, I've figured this out. Rooney plays in CAM position, while V.Persie and Hernandez plays up front. Them 2 up front are deadly.

if it is as successful as Tom Cleverly's loan it will only be a matter of time before the young man from Chile become a deadly striker and possibly one of the deadliest in Europe.
Jesus, i get fans being excited by a young player but the guys done nothing yet. Surely after the failure that was Macheda united fans should calm down in declaring someone the next big thing.

If he went for Minoluet from Sunderland or Begavic from Southampton, that would be brillaint. Those two are world class keepers.
Mignolet and Begovic world class? Jesus Christ.
They're good keepers at best. Begovic looks good because he plays in a stoke team that is set out to defend. Neither of them are even as good as Dea Gea is currently. If you want world class look at Buffon, Casillas, Akinfeev or Ter Stegen not Simon fucking Mignolet :lmao:

Yeah sell the young keeper this summer that cost 17 million two years ago that makes sense. I honestly don't get all this De Gea hate and im a Liverpool fan. Most keepers don't reach their peak until the age of 30, he's not a world class goalkeeper at the moment but with time he can be. I'd attribute the goals United have conceded this season more to their dodgy midfield, the loss of form from Evra and Jones, and Vidic being injured the last while.
And Jack Butland a typical example of the English media overhyping it's players. The guy's had one season in the championship with a Birmingham team stuggling in the bottom end of the championship, and you want United to sign him next season. :lmao:
He's light years behind other young keepers in europe like De Gea, szczesny, courtois, ter stegen and mihaylov, two games with Butland in goal and United fans would trade their own mothers to have De Gea back.

Mignolet and Begovic world class? Jesus Christ.
They're good keepers at best. Begovic looks good because he plays in a stoke team that is set out to defend. Neither of them are even as good as Dea Gea is currently. If you want world class look at Buffon, Casillas, Akinfeev or Ter Stegen not Simon fucking Mignolet :lmao:

I'm sorry, but your laughter.. I don't understand.
Buffon is like 40. Casillas is getting on now. Simon Mignolet is incredible. Go onto Youtube. Type in his name and watch his saves. He's probably at least in the top 8 in the premier league right now.

I'm sorry, but your laughter.. I don't understand.
Buffon is like 40. Casillas is getting on now. Simon Mignolet is incredible. Go onto Youtube. Type in his name and watch his saves. He's probably at least in the top 8 in the premier league right now.

The laughter was because you're comment was that stupid it did actually make me laugh. Much like the one you just made now.

Buffon is 35 the same age Van Der Sar was when he signed for United, he recently won Serie A goalkeeper of the year after helping Juventus go the whole league season without losing a game and keeping 21 clean sheets in the process, but no you're right Mignolet is much better. :lmao:
Casillas is 31 meaning he's got 10 years left as a goalkeeper id hardly call that "getting on".

I actually can't believe you're trying to argue a case for Mignolet, he's not even the best goalkeeper in Belgium, Courtois is. I wouldn't call him top 8 in the premier league right now i can name about 12-13 goalkeepers that are easily better then him. Even if he was the 8th best keeper in the premier league why the fuck should United sign him if there's going to be 7 better goalkeepers in the same league, hardly the type of standards a club competing for the champions league should be setting, but then again i am arguing with an idiot who thinks Simon Mignolet is a great goalkeeper.

Ahh you're using youtube videos to back up your claims why am i not surprised. At the end of the day any player can look "incredible" in a youtube video when it only shows one 5 second moment in a 90 minute match, the videos don't contain any of the mistakes they make just that one time in a game they may have done something that looked good.

I mean here's a video of David N'gog's best bits he must be good right??
[YOUTUBE]Orivd4CiCH8[/YOUTUBE]

This Bebe guy must be world class i mean just look at his youtube video.
[YOUTUBE]SZrOYHIDkws[/YOUTUBE]

And just in case there's any doubt over weather Mignolet is "Incredible"
[YOUTUBE]z_hKTiiQiPA[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]6l6zlOiAvJ8[/YOUTUBE]

January Transfers, we've just past two months after deadline day, who has had the biggest impact for their new team? (In the Premier League)

For my team, Liverpool FC, Daniel Sturridge and Phillipe Coutinho were brought in. Two transfers that had me really excited, and two transfers that have already shown signs of paying off. Coutinho has been wonderful, Sturridge has already given us goals against Manchester City and United. Injury has been a worry for Sturridge, but hopefully when he is fit he can have a common impact on our games.

Naturally, by allegiance and honest opinion I'll say Coutinho and Sturridge (mainly Coutinho in my opinion) have had the biggest impacts on their respective teams. Both are young which is exciting, and shows that we are building for the future (which has been happening for quite some time now.)

Who has been the best signing so far? Do you see said signing being successful in the long term.

January Transfers, we've just past two months after deadline day, who has had the biggest impact for their new team? (In the Premier League)

For my team, Liverpool FC, Daniel Sturridge and Phillipe Coutinho were brought in. Two transfers that had me really excited, and two transfers that have already shown signs of paying off. Coutinho has been wonderful, Sturridge has already given us goals against Manchester City and United. Injury has been a worry for Sturridge, but hopefully when he is fit he can have a common impact on our games.

Naturally, by allegiance and honest opinion I'll say Coutinho and Sturridge (mainly Coutinho in my opinion) have had the biggest impacts on their respective teams. Both are young which is exciting, and shows that we are building for the future (which has been happening for quite some time now.)

Who has been the best signing so far? Do you see said signing being successful in the long term.

Coutinho has been good and will only improve. He is still young and has potential to be a top player. I love were he plays. Left wing but coming inside.

Sissiko for Newcastle has been an exceptional signing and a bargain. I can see Newcastle building a team around him but bigger teams may come calling. I think that Remy for QPR was so close to being signing of the season. At 100k a weak made me cynical but he has scored 5 goals and a bit of luck and decent defending QPR would have a great chance of staying up.

You said EPL but I support Hearts and Liverpool sent us Danny Wilson and Michael Ngoo on loan. Wilson has been good and is out of contract at the end of the season. Hopefully, he will sign for us. Ngoo has done well. Up and down but he is only 20 years old. Scored some important goals for us and ran his heart out.

Coutinho has been good and will only improve. He is still young and has potential to be a top player. I love were he plays. Left wing but coming inside.

Sissiko for Newcastle has been an exceptional signing and a bargain. I can see Newcastle building a team around him but bigger teams may come calling. I think that Remy for QPR was so close to being signing of the season. At 100k a weak made me cynical but he has scored 5 goals and a bit of luck and decent defending QPR would have a great chance of staying up.

You said EPL but I support Hearts and Liverpool sent us Danny Wilson and Michael Ngoo on loan. Wilson has been good and is out of contract at the end of the season. Hopefully, he will sign for us. Ngoo has done well. Up and down but he is only 20 years old. Scored some important goals for us and ran his heart out.

I have been following the progress of the two and I have to say I'm not only impressed with the players form, but the way Hearts have used the two! I am hearing that Wilson is likely to sign for Hearts, but don't take my word. As a young free agent he could be heading anywhere.

Sissoko has been class for Newcastle, as has Remy for QPR, but if the R's go down, Remy will definitely not be there for the long run.

I think that Remy for QPR was so close to being signing of the season. At 100k a weak made me cynical but he has scored 5 goals and a bit of luck and decent defending QPR would have a great chance of staying up.

That's some great criteria you have there for deciding who was almost signing of the season. Wow 5 goals fuck me that's impressive :lmao:
Let's just disregard that fact that QPR are no closer to avoiding relegation then they were before they signed Remy and that fact that he's getting 100 grand a week.

Signing of the season has been RVP by a country mile, he's scored 19 league goals this season, many of them were the difference between united drawing and united grinding out a win.
Loic Remy almost signing of the season, you numpty :lmao:

That's some great criteria you have there for deciding who was almost signing of the season. Wow 5 goals fuck me that's impressive :lmao:
Let's just disregard that fact that QPR are no closer to avoiding relegation then they were before they signed Remy and that fact that he's getting 100 grand a week.

Signing of the season has been RVP by a country mile, he's scored 19 league goals this season, many of them were the difference between united drawing and united grinding out a win.
Loic Remy almost signing of the season, you numpty :lmao:

5 goals in 8 matches is pretty good for a team at the bottom of the table. If Maloney doesn't score that free-kick and they defend better against Fulham they would be equal to the teams above and have a real good chance of staying up. If those things happen, I would say he is only behind RVP for signing of the season. They didn't so RVP is signing of the season. Michu, Cazorla and Vertonghen get honurable mentions.

5 goals in 8 matches is pretty good for a team at the bottom of the table. If Maloney doesn't score that free-kick and they defend better against Fulham they would be equal to the teams above and have a real good chance of staying up. If those things happen, I would say he is only behind RVP for signing of the season. They didn't so RVP is signing of the season. Michu, Cazorla and Vertonghen get honurable mentions.
Remy over the names you listed after? :lmao:
Benteke of Villa shit all over Remy in terms of impact and importance.

I would rank signing of the season as
1. RVP
2. Michu
3. Benteke

If going by only Jan signings then Remy might have a shot but I would put all of Newcastle's French league signing over Remy because they got the job done while Remy's QPR were no better than before he arrived. Funny he could have been part of that French contingent if not for the $$$ offered by Harry "best mates with the media' Rednapp. :lmao:

Remy over the names you listed after? :lmao:
Benteke of Villa shit all over Remy in terms of impact and importance.

I would rank signing of the season as
1. RVP
2. Michu
3. Benteke

If going by only Jan signings then Remy might have a shot but I would put all of Newcastle's French league signing over Remy because they got the job done while Remy's QPR were no better than before he arrived. Funny he could have been part of that French contingent if not for the $$$ offered by Harry "best mates with the media' Rednapp. :lmao:

Benteke has been superb. I know he has only scored 5 goals but without Remy QPR would have been relegated by now. Zamora, Johnson or Mackie would not have scored any of his goals. If the aforementioned factors had happened than I think he is easily the best January signing and top 5 for the entire season.

Benteke has been superb. I know he has only scored 5 goals but without Remy QPR would have been relegated by now. Zamora, Johnson or Mackie would not have scored any of his goals. If the aforementioned factors had happened than I think he is easily the best January signing and top 5 for the entire season.

Until he save QPR from relegation he can't even be considered as the best January signing. Sissoko for Newcastle is definitely my pick for Jan signing.

As for top 5 of the season? :lmao:

I can list 10 better signings probably.

[YOUTUBE]By72eQtjglM[/YOUTUBE]
5 goals in 8 matches is pretty good for a team at the bottom of the table.
And if you look at the team 4 places above them "Aston Villa" you will see that Benteke playing in a team almost as hopeless as QPR has managed 15 goals this season and i can guarantee hes not making 100 grand a week, frankly id be surprised if hes getting half that.

If Maloney doesn't score that free-kick and they defend better against Fulham they would be equal to the teams above and have a real good chance of staying up. If those things happen, I would say he is only behind RVP for signing of the season.
What has that got to do with Remy? Should we praise other strikers because the teams they play in happen to concede goals. Hey ive got a great idea let's give Augero a premier league medal! If City defended better against Everton and Southampton they would have a real good chance of winning the league.
Fact is QPR were 5 points from safety before Remy joined, 5 goals later and they are now 6 points from safety, making Remy's contribution pointless.

They didn't so RVP is signing of the season. Michu, Cazorla and Vertonghen get honurable mentions.
Id love to know how Michu, who cost 5 million less then Remy and is earning about 70 grand a week less then Remy and has scored 12 more goals then Remy this season isn't considered a better signing.
Cazorla, Benteke, Michu, Vertonghen, Podolski, Julio Cesar, De Guzman, Dembele, Claudio Yacob and Romelu Lukaku, ten better signings then Remy this season, i can't wait to hear why Remy has proved better value for money for Qpr this season. :lmao:

The point about Maloney was because QPR were literally seconds away from having a chance to stay up. I know that is football but they, and Remy, were so close. I'm saying that IF Wigan didn't score the free-kick and Samba didn't have an absolute shocker against Fulham, QPR would probably stay up. Perhaps at the expense of Villa and Benteke. Remy has arrived in the Prem, scored 5 goals and given his team a chance to stay up and all the obvious benefits that entails.

Obviously Michu as had a better season than Remy. However, I think that Swansea have shown they have quality elsewhere that would cope without. They would still have finished in a respectable position. That is nothing compared the Remy could have had on QPR.

I exaggerated the top 5 of the entire season but it could have been different. Remy's performances have been decent - his goals valuable - if QPR stayed up than he would have been an incredible signing. That is what I was implying- a hypothetical situation that was very close to being a reality, that if Maloney didn't score, QPR would have a very good chance of staying up. IF QPR stayed up than he would have been a very very good signing.

Just admit your judgement/opinion was way off the mark and move on instead of trying to justify it. I don't even think Remy was the better Jan signing for QPR over Townsend.

IFs and hypotheticals don't matter when judging the value of the signing. You can make the case about the ability or talent or even the value of the player, but only results matter when judging the short term value of the signings we are doing here. Maybe all the players listed here suffer a drop in form next year and become utter crap and Remy go on score like Messi but we don't care about that in the here and now.

The point about Maloney was because QPR were literally seconds away from having a chance to stay up. I know that is football but they, and Remy, were so close. I'm saying that IF Wigan didn't score the free-kick and Samba didn't have an absolute shocker against Fulham, QPR would probably stay up.
And my point is that Remy shouldn't be praised because another footballer had the cheek to do what he was being paid to do a score a goal.
You do realise QPR have 6 games left and 4 of them are against Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle. So even IF those things happened QPR would still go down.

Remy has arrived in the Prem, scored 5 goals and given his team a chance to stay up and all the obvious benefits that entails.
Even though since he arrived QPR are a point further away from survival then they were when he arrived and like i mentioned above they have 4 unwinnable games coming up.

Obviously Michu as had a better season than Remy. However, I think that Swansea have shown they have quality elsewhere that would cope without. They would still have finished in a respectable position. That is nothing compared the Remy could have had on QPR.
Yeah they would be just fine without the guy who scored 17 goals this season :lmao:
You admit Michu's had a better season and you know he has cost Swansea a fraction what Remy is costing QPR therefore he's a better signing. Why is this so hard for you to understand. Do you have a fetish for spouting bullshit?

I exaggerated the top 5 of the entire season
See that wasn't so hard was it? It's much easier to just admit your wrong rather then running around in circles with hypothetical situations to try and justify your stupidity.

but it could have been different. Remy's performances have been decent - his goals valuable - if QPR stayed up than he would have been an incredible signing. That is what I was implying- a hypothetical situation that was very close to being a reality, that if Maloney didn't score, QPR would have a very good chance of staying up. IF QPR stayed up than he would have been a very very good signing.
But that's all it is, a hypothetical situation and should have no bearing on judging a players ability.
Is Remy a good player? Yes
Was he a good signing for QPR? Fuck no
Fact is QPR realised they were in trouble and attempted to buy their way to safety. Samba and Remy were panic buys. They club payed over the odds in transfer fees and wages to convince them to join and they are worse off points wise from it. Remy and Samba are not worth 100 grand a week so neither have any business being considered good signings.
A good signing is where you sign someone who performs at an ability better then their price tag and wages suggest, Remy is not a 100k a week player and certainly has not performed like a 100k a week player therefore he is not a good signing.
There is a difference between a good player and a good signing.

Remy isn't even QPR's best signing from the January transfer window. That accolade goes to Andros Townsend.

The team that appears to have done the best business is Newcastle United as their signings have lifted them away from trouble - exactly what they were supposed to do.

As for the best individual signing of the January window as a whole in the Premiership, I think it is quite a tricky one as none of those who moved in January have made a truly great impact. Sturridge and Coutinho look like they could be good at Liverpool while Joe Cole has done okay at West Ham and Ba looks okay at Chelsea but none of them have set the world on fire.

As for signing of the season, despite the success of the likes of Michu for the money that was spent on him and my own personal liking of Vertonghen (who I would say is pushing Bale for Spurs' POTY), there is only one real signing of the season and that is RVP. His goals are basically the difference between Utd and City at the top of the table and that means he was money more than well spent.

Ok, i dug myself into a hole but my original point was

I think that Remy for QPR was so close to being signing of the season.

Yep, I exaggerated "signing of the season" but if one or two things had gone differently, which they almost did, than he would have been a terrific signing. That is what I was implying in my initial point: he COULD have been a very good signing. Keeping QPR in the Premiership would have made him the best signing of January and top 10 for the entire season. He hasn't, QPR won't stay up and he is therefore NOT top 10.

The point about Michu was merely that I feel Swansea could have coped without. Danny Graham had a good season last year and would have been fine if he played this season. Michu is a better football than Danny Graham. He wouldn't score as many as Michu but Graham would have scored enough to keep them mid-table ( I know it is very tight in the lower half of the table). Remy has had 8 games and is already QPR's top goalscorer. They have had injuries to their strikers but Remy gave them a chance to stay up. The difference between 17th and 18th is far more vital than 9th and 14th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back