• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Domestic Football Thread

The SPL Season has just kicked off that's my weekends till May all planned

Tevez looks no closer to getting his move away from Man City but Aguero looks like he is a bout to move to City and I do feel sorry for Tevez the guy is obviously homesick and wants to move back to South America but yet City have slapped a price tag on him that no South American club could afford

The Modric saga seems to have gone a little bit quiet for now, Alexis Sanchez has joined Barcelona, Arsenal have had bid rejected by Everton for Phil Jagileka as Fabregas has been left out of Arsenal's latest tour, Chelsea are set to sign Barca player Oriol Romeu and Shay Given has Joined Villa

City are seriously gonna be a force to be reckoned with next season. Aguero will slot right in the gap Tevez will leave, only time will tell if money can buy you success.

Tevez is no more homesick in manchester then Paul Scholes. They guys been in Manchester for 4 years if he diddnt like manchester that much he wouldnt have gone to City when his united deal was up. He simply wants another big payday and Corinthians were willing to offer him that. Brazilian clubs have recently got new bumpber tv deals so they have a lot of cash to throw around, Ronaldinho is on 250 grand a week at Flamengo which says it all really.

As for Aguero dont be so sure hes going to be an instant hit, people said the same about Dzeko and look how he turned out scoring only 2 goals since january. He could score 20 goals this season or could just as easily not settle in his first season.

Also Sanchez joining Barcelona for 24 million which could go to 35 based on add ons. Fucking hell Undiniese wanted 45 million straight up cash a month ago. Talk about bluffing.

Rangers 1-1 Hearts​

First game of the season and the Rangers players were already boo'd of the pitch when the final whistle blew and Rangers were poor today and there new lad Ortiz looks like a dud already but I'm not going to forget about Hearts who looked very good today and they defended brilliantly for most of the game and if they play like that every week then 3'rd place will be there's easily

Danny Boy's Man of the Match: David Obua everytime I saw this lad play last season he didn't look anything special but had a very solid performance today caused Rangers all sorts of problems with his height and took his goal very well

I'm bored of the three main transfer stories already. Modric to Chelsea? We all know they're going to do a Berbatov and wait til deadline day to sell him. Fabregas to Barcelona? Hurry up and get on with it. Tevez to wherever? Fuck off, you Argentinian cunt. There, I said it. But yeah, the Scottish season starting in July just feels too soon. aren't Celtic meant to play in a pre-season tournament later this week? Ridiculous.

the Scottish season starting in July just feels too soon. aren't Celtic meant to play in a pre-season tournament later this week? Ridiculous.

Yeah we're playing in the Dublin Super Cup next weekend but in our defense we were booked into it before the early start was announced, but I can understand why there is such an early start if you consider what happend last winter, I think Rangers had 4 maybe even 5 games postponed because of the cold snap so by the time Febuary game around they had those game to play as long as there remaining fixtures and there Europa league fixtures so if it were to happen again there would be less of a backlog

Although they would be doing everybody a huge favour if they just ditched the League Cup

Anyway Celtic are about to kick-off in 5 minutes against Hibs and I'm buzzing

Hibernian 0-2 Celtic

Scrappy match but we got the job done which means at worst we'll only be a point behind Rangers at the end of next weekend with a game in hand, I was very impressed with Kelvin Wilson who is a new signing from Notts Forrest he defended brilliantly and saved a certain goal, Stokes goal was well taken and Ki showed us why people call him Kirrard with well placed long range effort, Hooper also missed a penalty

Danny Boy's Man Of The Match: Ki Sung-Yung. Fantastic posistioning through out the match, his passing was superb and showed everybody why he is being linked to moves to Liverpool, Napoli etc

Rangers 1-1 Hearts​

First game of the season and the Rangers players were already boo'd of the pitch when the final whistle blew and Rangers were poor today and there new lad Ortiz looks like a dud already but I'm not going to forget about Hearts who looked very good today and they defended brilliantly for most of the game and if they play like that every week then 3'rd place will be there's easily

Danny Boy's Man of the Match: David Obua everytime I saw this lad play last season he didn't look anything special but had a very solid performance today caused Rangers all sorts of problems with his height and took his goal very well

It was pretty much a classic 'game of 2 halfs' from what I saw. Hearts were solid in the first half and their right-back (forget his name) deservedly won MOTM. Put in a tough but fair challenge on Ortiz early on which seem to stop him before he could get started and was consistent for the rest of the game.

The second half just seemed like it was played completely in Hearts' half but they defended pretty well to just lose the one goal.

Can't believe the Dons have had a player sent off already, was a bit of a rash challenge by the young lad but I thought they would have learned from last season not to go flying to tackles and risk any more red cards. At least we didn't lose!

@DannyBoy...

You mentioned the Dublin Super Cup, do you see any positives in that competition for Celtic?

Also another question, Rep of Ireland's League Champions Shamrock Rovers (also The Green and White Hoops) are currently in Europe. They've drawn Copenhagen after coming through Estonian opposition. There's an outside chance that they could draw Rangers if they progress. Do you think there would be much support for them over there if they managed it?

@DannyBoy...

You mentioned the Dublin Super Cup, do you see any positives in that competition for Celtic?

Couple of positives one being the money, we will probably earn more from the 2 matches then we will with a home game against Motherwell/Kilmarnock/St Mirren etc and the other being it will give us a chance to get players like Izzy/Kayal,Wayembe/Matthews some game time which they lacked during pre-season, I don't know if you watched the game today but Izzy certainly didn't look 100% and I think that is due to his lack of game time he only played 2 of our freindlies after coming back from a groin problem so some match time in the Super Cup will be a massive help for him and for Celtic.

Also another question, Rep of Ireland's League Champions Shamrock Rovers (also The Green and White Hoops) are currently in Europe. They've drawn Copenhagen after coming through Estonian opposition. There's an outside chance that they could draw Rangers if they progress. Do you think there would be much support for them over there if they managed it?

Well Copenhagen are going to be a very tough team to beat first of all, I remember seeing highlights of them VS Barcelona last season and they seemed to cause them a few problems and certainly didn't look like pushovers so Shamrock will have there work cut out but haven't Rangers fans been banned from the next 2 European away games after there secterian singing at both PSV games because if they are and Shamrock sell-out the stadium (which I could see happening) with just there own fans then it could prove to be a massive test for Rangers.

With as admittedly little as I watch of the SPL (Old Firm games, that's it) I do try and keep abreast of what's going on up there, and I would be extremely surprised if Celtic don't win the title at the end of the season. Extremely. Which is a shame, because I kinda like Ally McCoist. Celtic winning though would be terrific, a massive fuck you from Neil Lennon to everyone that gives him abuse.

With as admittedly little as I watch of the SPL (Old Firm games, that's it) I do try and keep abreast of what's going on up there, and I would be extremely surprised if Celtic don't win the title at the end of the season. Extremely. Which is a shame, because I kinda like Ally McCoist. Celtic winning though would be terrific, a massive fuck you from Neil Lennon to everyone that gives him abuse.

I am the same as you. I have very little interest in Scottish footy other than Rangers v Celtic, mainly due to the fact I used to be a big fan of some the players they used to have in those games- Di Canio, Laudrup, Gazza, Ally McCoist etc.

I think Celtic still have the better team, I have always preferred them due to a few former Bolton players going there over the years- Alan Thompson now being their assistant manager after playing there for a long time.

Celtic winning the league would be great, it is totally out of order what Neil Lennon has been through, it disgusts me that this religious bullshit is still going on to the level it is, its pathetic. To have death threats over managing a particular club because your religion is not that of most of the fans is just sickening, and Lennon is showing such bravery to keep on going when most other people would jsut walk away, and rightly so.

G'wan Lennon son, take the title back to Celtic Park and give the two fingers to all the people who have abused you. I would love to see that.

I watched some of the Audi Cup games over the last 2 days, not all of them though as it started at five and some of us dont get home from work until six. Good stuff, even if it was mostly reserves, I still see the opportunities to watch Bayern and AC Milan play each other as a novelty, you can get Man United and Chelsea 4 times a year sometimes. I'd rather watch those reserve teams than most of the Premier League teams as it goes. Even the Barcelona B-Team are immense. Err. . . Yeah

Well, Bolton are in the shit

Our best player, South Korean international Chung Yong Lee has broken his leg after a shit tackle by a crap Newport County player in a pre-season friendly and will be likely out for most of, if not all of next season.

One of our few top-quality players, I am devastated by this, as it will be a huge blow to us and we could struggle this year if we cannot replace Lee with someone as good. We are being linked once again to Shaun Wright-Phillips who has been told he can leave Manc City, and alos Wladamir Weiss, another City player who is alot younger and impressed during a short loan spell with us a few years ago.

With Gary Cahill not yet being sold (and therefore not getting money in to spend on players), the failure to resign Daniel Sturridge or get any other strikers in, Lee's injury and also Jussi Jaaskalainen reportedly unhappy and refusing to sign a new deal....we could be in for a long, hard season.

I am so fed up right now

2 Games into the SPL season and the scottish media are reporting we have a managerial sacking as Mad Man Romanov has sacked Jim Jefferies after only 2 games into the SPL season this is despite a good draw at Ibrox last week and very unlucky to lose to Dundee Utd yesterday although nothing has been confirmed yet

And talking of mental people Mike Ashley has said that Joey Barton is avaliable for Free this summer and I think alot of premier league clubs will be in for him despite his reputationand with Joe Enrique reportedly unsettled at Newcastle then the Toon might be in for a long season

And I completly sympathise with Naitch, Lee had a very good season last season and quickly become one of my favorite players in the Premier League but if they can get Wright-Phillips then he can be a good replacement for him although I would rather have Lee but I'm not too sure about Weiss as he didn't have a good season up at Rangers, looked vey lazy at times but I don't know wether that was due to him playing in Scotland, also Mancini has apparently said he is willing to let Craig Bellamy go out on loan to Celtic so weather or not Mancini is willing to let him go to another Premier League club then it will probably be worth hijacking that bid

In other news Valencia has signed a new contract at Man Utd, Goodwillie is having a Medical at Blackburn Rovers and Wayne Routledge looks set to leave Newcastle for Swansea

Joey Barton going on a free, jesus, I know Newcastle did well out of Carroll as Liverpool effectively paid £35 mil for a Donkey but letting Barton and Nolan go for a pittance might be a bit suicidal. I know they've bought all of these wonderfull french players and all that, but what if the guys dont work out which is oh so often the case? If/when they lose Enrique they could well be fucked.

Sorry to see Chung Yong Lee injured, he is one of the main reasons Bolton are no longer a "oof it to tha big man, kick Arsenal off the pitch" kind of team.

2 Games into the SPL season and the scottish media are reporting we have a managerial sacking as Mad Man Romanov has sacked Jim Jefferies after only 2 games into the SPL season this is despite a good draw at Ibrox last week and very unlucky to lose to Dundee Utd yesterday although nothing has been confirmed yet

Ridiculous decision. You need stability in order to get success. Otherwise, the players are constantly getting used to new coaches, new training methods, tactics and the coaching staff themselves will be getting used to the players. Romanov is a lunatic, its completely unfair replacing Jefferies.

And talking of mental people Mike Ashley has said that Joey Barton is avaliable for Free this summer and I think alot of premier league clubs will be in for him despite his reputationand with Joe Enrique reportedly unsettled at Newcastle then the Toon might be in for a long season

Again, Ashley is a moron. Barton is one of the Toon's best players and worth a decent sum of money, so why give him away? If you don't want him...SELL HIM. People would buy. Ashley has basically thrown a few million quid away there, what a fool. Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs are already linked. I would definitely take Barton to the Reebok. He seems to have calmed down now, and is a very decent player and set up alot of Carroll's goals for Newcastle last season.

And I completly sympathise with Naitch, Lee had a very good season last season and quickly become one of my favorite players in the Premier League but if they can get Wright-Phillips then he can be a good replacement for him although I would rather have Lee but I'm not too sure about Weiss as he didn't have a good season up at Rangers, looked vey lazy at times but I don't know wether that was due to him playing in Scotland, also Mancini has apparently said he is willing to let Craig Bellamy go out on loan to Celtic so weather or not Mancini is willing to let him go to another Premier League club then it will probably be worth hijacking that bid

Lee is a quality player and will be hard to replace thats for sure. I would certainly take Bellamy, I have always rated him but supposedly he is on stupid money at City, so it would depend on whether we could afford him. Getting him on loan may be an option though, surely worth a cheeky phone call to City....

In other news Valencia has signed a new contract at Man Utd, Goodwillie is having a Medical at Blackburn Rovers and Wayne Routledge looks set to leave Newcastle for Swansea

Valencia is a quality player, he is doing a great job for Man Utd at the moment. I have heard Goodwillie failed his Blackburn medical although that is just people talking at work, he may not have. Routledge has always impressed me when I have seen him but he has played for 9 clubs in 10 years, so that is saying to me that he has some sort of attitude problem, is unable to settle or just is not as goosd or consistant as he looks on TV???

Another bit of gossip for you, apparently SWANSEA are in talks with the free agent DAVID TREZEGUET?!! I know he is 34 but still, that is a serious name. Surely Bolton should be taking a look at him, seeing if he can still cut it. Even just a couple of years ago Trez was top quality.....and we badly need 2 strikers

Well, Bolton are in the shit

Our best player, South Korean international Chung Yong Lee has broken his leg after a shit tackle by a crap Newport County player in a pre-season friendly and will be likely out for most of, if not all of next season.

One of our few top-quality players, I am devastated by this, as it will be a huge blow to us and we could struggle this year if we cannot replace Lee with someone as good. We are being linked once again to Shaun Wright-Phillips who has been told he can leave Manc City, and alos Wladamir Weiss, another City player who is alot younger and impressed during a short loan spell with us a few years ago.

With Gary Cahill not yet being sold (and therefore not getting money in to spend on players), the failure to resign Daniel Sturridge or get any other strikers in, Lee's injury and also Jussi Jaaskalainen reportedly unhappy and refusing to sign a new deal....we could be in for a long, hard season.

I am so fed up right now

At least Stuart Holden is close to coming back now, but it does indeed suck that Lee is going to be out for so long. Not sure how long he's been with Bolton but towards the end of last season he seemed really settled and even a bit of a game-changing player to some degree.

SkySportsNews are saying that Berbatov could be on his way to PSG before the transfer window closes. I do like him and think a big centre forward is always a great option, but Rooney and Owen have had a decent pre-season, plus we have Diouf, Macheda and Welbeck back as extra cover while Chicharito recovers from his concussion. Be a bit sad if he does move on but we're not too short of options upfront! Now if we can get a central midfielder I'll be chuffed

At least Stuart Holden is close to coming back now, but it does indeed suck that Lee is going to be out for so long. Not sure how long he's been with Bolton but towards the end of last season he seemed really settled and even a bit of a game-changing player to some degree.

In my opinion Chungy was better the season before last, he was absolutely on fire. Last year when he came back from international duty in January he looked very tired and was used more as a substitute before getting his form back towards the end of the season.

You are right, Holden coming back will be a MAJOR boost for us, he is absolute quality. It is always great to bring in an unknown player on a free and him turning out to be phenomenal. Our season fell apart after his injury so it will be great to have him back, the sooner the better! :)

SkySportsNews are saying that Berbatov could be on his way to PSG before the transfer window closes. I do like him and think a big centre forward is always a great option, but Rooney and Owen have had a decent pre-season, plus we have Diouf, Macheda and Welbeck back as extra cover while Chicharito recovers from his concussion. Be a bit sad if he does move on but we're not too short of options upfront! Now if we can get a central midfielder I'll be chuffed

I have never been a fan of Berbs. I get he is a quality player, great touch/vision/skill etc, but he is such a lazy bastard I just cannot take to him. He has even said in the papers that he will never put more effort in, as he feels he has done enough and will keep playing the way he has been doing

I wouldnt be surprised to see him move if Man Utd can get around £20m for him. You have had a couple of decent years out of him, and he won't be first choice with Hernandez and Rooney there, plus players like Diouf, Macheda and Wellbeck being on the fringes of th squad, plus a master finisher (when fit) in Michael Owen, who has always been a favourite of mine.

£20m would be great business for Berbatov in m opinion, I would bite your hand off!

I have never been a fan of Berbs. I get he is a quality player, great touch/vision/skill etc, but he is such a lazy bastard I just cannot take to him. He has even said in the papers that he will never put more effort in, as he feels he has done enough and will keep playing the way he has been doing

I wouldnt be surprised to see him move if Man Utd can get around £20m for him. You have had a couple of decent years out of him, and he won't be first choice with Hernandez and Rooney there, plus players like Diouf, Macheda and Wellbeck being on the fringes of th squad, plus a master finisher (when fit) in Michael Owen, who has always been a favourite of mine.

£20m would be great business for Berbatov in m opinion, I would bite your hand off!

Aye Berb is a very frustrating character; when he turns it on it can act as a boost to other players around him, but when he comes across as stroppy and disinterested then it has a detrimental effect. As he doesn't have a lot of pace, it'd be good if he could have played a deeper role but then he doesn't have the energy levels to busy the opposing defensive midfielders so it's best for him to stay up-front.

Owen has been unlucky with injury so much I can't help but feel sorry for the guy. If he had stayed fit during the end of the 09/10 season I think we honestly could have won the league as Berb just wasn't handling the pressure. I still think Owen's best game was against Wolfsburg away when he got a hat-trick, but by the weekend it had seemed to evaporated. We got him on a free too, good times! :D

Yeh I was surprised that Berb's price was that high to be honest, I think I'm right in thinking he's in his last year of the contract, so I figured between 10-15 mill but if we come out of it with only a 10 mill loss then that's pretty dam good!

Been a heck of a couple of days north of the border, David Goodwillie has joined Blackburn Rovers this is despite Rangers makeing 7 bids for the players it is being reported that he has joined Rovers for £2million, Hearts have appointed former Sportling Lisbon boss Paulo Sergio as there new manager, Rangers have been knocked out of the Champions League after there 1-1 draw against Malmo meaning they lost 2-1 on aggregate they will now drop into the Europa League qualifiers, it is being reported that Craig Bellamy has turned down Celtic's loan offer however Celtic are rumoured to have an intrest in Joey Bartonbut his wage demands could prove to be a stumbling block.

Back down south, Leroy Lita & Routledge have completed there transfers to Swansea, Steed Malbranque has left Sunderland for French side Saint Etienne and Italian newspapers are reporting that Carlos Tevez maybe joining Inter Milan.

Paris SG look like the next big team in Europe with all this news linking them to Berbatov, in May this year they got taken over by some Qatari billionaire guy and have already signed Pastore for £30million along with Sissoko from Juventus and if they do sign Berbatov then they will surely win the French League next season but I do think they are paying over the odds for him considering he has only a year left on his contract but if he bags 20+ goals for PSG then i'm sure nobody will be complaining and if Celtic somehow do manage to sign Joey Barton then I will crawl on my hands and knees all the way to Glasgow and lick Lennon's shoes clean, it will be a brilliant peice of business if we sign him

I don't know why Swansea have signed Lita and Routledge, they really need to sign a strong midfielder like Barton (even if I do despise him) or that Marcos Senna that they were in talks with.

Rangers disappoint again. Just saw their record in Europe since April 08 and I must say that it is depressing to look at if you're a Rangers fan, 1 win in their last 23 games. Ally McCoist isn't off to a very bright start.

I don't see Inter coming up with £50m for Tevez. It's a ridiculous price tag to place on him, it's not like City need the money and it would help the other 3892329 strikers there find some playing time if he left. Also, Aguero is slightly similar to Tevez in terms of work rate and creativity.

Berbatov should leave Man Utd. He proved last season that he is too good to be a bench-warmer and I could see him really impressing if he was to go to a place like France or Italy.

And Chelsea are now being linked with Pato and apparently are prepared to make £30m bid on him. Ugh..I'm sick of us being linked with players and STRIKERS ESPECIALLY when there is enough talent in the squad and with players like Anelka and Sturridge fighting for a place in the team why on Earth would Chelsea need another striker!?

And BTW I'm calling Utd to beat City at the Community Shield on Sunday.

I don't see Inter coming up with £50m for Tevez. It's a ridiculous price tag to place on him, it's not like City need the money and it would help the other 3892329 strikers there find some playing time if he left. Also, Aguero is slightly similar to Tevez in terms of work rate and creativity.

I dont know why they are asking for so much? I cant see anyone being willng to pay £50m for Tevez, and if he doesnt wanna be at City, the get rid of him. They will more than likely make a small profit on him anyway, and having someone who wants to leave being forced to remain at the club can be disruptive. Thank him for all he has done for City, then bid him farewell.

And Chelsea are now being linked with Pato and apparently are prepared to make £30m bid on him. Ugh..I'm sick of us being linked with players and STRIKERS ESPECIALLY when there is enough talent in the squad and with players like Anelka and Sturridge fighting for a place in the team why on Earth would Chelsea need another striker!?

Seems a strange one, perhaps they are thinking of getting rid of one of the strikers they already have? Hopefully Sturridge, and then he can come back to Bolton :)

And BTW I'm calling Utd to beat City at the Community Shield on Sunday.

Very tough one, but I think I am with you on this one. A 2-1 Man Utd victory, with Owen on the scoresheet if he makes an appearance, as well as Nani, with Aguero scoring for City if he is over his stomach bug.

Seems a strange one, perhaps they are thinking of getting rid of one of the strikers they already have? Hopefully Sturridge, and then he can come back to Bolton :)

If Chelsea get rid of any striker, it should be Kalou. He isn't that bad but he isn't very clinical at finishing which, of course, is vital.

It seems as though Villas-Boas is genuinely interested in keeping Sturridge although there has been talk of him having another season away on loan which would likely be at Bolton.

Hopefully by the time Drogba or Anelka retire, Sturridge is still a Chelsea player :)

The Football League season kicks-off tomorow night as Hull City take on recently relegated Blackpool, I full expect West Ham to come straight back up into the Premier League especially if they can keep hold of Scott Parker who is being rumoured to be moving to either Stoke, Chelsea or Spurs but even if they do lose him they still have got the likes of Kevin Nolan and Rob Green, I'll be keeping an eye out for AFC Wimbledon this season as they make there debut season in the Football League, I think it's fantastic that they have reached this level in only 8 years since there birth after there fans were preety much robbed of there Football club when the original Wimbledon were moved to Milton Keynes, I'm also going to be following the Conferance very closely as there are now 2 Lincolnshire teams playing in that league and here's a fun fact for you all, Lincolnshire is the second biggest county in England but we haven't had a Lincolnshire team play at the highest level in English Football in 63 Years

My Predictions for the Championship this season are as follows

Automatic Promotion Candidates
West Ham
Leicester
Birmingham

Play-Off Candidates
Blackpool
Cardiff City
Hull City
Leeds United
Milwall
Reading

Mid-Table
Burnley
Derby
Ipswich
Nottingham Forest
Portsmouth
Watford

Bottom Half
Brighton
Bristol City
Middlesbrough
Southampton

Relegation Candidates
Barnsley
Coventry
Crystal Palace
Doncaster
Peterborough

And predictions for this Weekend's Championship matches

Hull 1-1 Blackpool
Coventry 0-2 Leicester
Brighton 2-1 Doncaster
Bristol City 0-0 Ipswich
Burnley 2-2 Watford
Derby 0-3 Birmingham
Middlesbrough 0-0 Portsmouth
Nottingham Forest 3-1 Barnsley
Peterborough 1-1 Crystal Palace
Reading 3-2 Milwall
Southampton 1-1 Leeds
West Ham 4-2 Cardiff

In Premier League news, this more injury woe for Bolton as new signing Tyrone Myers has broken his leg in training after only joining the club last week, QPR have signed DJ Campbell for Blackpool, Alan Pardew has now offered Joey Barton a truce and Chelsea have signed 19 year old Oriol Romeu from Barcelona.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back